Q: Carter situation??

DoctorB

Can we please just stop the speculation about players transferring... this was a top nominee for chicken little thread of the year. I also got a kick out of the poster who declared he wasn't all that impressed with Carter after watching him play a few minutes in the first game and a half. By most accounts the kid was the second rated senior in the state of Illinois. That is good reason to believe the kid has some game. He flashed some of it last night (yes it was a weak opponent). I wish folks could go back and read some of the stuff said about Kwamain during the first month of his freshman year. Quite a few people were very unimpressed. It was great to see Carter get out there and look forward to him getting more experience this year. I still expect him to step in and be the starter next year which will allow Jett to continue to come off the bench.

I do not understand the need or the want to have certainly players "come off the bench." Last year the talk was it was great to start Loe and have Cody come off the bench (and often play more minutes.) This year its Carter and Jett. If Carter is good enough to bump Jett and/or Jett's motor isn't up to playing all game at a high level so be it but otherwise I don't get it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand the need or the want to have certainly players "come off the bench." Last year the talk was it was great to start Loe and have Cody come off the bench (and often play more minutes.) This year its Carter and Jett. If Carter is good enough to bump Jett and/or Jett's motor isn't up to playing all game at a high level so be it but otherwise I don't get it.

Like the big man used to say, starting is for high school. Jett and Cody coming off the bench gave us a huge edge last year. Other teams couldn't match that. Jett just brings instant energy and you can put him in at the 1, 2 or 3 if we go small. Carter is more a true 1 and I think would work very well with McCall. I can't wait to see Jett, McCall, Carter and Mitchell all in the same guard rotation.

When the team is short-handed and Jett is forced into playing 35+ minutes and serving as the first option on the offensive end, that's going to take a toll on his defensive intensity. He has to conserve energy and temper his aggression in order to stay out of foul trouble.

When the team is at full strength with Mitchell and Carter, Jett can have an even greater impact playing fewer minutes because he's able to rev up the defensive intensity knowing that he'll get a breather.

As far as Jett starting or coming off the bench...I personally think it's preferable to have either Evans or Jett in the game at all times. With Carter and Kwamain coming back from injuries, Jett will probably continue to start for the foreseeable future, but at some point when Kwamain is back to full strength, it should revert back to Mitchell/McCall with Jett coming off the bench.

when mitchell gets back i would give the lions share of the minutes to jett, mccall, mitchell, evans and remeken. taking minutes from any of the five to come closer to a conventional type lineup imo would be detrimental to our final results. they will be the five best players. ellis is close. but after that the level drops dramatically imo.

when mitchell gets back i would give the lions share of the minutes to jett, mccall, mitchell, evans and remeken. taking minutes from any of the five to come closer to a conventional type lineup imo would be detrimental to our final results. they will be the five best players. ellis is close. but after that the level drops dramatically imo.

ANd Manning should be inheriting any of Rob's minutes...ROb seems to have regressed considerably

ANd Manning should be inheriting any of Rob's minutes...ROb seems to have regressed considerably

If Rob can come off the bench and hit a couple of 3's to stretch the defense I think he could have a nice role on this team. Trying to morph him into a back to the basket center that plays 25-30 minutes a game(which Crews is doing) isnt going to work.

Yeah, I'd like to see more of Manning. And after being the whipping boy early in the season, I think Barnett has been playing pretty well since the Valpo game. Not only is he hitting some shots, he takes it to the hoop on occasion, plus his passing and rebounding are not bad. I think he can be useful role player. If we go with a 9-man rotation when Mitchell gets back, I will be interested if Carter or Barnett get the minutes. It may depend on match-ups.

barnett was driven by on three ocassions last night. if he cant guard eastern guards, pity the night we get to conference play.

i totally agree i would currently give loe minutes to manning. that said, when conference play comes around, not sure if either are going to be good enough for major minutes vs the better teams. let's not forget manning fouled out a couple a games ago w barely ten minutes floor time. yes he is doing a lot of things right, but he isnt ready yet for major minutes. the problem is loe appears not able either. play the four guards and remeken. evans and jett are both strong enough to guard bigger players and their offense will be fine vs the larger players they will be matched against. then you got ellis to add to the mix when size is just a must. beyond those six, i wouldnt be worried about giving big minutes to anyone else. use sparringly according to the matchups that will hurt us the least. i am not saying just play 6 guys, but i definitely wouldnt have anyone else seeing 20+ minutes when we get to the conference games.

Barnett does not know how to run an offense of any sort. He does everything at 100 miles per hour, not understanding that you have to run sets at half speed to be successful. He looks like the faster he can get to the next spot on the floor, the better he is. He just doesn't get it. I don't think he ever will. Has a nice shot and seems like a nice kid and a team player.

Barnett does not know how to run an offense of any sort. He does everything at 100 miles per hour, not understanding that you have to run sets at half speed to be successful. He looks like the faster he can get to the next spot on the floor, the better he is. He just doesn't get it. I don't think he ever will. Has a nice shot and seems like a nice kid and a team player.

I can live with his offense as an 7th/8th/9th man. I do think his defense he will come in handy against teams like Temple.

JB has the nose for the ball thing going for him leading to more than average rebounding and even steal situations but he does not get separation so he is in a position to score withe the speed he has. He probably gets blocked more than anyone else on team.

Carter needs to play - period. Not start but needs to get meaningful minutes - he is our future for next year.

He needs to play, but only in situations where he is not going to kill you defensively. When his defense improves (and it will) he will get more meaningful minutes. Worrying about next season is nice, but this season is the first priority.

He needs to play, but only in situations where he is not going to kill you defensively. When his defense improves (and it will)n he will get more meaningful minutes. Wotty about next season is nice, but this season is the first priority.

+!