Turn the Jett's on

HusakAttack

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Less minutes yes, but it won't be 15 per game. Kyle will rightfully play give or take 25 minutes per game.

I'm going with more like 20 mpg. Admittedly this may be a bit of wishful thinking based on my hopes for JB and the development of MM and JJ. The annual minutes per game predictions will be a great thread prior to next season. I think we will see some predictions that will vary a great deal.

Cassity will be an extremely important part of next years team. He will be back in his comfort zone, and I believe, will excel.

Btw, clock_tower is now going on ignore after his comments about nate and suggesting that arguably our best player is ".5" players.

You're going to ignore him because you disagree? Isn't the debate what makes the message board fun?

You're going to ignore him because you disagree? Isn't the debate what makes the message board fun?

Calling kc 0.5 players is insulting, as well as his insulting comments about one of the few media members that acknowledges slu bball. I just don't feel like reading that.

I rarely agree with roy, but would never ignore him :)

Calling kc 0.5 players is insulting, as well as his insulting comments about one of the few media members that acknowledges slu bball. I just don't feel like reading that.

Whats even worse is that he called this years BEST player 0.5 of a player.

What does that say about the rest of the guys on the team?

Whats even worse is that he called this years BEST player 0.5 of a player.

What does that say about the rest of the guys on the team?

Come on, guys, Clock Tower didn't call Kyle Cassity half of a player. What he said was that when he's not being aggressive it's like guarding 4.5 players. That may or may not be true, but it's not an insult. If you have a player who can't hit very well from the perimeter, the player guarding him can sag, meaning that the other four players have to get through five defenders. It's like five defenders guarding four players. Well, Clock is saying that, based on the way Cassity plays, it's like five defenders guarding 4.5. I don't agree, but it's not an egregious opinion.

Come on, guys, Clock Tower didn't call Kyle Cassity half of a player. What he said was that when he's not being aggressive it's like guarding 4.5 players. That may or may not be true, but it's not an insult. If you have a player who can't hit very well from the perimeter, the player guarding him can sag, meaning that the other four players have to get through five defenders. It's like five defenders guarding four players. Well, Clock is saying that, based on the way Cassity plays, it's like five defenders guarding 4.5. I don't agree, but it's not an egregious opinion.

He said

If a kid won't shoot/doesn't score, he gets a .5 in my book.

Well Cassity has the second most FG attempts on the team. Trailing only JJ by 3.

So if he gets a .5 for not shooting enough and for the most part is tied for the lead in shots taken does that mean we only have 2.5 players against the other teams 5?

If a player doesnt score enough he gets a 0.5. Well Cassity is leading the team in scoring. So again is it 2.5 Bills against the other teams 5.

If he wants to say Cassity is half a player thats fine but then no way in hell can he count the guys trailing him in almost every stat as a whole

Wow! I commented last night about the possibility of KC's minutes going down and I check tonight and all of a sudden it is is 4 pages deep in comments. Well, let me chime in a bit. I am in the camp of slufanskip and ACE when it comes to KC. He has been forced to be a go-to guy this year and that is just not in his makeup. However, he does many, MANY things well. He is a very good defender, a great passer and protects the ball well. He also runs the offense the way RM wants him to. He is the ultimate 'glue' guy. RM feels more confident with him on the court than any other player.

Having said that, come next season, there will be other players that will push him for playing time. Aside from KM coming back, there is JB who RM thinks very highly of. JJ will also demand lots of minutes as well as MM. Who knows about CS. That is 6 guards demanding 80 minutes. Now, this can expand into a 3 guard lineup, but it won't be a full 120 minutes considering that DE and CE can garner playing time in the 3-spot. Thus, minutes will be tough to come by and RM will give them out to the players who contribute the most.

I just don't see KC getting 30+ minutes a game next season. Of course, I also don't see him getting a measly 5 a game. He is a valuable player. He can contribute points when needed. He can run an offense. Yet, he also has a certain lack of assertiveness that leads him to not press and force the issue when it is needed. KM has it, JJ may, but KC doesn't. Yet, that doesn't make him a bad player or someone to hate on. It also doesn't mean that he is unable to make clutch shots, as he has proven in the past that he can. It just means that he cannot be relied on to be the main guy. And I think RM would state that he shouldn't be.

I have to wonder this though...if KC didn't have the floppy hair, the cherub cheeks, the 'aw, shucks' demeanor, his mom in the stands wearing his jersey and cheering wildly as well as billikenfan05 also wearing his jersey, would he get this amount of hate from many of us on this board? Not even stating it is a black/white thing...if he looked and acted like CS or PE yet put up the same numbers and played the same style, would we treat him differently? I think some of us would...

P.S. Billikenfan05, that was not meant as a shot at you. I just noticed that you wear a 23 jersey and you get a lot of attention during the games.

Sometimes, in order to be successful or excell at something, one has to get out of his or her comfort zone. KC refuses to do so even though the team has needed him to do so. But, that does not mean he is not a good ballplayer and has not helped the team in many ways.

Sometimes, in order to be successful or excell at something, one has to get out of his or her comfort zone. KC refuses to do so even though the team has needed him to do so. But, that does not mean he is not a good ballplayer and has not helped the team in many ways.

It's not a question of getting out of his comfort zone. Let me give you the ball 25 feet away and put some one quicker and the same size as you guarding you and tell you to score the game winner. You can't, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. It's not Kyle's game. He's not quick for a 6'5" guard, he's not strong for a guard his size, he doesn't have exceptional ball skills for a player his size. What he does have is great instincts and smarts to be in the right place at the right time, the ability to see the floor and make the right pass, a fundamentally sound shot and the ability to use either hand. Kyle is a good all around D1 basketball player why can't we quit wishing he was something else because the 2 guys we had that were that go to guy were suspended.

Wow! I commented last night about the possibility of KC's minutes going down and I check tonight and all of a sudden it is is 4 pages deep in comments. Well, let me chime in a bit. I am in the camp of slufanskip and ACE when it comes to KC. He has been forced to be a go-to guy this year and that is just not in his makeup. However, he does many, MANY things well. He is a very good defender, a great passer and protects the ball well. He also runs the offense the way RM wants him to. He is the ultimate 'glue' guy. RM feels more confident with him on the court than any other player.

Having said that, come next season, there will be other players that will push him for playing time. Aside from KM coming back, there is JB who RM thinks very highly of. JJ will also demand lots of minutes as well as MM. Who knows about CS. That is 6 guards demanding 80 minutes. Now, this can expand into a 3 guard lineup, but it won't be a full 120 minutes considering that DE and CE can garner playing time in the 3-spot. Thus, minutes will be tough to come by and RM will give them out to the players who contribute the most.

I just don't see KC getting 30+ minutes a game next season. Of course, I also don't see him getting a measly 5 a game. He is a valuable player. He can contribute points when needed. He can run an offense. Yet, he also has a certain lack of assertiveness that leads him to not press and force the issue when it is needed. KM has it, JJ may, but KC doesn't. Yet, that doesn't make him a bad player or someone to hate on. It also doesn't mean that he is unable to make clutch shots, as he has proven in the past that he can. It just means that he cannot be relied on to be the main guy. And I think RM would state that he shouldn't be.

I have to wonder this though...if KC didn't have the floppy hair, the cherub cheeks, the 'aw, shucks' demeanor, his mom in the stands wearing his jersey and cheering wildly as well as billikenfan05 also wearing his jersey, would he get this amount of hate from many of us on this board? Not even stating it is a black/white thing...if he looked and acted like CS or PE yet put up the same numbers and played the same style, would we treat him differently? I think some of us would...

P.S. Billikenfan05, that was not meant as a shot at you. I just noticed that you wear a 23 jersey and you get a lot of attention during the games.

This message is apporved by Dlarry, the Rock, Travis Bickle, and most importantly Rosario Dawson

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little birdie once told me that Kyle Cassity has NBA potential. Did anyone else hear this?

The thing that concerns me when KC runs the team instead of KM is the flip side of what worried me when KM ran the team.

KM would shoot or go to the hole as his first options and pass if stuck.

KC and the rest of our team seem content to run the clock to 34 seconds before launching a desperation shot.

Why do we run the clock down when we are behind-just force of habit?

If JJ, KM , JB, CS have the ball you feel they may shoot even Paul Eckerle; if KC or CR has the ball anywhere outside 2 feet of the basket you expect them to get rid of it-so does the opposition.

MM seems to be the least predictable. Is that good?

It's not a question of getting out of his comfort zone. Let me give you the ball 25 feet away and put some one quicker and the same size as you guarding you and tell you to score the game winner. You can't, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. It's not Kyle's game. He's not quick for a 6'5" guard, he's not strong for a guard his size, he doesn't have exceptional ball skills for a player his size. What he does have is great instincts and smarts to be in the right place at the right time, the ability to see the floor and make the right pass, a fundamentally sound shot and the ability to use either hand. Kyle is a good all around D1 basketball player why can't we quit wishing he was something else because the 2 guys we had that were that go to guy were suspended.

-thank you skip, you are right on target

I can only speak for myself but just to correct a few things. First, my comments are NOT based upon KC's looks, appearance, demeanor or race. Second, I had no idea that KC's Mom sits in the stands cheering while wearing KC's jersey. I am not really surprised by this but not a factor to me. Third, I fully understand that other players on this team produce less than KC. The difference, though, is that KC (and BC) are the most experienced players on the team. I have been (contrary to some on this Board) KC's biggest supporter preaching patience... After 3 years, though, my patience has run out and I would not give him 30 mpg next year. Glue and passing are great, but this is a game about scoring. Fourth, I am not looking to KC to be the "go to guy" or anything like that. Sure, I would love it if he (or someone else) would step up and be that guy. So far, KC is not that guy, and unless I am misreading the posts of some on this Board, he probably never will be the go to guy. Guys with KC's experience need to ask for the ball and make a key basket each game. I know that he won't score 20 ppg. But Juniors with 3 years of major minutes under their belts who play 30 mpg need to score in the second half of games and need to hit a key basket or get to the free throw line to prevent/stop long scoring droughts.

In short, I agree that our team will be better if we get both KM and WR (still not so sure) back next year. KM and WR can be the "go to guys" instead of KC. I get that. At the same time, 2 players cannot carry a team. Last year is proof. At a minimum, a team needs 3 players to really step up and score. I could provide numerous examples from last year's team w/ the addition of CE to the SLU team with IV, TL and KL... Really good teams, though, meaning Top 25 teams, have more than 3 go to players and/or better go to players than WR and KM. Who will be the extra players to step up and actually score? Hopefully, JB will be that guy and/or that CE regains his form/shot. Without that, we will not be "stacked" or really good, etc. Instead, we will be much better than this year, but we won't be close to Top 25 good.

My point: we need scorers. We can find glue and good passing elsewehere and give the youngsters more of a chance. We cannot rely solely upon KM and WR. We cannot give 30 mpg to a guy who remains afraid to shoot and/or refuse to shoot. It is one thing to say that KC is not a go to guy but, sorry, even role players need to score. KC went the entire second half w/o a point. To me, that is unacceptable. I already know that KC won't win the game for us in the last minute of the game but what about the other 19 minutes? No personal vendetta or venom for KC. Like PE, he simply needs to be replaced in the lineup if we are to be a really good team. And if the other guys aren't good enough to do so next year (not this year), then I question how much talent they really have and would suggest that maybe we have oversold them.

I think a lot of people mistake the "hate" for Cassity. I think he has the ability to and can be the best player on the team right now, but it seems like he doesnt want to. And yes, I know he was not recruited to be a go-to guy or carry the team and that not his style but what I get upset with is his not becoming that in this opportunity this year. It's not his fault, I just thought he was going to explode for a big year and while he is leading the team in scoring, 9 ppg is not exactly setting the world on fire. There are tons of players who arent recruited to be go-to guys but make the most of their opportunities and develop into them. Gordon Heyward, Adam Morrison just to name a few from recent years.

I don't speak for everyone who criticizes him but I know I do simply cause I expected him to step up more this year, not because I think he is a bad player or doesn't bring anything to the team.

I think a lot of the frustration about KC comes from his inconsistent play. The guy shows flashes of being a great player (great defender and passer, good shooting stroke, and enough size to drive to the basket) but he doesn't have the aggressiveness to do it consistently. He constantly teases fans with short spurts of great play. I wasn't able to watch but first half of the GW game sounds like another example. At times he looks like he can be a go to guy but he refuses to try to take on that role. The Dayton game at home last year kind of epitomizes him. The first half he was horrid. He clanked several layups and had several turnovers. And as a team we score I believe 17 pts. The second half he comes out stroking it and shoots us back in the game from beyond the arc. KM banked in the long one for the tie but KC jumpstarted that comeback.

I think a lot of the frustration about KC comes from his inconsistent play. The guy shows flashes of being a great player (great defender and passer, good shooting stroke, and enough size to drive to the basket) but he doesn't have the aggressiveness to do it consistently. He constantly teases fans with short spurts of great play. I wasn't able to watch but first half of the GW game sounds like another example. At times he looks like he can be a go to guy but he refuses to try to take on that role. The Dayton game at home last year kind of epitomizes him. The first half he was horrid. He clanked several layups and had several turnovers. And as a team we score I believe 17 pts. The second half he comes out stroking it and shoots us back in the game from beyond the arc. KM banked in the long one for the tie but KC jumpstarted that comeback.

how in the world can you call the player that leads the team in scoring, assists and assists to turnover ratio, and might be the best help defensive guard player the billikens have had since carlos maccauley inconsistent?

this whole thread is ridiculous. if kyle cassity is a .5 player, the rest of our team doesnt add up to 2.0.

how in the world can you call the player that leads the team in scoring, assists and assists to turnover ratio, and might be the best help defensive guard player the billikens have had since carlos maccauley inconsistent?

this whole thread is ridiculous. if kyle cassity is a .5 player, the rest of our team doesnt add up to 2.0.

Roy, I think it's fair to say that there are halves or games that KC disappears. GW is a good example. First half, KC was awesome. 2nd half, did he even have a point (i think he had a layup)? I don't know if this means that he is inconsistent on the whole, but there are definitely times when I'm asking "Is KC playing this game?"

I think people are most critical of KC because he has shown spurts of being very very good and when he disappears it is very noticeable.

Edit: The criticism that KC gets applies to everyone on this team this year and KC has proven to be more consistent than anyone this year.