Glaze or Bruenig

IMO, and I admit that I have not seen either of them, I'd rather have a powerful inside force rather than another talented perimeter big man. WR's spot is the one that most needs replacement and WR was a powerful, inside guy -- even the FT line was outside his range. Even if Bruenig puts up better stats than Glaze, seems like we already have good permiter bigs in CE and RL. Quite possibly Glaze can compliment their permiter games better than Bruenig.

BC and CR will certainly get a chance to be our starting center again and JM will certainly be given an opportunity as well but having depth on the inside (in case these guys and RL cannot get it done) seems to be more of a need than having more depth on the outside (CE and RL). If I were CE or RL, I'd rather have a guy like Glaze added to the team rather than Bruenig.

Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, and I admit that I have not seen either of them, I'd rather have a powerful inside force rather than another talented perimeter big man. WR's spot is the one that most needs replacement and WR was a powerful, inside guy -- even the FT line was outside his range. Even if Bruenig puts up better stats than Glaze, seems like we already have good permiter bigs in CE and RL. Quite possibly Glaze can compliment their permiter games better than Bruenig.

BC and CR will certainly get a chance to be our starting center again and JM will certainly be given an opportunity as well but having depth on the inside (in case these guys and RL cannot get it done) seems to be more of a need than having more depth on the outside (CE and RL). If I were CE or RL, I'd rather have a guy like Glaze added to the team rather than Bruenig.

Thoughts?

I'd have to say I'm in total agreement. We need more BANGERS. Mean muggin' ######. Glaze should bring it from day one.

Thoughts?

Well, you should have just stopped typing right there, because we all know that you are only allowed to comment after doing one thing, and one thing only:

GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY

Well, you should have just stopped typing right there, because we all know that you are only allowed to comment after doing one thing, and one thing only:

GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY

MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR OWN KID WHEN YOU GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY, PREVERT.

Posted Image

I love the Grand Glaze signing

Bruenig was billed as an RL/CE type, but maybe with a little more inside presence. That's what I was hoping RL and CE would work on over the summer, ie their inside presence. So, we would have added a 3rd perimiter big and still be hoping for some help on the inside. Glaze is strictly an inside guy ala Conk with hopefully more athleticism. Another big body down low will definitely help. Also, you have to like the writeups about his toughness and desire to win. It would seem that's why he chose us over some of the other bigs that were looking at him. He knows he can help immediately. If I was CR I'd be worried about losing minutes to this kid unless he gets on the stick and shows us a lot more than he did last year. Got to admit the videos of him seem to indicate he needs more touch from underneath on the putbacks. Until he gets it have him toss those O rebounds back out to KM, JB, RL, CE and get us some more 3's. To those who say he appears to be another Newbourne or Eberhardt, I don't think so. They kind of operated outside or on the fringes of the inside. Glaze appears to love it down there so maybe a bigger Dobbs is on the way.

Bruenig was billed as an RL/CE type, but maybe with a little more inside presence. That's what I was hoping RL and CE would work on over the summer, ie their inside presence. So, we would have added a 3rd perimiter big and still be hoping for some help on the inside. Glaze is strictly an inside guy ala Conk with hopefully more athleticism. Another big body down low will definitely help. Also, you have to like the writeups about his toughness and desire to win. It would seem that's why he chose us over some of the other bigs that were looking at him. He knows he can help immediately. If I was CR I'd be worried about losing minutes to this kid unless he gets on the stick and shows us a lot more than he did last year. Got to admit the videos of him seem to indicate he needs more touch from underneath on the putbacks. Until he gets it have him toss those O rebounds back out to KM, JB, RL, CE and get us some more 3's. To those who say he appears to be another Newbourne or Eberhardt, I don't think so. They kind of operated outside or on the fringes of the inside. Glaze appears to love it down there so maybe a bigger Dobbs is on the way.

It will be interesting to see all the potential lineups.

It will be interesting to see all the potential lineups.

The one I'd like to see is KM, MM, DE, CE, and RL. Now that assumes CE is back to his FR form and last year was just a really bad case of soph jinx (mono, shoulder, fireworks). This gives us good height, outside shooters,penetrators, some speed, albeit not much, and some good D. I'm also figuring RM had CE and RL working on their inside games this past off season

I saw our inside power game as weak even w/Reed. But Reed brought the extra bnefit of length. Bruenig was another finesse big in my mind, a typical foreign big ala Ellis and Loe. But I was hopeful for a larger body for possible internal helper.

Glaze IS a big body and not a finesse big by any means at first sight. The weakness is on the interior,, not the perimeter. Conk should be better but is still limited and Remekun remains an unknown.

At first blush, yet sight unseen, I lean towards Glaze right now. Only time will tell.

I have no idea who the best player will be for the next four years, but we sure the heck need more inside help than another perimeter big man. So here's hoping, having not seen either kid play, that Glaze is the superior player. Hope he comes in from working hard on the weights at 240 and ready to bang for rebounds.

I saw our inside power game as weak even w/Reed. But Reed brought the extra bnefit of length. Bruenig was another finesse big in my mind, a typical foreign big ala Ellis and Loe. But I was hopeful for a larger body for possible internal helper.

Glaze IS a big body and not a finesse big by any means at first sight. The weakness is on the interior,, not the perimeter. Conk should be better but is still limited and Remekun remains an unknown.

At first blush, yet sight unseen, I lean towards Glaze right now. Only time will tell.

I agree about the weakness on the interior even with WR. Not changing my mind about WR b/c he is gone, but WR had no outside game and while his inside his game was strong in many respects, he was just not effective enough in that his stamina was weak and he couldn't hit free throws. To be a true inside player, you need to log minutes, wear down the other side, draw fouls, get the line and still score points. Here's hoping that Glaze can make his free throws.

Also, RM has addresed this interior weakness by signing JM as well. Only time will tell how good JM will be but Glaze and JM seem like a good start to truly improving our interior.

We now return these 2 interior bigs, our entire roster (except PE and CS) from last year with an extra year of growth and development under their belts, our team leader/point guard/scorer in KM, a true outside threat in JB, a hopefully healthy shooting big in CE and still one of the top bench coaches around... I'm seeing 25 wins and post season play.

I agree about the weakness on the interior even with WR. Not changing my mind about WR b/c he is gone, but WR had no outside game and while his inside his game was strong in many respects, he was just not effective enough in that his stamina was weak and he couldn't hit free throws. To be a true inside player, you need to log minutes, wear down the other side, draw fouls, get the line and still score points. Here's hoping that Glaze can make his free throws.

Also, RM has addresed this interior weakness by signing JM as well. Only time will tell how good JM will be but Glaze and JM seem like a good start to truly improving our interior.

We now return these 2 interior bigs, our entire roster (except PE and CS) from last year with an extra year of growth and development under their belts, our team leader/point guard/scorer in KM, a true outside threat in JB, a hopefully healthy shooting big in CE and still one of the top bench coaches around... I'm seeing 25 wins and post season play.

25 w's would be great. But let's not get too excited about Glaze as he's a freshman. It will take time. Still, he's a better choice for us than Bruenig at this point.

25 wins would be great but it may be a bit optimistic - I sure hope you are right. KM will need part of the season to get back into killer playing shape - I don't mean physical but more game mentally. This is the make or break year for CR - if he does not improve dramatically he will simply be a practice body his senior year. You wonder just how much if any his not being red shirted impacted his development?

25 wins would be great but it may be a bit optimistic - I sure hope you are right. KM will need part of the season to get back into killer playing shape - I don't mean physical but more game mentally. This is the make or break year for CR - if he does not improve dramatically he will simply be a practice body his senior year. You wonder just how much if any his not being red shirted impacted his development?

Redshirting's a luxury we couldn't afford. Most teams will do it if they are loaded at a particular position to give a gem in the rough type an extra year that is not spent on the bench. CR was tossed right into the fire and should have developed faster because of the actual game experience. He was coming on the latter part of his FR season but definitely regressed last year. Why? Who knows. Like CE, he has to come thru for us this year in order to make the dance.

Redshirting's a luxury we couldn't afford. Most teams will do it if they are loaded at a particular position to give a gem in the rough type an extra year that is not spent on the bench. CR was tossed right into the fire and should have developed faster because of the actual game experience. He was coming on the latter part of his FR season but definitely regressed last year. Why? Who knows. Like CE, he has to come thru for us this year in order to make the dance.

Personally, I think CS probably could have used the redshirt even more. CR has certainly been given the chance to play his first year and last year but there really was no real pressure on him. CS, on the other hand, was thrown into the starting mix, was told to sink or swim, lost his confidence in large part b/c the others failed to step up as expected, lost confidence and was banned to the end of the bench.

As to 25 wins, I think it has less to do with Glaze/JM stepping in as Frosh and producing right away as it does with the fact that we will finally have an experienced team of JRs and SRs, we will be led by a proven point guard/clutch scorer in KM (w/ a proven backup in MM), we will finally have an outside shooter (JB with KM, MM, CE and RL contributing), our free throw shooting will be improved with KM and JB on the floor and we will not only have mutliple options in games - depth at every position - but our practices will be much more competitive and therefore our better players will be more battle-tested or game-ready.

It shouldn't be a who would you rather have question. They both would have brought different skill sets to the team. You need both types of players to run Rickma's offense.

Yes, but we only have 13 roster spots and already have similary players such as RL (3 more years) and CE (2 more years). In addition, we have BC, CR, DE, JM and now Glaze. By my count, that's 7 bigs (more than half the roster) spots who largely play only 2 of the 5 starting positions. IMO, having 8 bigs of the 13 roster spots would be too many.

I'm thinking the best reason for signing Glaze is so that fans can stop wanting DE to become him.

When you look at DE, he isn't great on the perimeter with his drible, outside shooting and passing and on the interior he is abit undersized going up against guys 3 to 5 inches taller and 20 to 50 lbs heavier. Instead, he simply finds ways to score and be effective.

I never said anything about whether it was a luxury or not - my point simply was since he did not red shirt as was first planned would he be better now?