Next head coach? Who do you want? Who's a good option?

STLfan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but....

Tennessee (Southeastern Conference) (2005–2011) 2005–2006 Tennessee 22–8 12–4 1st (East) NCAA 2nd Round 2006–2007 Tennessee 24–11 10–6 2nd (East) NCAA Sweet Sixteen 2007–2008 Tennessee 31–5 14–2 1st (East) NCAA Sweet Sixteen 2008–2009 Tennessee 21–13 10–6 T–1st (East) NCAA 1st Round 2009–2010 Tennessee 28–9 11–5 3rd (East) NCAA Elite Eight 2010–2011 Tennessee 19–15 8–8 5th (East) NCAA 2nd Round

Didnt he have a really nice run with Wisconsin-Milwaukee also before he went to UT?

2 other coaches that should garner some interest

Ben Jacobsen at Northern Iowa and Gregg Marshall at Wich St.

Marshall would be great (long-shot) and I would be happy with Jacobsen. Like to see them pull the head coach out of Utah St, ODU, or Belmont, but those guys have been there so long, it might be a pipe dream. Of course, maybe in a rebuilt A10 with the current roster, SLU is much more attractive. The WAC has been raided, Colonial has lost VCU, and the MVC has fallen off a little bit.

Maybe I have my head in the sand, but I am still holding out hope for Majerus coming back after the health issues are resolved.

Here are some assistants - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1155271-the-15-best-assistant-coaches-in-college-basketball#/articles/1155271-the-15-best-assistant-coaches-in-college-basketball/page/16

Most of these guys look really creepy. My preference would be to have somebody with head coaching experience. Steve Robinson had back to back NCAA Tournament appearances at Tulsa. Fits my profile of success at a mid major, moves up to BCS head coach and gets fired.

Here's an article from ESPN. This was written in May.

Top 10 Thursday: Assistants 40 and under

I'd be happy with almost any of those guys but I like these coaches the most from that list.

Tim Fuller (Missouri): When opposing coaches say you’re on the rise, that means something. Fuller has amassed a solid reputation in coaching circles. After just a season with the Tigers, Frank Haith promoted Fuller to associate head coach. Fuller, who played at Wake Forest from 1997-2000, is just 34. But his stock is rising fast.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/fuller_tim00.html

Matthew Graves (Butler): Last year, Brad Stevens promoted Graves, who’s in his late 30s, to an associate head-coaching position, a credit to his role in the program’s success. You don’t reach back-to-back national title games as a mid-major program by accident. Stevens and his staff put the program on the national map. With a move to the Atlantic 10, the Bulldogs will attain even more national exposure. And Graves, who’s been vital to the program’s efforts in recent years, will end up on a multitude of lists once jobs open up again after next season.

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/graves_matthew00.html

Jeff Boals (Ohio State): The former Ohio forward joined Matta’s staff in 2009. The Buckeyes have enjoyed success in all areas during his time with the program. He’s helped Matta develop top players such as Jared Sullinger and Evan Turner. And he’s an energetic and effective recruiter. Boals, 39, won’t be an assistant for long.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/boals_jeff00.html

James Whitford (Arizona): Sean Miller’s longtime assistant was pursued by Miami (Ohio) in the offseason but decided to stay in Tucson, where he helped the Wildcats sign one of the top recruiting classes in the country. The Wildcats struggled during the 2011-12 campaign. But with Mark Lyons and some talented recruits headed to Arizona, the Wildcats could win the Pac-12 next season. It’s easy to see why Whitford, 40, stayed put.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/whitford_james00.html

I'd like to see us find a good young up and coming coach rather than some one who has been fired somewhere else.

The following were all talented young up and coming assistant coaches when they were hired:

Butler hired Brad Stevens when he was 30.

VCU hred Shaka Smart when he was 32.

Xavier hired Chris Mack when he was 39.

Richmond hired Chris Mooney when he was 32. (he did have one year of HC experience at AF)

St. Mary's hired Randy Bennett when he was 39.

Gonzaga hired Mark Few when he was 36.

Here's an article from ESPN. This was written in May.

Top 10 Thursday: Assistants 40 and under

I'd be happy with almost any of those guys but I like these coaches the most from that list.

Tim Fuller (Missouri): When opposing coaches say you’re on the rise, that means something. Fuller has amassed a solid reputation in coaching circles. After just a season with the Tigers, Frank Haith promoted Fuller to associate head coach. Fuller, who played at Wake Forest from 1997-2000, is just 34. But his stock is rising fast.

http://www.mutigers....ller_tim00.html

Matthew Graves (Butler): Last year, Brad Stevens promoted Graves, who’s in his late 30s, to an associate head-coaching position, a credit to his role in the program’s success. You don’t reach back-to-back national title games as a mid-major program by accident. Stevens and his staff put the program on the national map. With a move to the Atlantic 10, the Bulldogs will attain even more national exposure. And Graves, who’s been vital to the program’s efforts in recent years, will end up on a multitude of lists once jobs open up again after next season.

http://www.butlerspo..._matthew00.html

Jeff Boals (Ohio State): The former Ohio forward joined Matta’s staff in 2009. The Buckeyes have enjoyed success in all areas during his time with the program. He’s helped Matta develop top players such as Jared Sullinger and Evan Turner. And he’s an energetic and effective recruiter. Boals, 39, won’t be an assistant for long.

http://www.ohiostate...als_jeff00.html

James Whitford (Arizona): Sean Miller’s longtime assistant was pursued by Miami (Ohio) in the offseason but decided to stay in Tucson, where he helped the Wildcats sign one of the top recruiting classes in the country. The Wildcats struggled during the 2011-12 campaign. But with Mark Lyons and some talented recruits headed to Arizona, the Wildcats could win the Pac-12 next season. It’s easy to see why Whitford, 40, stayed put.

http://www.arizonawi...rd_james00.html

I'd like to see us find a good young up and coming coach rather than some one who has been fired somewhere else.

The following were all talented young up and coming assistant coaches when they were hired:

Butler hired Brad Stevens when he was 30.

VCU hred Shaka Smart when he was 32.

Xavier hired Chris Mack when he was 39.

Richmond hired Chris Mooney when he was 32. (he did have one year of HC experience at AF)

St. Mary's hired Randy Bennett when he was 39.

Gonzaga hired Mark Few when he was 36.

Mark Few was an assistant at Gonzaga for 11 seasons before being named head coach. Brad Stevens was an assistant at Butler for seven seasons prior to getting the job. Chris Mack was an assistant at Xavier for 6 seasons before getting the X job. In each of their cases, they were long-time assistants taking over for a successful coach who took a job elsewhere. They had been groomed for a long time to take over that very position when the time came. There was a certain level of continuity that came with them taking over.

As for Randy Bennett, he went to a St. Mary's team that went 2-27 the previous year. His was a complete and total rebuild situation. The situation at St. Mary's at that time is in no way comparable to SLU's. Mooney took over a Richmond team 2 years removed from an NCAA appearance, but had just sufferred a losing season and was on the downswing. Thus, he was also going to be given time to implement his system while being allowed to deal with losing seasons.

Finally, with Shaka, VCU had a certain plan in place when it came to hiring coaches after they promoted Capel in 2002. They followed it with their next two hires. In VCU's case, they got raided by BCS schools twice (Capel to Oklahoma; Grant to Alabama) and they decided both times to look towards the BCS assistant ranks to find a similar style coach. Once again, that is not the same as SLU's situation, as one would be hard-pressed to find anybody similar to Majerus, especially a young assistant coach.

The more I've thought about it, the more I feel comfortable with SLU keeping Crews in place as head coach for the immediate future. He is a no-nonsense guy much like Majerus who also preaches defense-first. The transition from Majerus's style to Crews's is probably the easiest for this current set of guys and promotes the best opportunity for success in the next couple of seasons. Meanwhile, go out and hire a young, hungry assistant (or perhaps two) that will hit the recruiting trail hard and learn under Crews and Whitesell. Build the young assistant up as the eventual successor, letting him know that the job will soon be his. This will help create a certain level of continuity within the program while the team continues to experience success on the court.

The more I've thought about it, the more I feel comfortable with SLU keeping Crews in place as head coach for the immediate future. He is a no-nonsense guy much like Majerus who also preaches defense-first. The transition from Majerus's style to Crews's is probably the easiest for this current set of guys and promotes the best opportunity for success in the next couple of seasons. Meanwhile, go out and hire a young, hungry assistant (or perhaps two) that will hit the recruiting trail hard and learn under Crews and Whitesell. Build the young assistant up as the eventual successor, letting him know that the job will soon be his. This will help create a certain level of continuity within the program while the team continues to experience success on the court.

Nice in theory and great from SLU's perspective (nothing to lose) but no up and coming BCS assistant will leave their current situation to be an understudy to Crews and Whitesell. RM did some really great things but this is still SLU and Fr. Biondi is still at the helm. Instead, these guys will want full power, full control and immediate payment. Also, the list is quite extensive of good assistant coaches who waited patiently for their head coach to retire/move on but never did -- or when they finally did, things changed and it didn't work out. The type of assistant coach who take such a deal would be a rather unproven assistant coach. The chances of an unproven assistant developing into a special head coach for us are rather slim. SLU is too good of a school to take such a risk.

In addition, some coaches seem to have a series of assistant coaches work for them and then leave to become good head coaches. Others do not. RM was/is a great head coach but his assistant have never gone on to do much. I am not familiar with the coaching tree of either Whitesell or Crews but would be surprised if they have demonstrated some ability to develop top head coaches under them. Such a track record only makes such a strategy even more risky.

Spoon was a proven head coach from the Valley with a string a NCAA appearance who considered SLU to be an upgrade. Romar was both an assistant coach on UCLA's National Championship team as well as the head coach of Pepperdine who considered SLU an upgrade. Brad was top assistant under a Final Four team, an interim head coach, a former head coach albeit at a much lower level and also the top assistant/associate head coach under Romar. Either we continue with getting a lower level head coach or we try to get a top BCS assistant but trying to emulate Xavier is not realistic.