Possible Future Coach

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brett Reed at Leigh is mentioned in the article and is a guy that I think should get a look.

I agree. I've been looking at names since Majerus took the leave of absence, and he came up as an intriguing possibility. Young coach, recruited CJ McCollum to Lehigh, and coached Lehigh to the upset of Duke in the NCAA Tourney last year. Interesting fact about him is that he is one of I think it's less than 5 D-1 head coaches that has a Ph.D.

Brett Reed at Leigh is mentioned in the article and is a guy that I think should get a look.

I agree. I've been looking at names since Majerus took the leave of absence, and he came up as an intriguing possibility. Young coach, recruited CJ McCollum to Lehigh, and coached Lehigh to the upset of Duke in the NCAA Tourney last year. Interesting fact about him is that he is one of I think it's less than 5 D-1 head coaches that has a Ph.D.

McCollum has been hurt and they have kept on rolling. Undefeated with a victory over Bucknell with McCollum out.

Wait awhile. Maybe soon we will know.

All that matters is the C7+ decision. If we get in we should be able to recuit a top notch coach. Much better situation than the current A-10 with all the lower tier teams, finally TV exposure and TV revenue, quality players will want to be in the new league. A golden boy up and comer or an established coach will want to come here, especially with the understanding that Biondi will be gone soon. The program will ascend to an even higher level.

However, if we do not get in, it will be extremely difficult to get a good coach, with the uncertainty that would follow. The A-10 decimated w/o B, X, D, and Temple.. and where will SLU go? It might take yrs and it may not be close to the attractiveness of the C7+.

First off --- I don't understand how these rankings work. Yeah, I read Forbes' explanantion but that doesn't cut it for me. Second, sorry, but there is no way St. Bonaventure is a "high major" program. They are more like a low-major program in a mid-major conference but that is about it. And to me, Schmidt's value, and he certainly deserved A10 coach of the year last year but I don't think he got it, is inflated due to one season riding one special guy who will likely never re-materialize in Oh-Lee-In again. Well, never say never .... Bob Lanier 1970. Andrew Nicholson 2012. Someone else, yet unborn, 2054.

In looking at the high-major guys, I see very few that I would think would leave their current situations. Definitely Schmidt at Bonaventure; even though he signed through 2018, no way anyone there can't see the near impossible ongoing task at hand for whomever coaches there. Maybe Bone at Wazzou, although I admit to having no knowledge what it's like to live in Pullman-Nowhere, Washington. That's about it. Guys like Dunphy and/or Mack will move to movew up, not across. Although I woudl thinkour jobmight be perceived as a step down from either Temple or Xavier (for now).

I think the most likely hire will/could come from the low-majors. Just an eyeball look at guys like Nagy at South Dakota State, Amaker at Harvard, Young at Wofford and Witherspoon at Buffalo all might be worth a look along with the Lehigh guy. Lehigh is my first love as it was the first college campus I ever visited. Gorgeous -- just I couldn't do 2+2 let alone engineering so I was out of there. Ellis, Bartow and Davis are all retreads. Paulsen, from Bucknell, is a screamer and a whiner. No thanks. Som eof the others look ancient and I want a young up-and-comer.

Anybody on anybody else's benches right now .. ala Crean and Gregory at Izzoland? Brey, Amaker and Dawkins all came out of K-ville in Durham. But Quinny was a failure. Amaker also bombed at Seton hall as I recall.

Whatever, things are obviously wide open. I can say I want not one of the talking heads coming out of studio ala Rick did.

McCollum has been hurt and they have kept on rolling. Undefeated with a victory over Bucknell with McCollum out.

They were just spanked at home by a bad Lafayette team.

They were just spanked at home by a bad Lafayette team.

Wow, didn't see that.

amaker doesnt excite me but i see no transgressions that would "give me a heart attack." of course the fact he comes out of the duke family tree is a sign he knows a few tricks. wonder if he set up a fake degree program at harvard?

This may have been discussed in one of the older possible new coach threads, but what about Steve Prohm from Murray State? He really seems like he would be a great get.

I was kind of high on this guy, but spoke to some Murray St. fans at the Charleston Invitational over Xmas, great little tourney wish we'd get in it one year, and they said he was ok but was left last year with a bucket load of talent from the former HC who left for TX A&M. Sooo, let's see how he does this year. Everyone down here thinks USC (Carolina not California) should have hired the Wofford coach instead of Martin from KState. Of course, they only care about Spurrier and his ***** so what do they know? I agree though, the quality of this hire is going to depend on which conference we're in. Guys would give up their first born to get the chance to compete in the C7 + 3 or 5 unknowns.

Ray Giacoletti from Gonzaga is another name I've been hearing as one of those top assistants about to hit it big somewhere.

Giacoletti already followed Majerus once. He was the first permanent head coach at Utah after Majerus left there due to the health issues. He did great in his first year with Andrew Bogut, then not so much the next year. Maybe he's learned a few things at Gonzaga.

Roy, I thought any violations were a no go with you.

That would have made us the opposite ends of the spectrum on Billikens.com.

what was amaker's violation? if he indeed has a past, then cross him off the list.