Bruce Pearl

mbart33

That Show Cause order is quite the problem.

That, plus the fact that Pearl is a complete sleazeball. If you aren't familiar with his prior work, Google some combination of Bruce Pearl and Deon Thomas. When Pearl was an assistant at Iowa, he lost out to Illinois on Deon Thomas, who became a star at Illinois. Pearl couldn't take losing the recruit, so he badgered Thomas until the kid sarcastically admitted to receiving improper benefits from Illinois. Pearl recorded the conversation and went to the NCAA, who found no improper benefits given by Illinois to Thomas.

Pearl is a good coach, but he's very slimy. As I understood, he was essentially blacklisted from coaching in the Big 10.

I think he would be the best replacement for rm--he made a mistake at tenn-

because he invited 3 players to a party of 100 in his back yard

come on he's perfect for st louis

and I think he'd take the job

any one have any thoughts?

He didnt get fired because of the party, he got into trouble because he lied and covered up, like Jim Tressel. I believe he refused to acknowledge to NCAA investigators that the pictures he was shown were from his own backyard.

The guy has serious character flaws. He secretly recorded his phone conversations with Deon Thomas when he was an assistant at Iowa to try to get Illinois in trouble.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pistol" data-cid="337035" data-time="1358790263"><p>

That would be a disastrous hire. He's probably the least liked guy in college basketball, and that includes by those who work in college basketball.</p></blockquote>

Maybe if Pearl rolls around crying and praising the Lord people will forgive and forget like most have with Ray Lewis.

I really enjoyed Danny Hurley on Saturday. Man, he had those guys fired up. URI will cause a lot of problems for teams this year.

Audition done. Now we need to make a move.

URI has lost 10 games this year and are ranked offensively near the bottom nationally in almost every category. They won't out coach many other coaches in the country like they did Crews. We should be able to do better than the Hurley's.

I really enjoyed Danny Hurley on Saturday. Man, he had those guys fired up. URI will cause a lot of problems for teams this year.

URI has lost 10 games this year and are ranked offensively near the bottom nationally in almost every category. They won't out coach many other coaches in the country like they did Crews. We should be able to do better than the Hurley's.

totally agree. i have faith that father biondi, chris may and dr chaifetz will hit a homerun. my bigger concern is it happens asap. not making a hire till late may or june would be horrible regardless of who we hire simply for recruiting purposes alone. looking at the makeup of our roster, it is crucial we get some impact freshmen the next two years as the drop off in our talent after mccall, jett and evans is terrifying imo.

Hurley was a total whiney ****** during the entire game and should have been T'd up about 3 times. No thanks.

Way too much baggage.

I do have some trust in Mays to make a good choice. His other choices have been solid so far. Women's team and Volleyball. I'm not sure if he is due credit for keeping Hendrickson (baseball coach) around but he's stayed after having some success.

Way too much baggage.

I do have some trust in Mays to make a good choice. His other choices have been solid so far. Women's team and Volleyball. I'm not sure if he is due credit for keeping Hendrickson (baseball coach) around but he's stayed after having some success.

-you could get an argument on vball

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SShoe" data-cid="337055" data-time="1358793960"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bobby Metzinger" data-cid="337034"><p>I really enjoyed Danny Hurley on Saturday. Man, he had those guys fired up. URI will cause a lot of problems for teams this year. <br />

<br />

Audition done. Now we need to make a move. </p></blockquote>Hurley was a total whiney ****** during the entire game and should have been T'd up about 3 times. No thanks.</p></blockquote>

A Whiney little ****** who wins on the road and shows emotion. that I'll take it any day of the week over the corpse that is Jim crews.

I don't mind a little emotion in a coach, but he was over-the-top and looked more like a clown than a coach. He's also 6-10, so let's no anoint him the second coming of Coach K.

Your team is going to take the personality of the coach. If the coach whines and cries after every call, eventually the players will do the same.

And nobody is advocating for Jim Crews. That being said, Hurley is coaching for his life/career, while Crews came out of retirement to be an assistant as a favor to Rick when Jensen left. He's now the head coach for a program where he has no real shot at becoming the long-term coach and even if he wins he'll only get a small portion of the credit for "not screwing it up." So while I wish he'd take greater ownership of this team, I can understand why there's little incentive to basically go bat-shite crazy like Hurley did during the game.

I believe every time we have a hiccup like we did against RI, it motivates Chaifetz and May to get a little more aggressive in their thinking about needing to make a big splash. I am not happy with any loss, but if there is any silver lining it's got to be that it motivates our decision makers.

I don't think Crews will be considered at all! But, if we did make a run and get to the Sweet 16 or something crazy like that, then the decision makers may still not hire Crews, but they could still consider a Crews caliber Coach.

We're not playing for the round of 32 or the Sweet 16, so I would hope our decision makers are saying to themselves that even the legendary RM didn't take us to the Sweet 16, so we need to make even a bigger splash than him.

I believe every time we have a hiccup like we did against RI, it motivates Chaifetz and May to get a little more aggressive in their thinking about needing to make a big splash. I am not happy with any loss, but if there is any silver lining it's got to be that it motivates our decision makers.

-I hope you are correct

That's plausible. I still think that if Soderberg hadn't lost games to St. Bonaventure and Duquesne early in the conference season in his last season, he might have been given another season. At the very least, I questioned his ability to lead the program after those losses.

Does anyone really want to see Pearls naked torso painted in Billiken Blue cheering the woman's team? Forget Pearl. He'll likely end up at another hurting BCS program, pull a Cell Kel, and land at an NBA development team. The guy's poison.

I think we should be looking at good young mid major coaches who're doing good things with their programs. Would love to bring in Marshall from WSU, but am not sure Fr. B would pony up the $1.5 to $2.0mm it would take to land him. Also, Bennett at St. Mary's, but I'm guessing there must be some issues with him, since none of the BB challenged PAC 12 schools have offered him a job, ie USC, ASU, OSU (oops can't fire the POTUS's brother in law).

We all know there's a Stevens and a Smart type out there someplace. Let's hope May has their files on his desk.

Does anyone really want to see Pearls naked torso painted in Billiken Blue cheering the woman's team? Forget Pearl. He'll likely end up at another hurting BCS program, pull a Cell Kel, and land at an NBA development team. The guy's poison.

I think we should be looking at good young mid major coaches who're doing good things with their programs. Would love to bring in Marshall from WSU, but am not sure Fr. B would pony up the $1.5 to $2.0mm it would take to land him. Also, Bennett at St. Mary's, but I'm guessing there must be some issues with him, since none of the BB challenged PAC 12 schools have offered him a job, ie USC, ASU, OSU (oops can't fire the POTUS's brother in law).

We all know there's a Stevens and a Smart type out there someplace. Let's hope May has their files on his desk.

May will make the right move. For some reason, I have this eerie sense of confidence in him this time.

May will make the right move. For some reason, I have this eerie sense of confidence in him this time.

"this time" gives me the vibe that you think he has messed up hiring in the past. what coach hire has he made that has been bad?

imo the wild cards regardless are

1. men's basketball is the athletic department program money maker

2. even biondi has to have dollar signs in his eyes about the catholic 7

3. reportedly dr chaifetz still on board.

all imo add up to chris may will be provided adequate material to make a big hire.