Butler, VCU, and GMU to A-10?

SLUDrew

Evidently there are some tweets out there (sorry but I don't have time to look for them right now) that the A-10 will not only be adding Butler (which is by all accounts a done deal) but very possibly VCU and GMU as well.

This would clearly be setting up a scenario where the league would be split into divisions. I would not be in favor of growing the conference schedule to 18 but as long as we get home and homes with Butler, UD and X I will be a happy camper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be thrilled is we added those 3 and dropped fordham and Charlotte.

Disagree. Charlotte has a much richer basketball tradition than either VCU or George Mason. UNCC went to the NCAA tournament 5 times between 2000-2010. VCU and GM were both 1 year wonders, and can hope for, no better than , one and dones in future, rare NCAA appearances. VCU, in particular, would be lost without coach Shaka Smart, who will sooner, rather tha later, leave for greener pastures. Drexel beat both teams on the way to a 27 win season and still didn't get an NCAA invite, so how good could they be? Neither team is an upgrade over Charlotte. Sure Fordham can go, but St. B and maybe duquense are the only teams I'd sacrafice for these teams.

Besides, Charlotte is practically guaranteed to hang around for 3 more seasons, at least, since they can't join a footbal conference until then.

From the Richmond paper:

UR’s Mooney likes idea of VCU, GMU, Butler in A-10

John O'Connor

Mar 20, 2012

RICHMOND, Va. - With Temple leaving the Atlantic 10 Conference following next season, the league seeks fortification. Butler is a candidate, ESPN.com reported. VCU and George Mason, Colonial Athletic Association schools in the A-10 footprint and the same upper tier of mid-majors as Butler, also seem logical possibilities.

The A-10 will have 13 programs, including the University of Richmond, following Temple’s departure for the Big East Conference. “That’s probably not what the league will do long-term,” Spiders coach Chris Mooney said, referring to 13 members. “From where I sit, it does seem like there’s going to be expansion.”

In October, the New York Times reported that “the Atlantic 10 had expressed informal interest in adding CAA members George Mason and Virginia Commonwealth.”

VCU reached the 2011 Final Four, and GMU was a Final Four team in 2006. But both programs may find the A-10 attractive because, unlike the CAA, the league during its history has regularly put multiple teams in the NCAA tournament.

“It’s been proven that if you’re a good team in the A-10, you have an excellent chance of making the NCAA tournament,” said Mooney.

Four A-10 teams advanced to the NCAAs this year. Three went in each of the previous four years. Mooney said he didn’t know if VCU and GMU were under consideration by the A-10. But he added that he would support them, if his input were requested.

“I think those would be great additions,” said Mooney. “They are two outstanding schools that have great basketball tradition, great recent basketball tradition, especially. I think they would really enhance the conference. I think they would be a great fit. They would bring a lot to the conference and I think the conference would do a good deal for them too.”

A-10 expansion that included VCU and GMU would appeal to UR because it would reconnect the Spiders with state rivals in a league setting. The Spiders left the CAA for the A-10 in 2001.

Butler, a Horizon League member which is located in Indianapolis, advanced to the last two national-championship games. Since 1997, Butler has qualified for the NCAAs 10 times, and went to the NIT three times. The Bulldogs are in the CBI this year after dropping to 20-14 with a loss in the Horizon tournament semifinals.

“Without question, they would be a great addition to the conference,” said Mooney.

Honestly, I don't care what the rest of the conference does as I don't think the A-10 is the long term home for SLU. I want us to develop an alliance with X, UD and Butler so that when there is another major shake-up we would ahve a group of four programs that would be very attractive to any league

Sixteen teams = 2 in New England, 2 in New York, 2 in Philly, 2 in DC area, 2 in Richmond, 2 in Ohio, one in Charlotte, one in Pittsburgh, one in Indy and us. Seems like there is some good travel breakdowns there if you head out for Thursday/Saturday games.

I have long given up on this major shakeup we all seem to be waiting for. I am curious, do the non-football playing members of the Big East capitalize on a windfall (no matter how small it might be) if football-playinbg members of the Big East go to bowls? Seems like free money. No one in their right mind would give that up.

We should try to start a conference with all the catholic schools. Has anyone suggested this?

this is a really good chance to keep the Billikens' conference better than one or more bcs conferences in the near future. It would be nice for the conference to keep getting four bids in the tourney.

these facilities along with hinkle fieldhouse appear to be a lot better than some of the high school gyms we currently have to play some road games in

i personally would be against the addition of VCU and George Mason. imo, George Mason is not an upgrade. true better than some of our current lower echelon A-10 teams, but not enough to add the quanity to conference.

While VCU is without a doubt in the midst of a nice three year run, it very well seems that can all be contributed to shaka smart, i want the a-10 to shrink. i'll take back to back ncaa runner up butler who also has a west presense but i dont care about lesser east coast schools.

i personally would be against the addition of VCU and George Mason. imo, George Mason is not an upgrade. true better than some of our current lower echelon A-10 teams, but not enough to add the quanity to conference.

While VCU is without a doubt in the midst of a nice three year run, it very well seems that can all be contributed to shaka smart, i want the a-10 to shrink. i'll take back to back ncaa runner up butler who also has a west presense but i dont care about lesser east coast schools.

Taking a look at that picture of VCU's gym I couldn't help but notice the 10 NCAA banners. 7 of which predate Shaka Smart? How many do we have now?

I'm not saying VCU should be made a part of the A10 but they have had more tourney appearances than we have and more of them recently......

Taking a look at that picture of VCU's gym I couldn't help but notice the 10 NCAA banners. 7 of which predate Shaka Smart? How many do we have now?

I'm not saying VCU should be made a part of the A10 but they have had more tourney appearances than we have and more of them recently......

VCU NCAA Tournament Appearances:

1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012

SLU NCAA Tournament Appearances:

1952, 1957, 1994, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2012

And what they also have is that nice 2011 Final Four banner from last year. That and at least a Sweet 16 banner going up after this season. I can't wait to see those in the rafters of the 'Fetz.

Taking a look at that picture of VCU's gym I couldn't help but notice the 10 NCAA banners. 7 of which predate Shaka Smart? How many do we have now? I'm not saying VCU should be made a part of the A10 but they have had more tourney appearances than we have and more of them recently......

so you are saying that the VCU conference is and always has been the equal to the great midwest, conference usa and the A-10.

i say not. and VCU has just consistently been one of the better teams in that conference. but i dont think until these last three years VCU has been a better team than even the billikens let alone an XU or Templelike team. my point is i want a true swap out or upgrade of Temple. I consider Butler to be that. I dont consider a shakaless VCU that.

What the A-10 needs to figure out is who is committed to being a consistently, competitive basketball-first school. If you are a school with an eye on getting into a second rate football league then get out. Charlotte... UMass has been rumored to wanting to step up in football. Not sure about Richmond. I would be happy replacing one of those football schools with VCU. They have made a commitment to building a quality program.