Returning players - What I have heard

For those who like to drink the billiken kool-aid, i was told that KM is faster, stronger, and has added almost 6 inches to his vertical since he last played an official game. I have also heard that CR has significantly improved his vertical and added strength. I know last year's freshmen were working on the same improvements. Even though there isn't a flashy new recruit coming in this year, the existing talent may prove to be among the best ever at SLU.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who like to drink the billiken kool-aid, i was told that KM is faster, stronger, and has added almost 6 inches to his vertical since he last played an official game. I have also heard that CR has significantly improved his vertical and added strength. I know last year's freshmen were working on the same improvements. Even though there isn't a flashy new recruit coming in this year, the existing talent may prove to be among the best ever at SLU.

I've heard the same about KM. I think ForDaLove can give us all the information on that. He knows about the huge strides that he has taken. Big reason I'm excited and I think this is one of the main reasons in a separate thread that we have a prediction of being ranked before conference play. I love the optimism. I'm still a little hesitant since we aren't a household name, but I think we have the talent to do some great things. Go Bills.

I recall a YouTube vid of Kwamain in a pickup dunking contest with Willie over at Simon. If Kwamain has added 6 inches of vert to the very good hops he possessed in the past then I am jacked for the season. We also have reports of DE putting on 10#'s of muscle. Is Cory also bigger?

Again ... buyer beware. What would you expect someone to say

I remember Kevin Williams, an old-timer and point guard, once tell me about David King, a seven-foot spring signee way back when, that "he ran the floor better than any big man" he had seen. Yeah. Look up David King's stats in the archives and tell me how that played out.

Closer to the present, I remember roy telling me the team with Chris Sloan (forget the year) was the most talented he had ever seen in Billiken history. I don't recall the Sloan years producing anything memorable (except his slam at Georgia Tech one year).

I sip the kool-aid do not gulp it, hoping that the preseason posts are near truth. Adding six inches to zero is only six inches (not saying this is directly related to KM) so buyer beware. In regards to CR, I was extremely hard on that kid last year, yet I take this news as something good is coming. Will I be disappointed?

Only WATCHING THE KIDS PLAY will tell. Sounds good, but pardon me if I withhold my unbridled giddiness for now.

I doubt if KM is must faster. It's hard to improve speed and he was already fast. If he improved his vertical 6" that's great, but it's not going to have a major impact on his game. KM was already strong, quick and fast with good hops. What I'd like to hear is he improved his shot. That's one area you can greatly improve over the summer and would really help his game. He already was a good shooter, but if he got better that would give him more room to drive and create. That's the best part of his game.

If CR has improved his vertical and strength that will help his defense, but he still needs a lot of work on offense to make him a steady contributer.

Kwamain is actually quite a bit stronger. He has added a lot to his vertical, which can be a major thing for someone that is driving the lane as much as he does. I've said it before, but there's no one that can really guard him right now, and its been that way for awhile. I look for him to have a huge year.

I recall a YouTube vid of Kwamain in a pickup dunking contest with Willie over at Simon. If Kwamain has added 6 inches of vert to the very good hops he possessed in the past then I am jacked for the season. We also have reports of DE putting on 10#'s of muscle. Is Cory also bigger?

Actually, at FanFest it was stated that DE had put on 20 lbs of muscle. Is this what you are referring to or are you stating that he has put on an additional 10 lbs since April? If so, then I am super stoked!

I remember Kevin Williams, an old-timer and point guard, once tell me about David King, a seven-foot spring signee way back when, that "he ran the floor better than any big man" he had seen. Yeah. Look up David King's stats in the archives and tell me how that played out.

Closer to the present, I remember roy telling me the team with Chris Sloan (forget the year) was the most talented he had ever seen in Billiken history. I don't recall the Sloan years producing anything memorable (except his slam at Georgia Tech one year).

I sip the kool-aid do not gulp it, hoping that the preseason posts are near truth. Adding six inches to zero is only six inches (not saying this is directly related to KM) so buyer beware. In regards to CR, I was extremely hard on that kid last year, yet I take this news as something good is coming. Will I be disappointed?

Only WATCHING THE KIDS PLAY will tell. Sounds good, but pardon me if I withhold my unbridled giddiness for now.

Hey Mr. Buzzkill,

Please leave this thread to the ice cream and lollipops contingent; it is Fourth of July weekend after all. As for Kevin Williams, he was probably buzzing when he told you those tidbits, or maybe just goofing on you. I lived on 5C with David King and remember him as pencil thin, doe-eyed, and more than a little bit timid in life and on the basketball court. Now if you could have combined him with Jamie Thomas you might have really had a player.

Actually, at FanFest it was stated that DE had put on 20 lbs of muscle. Is this what you are referring to or are you stating that he has put on an additional 10 lbs since April? If so, then I am super stoked!

I thought some one posted 10# weight gain for DE @ time of fanfest. If you say 20, then cool.

Is David King the player from Havana, Illinois? This would have been in about 1983.

Hey Mr. Buzzkill,

Please leave this thread to the ice cream and lollipops contingent; it is Fourth of July weekend after all. As for Kevin Williams, he was probably buzzing when he told you those tidbits, or maybe just goofing on you. I lived on 5C with David King and remember him as pencil thin, doe-eyed, and more than a little bit timid in life and on the basketball court. Now if you could have combined him with Jamie Thomas you might have really had a player.

2C used to kick 5C's butt in fleetball on Saturday mornings back then... ;)

Buzzkill? Didn't Jim Jones push kool-aid once upon a time? Not saying Nark is the equivalent to Mr. Jones but the giddiness of expectation is amazing. Over our Billiken basketball. BILLIKEN basketball! Call me what you want ... I prefer to take it slow. I also prefer to go with results over expectations. A point gurd adding six inches to his vertical means we dominate? I'll go with the guy adding consistent shooting over added veetical any day. Twenty even thirty pounds of muscle? On a guy who we all seem to want at the three spot? Maybe muscle on Willie, or Remekun or even Conk. It'll be good on Evans ... or will it? The next season vis-a-vis last season makes anything good and/or better but lets let these guys walk before we have them sprinting into the Dance.

We have to get by Xavier, Temple, Dayton, Ricmond, Duquesne and even Rhode Island in our own conference. Patience grasshopper ---- enthusiastic patience but not giddiness that blinds reality.

This can be a very good team with Mitchell driving, McCall/Ellis/Loe and Barnett knocking down shots, opening up the lane for Conklin/Glaze/Evans. Cassity will add leadership as a coach on the floor as will Mitchell. Jett driving should have more options. It does look very bright providing all the pieces come together. But again ... BILLIKEN basketball.

On a different note ... they had BETTER be better.

Taj, I was told this from someone very close the team. You can temper it however you choose, but I think it is pretty big deal when our best player--who regularly took over and dominated large stretches of games--has upgraded his physical abilities in a meaningful way. This isn't football or baseball; one great player, particularly the player who has the ball in his hands more than any other, can change the fortunes of an entire team.

David ... I do not mean to shoot he messenger, however the news that our point guard is bigger, faster, stronger, beter vertical, etc. does not tickle me blue, pink or any other color. These are positive attributes and likely buzzworthy (playing on the buzz word again) but in the long run, isn't it better to improve our handle, your crossover, your FT% and your shooting abilties more when you have the rock in your hands? And even if so, the only way to see the improvement is on the court and in the stat sheet, which won't be available until mid-DecemberJanaury when a body of statistics become available.

I ave think his can be a pretty good team but again the shooters have to improve and the interior game has to be at least available. Glaze makes me breathe somewhat easier but he is still an unknown and a Spring signee. We all know we don't do well with Spring signees.

David King --- recll he was from Illinois but thought Peoia area. Don't know where Havanna is.

David ... I do not mean to shoot he messenger, however the news that our point guard is bigger, faster, stronger, beter vertical, etc. does not tickle me blue, pink or any other color. These are positive attributes and likely buzzworthy (playing on the buzz word again) but in the long run, isn't it better to improve our handle, your crossover, your FT% and your shooting abilties more when you have the rock in your hands? And even if so, the only way to see the improvement is on the court and in the stat sheet, which won't be available until mid-DecemberJanaury when a body of statistics become available.

I ave think his can be a pretty good team but again the shooters have to improve and the interior game has to be at least available. Glaze makes me breathe somewhat easier but he is still an unknown and a Spring signee. We all know we don't do well with Spring signees.

David King --- recll he was from Illinois but thought Peoia area. Don't know where Havanna is.

Judging that we are a 'decent' defensive team, and the fact that apparently no one has been able to guard KM the past two years (which I've heard from ForDaLove and from Porter before he moved on), I think you will see other improvements in his game besides his vertical. His shot seemed to improve quite a bit from his freshman to sophomore year (I don't have the numbers but that seemed to be the case), so I would expect it to continue to improve. I understand your concerns, but I have a lot of confidence in what the former assistant told me. He was very very adamant that KM was going to be turning heads. I can't wait to see it.

2C used to kick 5C's butt in fleetball on Saturday mornings back then... ;)

Funny, but my memories are different. Just think, though, it would really be fun to get a raging fleetball tournament together like the old days. How about a Billikens.com fleetball game to go along with some tailgate before the first game? Somebody with more organizational skills than me should get on that. Or we could just play some sack in front of the quad like I used to spend most of my time a college.

Im still waiting for the 3-4 players to transfer that you predicted... Anyways, it wouldnt shock me if Kwamain won the A-10 player of the year this year or next. A kid with his talent and ability to go along with a major chip on his shoulder is a dangerous thing.

KWAMAIN IN THE MEMBRAAAAANE.

just got back from caber tossing, hatchet throwing, whiskey drinking and bb gun shooting in the woods. headed to wash park now to drink budweiser, play bags and volleyball and ogle chicks in bikinis. this positive bills news just makes things that much better. have a good weekend, gents.

America, ###### yeah.

If Kwamain is even better at getting to the basket, it will open up our shooters like JB, CE, RL, KC, MM on the perimeter and we definitely have some shooters this year. Also it can actually open up the perimeter for KM. He'll be able to take games over really whenever he wants and with all the talent we have on the roster, KM won't have to do all the scoring. KM is going to have an outstanding season. KM could have a better year than Tu, but I believe Tu will win A-10 POY either way just because he'll always get all the publicity in the A-10.

Taj, serious question: Is there any type of summer report regarding the players that would get you excited? What if David's initial post had said that he heard Kwamain was shooting lights out from three, never missed a FT and now had a Tim Hardaway crossover. Something tells me you'd find something wrong with that report.

At the end of the day you are right that nothing can be proven until play starts in November but tangible improvements in strength and vertical are definitely great things that should get people excited.

KWAMAIN IN THE MEMBRAAAAANE.

just got back from caber tossing, hatchet throwing, whiskey drinking and bb gun shooting in the woods. headed to wash park now to drink budweiser, play bags and volleyball and ogle chicks in bikinis. this positive bills news just makes things that much better. have a good weekend, gents.

America, ###### yeah.

Jesus, last year was so freaking bad that I now feel nostalgic for that magical CBI season of 2009-10.

Funny, but my memories are different. Just think, though, it would really be fun to get a raging fleetball tournament together like the old days. How about a Billikens.com fleetball game to go along with some tailgate before the first game? Somebody with more organizational skills than me should get on that. Or we could just play some sack in front of the quad like I used to spend most of my time a college.

This is a brilliant idea! Anyone else interested? If so, I can make a couple of calls to see if we can get a field to play on - won't be easy. Anyone else remember Fleetball? Pretty much the greatest sport ever...do they still play it at SLU? It was (obviously) an intramural sport.