Open Gym

slufan13

Saw the team at the rec today. Got to take in about 45 minutes of play. Probably played at 80% effort. Got more intense at the end if it was close.

Everyone was there. Femi played as well to make 14 players.

Team 1: KM JJ DE CR RL

Team 2: CE JB MM GG Femi

Team 3: McBroom Carter Drew Manning CE

Team 1:

Went 4-0 while I watched. KM looked good. Very quick to the basket. Couldn't miss from 3. DE looked a lot better ball handling. Shot is smoother but still inconsistent. Played well in the post. CR looked improved on defense. Didn't get much on offense. RL looks bigger. Better on D. Smoother on offense. JJ was by far the most improved player out there. Shot loooked better. So quick. Got to the basket and finished with ease.

Team 2:

CE played well. Shot was good. Ballhandling improved. Tried to post up and didn't look bad at all. MM was fine. Didn't see much. Looked quick and better shot. JB looks bigger. Very good rebounder. Has a much quicker shot. Actually looked pretty good. GG looks like he's understanding the sytem but looks like he's still thinking too much. Needs a better feel for the game. So athletic though. Makes up for his lack of size. Femi had a lot of fun. Good to see him around the team still. Good defender.

Team 3:

Most interesting team for me. Carter is very quick. Great vision and a pass first pg. Smooth shot but didn't get any shots to fall. Got to the basket. Shorter than I expected. Needs to put on muscle. Drew isn't that big but looks muscular. Probably a legit 6'6 with a long wingspan. Actually had a very good shot. Very athletic and good defender. Think he could be the better out of him and KC. McBroom has extremely quick hands. Needs to get bigger and stronger but he could create a ton of steals. Thought he had a very very good shot. Possibly the best on the team. Manning looks really good. He'll contribute this year. Strong rebounder. Worked very hard in the post and made a good amount of shots. Also made 2 17 footers. Looks a lot less technical in the post and is played with a good feel for his surroundings.

Just an open gym so nobody is going all out and its easier for players to get shots up and go to the basket but wanted to give some updates.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the summary. I'm sure some of the negative types on the board will come on here and complain that you were too positive but everyone understands that these are just observations and you aren't necessarily predicting NBA futures for everyone on the team. :D

Saw the team at the rec today. Got to take in about 45 minutes of play. Probably played at 80% effort. Got more intense at the end if it was close.

Everyone was there. Femi played as well to make 14 players.

Team 1: KM JJ DE CR RL

Team 2: CE JB MM GG Femi

Team 3: McBroom Carter Drew Manning CE

Team 1:

Went 4-0 while I watched. KM looked good. Very quick to the basket. Couldn't miss from 3. DE looked a lot better ball handling. Shot is smoother but still inconsistent. Played well in the post. CR looked improved on defense. Didn't get much on offense. RL looks bigger. Better on D. Smoother on offense. KK was by far the most improved player out there. Shot loooked better. So quick. Got to the basket and finished with ease.

Team 2:

CE played well. Shot was good. Ballhandling improved. Tried to post up and didn't look bad at all. MM was fine. Didn't see much. Looked quick and better shot. JB looks bigger. Very good rebounder. Has a much quicker shot. Actually looked pretty good. GG looks like he's understanding the sytem but looks like he's still thinking too much. Needs a better feel for the game. So athletic though. Makes up for his lack of size. Femi had a lot of fun. Good to see him around the team still. Good defender.

Team 3:

Most interesting team for me. Carter is very quick. Great vision and a pass first pg. Smooth shot but didn't get any shots to fall. Got to the basket. Shorter than I expected. Needs to put on muscle. Drew isn't that big but looks muscular. Probably a legit 6'6 with a long wingspan. Actually had a very good shot. Very athletic and good defender. Think he could be the better out of him and KC. McBroom has extremely quick hands. Needs to get bigger and stronger but he could create a ton of steals. Thought he had a very very good shot. Possibly the best on the team. Manning looks really good. He'll contribute this year. Strong rebounder. Worked very hard in the post and made a good amount of shots. Also made 2 17 footers. Looks a lot less technical in the post and is played with a good feel for his surroundings.

Just an open gym so nobody is going all out and its easier for players to get shots up and go to the basket but wanted to give some updates.

Who is KK?

Sounds promising....as expected. Good stuffon the newbies andlast year's bench riders. Still not too sure on GG but lots of time.

On a different topic but maybe of some interest ... Maryland lost it appeal on Sam Cassell, Jr. NCAA said there were questions about his final classes at his prep school. Which is the same prep school JJ and GG and I think JB went to. Doubt that it means much to us right now but Maryland pointed out that kids taking these very same classes were eligible two and three years prior. Cassell now has to enroll elsewhere or stay on as a partial qualifier. The ACC does not allow partial qualifiers to play/practice as I understand it so he'd have to redshirt. Puts a nice hole in the side of Maryland's huge recruiting class.

Makes the need toqualify Wells a little more urgent.

Question for Board: Will Crews install his own D system or use Majeurus'? I seem to recall he was influenced by Bobby Knight's D theories while an asst at IU and at Evansville. Seems crazy to change RM's system ( I love how we send two or three back after our missed shot and rarely get burned on a fast break for eg--RM staple) but maybe he can't teach it like Rick so wonder if he might morph to his own system if more comfortable.

Question for Board: Will Crews install his own D system or use Majeurus'? I seem to recall he was influenced by Bobby Knight's D theories while an asst at IU and at Evansville. Seems crazy to change RM's system ( I love how we send two or three back after our missed shot and rarely get burned on a fast break for eg--RM staple) but maybe he can't teach it like Rick so wonder if he might morph to his own system if more comfortable.

Crews mentioned in an interview that he is keeping the same defensive system and might install a few more off the ball screen plays on offense but pretty much keep the offense the same

Sounds promising....as expected. Good stuffon the newbies andlast year's bench riders. Still not too sure on GG but lots of time.

On a different topic but maybe of some interest ... Maryland lost it appeal on Sam Cassell, Jr. NCAA said there were questions about his final classes at his prep school. Which is the same prep school JJ and GG and I think JB went to. Doubt that it means much to us right now but Maryland pointed out that kids taking these very same classes were eligible two and three years prior. Cassell now has to enroll elsewhere or stay on as a partial qualifier. The ACC does not allow partial qualifiers to play/practice as I understand it so he'd have to redshirt. Puts a nice hole in the side of Maryland's huge recruiting class.

Makes the need toqualify Wells a little more urgent.

Who is Wells?

It was my understanding that once a course is accepted the NCAA does not go back and pull it from kids who they already gave clearance - at least I never saw that happen. This case is sounding more and more like the school did not follow up on the appeal process to get the course accepted or maybe they realized that they could not so they were leaving a sleeping dog lay.

Who is Wells?

It was my understanding that once a course is accepted the NCAA does not go back and pull it from kids who they already gave clearance - at least I never saw that happen. This case is sounding more and more like the school did not follow up on the appeal process to get the course accepted or maybe they realized that they could not so they were leaving a sleeping dog lay.

Dezmine Wells, who was expelled from Xavier and signed with Maryland.

Last week lunch Crews and Whitesell said kids know RM systems and they weren't changing things at this late date.

I asked Crews pointedly what he was changing about offence; he replied 7 players returning and new guys and some from last year

Not feeling like there were enough minutes for all who had talent and they were going to be competitive to get game time.

Expected it to be a lot like last year with Conklin's role taken by committee. Spoke of attributes of Loe, CR, Manning, Grandy.

I am certainly no big fan of the NCAA and its approval process. What they did to our Billikens really, really hurt us. First, we lost an entire year b/c of the lack of recruits by Brad and the very late hire by RM. Second, we lost another year by playing the Freshmen and taking our lumps unable to land a JUCO (thanks in part to the new acamedic rules on requiring the transfer to immediately be on pace to graduate at SLU even though we don't have Phys Ed and such degrees. Then, the NCAA causes us to lose yet another year despite being poised for our break-out season as a result of the delays by the NCAA causing the lack of CE (unable to enroll, acclimate and practice) and his late qualifying -- the reason we made the 3rd place post-season tourney instead of the first place tourney (NCAA Tourney). With CE on our team from the start of the season, we would have made the NCAA Tourney. After that, of course, we lose our fourth year in row despite all the momentum from our prior 23 win and final game appearace due to not only The Situation but also our inability to land an impact player/center due to NCAA tampering charges. In essence, we finally have our break-out season last year, we stock the cupboards with even greater depth and promise and now we lose RM. It sure is hard to be a Billiken fan!!

At the same time, the NCCA is in a tough spot. These basketball only "schools" should be shut down, everyone knows this and the only way to do that is to ban the players. Players and parents who go to them get what they deserve (Willie Reed and Grandy Glaze included). Also, b/c these "schools" have only 10 to 12 students, the various classes they teach can and are taught to players of all ages (14 to 17). Just b/c the 17 year old qualified, should this really mean that the NCAA must grandfather the 14, 15 and 16 year old as well?

In a real school where kids of different ages/years are not all grouped together and do not sit right next to each other in the same exact classroom like they do at these basketball only "schools", if the same teacher, the same curriculm and the same text book were used four (4) years in a row and if the NCAA qualified kids from the oldest class, shouldn't the same arguments about grandfathering be used for these kids? You qualified the 17 but now you disqualify me, a 16 year old, only a year later?? A younger kid sitting in the seat right next to an older kid who qualified should be grandfathered a year or two later but kids who go to real schools, who take classes with kids their own age/year and who take the exact same teacher, curriculum and text book should not? To me, this is certainly a tough result but I do beleive the NCAA (to the extent they should even have such powers to approve and qualify student athletes in the first place) go it right.

I am certainly no big fan of the NCAA and its approval process. What they did to our Billikens really, really hurt us. First, we lost an entire year b/c of the lack of recruits by Brad and the very late hire by RM. Second, we lost another year by playing the Freshmen and taking our lumps unable to land a JUCO (thanks in part to the new acamedic rules on requiring the transfer to immediately be on pace to graduate at SLU even though we don't have Phys Ed and such degrees. Then, the NCAA causes us to lose yet another year despite being poised for our break-out season as a result of the delays by the NCAA causing the lack of CE (unable to enroll, acclimate and practice) and his late qualifying -- the reason we made the 3rd place post-season tourney instead of the first place tourney (NCAA Tourney). With CE on our team from the start of the season, we would have made the NCAA Tourney. After that, of course, we lose our fourth year in row despite all the momentum from our prior 23 win and final game appearace due to not only The Situation but also our inability to land an impact player/center due to NCAA tampering charges. In essence, we finally have our break-out season last year, we stock the cupboards with even greater depth and promise and now we lose RM. It sure is hard to be a Billiken fan!!

At the same time, the NCCA is in a tough spot. These basketball only "schools" should be shut down, everyone knows this and the only way to do that is to ban the players. Players and parents who go to them get what they deserve (Willie Reed and Grandy Glaze included). Also, b/c these "schools" have only 10 to 12 students, the various classes they teach can and are taught to players of all ages (14 to 17). Just b/c the 17 year old qualified, should this really mean that the NCAA must grandfather the 14, 15 and 16 year old as well?

In a real school where kids of different ages/years are not all grouped together and do not sit right next to each other in the same exact classroom like they do at these basketball only "schools", if the same teacher, the same curriculm and the same text book were used four (4) years in a row and if the NCAA qualified kids from the oldest class, shouldn't the same arguments about grandfathering be used for these kids? You qualified the 17 but now you disqualify me, a 16 year old, only a year later?? A younger kid sitting in the seat right next to an older kid who qualified should be grandfathered a year or two later but kids who go to real schools, who take classes with kids their own age/year and who take the exact same teacher, curriculum and text book should not? To me, this is certainly a tough result but I do beleive the NCAA (to the extent they should even have such powers to approve and qualify student athletes in the first place) go it right.

-the way you wrote this it appears as if you are dumping a lot of the wrongs for our program on the ncaa

-the way you wrote this it appears as if you are dumping a lot of the wrongs for our program on the ncaa

You're right. I clearly mixed thoughts in the same post.

NCAA is responsible for delay involving CE which killed what should have been our breakthrough year. The NCAA is also involved with the new JUCO/transfer rules and the Kowal situation. Then again, Fr. Biondi and SLU are responsible for Brad's lack of recruits, for the late timing of RM's hire, for The Situation and for not adding additional majors to prevent SLU from having a significant disadvantage in college sports.

I'd love to hear how the whole Kowal thing went down but likely never will. What I find amazing is how some annointed programs seem to always skate by in different aspects ... all the crap Kentucky and Memphis seemingly avoid despite bogus test scores and being the perennial one-and-done schools, Duke and some senior getting $100K in credit while still in school, Xavier getting that Walker kid from Vanderbilt and Lyons just up and leaving and bring immediately eligible at Areizona for old coach Sean Miller. I am not accusing anyone of anything but it is just amazing how some guys/programs seem to never be touched by the enforcement arm of the NCAA.

Just saying ....

I'd love to hear how the whole Kowal thing went down but likely never will. What I find amazing is how some annointed programs seem to always skate by in different aspects ... all the crap Kentucky and Memphis seemingly avoid despite bogus test scores and being the perennial one-and-done schools, Duke and some senior getting $100K in credit while still in school, Xavier getting that Walker kid from Vanderbilt and Lyons just up and leaving and bring immediately eligible at Areizona for old coach Sean Miller. I am not accusing anyone of anything but it is just amazing how some guys/programs seem to never be touched by the enforcement arm of the NCAA.

Just saying ....

I'm pretty sure Lyons was able to play immediately because he had already graduated from Xavier and was using the 5th year senior escape clause. It's a crap rule as many schools are starting to abuse it, but its a rule nonetheless.

Now if Wells becomes eligible right away at Maryland a lot of eyebrows should be raised but the chances of that happening are very slim.

Also, Memphis did have their national title runner up year stricken from the record books and had to give back the money from that trip. That's fairly material if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure Lyons was able to play immediately because he had already graduated from Xavier and was using the 5th year senior escape clause. It's a crap rule as many schools are starting to abuse it, but its a rule nonetheless.

Im pretty sure this was the same situation that Kowal was in. He graduated from Northern Illinois and yet was denied entrance into SLU. It wouldnt of mattered much considering that was the year we went 12-18 but it seemed a bit unfair nonetheless

You're right. I clearly mixed thoughts in the same post.

NCAA is responsible for delay involving CE which killed what should have been our breakthrough year. The NCAA is also involved with the new JUCO/transfer rules and the Kowal situation. Then again, Fr. Biondi and SLU are responsible for Brad's lack of recruits, for the late timing of RM's hire, for The Situation and for not adding additional majors to prevent SLU from having a significant disadvantage in college sports.

-who was the juco we were trying to get? i am not remembering

-also, while i believe SLU could take some endowment money and start a cotton candy major program as compared to the rest of the curriculum offered, i am thinking it is a bad idea to do that as i don't see how you get enough students pursuing that major as i am guessing a kid off the street would not pay SLU tuition to major in said cotton candy field and i can't see enough scholarship athletes to fill the desks

Im pretty sure this was the same situation that Kowal was in. He graduated from Northern Illinois and yet was denied entrance into SLU. It wouldnt of mattered much considering that was the year we went 12-18 but it seemed a bit unfair nonetheless

it was my understanding it was a matter that slu started talking to kowal before northern released him.