Kwamain Broken Foot

slufan13

Sh*t.

KM is clearly our best player and our leader, and I appreciate the optimism, but even after the 6+ weeks it will take him quite awhile to get into game shape and then longer to be effective at game speed... just like last year. Then IMO he will be himself for only the last 1/3 of the season. That means we should be ready for a strong finish like last year but really hurts our "big season" hopes.

AND losing Majerus might be a huge issue, that is to be determined. The players came to play for the legend Majerus, how will his loss affect their attitude, their respect? Majerus is a perfectionist, a 24/7 fanatic about precise execution, a master of the game plan and halftime adjustments. Crews might be able to keep it in the middle of the road, but the question is "to what extent"?

We are deep but losing our star player and star coach will make things very difficult. I hope the kids step up, rise to the occassion.

Solid post. Pretty much agree with everything.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Key is to beat Texas A&M and make sure we get Kansas on the schedule. Probably go 12-2 out of conference which was a very real possibility anyway. Maybe 11-3, but I don't see this team losing at home. The schedule isn't as weak as some people make it out to be, but we need Kansas on there anyway.

Prediction:

Kwamain is tough as nails and one of the best natural athletes I've seen. He comes back by December 1st. The excitement of his progress leads the team to a close loss to Kansas followed by a win @ Washington. Kwamain eases his way back into the rotation because McCall and Jett dominate games themselves. Evans puts together 3 double doubles while Kwamain is out. Manning averages 6 and 6. Cody and Rob rain 3's from deep. SLU goes 13-1 out of conference. Kwamain is at full strength and put together 30 points in a breakout game against New Mexico. SLU starts the conference season ranked 16th. Has one minor slip up in the conference season and the board goes into negativity mode, but SLU finishes 15-1 in the A10 and 28-2 overall. Kwamain's injury ends up letting multiple other guys break out and this team becomes the best in Billiken history. Runs the A10 Tournament in Brooklyn as Jay-Z takes an interest in Billiken Basketball. Sets up for a 1 seed in the tournament. After beating Mizzou in the Elite 8, SLU's historic run continues with a National Championship after Kwamain hits yet another deep clutch 3 at the end of the game to win. Crews decides to retire a champion. Jay Z and Chaifetz put their resources together to hire a big name coach and Biondi is forced to step down after he tries to say that the National Championship is bad for the school because it puts too much focus on athletics. SLU skies in the rankings and becomes a top 25 school.

Key is to beat Texas A&M and make sure we get Kansas on the schedule. Probably go 12-2 out of conference which was a very real possibility anyway. Maybe 11-3, but I don't see this team losing at home. The schedule isn't as weak as some people make it out to be, but we need Kansas on there anyway.

Prediction:

Kwamain is tough as nails and one of the best natural athletes I've seen. He comes back by December 1st. The excitement of his progress leads the team to a close loss to Kansas followed by a win @ Washington. Kwamain eases his way back into the rotation because McCall and Jett dominate games themselves. Evans puts together 3 double doubles while Kwamain is out. Manning averages 6 and 6. Cody and Rob rain 3's from deep. SLU goes 13-1 out of conference. Kwamain is at full strength and put together 30 points in a breakout game against New Mexico. SLU starts the conference season ranked 16th. Has one minor slip up in the conference season and the board goes into negativity mode, but SLU finishes 15-1 in the A10 and 28-2 overall. Kwamain's injury ends up letting multiple other guys break out and this team becomes the best in Billiken history. Runs the A10 Tournament in Brooklyn as Jay-Z takes an interest in Billiken Basketball. Sets up for a 1 seed in the tournament. After beating Mizzou in the Elite 8, SLU's historic run continues with a National Championship after Kwamain hits yet another deep clutch 3 at the end of the game to win. Crews decides to retire a champion. Jay Z and Chaifetz put their resources together to hire a big name coach and Biondi is forced to step down after he tries to say that the National Championship is bad for the school because it puts too much focus on athletics. SLU skies in the rankings and becomes a top 25 school.

You do have a point in that others step up in his absence. It has been a benefit to this team that players had to step up at an early age which benefited us in the latter years. We saw in with KM, DE, and MM. This may really help KC and benefit us greatly in the future as well.

Prediction:

I love the optimism, '13!

We are a really good team even without KM, best SLU team in my memory. (I'm 20) we should still be favorites to win every game but KU and maybe UDUB. And If he recovers well and we have a healthy rested angry KM in conference play I am scarred for the rest of the A-10.

*scared

kids these days and their disrespect for the English language...

Everything that could have gone wrong for this team in the offseason has gone wrong.

What's that saying about being a Billiken fan?

Bobby-

Billiken nation can't lose confidence in the positive changes and direction in the program under Majerus over the last 4 years. We must stick the course because things have gotten much better. We inherited a debacle. Don't let the media spin the situation. We'll all be happier come November.

Optimistic,

Patrick

Bobby-

Billiken nation can't lose confidence in the positive changes and direction in the program under Majerus over the last 4 years. We must stick the course because things have gotten much better. We inherited a debacle. Don't let the media spin the situation. We'll all be happier come November.

Optimistic,

Patrick

This would have been a better post had we been 7-21 last year

Ok, it's hard to look at these developments thru my billiken blue glasses. Teams that lose their mad genius HC and then their team leader who's a projected all conference player are going to have a bit of difficult road to travel. But it is what it is. My hope right now is that we come on strong in conference play I'd agree with an 11-3 or 10-4 non con record, but when KM gets back, he won't be at full speed. Remember he won't even shoot a ball for another 6 weeks. It's how we finish that concerns me. That will determine whether we're dancing or going Not In Tournament route.

This sucks. We will not be the same team or as good without Kwamain. How can anybody argue otherwise?! Sure we're deep, but losing your best player is going to cause repercussions. The sky isn't falling, but my expectations are much lower now...meaning a W against Kansas went from doable to doubtful in my book.

atleast the team will be deeper come conf and march...

Although in the past some on this board have questioned our recruitment of so many guards, we are really blessed to have such quality depth when our best guard and most important player now has gone down with an injury. Against the big time teams it is impossible for this not to set us back a bit and we may lose some games we would have won, particularly on the road like the game at Washington. But the fact that KM was out for an entire year when MM and JJ were frosh will make this a whole lot easier to survive because they are true D1 guards with athleticism and saavy. The real wild card at this point is a question of how quickly KC will adjust and become a real contributor. I, for one, was surprised at how big he looked at the Fanfest. He is listed as the same size as MM but he is bigger, possibly much bigger and he also looks stronger. He clearly has good instincts and looks to be a young guard who understands that a big effort is required on the defensive end. With a key player hurt it opens an opportunity for others to step up. MM and JJ have already proved they can play and if KC can mature quickly and plays like he did in some very big games in high school we may all be very pleasantly surprised. Also, JB has to step up and play some solid minutes and hit some shots for us to be really competitive against good teams if any of our top three guards get in foul trouble. The whole situation kind of gives me an upset stomach but it also will be pretty exciting to see how the team handles losing its best player.

The door was left wide open 05. If it ain't a curse, then please explain it. I'm more than willing to entertain your thoughts and vast insight.

There's no such thing as curses, Kwamain's injury is bad luck plain and simple. With regards to Coach, everyone knew he was on borrowed time as HC to begin with.

Billikan- I completely agree with u. This is a big loss but no billiken team has ever had this kind of experience in the bench. The fall off might not be as big as some expect.

Billikan- did carter look ready to step in as a starter? If so then well definitely be fine because I can't imagine how good he must be to play ahead of Jett and mccall

Although in the past some on this board have questioned our recruitment of so many guards, we are really blessed to have such quality depth when our best guard and most important player now has gone down with an injury. Against the big time teams it is impossible for this not to set us back a bit and we may lose some games we would have won, particularly on the road like the game at Washington. But the fact that KM was out for an entire year when MM and JJ were frosh will make this a whole lot easier to survive because they are true D1 guards with athleticism and saavy. The real wild card at this point is a question of how quickly KC will adjust and become a real contributor. I, for one, was surprised at how big he looked at the Fanfest. He is listed as the same size as MM but he is bigger, possibly much bigger and he also looks stronger. He clearly has good instincts and looks to be a young guard who understands that a big effort is required on the defensive end. With a key player hurt it opens an opportunity for others to step up. MM and JJ have already proved they can play and if KC can mature quickly and plays like he did in some very big games in high school we may all be very pleasantly surprised. Also, JB has to step up and play some solid minutes and hit some shots for us to be really competitive against good teams if any of our top three guards get in foul trouble. The whole situation kind of gives me an upset stomach but it also will be pretty exciting to see how the team handles losing its best player.