Martin Bruenig

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't sure if this was posted anywhere but he is no longer going to attend Maryland. We were in his top 3 when he committed. Sounds like he would be a nice pickup

>50% chance he's a Billiken next year. Would definitely be a good late get. He's ranked as the #137 player in his class by Rivals. And the #26 ranked power forward.

>50% chance he's a Billiken next year. Would definitely be a good late get. He's ranked as the #137 player in his class by Rivals. And the #26 ranked power forward.

This goes w/o saying... get after him, RM. This would hopefully ease the sting of WR's departure a little.

This goes w/o saying... get after him, RM. This would hopefully ease the sting of WR's departure a little.

RM is far too lazy to recruit this guy

Mark Turgeon was introduced as UMd's coach yesterday in a grand, DC-esque news conference. Overall, it was rather blase. The news guys are trying their best to play it up, create sparks where there seems to be none (Baltimore columnist Kevin Cowherd again referred to Maryland as "one of the top 10 college coaching jobs in the country"), with little if any student oomph, and with only former players and radio guys being the most excited and having good things to day. Yop Ten? Cowherd claims it is because it "pays $2.5 million," is in "one of thbe top conferences in the country," and is "in a Top TV market just minutes from the nation's Capitol." I guess Karl Hobbs wasn't getting $2.5 million. Top Ten? Let's see .. Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan State, Syracuse, Kansas, Texas .... well, that's nine without really trying. If you leave it at thatm, I guess the tenth spot is in the eye of the beholder and Cowherd's eye is as good as any other.

Jeff Barker of the Sun did the "news" piece. In it, he said one of the things Turgeon said at the conference as his current priorities was "keeping Maryland's incoming, three-member recruiting class intact .... coaches were still talking with the families of lead recruits Nick Faust (City) and Sterling Gibbs over their status." I immediately noticed no Bruenig. Maybe by this time he knew the kid was opting out and just let it go. Maybe he didn't want to cloud the good feeling of the dya with what some might htink is bad news. In any case, Bruenig's absence or lack o fmention is interesting.

Who knows. Maybe we can still get him. If us an dmaryland were two of his top three, what was the third option? Who we up against? Don't get me wrong --- Gary has missed on many more recruits than he's hit on in recent years so I am not saying Bruenig is "the answer" to our current dearth of usable big men. But it wouldn't hurt, would it?

Mark Turgeon was introduced as UMd's coach yesterday in a grand, DC-esque news conference. Overall, it was rather blase. The news guys are trying their best to play it up, create sparks where there seems to be none (Baltimore columnist Kevin Cowherd again referred to Maryland as "one of the top 10 college coaching jobs in the country"), with little if any student oomph, and with only former players and radio guys being the most excited and having good things to day. Yop Ten? Cowherd claims it is because it "pays $2.5 million," is in "one of thbe top conferences in the country," and is "in a Top TV market just minutes from the nation's Capitol." I guess Karl Hobbs wasn't getting $2.5 million. Top Ten? Let's see .. Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan State, Syracuse, Kansas, Texas .... well, that's nine without really trying. If you leave it at thatm, I guess the tenth spot is in the eye of the beholder and Cowherd's eye is as good as any other.

Jeff Barker of the Sun did the "news" piece. In it, he said one of the things Turgeon said at the conference as his current priorities was "keeping Maryland's incoming, three-member recruiting class intact .... coaches were still talking with the families of lead recruits Nick Faust (City) and Sterling Gibbs over their status." I immediately noticed no Bruenig. Maybe by this time he knew the kid was opting out and just let it go. Maybe he didn't want to cloud the good feeling of the dya with what some might htink is bad news. In any case, Bruenig's absence or lack o fmention is interesting.

Who knows. Maybe we can still get him. If us an dmaryland were two of his top three, what was the third option? Who we up against? Don't get me wrong --- Gary has missed on many more recruits than he's hit on in recent years so I am not saying Bruenig is "the answer" to our current dearth of usable big men. But it wouldn't hurt, would it?

I wouldn't call Texas or Ohio State top-ten jobs...Rick Barnes has only made one Final Four in 12 seasons in Austin and for all the recruiting success he's had, you'd of thought he'd taken Burnt Orange to the Promised Land more often. Texas and OSU are football schools and hoops will always play second fiddle to the gridiron. Fire and brimstone is about to descend upon Columbus and will probably expose Thad Matta as a fraud cut in the same cloth as The Vest, or at least I hope it does. Death (penalty) to the Buckeyes!

Maybe from the financial side of things, yes, but those schools you mentioned - Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan State, Syracuse, Kansas - I think of basketball prowess before I think about their football accomplishments. When I think of OSU and Texas, I immediately think of NCAA sanctions or players trading in swag for tattoos or watching Colt McCoy flake out in the biggest game of his life.

I'd put Georgetown in there as a top-10 job and I'd also put Indiana in there as well. Throw in Villanova for good measure. Take out Outlaw State U and Texas.

I wouldn't call Texas or Ohio State top-ten jobs...Rick Barnes has only made one Final Four in 12 seasons in Austin and for all the recruiting success he's had, you'd of thought he'd taken Burnt Orange to the Promised Land more often. Texas and OSU are football schools and hoops will always play second fiddle to the gridiron. Fire and brimstone is about to descend upon Columbus and will probably expose Thad Matta as a fraud cut in the same cloth as The Vest, or at least I hope it does. Death (penalty) to the Buckeyes!

I was going to post the same thing. These schools (especially Texas) were not top coaching jobs before the current coaches have had extreme success there. I attribute that to a high quality coach more than the program.

I guess he could be the overseas recruit people have heard rumors about. If he comes to SLU I would probably just hold onto the other scholarship instead of using it on someone this late in the game. Assuming Winters is out of the picture, as he appears to have fallen off the map. His recruitment was strange anyway with the phantom commitment to Baylor last year.

I was going to post the same thing. These schools (especially Texas) were not top coaching jobs before the current coaches have had extreme success there. I attribute that to a high quality coach more than the program.

Yeah, especially OSU during the Randy Ayers and Jimmy O'Brien years. I keep forgetting Paul Biancardi'srole in all that mess.

Virginia will likely be off limits since they're in the ACC

Good point. Is this the foreign kid you heard about visiting? He is an intriguing prospect. Looks like a cross between Nowitzki and Hansbrough... :D

Since he signed his letter of intent, would he have to sit out a year?

Don't thinks so. Once he enrolls, he would.

Edit: See Roy's post below, he would have to be released.

Since he signed his letter of intent, would he have to sit out a year?

i believe that if maryland releases him from the LOI he would not have to sit out a year. if they refuse, (josh fisher originally from pepperdine) then he would face penalty of having to use a redshirt year.

i believe that if maryland releases him from the LOI he would not have to sit out a year. if they refuse, (josh fisher originally from pepperdine) then he would face penalty of having to use a redshirt year.

Thanks. So Virginia is probably still high on his list considering he wouldnt have to sit out. Really hope we can get this kid, especially this late in the game.