Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is "make or break".

• If we do not get in, we are in an even weaker/less attractive A-10 and will have trouble recruiting players and getting a top notch coach. Not good.
  • If we get in, move to a much better league, more TV revenue & exposure, can get top notch recruits and coach. Good.
If B7 goes with 12 teams, with our TV market & arena, etc, even SLU administration cannot not blow it (?), we should be "in". If they go with 10, we are probably on the bubble at best. But who knows what seven Catholic Presidents are thinking, and what they can agree upon. Speculation (tweets, message boards) is futile.

This is a little curious:

"Asked Saturday night during the Billikens' 73-51 win over Tennessee-Martin, SLU athletics director Chris May said he's yet to have any contact with members of the departing schools.

"At this point no," May said. "At this point were focused on how we can continue to help the A-10 and the A-10 is positioned well. We feel strongly about the Atlantic 10 and how it's taken its next steps with Butler and VCU while at the same time we feel good about where we're positioned nationally

Game Face, bro...

Posted Image

I think one of the key factors in determining the size of the BE7 will be time. If they want to start the league next Fall they may go with 10. However, if they have to wait a couple of years they may use the extra time to expand to 12 (or more). The official line from the existing BE is that the BE7 can't leave till early 2015. Of course, that is subject to change. Bottomline is time is running out to start a league in the fall of 2013. I think pushing the starting date back works in favor of the Bills.

Here is what we know for sure at this point from reliable sources:

SLU is in.

SLU is out.

Dayton is in.

Dayton is out.

Dayton sucks (the one thing all sources have agreed on).

Butler is in.

Butler is out.

It will be all Catholic.

It won't be all Catholic.

The Zags are in.

The Zags are out.

San Fransico and St Mary's are both in.

Creighton is in.

Creighton is out.

Evansville is headed to the Horizon.

Creighton and Dayton will both be put in a couple year holding plan on their invite.

Georgetown led this whole thing.

Georgetown wanted one last chance to save the old Big East after the other schools decided to leave.

Georgetown is headed to the ACC.

The league will have 9 teams.

The league will have 10 teams.

The league will have 12 teams.

The league will have 16 teams.

The leaue will be coast to coast.

The A10 would like to expand to 21 teams.

We should really just leave it at this until an announcement is made. Everyone hears what they want to hear.

I think one of the key factors in determining the size of the BE7 will be time. If they want to start the league next Fall they may go with 10. However, if they have to wait a couple of years they may use the extra time to expand to 12 (or more). The official line from the existing BE is that the BE7 can't leave till early 2015. Of course, that is subject to change. Bottomline is time is running out to start a league in the fall of 2013. I think pushing the starting date back works in favor of the Bills.

If this is about money, and it is, then I think the new conference will start in 2015. There is some consequence to lame duck seasons but the remaining Big East members will keep some fading glory longer and the 7 leavers get more cash in exit fees (and less in penalties). If the new conference starts any earlier then the existing 7 Big East teams have to pay more and it is possible that additional teams leaving other conferences will have to pay to get out as well. The opposite influence is the need to start a new identity and I suppose that has monetary value as well.

I really don't see the reasoning in taking DU over us. Small market, same market as X basically, we are close in recent success on the court. Granted, they fill their building w/ sweater vests and they travel like gypsies, but in terms of TV numbers what will they add to a contract? Wouldn't the network, assuming it's ESPN, say, "Dayton and X basically share the same market, we'd rather you go w/ St.Louis whose market is bigger than X's and Dayton's combined."

By the way, Fr. B telling TT that he'd like to see a 20 team national conference really shows how clueless he is when it comes to athletics. Get on the phone to GU, Fr. B, they seem to be the lead dog on this sled.

I really don't see the reasoning in taking DU over us. Small market, same market as X basically, we are close in recent success on the court. Granted, they fill their building w/ sweater vests and they travel like gypsies, but in terms of TV numbers what will they add to a contract? Wouldn't the network, assuming it's ESPN, say, "Dayton and X basically share the same market, we'd rather you go w/ St.Louis whose market is bigger than X's and Dayton's combined."

By the way, Fr. B telling TT that he'd like to see a 20 team national conference really shows how clueless he is when it comes to athletics. Get on the phone to GU, Fr. B, they seem to be the lead dog on this sled.

Fr B's opinion on that actually mirrors the opinion of some people inside the BE7 according to what Mike Brey said on ESPN.

Well I am no expert on THIS particular subject; but asking, how do "the TV numbers" work?

If you go by strict Metro area population, sure SL is 3.3 million or so, far more than Dayton.

But Ohio is far, far more densly populated than Missouri, a lot of hoops fans, if you do a 100 - 150 mile radius or so around Dayton, I would think there are more TV viewers and alumni down the road and in nearby Cincy and Columbus and the big population in between.

For us, outside of our SL Metro area, there is not much compared to Dayton.

Not certain, just wondering.

Good thing the Dominican order is not in charge the Spanish Inquisition was brutal and by some accounts lasted decades

'twas also necessary in order for orders like the Jesuits to thrive :). If you know anything about Ignatius of Loyola.

One thought that runs in my head, say in a perfect world they decided 12 is the number, and want an East and West. So West you could have Butler,,Dayton, DePaul. Marquette, SLU, and X. Then another idea would be adding Creighton to the mix, if so would they seperate Dayton and X , moving one to the East?

Would the Big XII have any intention of adding any Basketball only schools?

We can't lose in either scenario, then?

optimistic... i wish i could be like you, but i am in my late twenties and getting more pessimistic by the minute. my opinion is if slu does not get into the new catholic league.. it will be a gargantuan trainwreck for our program. i want to believe that biondi can get it done seeing that he has Georgetown roots & all... but, with his recent comments about a super conference.. I personally think he just doesn't get it.

One thought that runs in my head, say in a perfect world they decided 12 is the number, and want an East and West. So West you could have Butler,,Dayton, DePaul. Marquette, SLU, and X. Then another idea would be adding Creighton to the mix, if so would they seperate Dayton and X , moving one to the East?

Would the Big XII have any intention of adding any Basketball only schools?

The Big XII, nor any other BCS conference, have any intention of adding basketball only schools at this point. Its all about football now.

If this is about money, and it is, then I think the new conference will start in 2015. There is some consequence to lame duck seasons but the remaining Big East members will keep some fading glory longer and the 7 leavers get more cash in exit fees (and less in penalties). If the new conference starts any earlier then the existing 7 Big East teams have to pay more and it is possible that additional teams leaving other conferences will have to pay to get out as well. The opposite influence is the need to start a new identity and I suppose that has monetary value as well.

The wild card is the BE7 can change the rules because they have the required 2/3 majotity to do so until July1 ....do away with penalties, exit times etc. They may decide to forgo collecting exit fees from others as it may be more valuable to just leave and cut a new deal....But if they plan on forming a league for fall 2013 then they do not have until July 1...They have to do something now and even at this date it is iffy. As I said earlier, time is the Bills friend....the longer this takes ie pushing the opening date past the 2013 season...the better chance the conference will be larger and increase our chances of getting in.

I'd like it, maybe not as much as going w/ the B7, but the A-10 would be wise to do it. We'd be back w/ old rivals UC, Memphis, and still end up w/ Temple. One thing it would definitely rival the B7 for star power.

I don't know how realistic it would be, but it would be a very nice option if SLU misses out on the New Big East.

Over last several days I have been visiting some of websites to see what is happening. The following inside sources have said that the 10th team will be (this assumes Xavier and Butler are the 8th and 9th teams):

from the Marquette website - Dayton

from the Georgetown website - Creighton

from the Butler website - St. Louis

I guess depending on what school you are from you decide which one is creditable. If any?

I hope the poster is correct, but this is a poster with 11 posts on that board.

Here's the thread I found: http://butlerhoops.c...ead.php?tid=326

If the past is any indication he knows what he is talking about. That doesn't mean he can't be wrong, especially since things like this can change from one day to the next, but he has credibility.

I went to this guy's post, and as you read down there's another guy that's pretty certain it's Creighton (that's the only school I think we know for certain that has been contacted by the C7). So, go figure.

Anyone got ESPN insider? Lunardi has an article that someone on the Butler board summarized. In short, Lunardi said if you look at the Catholic 7 in terms of dance invites, other than three schools the other 4 have not contributed much in NCAA $'s. So, if the C7 wants to make the kind of NCAA money they did in the old Beast they'd be wise to go to 12 or 14 schools, ie more dance invites.

Using Lunardi's logic might suggest why we're being overlooked in favor of Creighton and Butler. One NCAA appearance in 12 years makes us an entitlement program not a tax payer. Fr. B's miserly ways with Spoon and over the next 7 years may come back to bite him in his tuckus. The arena and hiring of RM helped but might well have been too late.

Taking Lunardi's logic and applying it to a 12 or even 14 team conference we again might be passed over for Zaga and either Dayton or St. Marys. However, I don't see how Zaga and St. M's other sports would work given their location, but I guess they could come in as BB only members.

If Lunardi's thinking applies to the C7, their pecking order would be as follows:

8.X

9.Butler

10. Creighton

11.Zaga (actually no 1, but WC location hurts)

12.St. Marys

13.Dayton

14.VCU (doubtful given they're a state school)

15.SLU

We better hope TV markets come into play, or we may be in the A-10 for a long time.