Cory Remekun and Rob Loe on KPLR right now

stmdragons

Longterm stability and larger financial streams is and should remain the goal for our athletic department. Without this, we will go back to taking a flier on the next "can't miss" assistant coach from the Big Ten. While it would nice to turn on the TV now and see what looks like a packed house, it really shouldn't be all that important. Winning will bring back both the casual fan to the games and new/larger donations to the games so we can afford to pay $1 million to the next coach (a bargain compared to the top programs are now paying $4 million) without the generosity of just 2 men: Chaifetz and Novelly.

Two (2) quick stories: Just spoke with a season ticket holder who told me I was "smarter" than him for remaining a season ticket holder. He gave up this tickets (after 23 years) after last season. He has 6 kids in parish grade school with some moving into private highschool so time and money is certainly a concern; however, in talking with him, the continual rough seasons and the fact that he mentioned that he frequently couldn't give his tickets away were probably the real reasons. I spoke with another long-time and loyal season ticket holder couple, who donate generously to the school, renewed season tickets but moved their seats to the out of the Blue/$450 per seat mandatory donation and into the no-mandatory donation seats in the corner and he said "after last season, there had to be some price to pay, right?"

Alot of schools are "burdened" by the fact that their best seats are not available. Instead they are long held by long-time ticket holders who are donating but not at the same level that the new ticket holders are ready and willing. A public relations fiasco and alienation of long-time and loyal donors is at stake if these schools tried to take back some of their best seats. If SLU keeps winning games, Chaifetz will sell out, including the expensive blue seats, and the athletic department will be better off for it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slu is doing the right thing by not selling the mid court seats to the walk up casual fans on a game by game basis. there is no incentive to ever get in line for tix if that is the case.

and they should not lower the mandatory gift either. if they do, they should first offer to us small time boosters that have indeed put our time in but cant afford the big ticket price of midcourt before offering to any newbies.

now if a newbie wants to pay the current price with the current mandatory gift, by all means sell the seats on a season tix basis.

What amazes me is that the expensive, I assume, season ticket sections are filled w/ empty seats. Cripes, you bought the tickets. If you don't want to go, give 'em away! You already paid for 'em. Still, I heard attendance was +7,000 for Portland, but that probably includes the ghosts in the season ticket sections.

Look, those empty seats have probably not been sold - see the previous posts about this very thing. They carry a hefty seat fee and so they won't sold. The problem is that the TV camera wants to be opposite the benches and so do the fans so naturally that side of the arena is sparse but it is the area that shows the most on the TV camera. This is a real perception problem that the AD has to find a solution for.

slu is doing the right thing by not selling the mid court seats to the walk up casual fans on a game by game basis. there is no incentive to ever get in line for tix if that is the case.

and they should not lower the mandatory gift either. if they do, they should first offer to us small time boosters that have indeed put our time in but cant afford the big ticket price of midcourt before offering to any newbies.

now if a newbie wants to pay the current price with the current mandatory gift, by all means sell the seats on a season tix basis.

BINGO. Thank you Roy.

Never understood this either. Since we've graduated from the student section, I don't think my buddies and I have ever had a problem walking down to the 5th row and plopping our asses down. Always dozens of seats open, everyone should move down really. Student section has looked GREAT compared to what it once was.

this. just walk down and sit in the empty seats. If i get thrown out of Box's section, I know where to find some nice seats now.

Look, those empty seats have probably not been sold - see the previous posts about this very thing. They carry a hefty seat fee and so they won't sold. The problem is that the TV camera wants to be opposite the benches and so do the fans so naturally that side of the arena is sparse but it is the area that shows the most on the TV camera. This is a real perception problem that the AD has to find a solution for.

I assumed they were sold since Rammer made a comment about it on Sat night's broadcast. Something like, be nice to see the pre sold seats start to fill up more. Also, I just purchased two for tickets for Temple and tried twice to get seats in the blue areas and up came not available. I don't know, maybe some casual fans had already purchased them. Honestly, since I don't live in St.L I have know idea how the seat packages work. I've always thought, from posts on here, that we had a core group of season tix holders of about 6,000 and just assumed a lot of those would be in the lower bowl center court area.

72. My parents have had season tickets and been Billiken Club members since the Gray/Douglas years. As such, they were one of the earlier groups to pick their new seats at Chaifetz. When they arrived, they got some of the last good seats (they have no complaints at all) but they did notice that it sure looked like ALOT more seats were reserved than groups ahead of them. By doing the simply math of the number of groups ahead of them multiplied by an average of 3 to 4 in a group, they noticed that ALOT more seats were covered than they expected. That night, they made a few small talk/ passing comments (no complaints or third degree questioning) to some of the workers (and if I recall correctly to Cheryl Levick) and it was conceded that yes, SLU did reserve quite a few of the better/more expensive seats for future use/donors.

My point: the entire ticket and pricing structure was designed to both distribute seats fairly and to maximize revenue.At the time, the days of 12,400 season tickets was not that much prior and there was still real concern as to why SLU built "only" a 10,600 seat building instead of the 13,000 plus originally promised (and which was/is required for early round NCAA games). With the new building, with the hiring of RM, the program was to take off immediately. Limits, of course, were placed on the number of seats someone could purchase. Recently these past few years, SLU most likley longed for someone to come in and ask for more than 8 seats. I' m abit curious to know if there are currently groups with more than 8 seats. No way did SLU (Mark Wright) think that the demand for seats would be as weak as it has been - especially now these 5 years later. There are probably 6 to 8 seats in parent's row (5 or 6th from the floor) which do not have owners and which are largely empty. Most likely, those sitting around my seats (elsewhere) must wonder why I "miss" so many games when the reality is that while I do mis some games - I am also filling some of these "reserved" or empty seats. In short, IMO the reserving of these seats was all part of the plan. Embarrasingly, and just like the lack of wins on the court, the seating plan has taken longer than expected and hence the empty expensive seats.

72. My parents have had season tickets and been Billiken Club members since the Gray/Douglas years. As such, they were one of the earlier groups to pick their new seats at Chaifetz. When they arrived, they got some of the last good seats (they have no complaints at all) but they did notice that it sure looked like ALOT more seats were reserved than groups ahead of them. By doing the simply math of the number of groups ahead of them multiplied by an average of 3 to 4 in a group, they noticed that ALOT more seats were covered than they expected. That night, they made a few small talk/ passing comments (no complaints or third degree questioning) to some of the workers (and if I recall correctly to Cheryl Levick) and it was conceded that yes, SLU did reserve quite a few of the better/more expensive seats for future use/donors.

My point: the entire ticket and pricing structure was designed to both distribute seats fairly and to maximize revenue.At the time, the days of 12,400 season tickets was not that much prior and there was still real concern as to why SLU built "only" a 10,600 seat building instead of the 13,000 plus originally promised (and which was/is required for early round NCAA games). With the new building, with the hiring of RM, the program was to take off immediately. Limits, of course, were placed on the number of seats someone could purchase. Recently these past few years, SLU most likley longed for someone to come in and ask for more than 8 seats. I' m abit curious to know if there are currently groups with more than 8 seats. No way did SLU (Mark Wright) think that the demand for seats would be as weak as it has been - especially now these 5 years later. There are probably 6 to 8 seats in parent's row (5 or 6th from the floor) which do not have owners and which are largely empty. Most likely, those sitting around my seats (elsewhere) must wonder why I "miss" so many games when the reality is that while I do mis some games - I am also filling some of these "reserved" or empty seats. In short, IMO the reserving of these seats was all part of the plan. Embarrasingly, and just like the lack of wins on the court, the seating plan has taken longer than expected and hence the empty expensive seats.

This makes no sense. Why would you block off certain seats for future use when you are asking the future donors to donate the same amount of money as you are currently asking present donors to donate for those seats? There is no financial gain to holding those seats back. The potential money pool is the same regardless of the fact if the donor is new or established. You are asking the same amount of money for the seat.

Levick set the plan up but it was May who was AD at the time that Chavetiz Arena seats were picked. Mark Wright was a tool and was actually not very good at his job so who knows if the plan they set up was the best they could have done or not at the time. May simply inherited the plan and should in no way be held responsible for what is there now. He can be held responsible for what is done in the future.

So, what you guys are saying is they thought they could "auction" off these seats once SLU hoops became relelvant, and those seats remain empty today because they are being held in reserve for donors? If that's the case, and I'll admit this is making no sense to my aged alcohol sotted brain cells, is that why those seats are not available on a game by game basis to a walkup or an out of town fan? As I said earlier, I asked for the blue area and got a not available message. Therefore, figured they were filled by seaon ticket holders. Isn't it kind of foolish to just let 'em sit empty, no pun intended, when you could maybe fill them on a game by game basis until someone actually pony's up the cash for season tickets? I must be missing something here or misread Clock's post re the blue seats. Also, I'd figure Wright did not anticipate the economic crisis that would hit in '07 which continues today.

So, what you guys are saying is they thought they could "auction" off these seats once SLU hoops became relelvant, and those seats remain empty today because they are being held in reserve for donors? If that's the case, and I'll admit this is making no sense to my aged alcohol sotted brain cells, is that why those seats are not available on a game by game basis to a walkup or an out of town fan? As I said earlier, I asked for the blue area and got a not available message. Therefore, figured they were filled by seaon ticket holders. Isn't it kind of foolish to just let 'em sit empty, no pun intended, when you could maybe fill them on a game by game basis until someone actually pony's up the cash for season tickets? I must be missing something here or misread Clock's post re the blue seats. Also, I'd figure Wright did not anticipate the economic crisis that would hit in '07 which continues today.

why should some guy that lives in the area but doesnt want to endure say the next 6 games but wants to go to 10 of the conference games be able to buy center court primo seats for a fraction of what i pay per game for my seats in the corner?

no way i want those seats going out to the general public. now if they want to let the students sit in the unbought seats until they are indeed bought by a true season tix holder, i am fine with that. but keep the casual fan in the rafters where they belong unless they pony up like the rest of us.

no way i want those seats going out to the general public. now if they want to let the students sit in the unbought seats until they are indeed bought by a true season tix holder, i am fine with that. but keep the casual fan in the rafters where they belong unless they pony up like the rest of us.

The seats are a product to be sold. Not selling them is idiotic. Prorate the seat fee and the ticket price and sell them on a pergame basis. Add in a few extra bucks to keep the Roys happy. Empty seats are a waste of money if someone is willing to pay for them.

The seats are a product to be sold. Not selling them is idiotic. Prorate the seat fee and the ticket price and sell them on a pergame basis. Add in a few extra bucks to keep the Roys happy. Empty seats are a waste of money if someone is willing to pay for them.

i'm fine with that. $250 per seat per game should about cover the big boy seats.

It depends on what the seat fee is.

To break even with season ticket holders here's what you'd have to ask for an 18 game schedule

Courtside Blue - $220

Loyal Blue - $164

Gold - $48.

Red - $34

General A - $25

General B - $17

General C - $10

I don't have mine anymore, but when I did, I'd have had no problem if someone paid less than me for like seats on a per game basis.

Here is the Skippricing for available seats. This is the correct plan and all other plans or opinions are wrong.

Courtside Blue - $99.

Loyal Blue - $69

Gold - $39

Red - $25

Gen A - $20

Gen B - $15

Gen C - $10

Done

If you cannot push the green seats for under $25 then what makes you think the general public will unload for the blue seats. The blue seats will be bought by existing donors looking to upgrade or corporate pickups when we get hot. The general public are not going to pay that kind of cash to see the Bills.

-i guess you would give select students tickets to sit in the blue seats? did the blue seat buyers purchase those seats to avoid students? i have no idea, maybe the students could extend some enthusiasm to the blue seats, not sure i see a way to have the students in those seats and have all involved be happy but not sure that should be the goal

-if the U can sell those tickets on a game by game basis, i say sell 'em, we know the adept can use the money

To break even with season ticket holders here's what you'd have to ask for an 18 game schedule

Courtside Blue - $220

Loyal Blue - $164

Gold - $48.

Red - $34

General A - $25

General B - $17

General C - $10

I don't have mine anymore, but when I did, I'd have had no problem if someone paid less than me for like seats on a per game basis.

Here is the Skippricing for available seats. This is the correct plan and all other plans or opinions are wrong.

Courtside Blue - $99.

Loyal Blue - $69

Gold - $39

Red - $25

Gen A - $20

Gen B - $15

Gen C - $10

Done

Courtside Blue - $220

Loyal Blue - $164

Gold - $48.

Red - $34

General A - $25

General B - $17

General C - $10

Courtside Blue - $99.

Loyal Blue - $69

Gold - $39

Red - $25

Gen A - $20

Gen B - $15

Gen C - $10

Done

Courtside Blue - $220

Loyal Blue - $164

Gold - $48.

Red - $34

General A - $25

General B - $17

General C - $10

Courtside Blue - $99.

Loyal Blue - $69

Gold - $39

Red - $25

Gen A - $20

Gen B - $15

Gen C - $10

Done

Who would pay $99 or 69 for one ticket so this does not help the situation so what is the point. Also, the other pricings you offer from Red on down is basically what they are now anyway so once again what is the point?

-i guess you would give select students tickets to sit in the blue seats? did the blue seat buyers purchase those seats to avoid students? i have no idea, maybe the students could extend some enthusiasm to the blue seats, not sure i see a way to have the students in those seats and have all involved be happy but not sure that should be the goal

-if the U can sell those tickets on a game by game basis, i say sell 'em, we know the adept can use the money

I see a lot of schools w/ students sitting courtside as well as behind the basket. Michigan and UNC come to mind. They have rather large student secions courtside. And they whoop it up a bunch.

Who would pay $99 or 69 for one ticket so this does not help the situation so what is the point. Also, the other pricings you offer from Red on down is basically what they are now anyway so once again what is the point?

Look, you obviously liked my post or you wouldn't have copied it 3 times.

The point was some people think they shouldn't sell the single tickets unless they break even with what season ticket holders pay. The lower value seats aren't much different as they aren't very expensive for season ticket holders either. I disagree that courtside seats wouldn't sell for $99 when a ticket becomes a hot commodity. Same with the Loyal blue at $69. Those are pretty damn good seats. Check comparable ticket prices for Rams, Blues, or Cards games.

I see a lot of schools w/ students sitting courtside as well as behind the basket. Michigan and UNC come to mind. They have rather large student secions courtside. And they whoop it up a bunch.

-do these lot of schools have the students mingled with other season ticket holders or do they appear to be more pure student sections?

-and my recollection of unc from last year was the students were on one end and in an opposite corner by the band

I don't understand why people don't fill in the unused blue courtside seats after about halfway through the first half. No one is going to say a thing to you, and you'll have a great seat. Just walk down there like you belong. If an usher does say something, go back to your assigned seat.