Burwell: Billikens are doing their part, so where are the people?

majerus mojo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Post-Dispatch coverage the people have been craving for- Majerus kills it at the end

http://www.stltoday...._medium=twitter

I loved RM's comment at the very end!!! Bunch of spoiled little brats!

I'm at a loss on this issue. People said the way to get students (and others) to the game was to win...WELL???????!!!!!????

I've never understood St. Louisans going back to when I was in school. And here we are, almost 40 years later talking about the same thing. The Cardinals can do no wrong and 50K will go to Busch the last day of the season even with the Cards 20 games out (when playing the Cubs). Everyone else? Not the same. Once again, nothign new here. Burwell stating the obvious.

Yeah, this is sad. Finally having made it to the Fetz, Fr. B provided one of the best college arenas in the country to watch a game. I was watching last night and saw those empty lower level seats and was just scratching my head. You want to experience college up front and personal those are the seats to have. C'mon, people, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, get off the couch and go to some Billiken games. As for the students, WTF? Just can't figure it out.

If you don't want to read Burwell's article.. here is the end...and yes, Majerus kills it.

That's probably why Majerus is worried that even as his streaking Billikens head into Saturday's 3 p.m. game against Fordham on a five-game winning streak, the students will choose to indulge in Mardi Gras parties off campus instead of coming to Chaifetz to see a Rams team that is 9-14 overall and sits in 13th place in the 14-team league.

"You can come here (first) then go to Mardi Gras the rest of the night," Majerus pleaded. "So we really have to get the students (to come to the game). I mean how early can you Mardi Gras?"

A student reporter answered the question, and it wasn't exactly what Majerus was hoping to hear.

"Seven a.m.," he said.

"Wow," Majerus said, laughing. "You don't look like that kind of guy. I bet your parents paid your tuition, huh?"

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/burwell-billikens-are-doing-their-part-so-where-are-the/article_30607610-5862-11e1-b2e5-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1mY8aVRMd

I loved RM's comment at the very end!!! Bunch of spoiled little brats!

I'm at a loss on this issue. People said the way to get students (and others) to the game was to win...WELL???????!!!!!????

I don't get it ether. Everyone, including myself, always said winning cures all but it obviously hasn't. I usually don't particularly like Burwell but he hit the nail on the head on this one. Great quotes by rick

Yeah, this is sad. Finally having made it to the Fetz, Fr. B provided one of the best college arenas in the country to watch a game. I was watching last night and saw those empty lower level seats and was just scratching my head. You want to experience college up front and personal those are the seats to have. C'mon, people, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, get off the couch and go to some Billiken games. As for the students, WTF? Just can't figure it out.

Biondi needs to do more than just have the arena and a coach. The program needs to be marketed better. Even, the Cardinals pour a large amount of resources into marketing. Biondi acts like it doesn't even matter. Even when they try to do something right they screw it up by misspelling 30+ year season ticket holders names wrong on the video board when they honor them.

Case of the typical St Louis sports fan. Cardinals games are dreadfully dull. Rams games are the same way. I haven't been to a Blues game since they've been winning, but die hard hockey fans tend to be a different breed anyways.

Put on your polo shirts with the team logo on the left chest and go to the game, give a polite golf clap for some bull**** hustle play that leads to an out, tell everyone you are the best fans in (insert sport here), and then make sure to get out before the traffic gets bad.

If you don't want to read Burwell's article.. here is the end...and yes, Majerus kills it.

That's probably why Majerus is worried that even as his streaking Billikens head into Saturday's 3 p.m. game against Fordham on a five-game winning streak, the students will choose to indulge in Mardi Gras parties off campus instead of coming to Chaifetz to see a Rams team that is 9-14 overall and sits in 13th place in the 14-team league.

"You can come here (first) then go to Mardi Gras the rest of the night," Majerus pleaded. "So we really have to get the students (to come to the game). I mean how early can you Mardi Gras?"

A student reporter answered the question, and it wasn't exactly what Majerus was hoping to hear.

"Seven a.m.," he said.

"Wow," Majerus said, laughing. "You don't look like that kind of guy. I bet your parents paid your tuition, huh?"

Read more: http://www.stltoday....l#ixzz1mY8aVRMd

I guess Majerus doesn't get that if you want the see the parade you need to sart your journey there at 7 or earlier.

What he should have done is not commented or encouraged the kids to come after the parade like they have done every other year he has been here.

Biondi needs to do more than just have the arena and a coach. The program needs to be marketed better. Even, the Cardinals pour a large amount of resources into marketing. Biondi acts like it doesn't even matter. Even when they try to do something right they screw it up by misspelling 30+ year season ticket holders names wrong on the video board when they honor them.

I would like to see them do Groupon or Living Social ticket promotions for every game. Not only does it give people a chance to just swoop up a ticket or two from the comfort of their laptop or smartphone, but it widens our potential target audience - not everyone in the STL area who has a Groupon account or the iPhone/Android app knows about SLU basketball. That's why the Dayton game sold so well. I was sitting in the very top row of Chaifetz and everyone around me said the same thing - "Groupon the ###### out of tickets next year."

Two cents.

I would like to see them do Groupon or Living Social ticket promotions for every game. Not only does it give people a chance to just swoop up a ticket or two from the comfort of their laptop or smartphone, but it widens our potential target audience - not everyone in the STL area who has a Groupon account or the iPhone/Android app knows about SLU basketball. That's why the Dayton game sold so well. I was sitting in the very top row of Chaifetz and everyone around me said the same thing - "Groupon the ###### out of tickets next year."

Two cents.

I agree...expose this team, the campus and the Fetz to as many people as possible. Give away 500 tickets to youth organizations and their parents...host pre-game tailgates outside the arena...give away free food to students more often. Make our games about the experience from the moment you leave your house to the moment you get home.

They should take a page out of the Blues book from the post strike years...they got out in the community and cultivated fans. There is a lost generation of SLU fans and the school needs to re-engage with the community to get them back.

-the morning show on 590 spent 20 minutes or so talking about this just before 8am, it will be on their podcast if you care to listen, so we were on the airwaves

-but to save you the trouble, it was a re-hash of everything that has been discussed here last night, today and for the last however many years, about the program

I agree...expose this team, the campus and the Fetz to as many people as possible. Give away 500 tickets to youth organizations and their parents...host pre-game tailgates outside the arena...give away free food to students more often. Make our games about the experience from the moment you leave your house to the moment you get home.

They should take a page out of the Blues book from the post strike years...they got out in the community and cultivated fans. There is a lost generation of SLU fans and the school needs to re-engage with the community to get them back.

This.

You need to cultivate fans and sell a whole game day experience. The game day experience is what college athletics is supposed to be about.

This.

You need to cultivate fans and sell a whole game day experience. The game day experience is what college athletics is supposed to be about.

This involves spending money, which Biondi/AD seem to have a problem with after spending $80 million on an arena.

I have stories about Father Biondi that would leave me to believe he doesn't even know his basketball team is 21-5.

And its been said before--what crowd there is, is dull and uninspired. I was under the basket (opposite the band) and it was like a morgue. An elderly lady turned and frowned as I was berating one of the refs. My son and I then moved to open seats two rows from the court. Again the crowd noise remained dismal.

The only solution, as I see it, is a continuing winning tradion, more high profile opponents, and a firm "right to die" legislation to move out the near dead.

It seems hard to believe that when I was a student, in a season very similar to this one, we camped out at the Arena to get tickets.

But then they actually worked at marketing the team to students. Every game was built as a big event all over campus. Spoons put out all over the place.

And its been said before--what crowd there is, is dull and uninspired. I was under the basket (opposite the band) and it was like a morgue. An elderly lady turned and frowned as I was berating one of the refs. My son and I then moved to open seats two rows from the court. Again the crowd noise remained dismal.

The only solution, as I see it, is a continuing winning tradion, more high profile opponents, and a firm "right to die" legislation to move out the near dead.

It's about changing the culture and that will only happen with new blood in the house. The half dead boosters who talk about everything except basketball during the game aren't going to change their ways but getting people who have never been to a game before along famlies and youth groups in the house will exposeentire new demos to Billiken basketball. Get them hooked now while we have a winning team and maybe next year they'll buy tickets and bring a friend...and stand to cheer. This isn't an overnight fix and I'm not naive enough to think this is the only solution (our conference, our TV package, 12 year run of futility and lack of local buzz also play a role) but you have to start with things you can control and the school can pack the house if they choose.

Oh and PLEASE develop a team intro that doesn't suck.

I'm not knocking RM but Spoon did do a fair amount to boost the program outside of just winning on the court. He had his own radio show. RM doesn't to the best of my knowledge. At it's height under Spoon we had a number of local kids, right? Clagget and Highmark come to mind. And then Hughes, Baniak, and Tatum. They probably all had local followings. Also, back in the 17000+ days, we were playing long time big time rivals, UL, Natti, Memphis, etc. We do seem to draw well when one of the few A-10 big names come in, UD, X, Temple. But still can't figure out the student apathy. Cripes, I've got a friend in Boston, Hahhvahd man, and he says the Hahhvahd students suddenly are going pretty nutso over their hoops team. Are SLU students more nerdy than Haahvahd students?

I'm not knocking RM but Spoon did do a fair amount to boost the program outside of just winning on the court. He had his own radio show. RM doesn't to the best of my knowledge. At it's height under Spoon we had a number of local kids, right? Clagget and Highmark come to mind. And then Hughes, Baniak, and Tatum. They probably all had local followings. Also, back in the 17000+ days, we were playing long time big time rivals, UL, Natti, Memphis, etc. We do seem to draw well when one of the few A-10 big names come in, UD, X, Temple. But still can't figure out the student apathy. Cripes, I've got a friend in Boston, Hahhvahd man, and he says the Hahhvahd students suddenly are going pretty nutso over their hoops team. Are SLU students more nerdy than Haahvahd students?

Harvard has Jeremy Lin and are a school with tradition. Not a great comparison.