Cory Remekun and Rob Loe on KPLR right now

stmdragons

I don't understand why people don't fill in the unused blue courtside seats after about halfway through the first half. No one is going to say a thing to you, and you'll have a great seat. Just walk down there like you belong. If an usher does say something, go back to your assigned seat.

I endorse this idea. We could call it 'Occupy Courtside'. Seriously though, back when I was lurking on this forum, wasn't there a bunch of worry or concern about all the season ticket seats being re-shuffled after (I think) 3 years depending on who ponied up more cash? I'm guessing that idea is gathering dust in a file cabinet somewhere.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I endorse this idea. We could call it 'Occupy Courtside'. Seriously though, back when I was lurking on this forum, wasn't there a bunch of worry or concern about all the season ticket seats being re-shuffled after (I think) 3 years depending on who ponied up more cash? I'm guessing that idea is gathering dust in a file cabinet somewhere.

-that was the plan but the poor team and poor economy had the U rethink this decision and was a wise move imo

Look, you obviously liked my post or you wouldn't have copied it 3 times.

The point was some people think they shouldn't sell the single tickets unless they break even with what season ticket holders pay. The lower value seats aren't much different as they aren't very expensive for season ticket holders either. I disagree that courtside seats wouldn't sell for $99 when a ticket becomes a hot commodity. Same with the Loyal blue at $69. Those are pretty damn good seats. Check comparable ticket prices for Rams, Blues, or Cards games.

First of all, I copied twice but only because a gremlin caused me to lose my original response so don't flatter yourself. Second, what some think is not what is important here - the AD has decided that they can not risk losing the money they get from the seat fees from those who buy them now. I doubt that many courtside seats would sell for that price unless you are a season tix holder type supporter. Even the Rams, Blues and Cards do not sell premium seats at a discount - the specials you get are for the less desirable seats. My guess is that the AD will work to fill those seats for key games by offering them to big donors who are not season tix holders, companies they are trying to get to become sponsors or who are sponsors of the AD, and FOFB or FORC. I applaud your thinking out of the box but not all out of the box ideas merit implementation.

First of all, I copied twice but only because a gremlin caused me to lose my original response so don't flatter yourself. Second, what some think is not what is important here - the AD has decided that they can not risk losing the money they get from the seat fees from those who buy them now. I doubt that many courtside seats would sell for that price unless you are a season tix holder type supporter. Even the Rams, Blues and Cards do not sell premium seats at a discount - the specials you get are for the less desirable seats. My guess is that the AD will work to fill those seats for key games by offering them to big donors who are not season tix holders, companies they are trying to get to become sponsors or who are sponsors of the AD, and FOFB or FORC. I applaud your thinking out of the box but not all out of the box ideas merit implementation.

I was kidding about liking my post. Here, I'll copy yours twice to return the favor

So are you saying they shouldn't even try to market the unsold Loyal Blue seats? Or should they try and sell them for $175 per pop?

Is that the value of the seat? If that's the actual value of the seat and season ticket holders are using part or all of their billiken club donation as a tax deduction that could be a problem couldn't it? The reality of it is part of the cost of those courtside seats is membership in the Billiken Club and a tax deductable donation to the school. I highly doubt the people paying a 3k Billiken Club fee believe that it is all for the cost of the seat. Anyone who is paying that is paying it because they want to make a donation to SLU.

I think if/when the Bills get hot and a ticket becomes hard to get there will be plenty of people willing to pay 99 to sit courtside or 69 to sit in Loyal Blue

This makes no sense. Why would you block off certain seats for future use when you are asking the future donors to donate the same amount of money as you are currently asking present donors to donate for those seats? There is no financial gain to holding those seats back. The potential money pool is the same regardless of the fact if the donor is new or established. You are asking the same amount of money for the seat.

Yes and no. I fully agree that SLU would not intentionally keep a block of tickets empty (non-revenue producing) indefinitely and thereby forego current revenue. At the same time, it does make alot of sense to hold a block of good seats in reserve for all kinds of situations ranging from mistakes by SLU themselves in the implementation of this ticket plan to mistakes, to inadvertance by long-time and loyal fans/donors to the need to have tickets to give to invited guests, VIPS, dignitaries, distinguished alums, big donors, etc. It is obvious that SLU overestimated the demand for men's basketball tickets. In support, look at the total number of season tickets sold to date. Also, I would suggest that the required donation amounts per seat ($450/seat) took most of the people that SLU had thought might pay for loyalty blue and floor side seats. Also, and admittedly this is where I am just speculating and making up figures, quite possibly SLU thought that if they allowed the first 200 groups (600 seats if you assume 3 to a group) their choice of seats to keep them happy, that if they reserved the next 600 seats for future use, and that they then allowed the rest of the groups to select (knowing that most won't realize or care too much about the fact that their seats are marginaly worse than they otherwise would be). Then, the plan could be to not only sell these same 600 worth of reserved seats (same revenue as you point out) but to quietly sell them to donors by saying "Sorry, the best availabe seats we have are in Section 201; however, if you were to make a donation of $xxxxx then we might be able to find 3rd row seats from Fr. Biondi who has a small amount of seats of which he is personally in charge of.

Two (2) simple facts: there have not been regular season ticket owners sitting to either the left or the right of parents since the opening of Chaifetz; and there were ALOT more covered seats than one would reasonable expect from Mark Wright's seat selection process.

I was kidding about liking my post. Here, I'll copy yours twice to return the favor

So are you saying they shouldn't even try to market the unsold Loyal Blue seats? Or should they try and sell them for $175 per pop?

Is that the value of the seat? If that's the actual value of the seat and season ticket holders are using part or all of their billiken club donation as a tax deduction that could be a problem couldn't it? The reality of it is part of the cost of those courtside seats is membership in the Billiken Club and a tax deductable donation to the school. I highly doubt the people paying a 3k Billiken Club fee believe that it is all for the cost of the seat. Anyone who is paying that is paying it because they want to make a donation to SLU.

I think if/when the Bills get hot and a ticket becomes hard to get there will be plenty of people willing to pay 99 to sit courtside or 69 to sit in Loyal Blue

All I can tell you is what I have been told by the powers at SLU - they can not and will not sell those tix without them being a season tix package with the seat fee/club membership included. They are simply afraid that they will lose money from those who have season tix if they do it. You can agree or disagree but that is how they see it. As I said earlier, apparently some just stepped up and bought a few of those seats in the last week. If a company has those seats then the AD needs to call them and encourage them to remind their customers that they own the tix - it could be people just don't know they can even get them.

All I can tell you is what I have been told by the powers at SLU - they can not and will not sell those tix without them being a season tix package with the seat fee/club membership included. They are simply afraid that they will lose money from those who have season tix if they do it. You can agree or disagree but that is how they see it. As I said earlier, apparently some just stepped up and bought a few of those seats in the last week. If a company has those seats then the AD needs to call them and encourage them to remind their customers that they own the tix - it could be people just don't know they can even get them.

I'm not questioning what they're doing or what you're saying. It just doesn't make sense to me. But .... wtf do I know. It's their business, so I'd assume they have a clue

Two (2) simple facts: there have not been regular season ticket owners sitting to either the left or the right of parents since the opening of Chaifetz; and there were ALOT more covered seats than one would reasonable expect from Mark Wright's seat selection process.

-could it have been part of the covered seats at the time was to create the mindset of "look irene other people are paying this we can too"? no idea, probably just a bad thought