What would Painter to Mizzou mean for SLU?

brianstl

I think it means that recruiting in the St Louis area would become even harder for us. Painter mined this area for years when he was at SIUC. It will, also, make recruiting in the Southern Il. area more difficult. We won't here anymore about Mizzou looking for different kinds of players than Slu. Painter's system and Rickma's both need the same kind of players.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it means that recruiting in the St Louis area would become even harder for us. Painter mined this area for years when he was at SIUC. It will, also, make recruiting in the Southern Il. area more difficult. We won't here anymore about Mizzou looking for different kinds of players than Slu. Painter's system and Rickma's both need the same kind of players.

I doubt it will change much. I am sure that Painter recruited St. Louis while at Purdue, its not that far away at all. Also, I am pretty sure I remember hearing that he was at a DeSmet game watching Nolan Berry earlier this year.

I doubt it will change much. I am sure that Painter recruited St. Louis while at Purdue, its not that far away at all. Also, I am pretty sure I remember hearing that he was at a DeSmet game watching Nolan Berry earlier this year.

Agree that it would make the Nolan Berry recruitment harder. Hopefully Easy Ed feels the same way about MU as many Bills fans do and wouldn't let his grandson stab him in the back.

I'm not sure how much it will matter in the near term with RM as head coach but after he leaves I suspect the new SLU coach will try to recruit locally. If Painter is strong in the area and has his pick of the crop it won't be a good thing for SLU.

Other than Cassity, who local is on our roster? And let's remember that Cassity is from a town 77 or so miles from St. Louis. Is that local? Before that it was Brett Thompson, who was from a town about 150 miles away. Locals prior to that were Maguire, Mitchell and Knollmeyer -- all run off by the current staff.

All Painter's hire might do is add another player into the sweepstakes for guys we already have little to no chance of getting. If a kid is good enough (Beal, Tyus, Swopeshire, Suggs, Griffey, etc.) to get interest from any national school of note, its "sayonara SLU" as they pull away in the rear view mirror, the Arch fading slowly in the distance.

The whole "recruit local" philosophy was Soderberg's Waterloo (Illinois). We need the Chicago pipeline to continue. Milwaukee, MPLS/St. Paul. Biondi's message is clear - to make SLU a nationally recognized and competitive university. We need our recruiting philosophy to echo that. If we don't get a kid from SLUH or DeSmet, it's not the end of the world. Let's get someone better.

The whole "recruit local" philosophy was Soderberg's Waterloo (Illinois). We need the Chicago pipeline to continue. Milwaukee, MPLS/St. Paul. Biondi's message is clear - to make SLU a nationally recognized and competitive university. We need our recruiting philosophy to echo that. If we don't get a kid from SLUH or DeSmet, it's not the end of the world. Let's get someone better.

The casual basketball fan in STL thinks all SLU and Mizzou need to do to be top 15 programs is recruit St. Louis. There just isn't enough talent coming out and truly elite talent (sans Larry Hughes) seems to want to get the heck outta dodge.

Even if Mizzou gets Painter (still have no idea), I'm sure he'll pay lip service to recruiting St. Louis but he'll be looking all over for talent, just like Majerus.

There is no excuse for this program to have landed zero local players who have had an impact on this team since KL and TLIII. This program needs to land a local kid who will have an impact every now and then.

VCU has one kid from Richmond on the team (Rozelle).

VCU has one kid from Richmond on the team (Rozelle).

And VCU isn't SLU.

What has this program accomplished in its history without at least a few St Louis kids contributing? The answer is nothing. The program started to rebound under Grawer with a focus on local kids and it finally blossomed under Spoon with a roster still heavily loaded with local players. The program has been treading water at best since then.

Agree that it would make the Nolan Berry recruitment harder. Hopefully Easy Ed feels the same way about MU as many Bills fans do and wouldn't let his grandson stab him in the back.

I'm not sure how much it will matter in the near term with RM as head coach but after he leaves I suspect the new SLU coach will try to recruit locally. If Painter is strong in the area and has his pick of the crop it won't be a good thing for SLU.

"Stab him in the back."...? I'm all for Nolan Berry picking SLU but that's pretty ridiculous. Nolan Berry is free to pick wherever he wants to go to school.

This sort of reminds me of conversations I've heard of...person A says to person B.."Where did you send your kid to school?"...They don't send their kids anywhere. The kid picks their own school...even in non-athlete situations. The parent may pay for all of it or some of it or none of it...but the kid picks their own school. It's not about the parent or grandparent.

It also reminds me of some of the animosity I've seen here and elsewhere if a local kid picks somewhere else for school.

As for Painter, it won't be much different than it is now. He'd recruit St. Louis more than his predecessors but overall it won't be too different.

And VCU isn't SLU.

What has this program accomplished in its history without at least a few St Louis kids contributing? The answer is nothing. The program started to rebound under Grawer with a focus on local kids and it finally blossomed under Spoon with a roster still heavily loaded with local players. The program has been treading water at best since then.

I know that. But they are in the final four without the help of a ton of local players. I don't want local players. We need kids who played in competitive conferences in high school.

And VCU isn't SLU.

RM is trying a different approach. But for The Situation, we would be enjoying success and not having this discussion. RM is a unique person/coach. In the future, we will need to get back to our St. Louis recruits; however, we also need to break down the negative stigma. Success will bring both the locals and non-locals.

I know Chris Braun was a pretty big bust. he was my neighbor when he moved to waterloo and is my 2nd cousin. rebounded and shot with him in the driveway a lot. good kid. just struggled. hes been pretty successful now though running his own business.

I know Chris Braun was a pretty big bust. he was my neighbor when he moved to waterloo and is my 2nd cousin. rebounded and shot with him in the driveway a lot. good kid. just struggled. hes been pretty successful now though running his own business.

Like the NCAA commercial...everybody will go pro in something.

RM is trying a different approach. But for The Situation, we would be enjoying success and not having this discussion. RM is a unique person/coach. In the future, we will need to get back to our St. Louis recruits; however, we also need to break down the negative stigma. Success will bring both the locals and non-locals.

The situation as an excuse for everything is getting old. It is easy to say we would have been in the tournament if it wouldn't have happened, but who really knows. Willie still probably wouldn't have played and while I think KM is more important than willie....... Would having him back really have improved the team enough to add the 10 or 11 extra wins we would have needed to make the tournament?

Understand the point Metz, but Richmond is not a recruiting hotbed last I saw. Maybe folks in Richmond would disagree but I never heard of it as such. I saw Marquette and Syracuse up close and personal and neither team was locked into Milwaukee nor upstate New York as to their rosters. As kshoe can attest, I have long scoffed at the idea of St. Louis being a major recruiting hotbed as well, arguing vehemently against old Vtime's assertion that all it took to winning was signing the local talent to a LOI. As MUTGR shows, the hottest STL talent usually (sans Hughes) hits the road. Most seems not that good. I guess I remember the old Street & Smith magazine and it would break down local high school talent by metro area. New York would have a team. Philly. Memphis. LA. Chicago. Baltimore. DC. Miami. Houston. Detroit and even St. Louis. I guess that is where my question of the St. Louis talent generates from. Year after year, the guys listed on that roster would fail for the most part. Or as I seem to recall. One only need look to "talent" like Polk, Shelton, Kern, Mimlitz, Tatum, Jones and others.

Yes, there is talent to be found, Hughes and those in the current tournament attest to my one-sided rant being wrong in some ways. There have been cases like Henderson, Douglas, Gray, Bonner, Claggett, Highmark, White, Carawell, Upchurch and others. I think while it is doubtful one can win assembling only St. Louis talent, there would seem to be some need to get some decent players to stay home and provide a local connection to the roster. However, its the name on the front of the jersey that supposedly matters and if that is indeed the case, who is inside that jersey should not matter. I think brian is right ---- the middle of the road would be okay. Getting one every now and then and maybe parlaying that into winning and then maybe scoring a big windfall down the road. Just don't see it.

"Stab him in the back."...? I'm all for Nolan Berry picking SLU but that's pretty ridiculous. Nolan Berry is free to pick wherever he wants to go to school.

This sort of reminds me of conversations I've heard of...person A says to person B.."Where did you send your kid to school?"...They don't send their kids anywhere. The kid picks their own school...even in non-athlete situations. The parent may pay for all of it or some of it or none of it...but the kid picks their own school. It's not about the parent or grandparent.

amazingly i agree with courtside on this one. i dont think it is "stabbing" easy ed "in the back". first off i would bet the farm, the family would have discussed. second, easy ed would likely agree that in the end it is nolan's decision. might ed be slightly disappointed? maybe for nostalgia reasons, but i would bet he will be as proud as ever for his grandson regardless.

granted in year's past i didnt see this. it took my own family situation to understand. even though my wife, my son and myself are all billikens, my daughter is not. but i am extremely proud she is at the number one ranked engineering undergrad school in the country and succeeding. sure i would have loved for her to be a billiken as well, but not as an engineer considering where slu is engineeringwise compared to rose hulman. she picked her school on what was best for her and after talking to both schools, there was no doubt rose was a better deal in every way except on weekends when we head to indiana to watch her play softball we have to wear that gaudy red. :-)

the point is, i bet easy ed will react the same way.

It also reminds me of some of the animosity I've seen here and elsewhere if a local kid picks somewhere else for school.

As for Painter, it won't be much different than it is now. He'd recruit St. Louis more than his predecessors but overall it won't be too different.

You take things way to seriously. The stabbing in the back was not mean to be all that serious.

That being said, I'm sure Easy Ed would love to see Nolan end up at SLU. Kids may choose, but family has influence, in all situations (including non-athletic).

For example, there is no way I will pay to send my kid to Mizzou. He may still "choose" to go there but he can take out a lot of loans if he wants to do so.

The situation as an excuse for everything is getting old. It is easy to say we would have been in the tournament if it wouldn't have happened, but who really knows. Willie still probably wouldn't have played and while I think KM is more important than willie....... Would having him back really have improved the team enough to add the 10 or 11 extra wins we would have needed to make the tournament?

Before the situation, were you upset with the direction of the program? Last Feb/March, I don't recall anybody on here complaining about where the program was heading.

You take things way to seriously. The stabbing in the back was not mean to be all that serious.

That being said, I'm sure Easy Ed would love to see Nolan end up at SLU. Kids may choose, but family has influence, in all situations (including non-athletic).

For example, there is no way I will pay to send my kid to Mizzou. He may still "choose" to go there but he can take out a lot of loans if he wants to do so.

Thanks for illustrating the point.

+1

The kind of players I want are Justin Love, Erwin Claggett, Marque Perry, Kwamain Mitchell, Scott Highmark, Rob Loe, Mike McCall, Kevin Lisch and Mo Jeffers. Some of these are local, some are non-local... but most importantly those are all good players. We need to find good players wherever we can find them.

I want us to make a run at all of the good local players, but two things I don't want to see us do... 1) waste too much time on players not interested in us 2) Make offers to second tier local players when there might be better non-local options.

Agreed that success will start to open up recruiting doors.

I couldn't diagree more with the "kid can pick whatever school he wants" theory. I know many families, mine included, that the parents had great influence on where the kids went to college. We all knew growing up that certain schools were off limits. There is a lot more to it than what may seem at the surface. A lot of things come into play - what the school offers, what would be good in the long run, value systems, religion, etc.

In regards to athletics, I know the same stuff goes on. I know kids who were not allowed to go to certain schools based on the Coach there. The parents didn't agree with the value system of the particluar Coach. Some may say that parents can only "influence" the decision and not make the final call and to some degree that is true since the kid is 18 and can make the decision as an adult. But, in many families, certain values are established and have buy in from all family members for many years and then it comes down a decion that is mutually agreed upon because a short list of approved schools was created.

I couldn't diagree more with the "kid can pick whatever school he wants" theory. I know many families, mine included, that the parents had great influence on where the kids went to college. We all knew growing up that certain schools were off limits. There is a lot more to it than what may seem at the surface. A lot of things come into play - what the school offers, what would be good in the long run, value systems, religion, etc.

In regards to athletics, I know the same stuff goes on. I know kids who were not allowed to go to certain schools based on the Coach there. The parents didn't agree with the value system of the particluar Coach. Some may say that parents can only "influence" the decision and not make the final call and to some degree that is true since the kid is 18 and can make the decision as an adult. But, in many families, certain values are established and have buy in from all family members for many years and then it comes down a decion that is mutually agreed upon because a short list of approved schools was created.

That isn't the point. Whether or not parents and and/or hangers on try to influence their kid where to attend school. The point is that it is the kid's decision, not the parents or others.

amazingly i agree with courtside on this one. i dont think it is "stabbing" easy ed "in the back". first off i would bet the farm, the family would have discussed. second, easy ed would likely agree that in the end it is nolan's decision. might ed be slightly disappointed? maybe for nostalgia reasons, but i would bet he will be as proud as ever for his grandson regardless.

granted in year's past i didnt see this. it took my own family situation to understand. even though my wife, my son and myself are all billikens, my daughter is not. but i am extremely proud she is at the number one ranked engineering undergrad school in the country and succeeding. sure i would have loved for her to be a billiken as well, but not as an engineer considering where slu is engineeringwise compared to rose hulman. she picked her school on what was best for her and after talking to both schools, there was no doubt rose was a better deal in every way except on weekends when we head to indiana to watch her play softball we have to wear that gaudy red. :-)

the point is, i bet easy ed will react the same way.

We need an editor for Broy. The above response would have sufficed.