What would Painter to Mizzou mean for SLU?

brianstl

The long term impacts of Painter to Mizzou will be interesting but I think the short term effects may be more interesting. I'm a huge Tigers fan but even I admit that since Painter and Anderson's systems are completely different Mizzou will most likely struggle for a couple years. I believe Painter has 3 scholarships available this year and 6 after next so it's going to take a while for Painter to get his type of players into the system and develop them. If Rick and SLU can finally put it together the next two years SLU has a legitimate shot to be the best team in the state. I think if SLU could make the NCAA tourney the next two years and Mizzou does not it would help increase our fan base, air time in the media, and give us an edge in recruiting in Stl. For the first time in my lifetime, SLU could be the premier team in the state and we will need to maximize the benefits of this if we want to become a consistent tourney participant.

not necessarily saying i disagree with all your points- but how is it going to take a long time to bring in his guys if he has NINE scholarships in his first two years? potentially 10 if Pressey transfers?

and even with different systems next year's team is talented and senior-laden. I could see a step back in year two, but I think next year I could coach them to a 12 seed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessarily saying i disagree with all your points- but how is it going to take a long time to bring in his guys if he has NINE scholarships in his first two years? potentially 10 if Pressey transfers?

and even with different systems next year's team is talented and senior-laden. I could see a step back in year two, but I think next year I could coach them to a 12 seed.

I agree the systems might be different but Mizzou will still have talent.

I actually think Painter would have coached this years team to a better record than CMA.

He will have his Jujuan Johnson in Ricardo Ratliffe, He will have his E'Twaun Moore in Marcus Denmon and the rest of the team will be loaded with upperclassmen.

I think it would be much harder going from Painters style to Andersons style than it will be going from Anderson's style to Painters style.

The Mizzou players knew the fundamentals in high school they just chose to ignore them under Anderson.

If he ends up at Mizzou I really think we will see huge improvements in Kim English and Steve Moore and they will be back to the tournament next year.

I also don't see the transition to be as painful. For one, Painter was criticized for using a 4-guard lineup too much. That tells me that his offense is geared to guard play, which is a strength of the Tigers. Unlike college football, one can make a difference quickly in college basketball. I'm more concerned about the year after this one where Mizzou might take a plunge. However, I'm confident that Painter will be the answer long-term.

I also don't see the transition to be as painful. For one, Painter was criticized for using a 4-guard lineup too much. That tells me that his offense is geared to guard play, which is a strength of the Tigers. Unlike college football, one can make a difference quickly in college basketball. I'm more concerned about the year after this one where Mizzou might take a plunge. However, I'm confident that Painter will be the answer long-term.

You'll wave the Mizzou pom poms for whatever coach they trot out there. Quin, Anderson, Painter... doesn't matter.

Courtside, never sure you know what or not is covered. It seems like it needs to be explained to you. Even Cheesy had to point out in another thread you were not commenting on the right thing.

I'll speak more slowly for you if need be. It's the kid's decision. I've repeatedly acknowledged in this thread that parents, hangers on, etc...try, sadly, to direct their kid or that person to this or that school to live out their own selfish wishes. This applies to AAU coaches, high school coaches, parents, grandparents, World Wide Wes, poor, wealthy, etc...

It's the kid's life and decision.

You'll wave the Mizzou pom poms for whatever coach they trot out there. Quin, Anderson, Painter... doesn't matter.

A 66.7% success rate isn't bad in my book. I'll wave the Alden pom poms all day. I can remember the very dark days with the Clemons episode and the move to axe Alden. Then let's move to football (Pinkel). With that success rate, you get credibility from me.

A 66.7% success rate isn't bad in my book. I'll wave the Alden pom poms all day. I can remember the very dark days with the Clemons episode and the move to axe Alden. Then let's move to football (Pinkel). With that success rate, you get credibility from me.

What success has Painter had at MU?

You were also a big fan of Quin's.

I'll speak more slowly for you if need be. It's the kid's decision. I've repeatedly acknowledged in this thread that parents, hangers on, etc...try, sadly, to direct their kid or that person to this or that school to live out their own selfish wishes. This applies to AAU coaches, high school coaches, parents, grandparents, World Wide Wes, poor, wealthy, etc...

Sounds like a great recruiting strategy. Focus solely on the kid and ignore the parents, coaches, etc. :rolleyes:

You were also a big fan of Quin's.

Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours. 66.7% is 2 out of 3. Yes, I was a big fan of Quin. Now going back to SLU, I was happy about the hiring of Spoonhour, Romar, and eventually Soderberg, but not Majerus. Of course, Soderberg was not successful and I should have gone with my initial instincts on him.

Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours. 66.7% is 2 out of 3. Yes, I was a big fan of Quin. Now going back to SLU, I was happy about the hiring of Spoonhour, Romar, and eventually Soderberg, but not Majerus. Of course, Soderberg was not successful and I should have gone with my initial instincts on him.

You were a big fan of Quin. Thank you. Enough said. :lol:

Math must not be a strong suit of yours. Only two coaches other than Norm have coached Mizzou in the last 50 years. How could 2 of 3 Alden hires be included in your success rate?

What success has Painter had at MU?

Very true. We will see. However, look at Painter's pedigree and I like my chances with Mizzou. He's won at SIUC and Purdue, who has to compete with IU on an annual basis. No one, including myself, would have thought that Mizzou could have gotten Painter.

Very true. We will see. However, look at Painter's pedigree and I like my chances with Mizzou. He's won at SIUC and Purdue, who has to compete with IU on an annual basis. No one, including myself, would have thought that Mizzou could have gotten Painter.

Despite Bernie's tweets, I didn't know anything was official yet. Looks like you've scooped them all!

Math must not be a strong suit of yours. Only two coaches other than Norm have coached Mizzou in the last 50 years. How could 2 of 3 Alden hires be included in your success rate?

How long has Alden been AD at Mizzou? Would you say that having only four coaches in your two major sports not successful? He's been there since 1998 and has made one bad hire (Quin). Excuse me for being presumptuous in assuming that Painter will be successful at Mizzou, given his pedigree, young age, and no NCAA sanctions. I still give Alden credit for even acquiring his services. It's subject to change, but I'm giving Alden credit for landing a great coach if it happens.

Despite Bernie's tweets, I didn't know anything was official yet. Looks like you've scooped them all!

As some of you might remember, I'm a huge fan of Miklasz and don't see him as an irresponsible reporter. Yes, he said it's unofficial, but I trust his word. I haven't been given evidence otherwise. He doesn't make that post unless his source is very strong.

As some of you might remember, I'm a huge fan of Miklasz and don't see him as an irresponsible reporter. Yes, he said it's unofficial, but I trust his word. I haven't been given evidence otherwise. He doesn't make that post unless his source is very strong.

Its just kind of weird that on this day when Painter is apparently agreeing to terms with MU (according to Twitter anyway) you show up on Billikens.com to make a bunch of posts that are either 1) very congratulatory towards MU or 2) talk about getting rid of RM for a new blueprint.

I'm sure its just odd timing, given that you haven't been on this board more than a handful of times over the past year or so...

Its just kind of weird that on this day when Painter is apparently agreeing to terms with MU (according to Twitter anyway) you show up on Billikens.com to make a bunch of posts that are either 1) very congratulatory towards MU or 2) talk about getting rid of RM for a new blueprint.

I'm sure its just odd timing, given that you haven't been on this board more than a handful of times over the past year or so...

For one, there hasn't been much to talk about. Coaching changes bring about chatter. When Majerus leaves, I will no doubt be on to talk about that. I know you think there's an ulterior motive, but I'd think you'd have a stronger case if I became silent when SLU started winning. That hasn't been the case. In fact, Majerus's record is oddly similar to Soderberg.

+1

AJ pulled a disappearing act after his hit and run job on SLU after they lost to Sweet 16 Richmond in a close battle on the road. We didn't hear from aj for over a month, until this Mizzou crap popped up. He next came on the board to spin it that he "was" a Mike Anderson fan. :lol: Same old trolling aj.

For one, there hasn't been much to talk about. Coaching changes bring about chatter. When Majerus leaves, I will no doubt be on to talk about that. I know you think there's an ulterior motive, but I'd think you'd have a stronger case if I became silent when SLU started winning. That hasn't been the case. In fact, Majerus's record is oddly similar to Soderberg.

Huh? In the last week, we have had multiple, long threads on the following subjects:

- WR declaring for NBA

- CS possible transfer

- Additional recruiting options if these two are gone

- Big East suckiness in NCAA tourney

- Performance of mid-majors in dance and implications for other small schools

- Georgia Tech hiring Gregory

- The Mizzou coaching changes

Somehow, I don't think we needed an AJ sighting to stay busy much less an AJ "Blueprint to Success" thread. Maybe you should start a "SLU should join the MVC thread." That would be original!

Would you not think that the doors that RM gets in are now the same doors that PM can open since he is a top recruiter for RM?

I think Moser will have to rely on a more local recruiting base than Majerus, which Painter could invade.

It's sad how naive you are and how one sided you see things. Mom and Dad not love you enough?