slufan13

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came across this from August 26th.

Mike Cunniff@Mike_Cunniff

Short list for St. John's asst. coach search: Darrick Martin, who played for Lav at UCLA, SLU assistant Jim Whitesell, and Gene Keady #stjbb

Gene Keady has been an asst. at St. John's since Oct '10, according to his Wiki... I had to look him up to see if he was still alive...

What do we need coaches for anyways?

While I don't begrudge Whitesell wanting to from top Asst at SLU to top Asst at St. Johns there has to come a point where May must be held responsible. Majerus has health problems for the last 2 years and there still was zero contingencies in place. If Whitesell takes the job (which he should) we are in trouble.

What do we need coaches for anyways?

While I don't begrudge Whitesell wanting to from top Asst at SLU to top Asst at St. Johns there has to come a point where May must be held responsible. Majerus has health problems for the last 2 years and there still was zero contingencies in place. If Whitesell takes the job (which he should) we are in trouble.

I don't often post anymore because there are so many ridiculous posts on so many topics unrelated to Billiken basketball that the board has lost its original purpose. But when I see such a stupid post like this one it just drives me crazy. Wake up! We had not one but two former head coaches on the bench and we were able to elevate one who was well liked by the players and who has had some real success in the past to the interim top spot. I have spoken to many folks in town and out of town who were amazed that we had a coach of the quality of Jim Crews on our bench who could take the reins. The fact that our assistants are considered top notch enough to get interest from other programs is a sign of a successful program. I hope Coach W stays because he seems like a real good guy. Lets try to support the team when it was hit with a tough punch in the gut when the coach who coached his heart out in Columbus against supposedly superior teams encoutered some serious health problems. Go Bills!

I think Crews was the contingency plan....

That is why he went from someone who was only going to be here for one year to us resigning him.

I have little doubt that Crews was extended for this exact situation. Now, we are looking for a new coach or waiting to see what happens with RM.

I think this was the best possible plan that could come out of this whole awful situation...

I don't often post anymore because there are so many ridiculous posts on so many topics unrelated to Billiken basketball that the board has lost its original purpose. But when I see such a stupid post like this one it just drives me crazy. Wake up! We had not one but two former head coaches on the bench and we were able to elevate one who was well liked by the players and who has had some real success in the past to the interim top spot. I have spoken to many folks in town and out of town who were amazed that we had a coach of the quality of Jim Crews on our bench who could take the reins. The fact that our assistants are considered top notch enough to get interest from other programs is a sign of a successful program. I hope Coach W stays because he seems like a real good guy. Lets try to support the team when it was hit with a tough punch in the gut when the coach who coached his heart out in Columbus against supposedly superior teams encoutered some serious health problems. Go Bills!

Rah Rah

Its good that you don't post here. All you do is levy insults and then speak in platitudes. You rarely offer anything of value to the discussion.

Our coaching staff when we played Mich St

HC Rick Majerus

Associate HC Jim Whitesell

Part time Bench Assistant Jim Crews

Assistant Chris Harriman

DBO Tony Young

Grad Asst Tanner Bronson

Our possible coaching staff as of Sept 1st

Interim HC Jim Crews

Asst ???

Asst ???

Assistant Tanner Bronson

DBO Mike Lepore

Grad Asst Danny Brown

Move along, nothing to see here folks. Workouts have started and we have possibly 2 open positions on the coaching staff. Oh and our HC hasn't been a HC in 4 years and hasn't had a winning record in 14 years. Our other Assistant has zero coaching experience. No problem. Support the team. Buy season tickets. Join the Billiken Club. Lets Go Bills!!!

That is why he went from someone who was only going to be here for one year to us resigning him.

I have little doubt that Crews was extended for this exact situation. Now, we are looking for a new coach or waiting to see what happens with RM.

I think this was the best possible plan that could come out of this whole awful situation...

There was a reason he was only going to be here one year. He was retired and was dismissed from Army in disgrace. If he wasn't friends with Majerus he wouldn't be coaching right now.

Crews was not the contingency plan. He became the contingency plan because we had none. And apparently that pissed off Whitesell enough to start looking for work in August. Most college assistants don't do that. Look at the people up for the St. Johns post, Gene Keady looking for a little retirement bonus, Darrick Martin, an NBA scout & personnel guy, Frank Allocco a HS coach & Whitesell. Whitesell is the only person on the list with a current college job. Gee I wonder why?

So in 5 months a strength of the program, coaching experience and savvy, has become a debilitating weakness.

C'mon this is the best we can do? Have years of Billikens fandom just created such low expectations for the program that we jump for joy even in the face of this epic clusterf***. I won't. We should have been prepared, we should have done better than this. We could be squandering the best team we've put on the court in over 50 years.

i dont think it is may's fault that there is not a staff in place to "take the reigns". may was likely hired knowing he was to be hands off the on court basketball of the program. i believe he has no say in our coaching staff.

i dont think it is may's fault that there is not a staff in place to "take the reigns". may was likely hired knowing he was to be hands off the on court basketball of the program. i believe he has no say in our coaching staff.

Only one person reigns at alma mater, and we all know who that is. B)

May and the school need to move the program forward now. They need to announce that the program is moving forward without Majerus, form a searh committee, and inform Whitsell he will be a canidate. SLU can not allow itself to get in the same situation that Utah was in the last few years Rickma was there.

I think we're getting hit this season with the dreaded Billiken curse. Anyone got any idea the origins of this curse? I mean the Sox had Babe going to the Yanks, which they eventually broke when they went looking for that piano in the lake. The Cubs got the goat thing. They haven't figured out how to fix that yet, although a suggestion would be hire a goat and make him your mascot. We're cursed, I'm just not sure who or what event put the double whammy on us. But it's been there since about 1948 (our NIT championship). Also, it could be soccer related as well and spread thru all the athletic programs. We used to dominate college soccer. Hell, we were the Yankees of college soccer, and now we're just kind of run of the mill. We need someone to look into this curse thing. Let's get the monkey off our back.

Rah Rah

Its good that you don't post here. All you do is levy insults and then speak in platitudes. You rarely offer anything of value to the discussion.

Our coaching staff when we played Mich St

HC Rick Majerus

Associate HC Jim Whitesell

Part time Bench Assistant Jim Crews

Assistant Chris Harriman

DBO Tony Young

Grad Asst Tanner Bronson

Our possible coaching staff as of Sept 1st

Interim HC Jim Crews

Asst ???

Asst ???

Assistant Tanner Bronson

DBO Mike Lepore

Grad Asst Danny Brown

Move along, nothing to see here folks. Workouts have started and we have possibly 2 open positions on the coaching staff. Oh and our HC hasn't been a HC in 4 years and hasn't had a winning record in 14 years. Our other Assistant has zero coaching experience. No problem. Support the team. Buy season tickets. Join the Billiken Club. Lets Go Bills!!!

good post

I'm with WestCoastBilliken. Crews was the contingency plan. Whitesell had been the Ass. HC but got passed over because Crews possesses the better coaching resume. What happens in corporate America when an internal candidate for the vacant CEO position gets passed over in favor of another internal candidate? The guy who got passed over leaves. Why is anyone surprised Whitesell is looking for a another job? It's just part of the game.

The broader issue in my view is how to build stability and continuity right now. If this year's team wins and goes to the NCAA tourney, the credit will largely flow to Rick Majerus. Even though he sits in a hospital bed in California, this is still Rick Majerus' team. How do we capitalize on the legacy of Rick Majerus moving forward? If Alex Jensen (Rick's adopted son) were still at SLU this would be an easy answer but Crews only coached with Majerus for one season and Danny Brown played only 1 or 2 season for Majerus off the bench. We don't have a staff chocked full of Rick Majerus guys. The only way to get Jensen back would be to name him the HC. I'd be fired up for a Jensen-Crews regime at SLU but that would be something of a bold move that would have to be done immediately. Nothing happens quickly at SLU. A less bold move that could help build continuity would be to hire a well-known former Majerus player as an assistant. We need somebody the players know and Crews knows. The only guy who fits that description is Brian Conklin. Yeah, former players right out school don't get jobs as asst. coaches. Also, Brian intends to play professionally. Well, this is something of a crisis situation so I'd throw the rules out and hand Conklin a two year contract if he is wiling to forgo playing in Europe to be an asst. at SLU. That also means if a new coach were hired after the season he would inherit Conklin for at least a season. Conklin resumes his role as a media darling, provides a connection back to Coach Majerus, and provides leadership to the current players.

I like Whitesell but always considered him RM's administrative or paperwork guy.

He just seemed brighter than Crews.

Crews was a good player, and at one time any player or assistant of Bobby Knight commanded a lot of attention and a premium salary.

Knight, Majerus, Crews all seem to be racing a clock trying to stuff as much basketball in the time allowed.

Whitesell seemed to take things in stride but he, not Crews, was associate head coach and whoever keeps the job will hire new assistants meaning people could be odd men out

So is Whitesell gone or potentially gone?

Greg Gard, asst. to Bo Ryan at Wisconsin would be a good addition to the coaching staff. The badgers play the most similar style of basketball to the Bills.

He was listed in the top 40 Assistants link that someone posted earlier. Probably impossible to get unless he came on the prospect of taking over as head coach once Crews was done.

May and the school need to move the program forward now. They need to announce that the program is moving forward without Majerus, form a searh committee, and inform Whitsell he will be a canidate. SLU can not allow itself to get in the same situation that Utah was in the last few years Rickma was there.

Exactly. Regardless of why we are in this mess, we need to solve it now. Torch's post where he outlines the coaches before and after is very telling.

We struggle enough as it is to fill assistant coaching spots. I really don't want it to be mid September and have 2 spots to fill. Also I know for a fact that Whitesell was the lead guy on a lot of recruits. Recruiting is going to be hard enough already but we certainly can't afford to lose our lead guy on some of our top targets.

So who do we hire to replace Whitesell if he leaves? We could go from the most experienced staff in possibly the country to the least really quick.

And do we want Whitesell back at all if he is looking around this late in the game? Seems a little bush to me.

So is Whitesell gone or potentially gone? Greg Gard, asst. to Bo Ryan at Wisconsin would be a good addition to the coaching staff. The badgers play the most similar style of basketball to the Bills. He was listed in the top 40 Assistants link that someone posted earlier. Probably impossible to get unless he came on the prospect of taking over as head coach once Crews was done.

oh brother. a disciple of ryan. aka another a$$ cant we find someone who is a result of a good person and a good coach?

So who do we hire to replace Whitesell if he leaves? We could go from the most experienced staff in possibly the country to the least really quick. And do we want Whitesell back at all if he is looking around this late in the game? Seems a little bush to me.

i say at the minimum go hire the coach now. to patchwork this staff and make such "interim's" is suicide if indeed rickma is never to coach again.

i would bet this is the result of holding out hope rickma is coming back. cant dump the staff if rickma is our coach next year.