Assistant Coach

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your points but maybe Crews didn't have those contacts. Crews took the safe way out and chose someone he knew. I do expect next years staff to be almost entirely different. I think we will find out how good Chris May is by what our staff looks like next year. It will be interesting.

I guess it is pretty hard to have any African American contacts or younger contacts after being involved in college basketball for the last 40 years.

May said last week at the booster lunch that the primary consideration with this assistant was his ability to game plan. They are not looking to Platt for recruiting. That tells me that they are intending him to be a long term staffer.

-guessing you missed a 'not' in there or 'long' should be 'short' as someone to game plan and not recruit doesn't seem like a long term option

We hired the guy who's previous job was dbo at Liberty after having numerous asst coaching jobs as our asst. It's not like he's a young and upcoming dbo ... he's a dbo because no one gave him a better offer after seeing what he was about for many years.

Again, what outstanding young assistant is going to leave a secure job to come to a school where he is not guaranteed employment beyond this year?

Again, what outstanding young assistant is going to leave a secure job to come to a school where he is not guaranteed employment beyond this year?

Wait a second. Are you talking about an outstanding young assistant who would be our next HC? or our second assistant for this year? Big difference.

No. I'm not suggesting Crews should have hired the top assistant from a BCS coach. If he did, chances are that person would be a better candidate for the HC job than Crews!! Instead, there are alot of younger guys (former players but not necessarily former SLU players) who are either the Director of Basketball Operations the second assistant at a lesser school who would jump at the chance to fill the void here at SLU. How about another team's Tony Young.

Instead, we now have the three (3) Jims -- Crews, Whitesell and Platt -- who each are older, White and not so successful former head coaches.

Whitesell failed at Loyola Chicago, presumably has Chicago contacts already, is the youngest of the three (3) at age 53 and sounds like he is out the door at the end of the season in that I cannot imagine SLU would given him the HC job next year when he was the Associate HC this year and yet SLU elevate Crews over him. If Crews doesn't succeed, it would appear that SLU would go outside for its next HC.

Crews was an up and coming HC years ago with Evansville - but that was years ago. Maybe he stayed at Evansville too long. Maybe he should have left Army (a really tough job). In any event, coaching at SLU and working under Fr. Biondi is not an easy job either. Believe Crews is the oldest of the three (3) coaches and is probably a good interim HC under the circumstances SLU found itself in b/c of RM's health issues. Personally, though, I would prefer someone else for next year.

Platt is probably a nice man. At age 60, though, my question to Crews is "Why?" Was the Crews and Platt team successful at Army? No. If Platt is really good at game planning, does this mean that Crews and Whitesell are not so good at game planning? What does Platt bring to the coaching team that Crews and Whitesell don't have? Does this mean that Platt will replace Whitesell next year as the Chicago recruiter?

Just look at RM. He brought in guys to add and to complement himself. RM didn't need an X's and O's guy so he brought in Porter (a recruiter who knew the kids and the Midwest), he brought in Biancardi b/c of his connections, his eye on talent, his recruiting abilities and his coaching resume, he kept Angres Thorpe b/c of his familiarity with the players, the highschool recruits and for continuity, he then brought in Chris Harriman for his connections with Austrailia, he replaced Porter with another version of Porter (Jim Whitesell) and finally he brought in Crews b/c of his longtime experience (as a short term fix and as his second assistant) b/c RM wanted help immediately (not wait and develop another youngster) and he was just too good pass up.

Hopefully, we will be surprised by Jim Platt.

Yes. In the recent past, it was given that an African American would be of the staff. Dating back to my personal memory with Grawer hiring Lee Winfield, it was given that our white HC would hire a black assistant. Then, things actually flipped with Romar hiring Brad, etc. Then, under RM, the diversity of our coaching staff seemed to stopped. Quite frankly, RM was such an odd bird that this truly didn't seem to affect him or the program. Now, we are back to reality as the dream (HOF RM) is over. Late bloomers and local recruits will again be the norm. So too are natural relationship issues with players and recruits.

In short, and using the Presidential election as an example, it is commonly accepted that a Presidential nominee's first real choice is his running mate and that this choice will say alot about the nominee. Did the nominee pick a strong running mate or weaker one to make himself look stronger. Did he choose someone who will bring to the ticket something the nominee lacks -- votes from a certain swing state, charisma, youth, experience...

Here, I am truly disappointed with Jim Crews' first decision/hire. A 57 year old retread with an unimpressive resume? Why not a youngster? an up and comer? a black coach? a top recruiter?

To me, this is just plain bad hire.

The interim tag tied Crews hands on bringing in a promising AC. No AC is leaving his job 3 weeks before the season to go with an interim HC. Not a real good career move at this point. If Crews really wants to be SLU's head coach, he's got one season to prove he deserves it. However, I've got this awful sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that somehow this season is not going to go as planned/expected. Please prove me wrong.

did not mean to hit quote button but no other choice:

1) what we have is the good ol' boy networking of guys that are yeoman in college basketball. This is a year to close the deal not speculate on

who might be good for the next 15 years.

2) I for one hope RM shows up a little at some point this year and is welcome to sit on his own bench.

3) Whitesell is smart, not all coaches are and taking a risk at Loyola Chicago or Army means you think you can be a change agent;

but sometimes those deals are just too soft to mould in even 5 or seven years. There is a reason the Loyola's and the Armys can't

get it done in MBB.

4) We are in for a season of high expectation and these three guys had better get along like the Three Amigos if they want to win. No

reason to bring in a Quinn Snyder type just because they know how to play the big school system.

5) Crews and Whitesell we know and I would say Jim Platt was probably the first call but it took some negotiation with Biondi to loosen

the purse strings; remember RM was reported to have paid part of some of his assistants' salaries in the past. So Platt probably cost

more than they wanted to offer to start.

Wait a second. Are you talking about an outstanding young assistant who would be our next HC? or our second assistant for this year? Big difference.

No. I'm not suggesting Crews should have hired the top assistant from a BCS coach. If he did, chances are that person would be a better candidate for the HC job than Crews!! Instead, there are alot of younger guys (former players but not necessarily former SLU players) who are either the Director of Basketball Operations the second assistant at a lesser school who would jump at the chance to fill the void here at SLU. How about another team's Tony Young.

Instead, we now have the three (3) Jims -- Crews, Whitesell and Platt -- who each are older, White and not so successful former head coaches.

Whitesell failed at Loyola Chicago, presumably has Chicago contacts already, is the youngest of the three (3) at age 53 and sounds like he is out the door at the end of the season in that I cannot imagine SLU would given him the HC job next year when he was the Associate HC this year and yet SLU elevate Crews over him. If Crews doesn't succeed, it would appear that SLU would go outside for its next HC.

Crews was an up and coming HC years ago with Evansville - but that was years ago. Maybe he stayed at Evansville too long. Maybe he should have left Army (a really tough job). In any event, coaching at SLU and working under Fr. Biondi is not an easy job either. Believe Crews is the oldest of the three (3) coaches and is probably a good interim HC under the circumstances SLU found itself in b/c of RM's health issues. Personally, though, I would prefer someone else for next year.

Platt is probably a nice man. At age 60, though, my question to Crews is "Why?" Was the Crews and Platt team successful at Army? No. If Platt is really good at game planning, does this mean that Crews and Whitesell are not so good at game planning? What does Platt bring to the coaching team that Crews and Whitesell don't have? Does this mean that Platt will replace Whitesell next year as the Chicago recruiter?

Just look at RM. He brought in guys to add and to complement himself. RM didn't need an X's and O's guy so he brought in Porter (a recruiter who knew the kids and the Midwest), he brought in Biancardi b/c of his connections, his eye on talent, his recruiting abilities and his coaching resume, he kept Angres Thorpe b/c of his familiarity with the players, the highschool recruits and for continuity, he then brought in Chris Harriman for his connections with Austrailia, he replaced Porter with another version of Porter (Jim Whitesell) and finally he brought in Crews b/c of his longtime experience (as a short term fix and as his second assistant) b/c RM wanted help immediately (not wait and develop another youngster) and he was just too good pass up.

Hopefully, we will be surprised by Jim Platt.

There was supposed to be a "not" in my earlier post in referring to Platt being brought in for game planning and not recruiting. My bad. In response to the post above, it does not mean that Whitesell and Crews can't game plan. But all coaches are charged with game planning responsibilities. During the regular season, the staff usually spends a couple weeks game planning each opponent. The most efficient way to do that is to rotate who has that primary responsibility for each game. If you brought in a fresh, young AC who didn't know the system and wasn't experienced in game planning on the college level, he would be worthless for most of the season.

There was supposed to be a "not" in my earlier post in referring to Platt being brought in for game planning and not recruiting. My bad. In response to the post above, it does not mean that Whitesell and Crews can't game plan. But all coaches are charged with game planning responsibilities. During the regular season, the staff usually spends a couple weeks game planning each opponent. The most efficient way to do that is to rotate who has that primary responsibility for each game. If you brought in a fresh, young AC who didn't know the system and wasn't experienced in game planning on the college level, he would be worthless for most of the season.

House.

Typos and mistakes happen. No big deal. Thanks for the correction - but I guess I am still unsure about what you are saying. Platt WAS brought in for game planning? and NOT for recruiting?

At the same time, I still have questions with this hire:

1. three (3) older, white and not so successful coaches does not appear to be a recipe for success -- this year or in the future

2. a 60 year experience coach probably can do more game planning (immediately) than a 28 to 32 year old youngster, but why are we looking to our second assistant to game plan? Sure seems like Crews and Whitesell should be able to do all the game planning which is needed. How much game planning did Jansen and Harriman do their first few years at SLU? Retaining the current players, relating to them, preventing division and maintaining a team harmony in the face of a deep and quality bench with only a fixed amount of limited playing time, IMO, seem to be greater issues than game planning. Crews and Platt not only did not win at Army but their relationships with their players seemed as big of a problem as their lack of wins. Unless RL leaves after this year to play professionally, the older players are not leaving SLU. The relationships between the coaching staff and our younger ones, though, such as Drew and Carter, is where attention must be paid. In this regard, having a young, African American assistant coach sure seems better both in the short term (this year) and long term (should there be one for Crews) and, IMO, would not be "worthless." Instead, he would bring something to the coaching staff that isn't already there.

3. What experience does Platt have in knowing and coaching RM's offense and defense? Frankly, I don't think Crews or Whitesell (despite being taught by RM) will be able to coach and have the players execute RM's offense and defense anywhere close to the way RM could do it himself. Unfortunately, our team will not perform as well as they would with RM on the bench but the reality is that RM is gone and we must go on. Again, as Cowboy so eloquently states, It is hard work being a Billiken fan. But why do you suggest and imply that Platt knows or can coach RM's system? No doubt he knows and can coach Crews' system. but RM's??

No. IMO, Whitesell will be gone next year. If Crews is not chosen as HC, both he and Platt will be gone. If Crews, though, is chosen as the HC, then Platt will be back as well (for continuity, b/c he knows the players, b/c he has made contacts with recruits....). To me, Crews, Platt and replacing Whitesell with a younger African American assistant coach is not good enough for SLU. We can - and shoudl - do better.

-clock, i agree that with Rick gone our in game coaching takes a hit, not a knock on anyone just that Rick was just so good there would be a decline with almost anyone in that chair (or stance), what the current staff has to do imo is limit the fall off

-i believe under both brad and Rick all of the assistants would game plan for upcoming opponents

-i agree we could see an entirely new staff for 2013-14

My best hope is these guys can lead us back to the tournament this year, maybe next year too.

However, after that I think we will be down for another 6 to 8 years(2 failed coaching regimes).

I have complete faith in Biondi to screw up the coaching decision and lead us back to insignificance in the college basketball scene.

i think it is pretty common for staffs to divide up the schedule and each asst coach does the advance work on the opponent concerned. that is the game planning. the final plan lies in the head coach's hands but that is predicated on the information that the assistant coach assigned to that game presents to him accordingly.

I think a lot of us are missing the point in all of this. Biondi will not decide who the next coach is, Chaifetz will. He is way too invested now. I recall him saying RM will stay here as long as he wants him to. Circumstances have changed, but there will be a nice hire. Im sure its already in the works.

If Chaifetz develops a heart condition then we are officially screwed. Santa Claus still lurks in a courtside seat

I think a lot of us are missing the point in all of this. Biondi will not decide who the next coach is, Chaifetz will. He is way too invested now. I recall him saying RM will stay here as long as he wants him to. Circumstances have changed, but there will be a nice hire. Im sure its already in the works.

If Chaifetz develops a heart condition then we are officially screwed. Santa Claus still lurks in a courtside seat

-who fired brad and hired Rick? FrB

-i would guess FrB has to at the minimum approve the next coach if not be much more involved in the process

-i am in the camp that has if Crews and company have a good season, by whoever's judgment, then they get hired if they want the job, see brad

I hear you NextYear but the situation is more nuanced. Any candidate we try to woo needs to understand that dealing with Father B comes with the territory. If those candidates talk to RM about it, what do you think he is going to say? Apparently he said very negative things about Father B to Bernie M. Secondly, The good doctor will, of course, be on the search committee and expected to buck up for any high profile coach but remember Rick complaining about money for all the other things he wanted? Biondi is a micro manager to the extreme. He removes money from department budgets throughout the university system for line items he decides are not necessary. The law school dust up and the athletic department deal with the charter flights are but two examples. These issues are beyond the control of even Dr. C. Father B is uncontrollable. He's a true dictator of our university answerable to no one. He's literally an elephant in the room.

-who fired brad and hired Rick? FrB

-i would guess FrB has to at the minimum approve the next coach if not be much more involved in the process

-i am in the camp that has if Crews and company have a good season, by whoever's judgment, then they get hired if they want the job, see brad

From my vantage point here in the cheapseats, Fr. Biondi appears to respond to donors and money. When the donor (Scott) wanted to give the downtown building to SLU, Fr. Biondi made it the new law school without consulting the Law School Dean or apparently anyone else. When Chaifetz became involved with the new arena/donations, Fr. Biondi got rid of Brad without even informing Levick and then publicly let it be know that he, not Levick, hired new head coach -- RM. I can only presume that if the downtown building were not donated, then SLU would still be dreaming of a new law school building with Dean Clark still in charge. Same with the basketball team. Were it not for the appearance of Dr. Chaifetz, Brad would have coached SLU at least one (1) more year in that Brad apparently had the support of Levick, he did win 20 games or so that year and the normal time (immediately at the end of season) to fire the HC had already passed. It's one thing for Fr. Biondi to be the guy in charge and make decisions (good or bad) for what he, as the President, deems to be in the best interest of the school and yet another to make these same decisions but then not use, consult, inform and even publicly embarras the people (whether the Dean, Athletic Director, etc) who supposedly are in charge of their department. Again, Fr. Biondi could easily have brought Levick in to his office, explained the situatuion and had her fire Brad and help me land RM. Same with Dean Clark and the new Law School. Instead, the dictator recklessly did what he did and earned his nickname, yet again, of Fr. Beyondme.