Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in the era of "massive conferences" I don't see why the BE wouldn't wanna fit in like SEC and big 10 and expand all the way to 12. 10 would make them stand out, in yet a nother negative why..

Yes. You don't think he has looked at the books of his fellow Jesuit schools in the BE and remembers how much easier it was to draw crowds when we were in a conference with bigger name opponents?

I do believe it but I also see us getting into this new conference and not upping our athletic budget substantially and being the cellar dwellar for years. Biondi and SLU are going to have to make a massive committment to the athletic department in order to be competitive and thats something he hasnt done in the years he has been president.

The value of the first weekend of the NCAA tourney is watching teams like Lehigh and Norfolk st beat teams like duke and mizzou. The tv networks certainly understand this and would bid accordingly.

The big schools don't share that much money with the lower conferences. You get paid on how many games you play and there are only about 30 spots guaranteed to the lower conferences. With about 130 units to be had, the big schools still control over 75% of the revenues as long as they win the early round games.

-I think a lot of the attraction to the NCAA tourney is wagering, you know the office pool where the secretary picks based on jersey color

Yeah, just like our buddies MU and DePaul did back in '04. I have a feeling Dayton and X would say they don't care as long as their in. Can't fathom why they'd leave SLU out for either DU or Butler. DU hasn't done much lately except disappoint, although they travel well and sell out just about every game. Yes, Butler's had a nice run under Stevens, but they really compete with IU for any TV market in the state. Whereas, SLU is all alone in the 21st biggest market, although we do have the same problem w/ the 800 lb gorilla that lives in Boone County.

Its been known over a year that Xavier and Butler would be the targets if this ever happened. For the rest, its hoping you are #3 or its a 12-team config

I do believe it but I also see us getting into this new conference and not upping our athletic budget substantially and being the cellar dwellar for years. Biondi and SLU are going to have to make a massive committment to the athletic department in order to be competitive and thats something he hasnt done in the years he has been president.

Gotcha. I thought the point was that might scare Biondi away from a new conference. I don't think it would scare him away, but I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to do it on the cheap once we got there (especially the non-revenue sports).

Its been known over a year that Xavier and Butler would be the targets if this ever happened. For the rest, its hoping you are #3 or its a 12-team config

That was one report and that didn't involve the BE totally breaking up. No one besides X should feel totally comfortable.

in the era of "massive conferences" I don't see why the BE wouldn't wanna fit in like SEC and big 10 and expand all the way to 12. 10 would make them stand out, in yet a nother negative why..

-from their perspective why is 10 a negative?

Gotcha. I thought the point was that might scare Biondi away from a new conference. I don't think it would scare him away, but I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to do it on the cheap once we got there (especially the non-revenue sports).

We are on the same page. But one other thing, if we know that Biondi will go on the cheap with funding the athletic programs dont you think the BE7 knows the same thing and will shy away from inviting us. This is what scares me.

I thought it might be interesting to see how the new potential teams stack up against the BE7. This is just using this season's data. While the season is still young, I think there is enough data at this point to make comparisons.

BE7

GT......A-

Marq...A-

DeP....B

Prov...B

St. J....B

S Hall..B

Vill.......B-

Potential add ons

Creighton...A+

Gonz..........A+

SLU............B+

St. Mary's...B+

Butler.........B+

X................B+

Day............B

So it looks like at this point if they take teams from this list it will be making the new conference stronger..

Fairly or unfairly, the outcome of all of this is going to play a large roll in the legacy of Chris May and Father Biondi. I hope they both have cancelled all appointments and been on the phone all day. If Father Biondi is truly the mafia like power broker that he is sometimes portrayed to be, which I don't necessarily think is a fair view, then this should be his moment to shine. Father B, please start twisting some arms and calling in favors.

If we end up not being invited to this new conference, and end up in a diluted A-10 or in Conference USA or the MVC, then this will be viewed as a huge failure for both May and Biondi. If we end up getting the invitation, then they both should and will get accolades for making it happen. I'm guessing that Father Biondi is thinking that he really needs this right now with all the other issues going on at the campus. Hopefully, some of his Jesuit friends at these other schools agree.

In all the conference realignment talk today, this stuck out:

Why Dayton over SLU?

SLU has a larger media market that isn't covered, a much newer (and state-of-the-art)arena, and a better profile going forward?

What am I missing there?

I'm the biggest SLU homer, but do we really have a better profile going forward? Dayton has a slightly better NCAA resume the last 15 years, top notch attendance and the whole first 4 games for whatever it's worth. Let's not forget, Dayton appears to have a strong partner in X and is geographically a little better situated for an east coast conference. Finally, Dayton spent about $6mm more on athletics than SLU did last year: http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-budget/_/A-10

I also agree with you that SLU has some things in its favor as well: arena and market size.

I wonder how the SLU boosters stack up against the Dayton boosters? I imagine that would have some impact on the profile going forward.

In all the conference realignment talk today, this stuck out:

Why Dayton over SLU?

SLU has a larger media market that isn't covered, a much newer (and state-of-the-art)arena, and a better profile going forward?

What am I missing there?

Who said that? Everything I've seen and heard has said Dayton is basically screwed unless they decide to take 12 or more teams. Dayton is useless if Xavier is picked.