Cody Ellis

This thread is dedicated to simple speculation as to what player will step on the floor next year. There is no doubt that his season was disappointing, and there have been several reasons posited to explain this season, such as illnesses, etc. There really may be no reason to explain his season, there is a reason why we have all heard the term "sophomore slump," kids sometimes just get lazy as sophomores. He walked into SLU and put up double digits without any work, so who can blame him for expecting it to continue.

Also, who thinks he will bulk up? He was around 240, and he did not look muscular at all, he could easily walk in at 250 or more next year. However, it seems like Majerus is interested in trying CE as a small forward. Does anyone think that experiment is done? Under Majerus' strength and conditioning approach, could CE really be expected to put on 10-20 lbs of muscle?

This thread is dedicated to simple speculation as to what player will step on the floor next year. There is no doubt that his season was disappointing, and there have been several reasons posited to explain this season, such as illnesses, etc. There really may be no reason to explain his season, there is a reason why we have all heard the term "sophomore slump," kids sometimes just get lazy as sophomores. He walked into SLU and put up double digits without any work, so who can blame him for expecting it to continue.

Also, who thinks he will bulk up? He was around 240, and he did not look muscular at all, he could easily walk in at 250 or more next year. However, it seems like Majerus is interested in trying CE as a small forward. Does anyone think that experiment is done? Under Majerus' strength and conditioning approach, could CE really be expected to put on 10-20 lbs of muscle?

I will go on record and say I am not sold on CE being anything more than a role player. I know that may be an unpopular opinion on here, but I think he has a lot to prove. Is this fair for CE, probably not. I am not being mean spirited at all and I like the kid as I do all our Billiken players, but as this program grows I don't think he is suited to be anything more than a shooter off the bench.

RM says he's "fleshy" so let's hope he leans out and adds some muscle. I have seen flashes from Cody and I can't forget that he really hasn't played much to date. As a freshman, he missed time and as a sophomore he was dealing with illness and injuries. So, to his defense is still pretty raw in college BB. But, for whatever reason, I am just not all that sold on CE and I would love to eat crow.

While he certainly was disadvantaged without KM breaking down defenses and WR drawing double teams, I think his sophomore slump mostly boiled down to lack of shooting reps in the offseason (due to his myriad of ailments) - and the subsequent lack of confidence after the shaky start.

CE is a finesse 4 whose value derives from his ability to shoot from range. No amount of weightlifting is going to change that. He needs to continue to play hard on D (as he did last year), but if the shot isn't falling, his role on this team is dramatically reduced.

I will go on record and say I am not sold on CE being anything more than a role player. I know that may be an unpopular opinion on here, but I think he has a lot to prove. Is this fair for CE, probably not. I am not being mean spirited at all and I like the kid as I do all our Billiken players, but as this program grows I don't think he is suited to be anything more than a shooter off the bench.

RM says he's "fleshy" so let's hope he leans out and adds some muscle. I have seen flashes from Cody and I can't forget that he really hasn't played much to date. As a freshman, he missed time and as a sophomore he was dealing with illness and injuries. So, to his defense is still pretty raw in college BB. But, for whatever reason, I am just not all that sold on CE and I would love to eat crow.

I tend to have the same opinion as you. Although my biggest thing is that I don't know where he's going to find much playing time. The 3 and 4 positions are pretty well clogged up right now, and I just don't see him getting more playing time than others fighting for the same spots.

I tend to have the same opinion as you. Although my biggest thing is that I don't know where he's going to find much playing time. The 3 and 4 positions are pretty well clogged up right now, and I just don't see him getting more playing time than others fighting for the same spots.

If Cody becomes himself again I think they will find minutes for him. We could play RL at the 5 some and DE at the 3 thus opening up minutes @ 4. It's anybody's guess what we'll get out of Glaze this coming season until he arrives on campus. The only area Cody looked to have improved last season in the brief stretches we saw him on the court was rebounding. I'm not holding my breath that he finds his shot again but it would sure be a beautiful thing if he did.

If Cody becomes himself again I think they will find minutes for him. We could play RL at the 5 some and DE at the 3 thus opening up minutes @ 4. It's anybody's guess what we'll get out of Glaze this coming season until he arrives on campus. The only area Cody looked to have improved last season in the brief stretches we saw him on the court was rebounding. I'm not holding my breath that he finds his shot again but it would sure be a beautiful thing if he did.

CE will get minutes for sure though I don't know if we'll see him in many starting lineups for what that's worth. As for the more important end-of-game lineups, it will probably come down to his shooting and defensive effort on any given night.

CE will get minutes for sure though I don't know if we'll see him in many starting lineups for what that's worth. As for the more important end-of-game lineups, it will probably come down to his shooting and defensive effort on any given night.

I agree with this statement. If CE is lighting it up on any given night, then he will be in there at the end of the game. If he is chucking bricks, then he will sit. Easy enough.

Which lineup do you see us playing the most? KM/KC/DE/BC/RL? Or 3 guards with DE/BC and RL/CR? We have so many combinations of lineups for next season.

Which lineup do you see us playing the most? KM/KC/DE/BC/RL? Or 3 guards with DE/BC and RL/CR? We have so many combinations of lineups for next season.

It's hard to say. There are a ton of possibilities that sound good.

JJ - 1

KM - 1,2

MM - 1,2

KC - 2,3

JB - 2,3

DE - 3,4

CE - 3,4

GG - 4

BC - 4,5 (probably doubtful)

RL - 4,5

CR - 4,5

JM - 5

I think our opening day starting 5 will be KM, KC, JB, BC, RL...I would like to see DE start, but I think a lot of that will depend on if he's ready to be a 3.

Don't be surprised to see KM at the 2 some this year. RM has said in the past that is one of the reasons they brought in JJ.

A lot of the playing time will depend on who's willing to play defense and do other small things. We shouldn't have a lack of scoring, so the guys who can pull down boards, get assists, play lockdown D, etc will get a lot of time.

Didn't RM say we will see a lot of MM and KM together? I don't recall exactly what was said.

RM should have a blast with all the combinations. Something tells me though that as much as things are up in the air, I think some guy's will really surface and get the bulk of the minutes. I hope that's the case as that means somebody is really stepping up.

IMO, I don't know how much better KC and BC will be from last year to this year. I see a little improvement as they are learning from a great teacher. On the other hand, players like RL and DE could still show significant improvement and if they do then I think special things will happen for this team.

We have been told that KM is better and dominates in pickup games. I cannot wait to see him play again. I think MM will be fun to watch while playing along with KM. Having a spark like JJ off the bench is exciting is well.

I think CR is as much an unknown for how he will be as is JM and GG. CR is young, so let's hope he continues to improve.

In typing this, I almost forgot about JB. I think this is really going to be fun and I simply can't wait for things to get going.

If RM is just playing a 7-8 man rotation, then I think we will be very very good, because that means some guys really stepped up.

I think MM will be fun to watch while playing along with KM.

Agreed. And good points.

It's my opinion that KM and MM will eventually take up a bulk of the time at the 1 & 2 spots. A lot of that will depend on what KC shows this year, though.

I would like to see DE start, but I think a lot of that will depend on if he's ready to be a 3.

Can you elaborate? My recollection was that DE played the bulk of the minutes at the 3 in the second half of last season, and played very, very well.

My guess--and it is a complete guess--would be the starting lineup would be:

1 KM

2 MM

3 DE

4 BC

5 RL

The backups at 1-3 would be JJ, KC, and JB with CR, CE, and the new bruiser getting some minutes off the bench up front.

Can you elaborate? My recollection was that DE played the bulk of the minutes at the 3 in the second half of last season, and played very, very well.

I agree with you, and I probably should have worded that better. A lot of his game is of course that of an undersized 4. If he can continue to hit the mid-range J and show quickness with the ball, as well as on D, he should be our 3. He's going to be fighting for minutes with Barnett, and I expect them both to get good PT.

I think the best lineup will be:

KM, MM, JB, DE, and (BC/RL/CE/CR)

(This group will score a lot, and will give up size to opponents, but it is not like we have dominant big men to insert in this lineup).

(also, I think JJ could push MM for minutes in the best lineup towards the end of the year, due to his versatility as a defender, if his 3pt shot gets better).

Starters:

KM, MM/JB, DE, BC, and CR

(This is how we ended the year, and it really helped set the tone for the game to have BC and CR start).

In typing this, I almost forgot about JB. I think this is really going to be fun and I simply can't wait for things to get going.

There are so many wild cards on this team due to the depth of talent. That's why I think it is pure speculation on lineups other than to say that KM and RL will get as many minutes as they can handle. If JB brings it on both ends of the floor scoring and defending with aplomb then you have to find him minutes. You would think that 1-2 minutes should be pretty much divided up between KM, MM, and JJ. JB will be fighting for minutes @ 3 but might grab some @ 2 when matchups dictate it (i.e., facing a team with a long 2). We have many options @ 4 now so that is why I suggested that DE might find minutes @ 3 with RL, Cody, and Glaze available at 4. If Cody can reclaim his shot it makes the team incredibly deep. DE @ 3 allows us to comfortably play RL and CE at 4/5 together knowing they have help on the glass. Without DE on the floor you worry whether the two bigs from down under can adequately man the glass. Many possibilities. Very interested to see how coach plays it.

-there are a lot of possibilities and watching who grabs the available minutes will be interesting

-i am rooting for all the Bills, but for some reason CR intrigues me as having the possibility to make big strides, to my knowledge he has hung around even with rick being hard on him so i hope he is being challenged and meets it

-Cody was not healthy last summer, last i was told and this was at fanfest he was a few weeks ahead of rehab schedule so hopefully he is using this summer to bust it so he can be a big part of the mix

-there are a lot of possibilities and watching who grabs the available minutes will be interesting

-i am rooting for all the Bills, but for some reason CR intrigues me as having the possibility to make big strides, to my knowledge he has hung around even with rick being hard on him so i hope he is being challenged and meets it

-Cody was not healthy last summer, last i was told and this was at fanfest he was a few weeks ahead of rehab schedule so hopefully he is using this summer to bust it so he can be a big part of the mix

For whatever the reason I am becoming to think that CR will be like the JJ that BS recruited - looks good but never seems to translate on the floor - I sure hope I am wrong. As far as CE is concerned I think your comments are more on target then not.

I am not worried about Cody finding his shot. I think he will shoot the ball just fine. His challenge to getting playing time will be his ability to play defense at the level Rickma will require of him.

Even then his minutes will be cut some what by the emergence of a healthy Conklin last year. The level of play that Conklin showed last year would have cut into the minutes Cody would have received last year even if he wouldn't have had his multitude of problems.

I like to throw this out, what about CE taking a RS for this season?

First, we are loaded this year at the 3&4 spots. Next year BC (who is a coaches favorite and will most likely get major minutes) will be gone.

This year would give him a chance to fully rehab and bulk up. Help regain his shooting confidence back. maybe work on the issue of what he really is,a 3 or a 4.

Also for Cody, he arrived 2nd semester of his freshman year, had major minutes that year the minute he got off the plane from Australia, he probably behind somewhat academically. This year would allow him to catch up on that front.

First, we are loaded this year at the 3&4 spots. Next year BC (who is a coaches favorite and will most likely get major minutes) will be gone.

This year would give him a chance to fully rehab and bulk up. Help regain his shooting confidence back. maybe work on the issue of what he really is,a 3 or a 4.

Also for Cody, he arrived 2nd semester of his freshman year, had major minutes that year the minute he got off the plane from Australia, he probably behind somewhat academically. This year would allow him to catch up on that front.

I take the all hands on deck approach to this coming season. We need to make the Tournament. With the exception of possibly Manning, I don't think anybody else is a redshirt candidate. Also, if we held Ellis back he would drop back into the class with Loe, Evans, McCall, etc. That would make it 6 players in that class. I like the idea of everybody really fighting for playing time this season. We've never had this kind of competition for minutes.

CE has shown what he can do-if the system works he is Gordie Howe waiting on the wing for the shot. I think last year he added to his repertoire because the shoulder, arm, etc-I look forward to him being more

than the second best shooter on the team.

CE has shown what he can do-if the system works he is Gordie Howe waiting on the wing for the shot. I think last year he added to his repertoire because the shoulder, arm, etc-I look forward to him being more

than the second best shooter on the team.

CE no doubt showed us lot of promise his FR year. In fact, there were games where I thought he was playing with a lot more BB savvy than everyone except KM. I don't think a lot of you are taking into consideration the effect mono has on an individual. You are tired 100% of the time and all you want to do is sleep. It literally saps all your energy. That plus the firecracker thing combined to set back CE's development in the offseason. I'm sure he was benched early in he year due to his lack of energy and conditioning. Also, maybe he figured he'd coast into games because he found it so easy his FR year. Still, from a skill set and talent pov I see CE as being the third or fourth best player on the team. Hopefully, he's putting in the work to improve his conditioning, skill set, and bulk this offseason. If he puts his mind to it, CE should be a real competitor to start at the 3 or 4. With him in there we offer difficult matchups for opponents. CE started to come around, albeit his shot still left something to be desired, in the latter 1/3 of the season. A good sign since it showed despite the setbacks he wanted to be more than a role player. I hope this is the attitude he brings to the court this fall. If so, he's going to be a real difference maker for us. Think of the kid from Butler if you will. I can't imagine that his father is not preaching this to him over and over again this summer, as this is now a pride and self confidence issue much more so than a talent or skill level issue.

CE no doubt showed us lot of promise his FR year. In fact, there were games where I thought he was playing with a lot more BB savvy than everyone except KM. I don't think a lot of you are taking into consideration the effect mono has on an individual. You are tired 100% of the time and all you want to do is sleep. It literally saps all your energy. That plus the firecracker thing combined to set back CE's development in the offseason. I'm sure he was benched early in he year due to his lack of energy and conditioning. Also, maybe he figured he'd coast into games because he found it so easy his FR year. Still, from a skill set and talent pov I see CE as being the third or fourth best player on the team. Hopefully, he's putting in the work to improve his conditioning, skill set, and bulk this offseason. If he puts his mind to it, CE should be a real competitor to start at the 3 or 4. With him in there we offer difficult matchups for opponents. CE started to come around, albeit his shot still left something to be desired, in the latter 1/3 of the season. A good sign since it showed despite the setbacks he wanted to be more than a role player. I hope this is the attitude he brings to the court this fall. If so, he's going to be a real difference maker for us. Think of the kid from Butler if you will. I can't imagine that his father is not preaching this to him over and over again this summer, as this is now a pride and self confidence issue much more so than a talent or skill level issue.

I've seen on the FB that he's running at least once a day if not several times, and lifting on the reg. Sounds like dude is putting in work. I think if not next year, the following year's team could be very special.

I can't imagine that his father is not preaching this to him over and over again this summer, as this is now a pride and self confidence issue much more so than a talent or skill level issue.

Yeah, I hope his father's in his business about working hard and getting better. An improved Cody would really help.