Remekun and Barnett

NH

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Loe is what he is maybe he should become "was". He should have been able to hold his own against Withey-we need a big who plays like a big.

You don't like Loe, I get that. But to think he should have "[held] his own" against Withey is ridiculous. Withey will be in the conversation for the All-American team at the end of the year.

Yes, Loe needs to play better, but come'on man, give Withey some credit.

You don't like Loe, I get that. But to think he should have "[held] his own" against Withey is ridiculous. Withey will be in the conversation for the All-American team at the end of the year.

Agreed.

And, actually, Withey will be in the conversation for Player of the Year as well as All-American. I can't believe I have seen some comments on here thinking that Withey is a stiff, that he isn't all that good, etc. Withey is one of the best, if not the best, all-around big men in college this season. He will probably lead the nation in blocks while posting a double-double for the season. While I would have liked to have seen Loe play a lot better last night, and Manning be given a chance to do something against Withey, he was going to get his points, rebounds and blocks regardless. He is going to be the best big man the Bills face all season, by far.

Agreed.

And, actually, Withey will be in the conversation for Player of the Year as well as All-American. I can't believe I have seen some comments on here thinking that Withey is a stiff, that he isn't all that good, etc. Withey is one of the best, if not the best, all-around big men in college this season. He will probably lead the nation in blocks while posting a double-double for the season. While I would have liked to have seen Loe play a lot better last night, and Manning be given a chance to do something against Withey, he was going to get his points, rebounds and blocks regardless. He is going to be the best big man the Bills face all season, by far.

Hey, I thought Withey was a fine player and might be the best big man we face this season but I think many of you are overstating his greatness. I just wasn't impressed with his offensive game. Again, he is a great shot blocker and rebounder. But before last night, he had played four games and had 11 or fewer points three of those games. His best point total of the season was 17 against SEMO on a night he went 5-of-12 from the field. And SEMO doesn't have a player over 6-9 on their team. The only two BCS schools he played (Wash St. and Mich St.) he scored 8 points a piece in those games. I would love to have him on the Bills and think he is a fine player but I don't see him as an All American or Player of the Year. It was just a game, though. Maybe he'll show me more going forward. My "stiff" comment maybe was a little too much but I thought we made it way too easy for him.

The problem is Loe was never around Withey to find out if he could do some good. Withey is good but played properly by a big his effectiveness could be limited. Loe should have been sitting and given JM a chance to gain experience. If he's not better than Loe in the post then the next two years are going to be painful.

as i said in a previous post, some of the catches in traffic that withey made were excellent. most people take those catches forgranted but that is an example of something that doesnt show in the box score that ultimately is a difference maker due to the scoring opportunity that will follow that catch.

same with his blocks. remeken is probably just as good of a jumper, but while cory gets the block, he also commits the foul whereas withey not only doesnt commit the foul, he normally recovers the ball as well.

another withey play that stands out in my mind from last night, remeken had the ball on the left block. a billiken was cutting down the right side of the lane and remeken tried to quickly pass off to the streaking billiken. withey didnt deflect the pass, he took the pass. yet he was only inches away. the level of quickness and hand to eye coordination to make that play isnt normal for a big imo. i could have seen a deflection, but to just grab it out of the air that close was pretty amazing imo.

i never liked arizona, so i am actually pretty happy they lost out on this kid.

same with his blocks. remeken is probably just as good of a jumper, but while cory gets the block, he also commits the foul whereas withey not only doesnt commit the foul, he normally recovers the ball as well.

another withey play that stands out in my mind from last night, remeken had the ball on the left block. a billiken was cutting down the right side of the lane and remeken tried to quickly pass off to the streaking billiken. withey didnt deflect the pass, he took the pass. yet he was only inches away. the level of quickness and hand to eye coordination to make that play isnt normal for a big imo. i could have seen a deflection, but to just grab it out of the air that close was pretty amazing imo.

That steal was a great play, Jett had his man beat for a bucket in the paint if the pass got in there.

Withey got away with at least two no-calls similar to plays that Rob and Cory got called for on our end. We were by far the inferior team, but we could have done some damage if he would have been in foul trouble.

you sure you werent watching loe instead of withey? imo withey was all anyone could expect of a college big. made some very difficult catches and most importantly, finished. even when fouled or bumped. and then he made his foul shots as well. cant say the same for our guys. second, he was blocking shots without fouling and his help defense was nothing short of fantastic. the guy is an all american and was the real difference of the game. relaford might have had a great first half, withey had a great game.

Withey has turned into one hell of a college basketball player on both ends of the court. The big difference between this and last year appears to be that he doesn't get frustrated as easily. Corey blocked his shot twice on the same trip in the first half. Last year Withey would have been crap for the rest of the game. He played his best basketball after that happened last night.

I couldn't watch, but listened to the game. A few comments re posts in this thread... If you're going to judge JB's defense based upon his ability to guard mcclemore m2m you're going to come away disappointed. Same with Evans on releford. The bills should have had a zone to go to. We should have made releford prove the 1st half shooting wasn't a fluke and it was. He wouldn't continue at that that rate. Collapse the zone on their big who was scoring and made him kick it out. Having a primary d is good, but you have to be able to adjust to the circumstances.

I was at both tourney games and from where I sat, SLU missed KM big time against KS. KM would have made sure that we scored more consistently by driving more and taking the 3 pt with a man on him. MM did fine but he is not a pg - he is best suited for the 2.

Two other things - the KU fans are the whinniest group I have ever seen. There were a few KU fans in our sections and they would look appalled that anybody would say something about one of their precious KU players - my guess is they are simply used to playing at Allen Field House and only hear supportive things. Also, anybody know why the SLU fan and then a KU fan were thrown out of the stands?

There still seems to be no leader on this team, which is frustrating. I like that we play team basketball, but without KM nobody seems to want to step up and be the leader.

I, too, wish we would have seen more of JM against Withey. Not only was RL's shot not falling, but his form looked off all night. I think JM and CR would have been an interesting match up down low in the second half.

I will say it again, I was very happy with many things last night. Sure, I would have liked a win, but this team was not intimidated at all and hung in there all game.

I know we are all want to know the status on Carter and now Jett, but how long will it take GG to get back from a dislocation? We need bodies.

I felt the game was officiated the way I thought it would go with some questionable calls but that is not the reason the Bills lost. Releford wide open to make shots even he couldn't miss was our undoing. The 2nd half Releford is what I remember from him the past 3 years. I was surprised we held down Elijah Johnson like we did since he is very athletic as well.

Not having Mitchell really hurt as he could have exploited the only weakness the Jayhawks have at the point. Apparently the KU crowd was really rough on Cody fr taking charges like he did. (One was made up by a Young flop).

Let's take this loss out on Methdale next game and show Hinson he should have stayed on the KU staff.

Was thinking the same thing. The only stiff I saw out there last night was Loe. If he's not hitting 3's why is he in the game?

Was thinking the same thing. The only stiff I saw out there last night was Loe. If he's not hitting 3's why is he in the game?

That is the same question I have. Loe is a bust imo. He is now a junior and should be playing better by now. Barnett is more productive at this point than Loe is. However, maybe Loe would be a much better player if they let him play his game and be an outside player. Just because he's tall does not mean he can be effective inside. It's time to play Manning or Drew. I'll be glad when we can sign big men who are not projects. I know there are those of you who don't agree that Loe is a bust but, based on the reputation he had coming in, he is. Against what can of competition can Manning play? How often will he not be a good match-up for?

I couldn't watch, but listened to the game. A few comments re posts in this thread... If you're going to judge JB's defense based upon his ability to guard mcclemore m2m you're going to come away disappointed. Same with Evans on releford. The bills should have had a zone to go to. We should have made releford prove the 1st half shooting wasn't a fluke and it was. He wouldn't continue at that that rate. Collapse the zone on their big who was scoring and made him kick it out. Having a primary d is good, but you have to be able to adjust to the circumstances.

Amen.

Well, we did adjust our d somewhat. We were daring Releford to shoot it from deep early on and he killed us. We couldn't afford to come out in the second half and dare the guy who had already put up 21 to keep shooting.

That is the same question I have. Loe is a bust imo. He is now a junior and should be playing better by now. Barnett is more productive at this point than Loe is. However, maybe Loe would be a much better player if they let him play his game and be an outside player. Just because he's tall does not mean he can be effective inside. It's time to play Manning or Drew. I'll be glad when we can sign big men who are not projects. I know there are those of you who don't agree that Loe is a bust but, based on the reputation he had coming in, he is. Against what can of competition can Manning play? How often will he not be a good match-up for?

if you are suggesting he play the 3, watching him vs relaford last night would have been hillarious. he doesnt have the outcourt skills beyond shooting the three to even think wing. and even shooting the three hasnt been a rousing success for him. i still have hope for him, but as you suggest, he's a junior now and i see the same player that came to saint louis university in the fall of 2010

if you are suggesting he play the 3, watching him vs relaford last night would have been hillarious. he doesnt have the outcourt skills beyond shooting the three to even think wing. and even shooting the three hasnt been a rousing success for him. i still have hope for him, but as you suggest, he's a junior now and i see the same player that came to saint louis university in the fall of 2010

This is what is disappointing to me. He looks exactly the same now as he did his first game as a freshman. He's an asset when he is hitting the three, but hasn't seemed to improve that or develop any other part of his game. It seems a little silly to claim that Barnett has passed him after one good game when rob has been at least a valuable role player for 2 full seasons IMO

This is what is disappointing to me. He looks exactly the same now as he did his first game as a freshman. He's an asset when he is hitting the three, but hasn't seemed to improve that or develop any other part of his game. It seems a little silly to claim that Barnett has passed him after one good game when rob has been at least a valuable role player for 2 full seasons IMO

Barnett has played two good games this season and has shown to be a better rebounder. That by itself makes him more of an asset to the team as Loe is usually weak on the boards. I'm not saying he has passed him but it seems the coach has,at least against the more athletic teams. It sure ould be nice to see him reach his potential before he leaves. Broy, I was referring to his offense. He has to play defense close to the basket.

Well, we did adjust our d somewhat. We were daring Releford to shoot it from deep early on and he killed us. We couldn't afford to come out in the second half and dare the guy who had already put up 21 to keep shooting.

I guess it comes down to ... do you believe he could continue that?

He shot 4-6 from 3 in the 1st half. Before this game he was at 28% on the year and he shot 32% last year. I believe 95% of the time water finds it's level and believe it would have last night also. The thing is we don't have the personel to stop Whitney especially if Cory gets a couple of fouls. Just my opinion, but you stop the inside 1st. We needed to double down on the bigs and dare Releford or McLemore to beat us from the perimiter. There are so many instances of a player that scores 20 getting most of those in 1 half or the other. I don't believe Releford could have or would have had another 4-6 from 3 half. He'd have had to prove it to me, so I believe daring him to continue is exactly what we should have done. If he hits 2 quick, then change, but like I said. I'd have made him prove it to me.

I guess it comes down to ... do you believe he could continue that?

He shot 4-6 from 3 in the 1st half. Before this game he was at 28% on the year and he shot 32% last year. I believe 95% of the time water finds it's level and believe it would have last night also. The thing is we don't have the personel to stop Whitney especially if Cory gets a couple of fouls. Just my opinion, but you stop the inside 1st. We needed to double down on the bigs and dare Releford or McLemore to beat us from the perimiter. There are so many instances of a player that scores 20 getting most of those in 1 half or the other. I don't believe Releford could have or would have had another 4-6 from 3 half. He'd have had to prove it to me, so I believe daring him to continue is exactly what we should have done. If he hits 2 quick, then change, but like I said. I'd have made him prove it to me.

That's fair. But we did just that in the first half and he proved that he could hit he open shot. You don't just continue to make a kid "prove it" when he's already having a career game.

We had a good game plan, but when someone's going off like that you have to start guarding him. After we actually started checking him the game got more competitive.

IF he wouldn't have been hitting those open 3's early on the game would have likely been a lot different.

I blame Reed for Loe's lack of development. Majerus never had the personnel to give Loe a season like he gave Ellis his sophomore year. Loe needs to be broken down to nothing and rebuilt just like Ellis was. Until that happens he'll be all potential and very few results. Sadly its too late now and the man to do it isn't coaching here anymore.