Returning players - What I have heard

Easy to say it has to stop, after the fact, but RM and other D1 coaches are also partially to blame when they continue recruiting, and remind us that they are still recruiting even when it appears that all scholarships are full. If I recall correctly, RM announced the addition of KC and RC BEFORE the 4 scholarships kids were released. Earlier this Spring, WR was in school and going to classes/home basketball games talking about his return and CS was a model citizen on the team and in the classroom and yet RM was actively recruiting with no apparent openings. Sure, RM had to keep recruiting in case WR did not come back, in case of an unexpected transfer, in case of injury.... Still, this behavior of RM, together with his past actions here at SLU and at Utah, sure signal talk that someone might be transferring. In the end, there was a transfer as CS did transfer. Also, no doubt that WR's departure may have impacted what CR did or did not do.

As to other coaches, believe Calipari had 16 players on the Kentucky team prior to making cuts like they do in the NFL.

You are correct about some coaches but in the case of WR, it did not take a genius to see that the odds of him pulling his fat out of the fire was very slim at best. Heck he even twitted that he did not think he was going to make it in school. Whether a coach keeps talking to prospective recruits if he has or does not have a slot open is hard to call foul on since we do not know what the players and he have been talking about, The kid could easily be saying to the coach that he is not sure if he is happy or whatever but has not made up his mind. What is the coach to do - sit there with his thumb up his a$$ or try to cover his bet. Look at the BT matter - coach wanted him back but the kid bailed very late in the spring.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uggggghhhhhhh.

To see more of Taj's silliness when it comes to discussing potential transfers, feel free to check out the link below to a thread from April, shortly after Christian transferred:

April Thread

In his post on that thread, Taj declared that there were still some other 'shoe-dropping dates' when we could see some transfers occur. One of those dates he declared as being the since-cancelled Australian trip, thus implying that CE could be transferring. He also reiterated that CR could transfer because RM called him out on radio. I just find it funny that CE has now made a trip home to Australia to visit his family and is currently back in St. Louis. So now, with 3 of his 4 dates having passed with nary a transfer, it is time to start backtracking and making excuses why the transfers didn't come (i.e. APR, WR dropping out, etc.)

I agree with Nark. The unfounded speculation on transfers really does need to stop. The fact is, you litter a message board with enough talk of transfers and players' names, that ends up showing up on web searches and causing further speculation and rumors elsewhere, thus creating a snowball effect. Somebody made an excellent point with TG at Illinois and how it created discussion on this board.

Other than the 4 UB recruits, most of our transfers have been due to RM recruiting over players. CS is a prime example. He knew his minutes were going to go down significantly this season so rather than ride the pine he opts for a DIV II school. Can't blame him if he wants to play rather than sit. Same with JJ and JSmif they saw what was coming in and wanted out. Granted Thompson just wanted away from RM. Cotto was a hot head who thought he knew better than the coaches and in all likelihood would have left his next stop as well. I have no problem with a coach recruiting over kids. It's done all the time by just about everyone. The reason schools like Duke and UNC don't have many transfers is because they're big time winners and kids don't mind sitting on the bench if they're going to be part of a national championship.

Other than the 4 UB recruits, most of our transfers have been due to RM recruiting over players. CS is a prime example. He knew his minutes were going to go down significantly this season so rather than ride the pine he opts for a DIV II school. Can't blame him if he wants to play rather than sit. Same with JJ and JSmif they saw what was coming in and wanted out. Granted Thompson just wanted away from RM. Cotto was a hot head who thought he knew better than the coaches and in all likelihood would have left his next stop as well. I have no problem with a coach recruiting over kids. It's done all the time by just about everyone. The reason schools like Duke and UNC don't have many transfers is because they're big time winners and kids don't mind sitting on the bench if they're going to be part of a national championship.

JJ and JS also had The Situation and grades (at least JJ did) to worry about.

Or they go pro before they graduate. But there are a good number of transfers out of those programs too because kids want to be closer to home or get more (or some as the case usually is) playing time. The Wear twins out of UNC transfered to UCLA last year after the season to play closer to home. Transfers DO happen in other programs too...

As it turns out, Cotto was not doing well in school, BH apparently had not done well either, JJ did not even make it to acceptance level to the school he transferred to. As far as recruiting over a kid goes - I am conflicted over the practice in general but like anything else, there is two sides to the story.

As it turns out, Cotto was not doing well in school, BH apparently had not done well either, JJ did not even make it to acceptance level to the school he transferred to. As far as recruiting over a kid goes - I am conflicted over the practice in general but like anything else, there is two sides to the story.

what exactly constitutes recruiting over? Is there some unwritten rule that says once you have a player with an espn score of 85 you can't recruit a guy who plays the same position with a score of 90? Is there a cutoff? Can we recruit over a guy with a 40?

what exactly constitutes recruiting over? Is there some unwritten rule that says once you have a player with an espn score of 85 you can't recruit a guy who plays the same position with a score of 90? Is there a cutoff? Can we recruit over a guy with a 40?

unless they are bad students or bad citizens, we shouldnt be recruiting over anyone. a coach recruited the student athlete and that coach should take the responsibility that it is his/her job to make the player all they can be.

JJ and JS also had The Situation and grades (at least JJ did) to worry about.

That is incorrect. The Situation occurred after both players had announced their intentions to transfer. They both announced in April and the Situation happened at the beginning of May.

That is incorrect. The Situation occurred after both players had announced their intentions to transfer. They both announced in April and the Situation happened at the beginning of May.

Yep...and the staff tried to get JS to stay (before the situation that is)

unless they are bad students or bad citizens, we shouldnt be recruiting over anyone. a coach recruited the student athlete and that coach should take the responsibility that it is his/her job to make the player all they can be.

Very glad you are not the coach, we would never get better!!!B)

I don't agree. Get the best players you can get that fit in with academics, character, and desired style of play. If a player better than McCall wants to come to SLU, bring him on in and let them battle it out.

I also think RM should be knitting them all sweaters as well as baking cookies for the team. And, after every game, take them all to get hot dogs and Cokes, regardless of the outcome.

We have Mitchell, McCall, Jett, Cassity, and Barnett. So if Brad Beal wanted to come here we should tell him, "Sorry we already have enough guards. No room for you."

I'm sorry, what was I saying .....

Last I recall I was walking the dog, tripped over my incredibly long ######, and hit my head on the curb, but through it all, once the fog cleared, the part I seem to remember is this ......

2011-12 ..... A10 Champions ...... a #3 or #4 seed ..... and two guarantee games in the midwest regional in St. Louis ....

Can I be one of the cool kool-aid kids now????

Jeez, Broy, it has taken you over 19,500 posts to hit rock bottom. With regrets to BasketballCountry and other noted brainiacs who have posted here, you have just won the prize for stupidest post in the history of Billikens.com On your team we would have one point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and one center because we certainly wouldn't want to hurt any of their feelings by recruiting players who might start in front of them. Your concept of major college basketball is beyond absurd.

Actually legend I am stunned at your math skills. I am talking about a whole roster not a starting five, you really aren't that dumb are you?

I am talking about filling annually the seniors that leave the team.

My issue is a coach that brings in as many players as he can, picks the best runs off the rest then repeats annually. That isn't right.

One last question legend, can't you get mike to let you sit somewhere other than your head inside the bass drum? That might help.

We have Mitchell, McCall, Jett, Cassity, and Barnett. So if Brad Beal wanted to come here we should tell him, "Sorry we already have enough guards. No room for you."

-waldo it appears roy has gone into "avoid the question mode" so don't expect an answer (but this won't stop me from asking a question)

Actually cowboy if a coach thought they had that true shot at beal they would have planned a year or two in advance to have that spot available. If it didn't happen you find a jettlike player (plan B) instead.

Majerus has no problem doing this. But then he doesn't stop. The xtra recruits he brings aren't beallike players.

Actually legend I am stunned at your math skills. I am talking about a whole roster not a starting five, you really aren't that dumb are you?

My issue is a coach that brings in as many players as he can, picks the best runs off the rest then repeats annually. That isn't right.

One last question legend, can't you get mike to let you sit somewhere other than your head inside the bass drum? That might help.

-roy, this post and the other on 'recruiting over' are an interesting take on building a roster

-how do you KNOW you aren't recruiting over someone?

-why do you not try to find the best players for every spot on the roster?

-so the frosh or soph who have taken more to the coaching is clearly better than the sr, who plays?

-so in the spring the pf and sg have used their eligibility, there is a local recruit top of his national class at pg, the kid is from southern illinois, there is already a pg on the roster with 2 years of eligibility remaining, local kid wants to come to SLU, are you saying you would not sign this kid?

-thanks

Actually cowboy if a coach thought they had that true shot at beal they would have planned a year or two in advance to have that spot available. If it didn't happen you find a jettlike player (plan B) instead.

Majerus has no problem doing this. But then he doesn't stop. The xtra recruits he brings aren't beallike players.

-thanks roy, i had a phone call so it took a bit longer to post my questions than i hoped

-just trying to figure your stance on this

-to this post, hypothetical player who verbals after his soph season to super top program changes his mind and now wants to come to SLU, do you take him? situations change, coaches leave, get fired, die or whatever

-is the problem that the extra recruits aren't top 20 players?

Is it right when a player decides to transfer? Is the 1 year agreement he makes not secretly coded 4 years also?

but if they were Beal like players it'd be ok?

I'm fine recruiting the best players and playing them over your other players. I'm not fine with recruiting the best players and then kicking other players off the team to fill those roster spots. If a guy upgrades our squad, and we have a spot then I say go for it. If neither of those two are the case, I am leery.