Turn the Jett's on

HusakAttack

2 reasons: 1) his transformation from a complete waste offensively as a freshmen to someone who was a threat in his sophomore year. 2) he was thrown into a position where for this team to be successful, the offense has to be driven by him as the only upperclassmen guard with substantial playing experience.

We'll start with number one as that's pretty easy. A threat in bis soph year? by who's standards? He averaged 6.2 ppg on 5.8 shots per game while getting to the line just over once every 2 games.

Number 2, just because we need something from a player, doesn't make him capable. Kyle's role was never meant to be a lead scorer and there is a reason for that. He doesn't have the skill set

Kyle has increased his scoring by over 50% from 6.2 to 9.8 his fg% is up to 47% from 39%. His 3 pt shooting is up to 39% from 33%. His assist to t/o ratio is at 2.23 up from 1.56. Kyle is a player who has made huge strides from his soph to Jr years but people are unhappy because he can't assume a role he was never intended to assume nor does he have the skill set to assume. It is not Kyle's fault that SLU has a problem with riding in trains or just watching them pass by.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He could certainly use a little more muscle. His biggest weakness offensively is finishing at the basket, while defensively he has some trouble with bigger guards. A combination of KM and MM is going to be fun to watch.

I agree. The encouraging thing is that he has shown that he can get to the basket. Last game, it was encouraging that he drove across the lane to the left and then flipped off the glass and in with his left-hand. It was a great play. When you add in KM and JB, we will have the chance to overwhelm the opposition with our variety of good perimeter players.

We'll start with number one as that's pretty easy. A threat in bis soph year? by who's standards? He averaged 6.2 ppg on 5.8 shots per game while getting to the line just over once every 2 games.

Number 2, just because we need something from a player, doesn't make him capable. Kyle's role was never meant to be a lead scorer and there is a reason for that. He doesn't have the skill set

Kyle has increased his scoring by over 50% from 6.2 to 9.8 his fg% is up to 47% from 39%. His 3 pt shooting is up to 39% from 33%. His assist to t/o ratio is at 2.23 up from 1.56. Kyle is a player who has made huge strides from his soph to Jr years but people are unhappy because he can't assume a role he was never intended to assume nor does he have the skill set to assume. It is not Kyle's fault that SLU has a problem with riding in trains or just watching them pass by.

You continue to make it sound like I hate the kid, I don't know what your deal is. All I have ever said is I thought he would do more this year, excuse me for expressing an opinion.

Ad yes, the team leader in assists and second in 3 pointers who scored in double digits regularly last year is a threat.

You continue to make it sound like I hate the kid, I don't know what your deal is. All I have ever said is I thought he would do more this year, excuse me for expressing an opinion.

Ad yes, the team leader in assists and second in 3 pointers who scored in double digits regularly last year is a threat.

I hoped he would do more, but I was probably being overly optimistic. I thought if we were going to have any success this year, somebody would have to step up. Of the returning players, I thought Cody and Kyle were the only ones with the potential to do so. Unfortunately, that has not been the case and we're relying on freshmen, which unless they're John Wall or Kyrie Irving, is never a good idea.

Kyle is a nice player, but he's not the solution. He's also not the problem.

Regularly? What is regularly? If he scored in double digits even half the time he'd have had to have averaged about 2 ppg for the other half. Is regularly one-third of the games? Without looking it up I'd wager he didn't score in double figures 25% of the time. What does leading the team in assists have to do with his ability to score?

You and others keep calling him a role player? You wanted his minutes to be under 20 mpg next year. Just reading through your statements makes me seriously wonder how much you understand the game. Posters constantly ripping Kyle (hell Clock wanted him to play 5 mpg) gets tiring and shows how little clue some have.

Here's a bet I'll make with anyone. Kyle will average more then 20 mpg next year unless injured. How about you?

Regularly? What is regularly? If he scored in double digits even half the time he'd have had to have averaged about 2 ppg for the other half. Is regularly one-third of the games? Without looking it up I'd wager he didn't score in double figures 25% of the time. What does leading the team in assists have to do with his ability to score?

You and others keep calling him a role player? You wanted his minutes to be under 20 mpg next year. Just reading through your statements makes me seriously wonder how much you understand the game. Posters constantly ripping Kyle (hell Clock wanted him to play 5 mpg) gets tiring and shows how little clue some have.

Here's a bet I'll make with anyone. Kyle will average more then 20 mpg next year unless injured. How about you?

Leading the team in assists has to do with overall offensive ability. Without looking at the statistics also, I will bet you that he scored in double figures at least 25% of the games last year which would mean 7. I will not take your bet of 20 mpg because I think he will play more than that and never said he will play less.

This is the second time you have questioned how much I know about the game. Who the hell are you, the almight basketball God? WHat do you know about the game? I have no idea who you are but I do know that you posted that you believe Shimmy is really building something special. Whats special to you? I know a 55-89 record in her 5th season is not too special. Anyone disagree?

This argument is absolutely moronic and I am not wasting any more of my life on it. Kyle is playing how he is playing and I will continue to cheer for him.

"Every shot is a good shot for Kyle." Coach Majerus

Leading the team in assists has to do with overall offensive ability. Without looking at the statistics also, I will bet you that he scored in double figures at least 25% of the games last year which would mean 7. I will not take your bet of 20 mpg because I think he will play more than that and never said he will play less.

This is the second time you have questioned how much I know about the game. Who the hell are you, the almight basketball God? WHat do you know about the game? I have no idea who you are but I do know that you posted that you believe Shimmy is really building something special. Whats special to you? I know a 55-89 record in her 5th season is not too special. Anyone disagree?

This argument is absolutely moronic and I am not wasting any more of my life on it. Kyle is playing how he is playing and I will continue to cheer for him.

"Every shot is a good shot for Kyle." Coach Majerus

Didn't Kyle play in 36 games last year? You said earlier in this thread he should play 20 minutes as an absolute max.

How about you show me where I said Shimmy is really building something special. In fact here was my post in the last womens basketball thread

I don't know either. Looking at their stats it's pretty clear they don't shoot the ball well. They have only 3 players shooting over 40% from the field and 2 of those are bigs one Soph and one Sr. The other is a freshman guard who has only taken 22 shots on the year. So basically only 2 bigs.

I really like Shimmy and want them to do well, but I'd also say the arrow needs to start pointing up. Over half their minutes are played by underclassmen, so maybe that's a good thing.

And btw ... here's yours

they need to recruit more hot girls that dont get nosebleeds

Didn't Kyle play in 36 games last year? You said earlier in this thread he should play 20 minutes as an absolute max.

How about you show me where I said Shimmy is really building something special. In fact here was my post in the last womens basketball thread

I don't know either. Looking at their stats it's pretty clear they don't shoot the ball well. They have only 3 players shooting over 40% from the field and 2 of those are bigs one Soph and one Sr. The other is a freshman guard who has only taken 22 shots on the year. So basically only 2 bigs.

I really like Shimmy and want them to do well, but I'd also say the arrow needs to start pointing up. Over half their minutes are played by underclassmen, so maybe that's a good thing.

And btw ... here's yours

"The ladies won by 10 against Fordham last night. If you haven't gotten out and watched them play ... you are missing out. They don't shoot well, but they really get after it. I really believe Shimmy is building something and we will begin seeing results soon."

There's your quote, Buster.

Go Bills!

"The ladies won by 10 against Fordham last night. If you haven't gotten out and watched them play ... you are missing out. They don't shoot well, but they really get after it. I really believe Shimmy is building something and we will begin seeing results soon."

There's your quote, Buster.

Go Bills!

You're right, my bad. I didn't remember making it. I was obviously caught up in the win and the exciting game. That is clearly an overstatement on my part.

And btw ... here's yours

:lol: That's the biggest beat down since courtside destroyed kevinfootes.

:lol: That's the biggest beat down since courtside destroyed kevinfootes.

Except that he was right, I did say it after the Fordham game. I clearly let the great time we had at the game and the way they played in that game influence me and overstated what is going on.

I think they are improving and have some good young players, but "building something special" Not at this point.

Except that he was right, I did say it after the Fordham game. I clearly let the great time we had at the game and the way they played in that game influence me and overstated what is going on.

I think they are improving and have some good young players, but "building something special" Not at this point.

The part about hot girls and nosebleeds cracked me up. I'm sure jimbo wants more hot girls. Hey, isn't Friday. ;)

I was wrong on Kyle's double digit scoring as well. I owe you a beer at the LaSalle game.

Skip. You're right on some but not all. First, you used my name so let me makes things clear. I have NOT been "constantly ripping Kyle" so refer to someone else if you are getting tired. Second, my comment about KC and 5 minutes was right after yet another tough loss, that I personally watched, in which KC (and others) let the game slip away - and at home. After a little distance, I then suggested 15 mpg. Third, I agree that KC is doing the best he can, and as you point out correctly, his game has improved each year - including from last year (Soph) to this year (JR). As mentioned in an earlier post, KC is not the sole reason why this team is below .500. I get that. KC was a late/Spring addition to RM's first recruiting year and, yes, RM probably did not think he was building his team around KC. With the loss of BT, RC and FJ, and now the loss of KM and WR, that leaves only BC and KC still standing.

Still, based upon your professed knowledge of the game, tell me how, NEXT YEAR, KC deserves to get 30 mpg. Will we really have 4 "go to guys" who can handle the scoring while KC acts like glue, makes his passes and scores a few buckets when the other team forgets about him? To me, that 5 against 4.5. We have seen KC play, and I can assure you that KC will not be some big scoring threat next year. Unless KC starts taking steriods, KC will not have the needed strength to compete with the Top 25 teams as he lacks superior speed, quickness, shooting, dribbling, etc. He's the best we have this year, but KC got beaten and taken to the basket on several occasions by UMass. If my numbers/memory is correct, by Gurley. Really, my comments are equally positve toward the other players as they are negative about KC.

To me, players capable of scoring 20 ppg: WR, KM and hopefully a healthy CE who seems to be rounding into the shape we hope/expect. Add to this mix the likes of JB. If CE returns to the form we expect and if JB is as good as advertised, then why keep MM, JJ and DE on the bench in favor of KC?

And in response to Ace who wrote:

When you add in KM and JB, we will have the chance to overwhelm the opposition with our variety of good perimeter players.

Yes. We will finally have a chance to line up 5 guys who can score against the likes of X and Temple next year. To me, that's 5 against 5. And if it makes people feel better, we have had games where it felt like we were going 5 against only 3.

Skip. You're right on some but not all. First, you used my name so let me makes things clear. I have NOT been "constantly ripping Kyle" so refer to someone else if you are getting tired. Second, my comment about KC and 5 minutes was right after yet another tough loss, that I personally watched, in which KC (and others) let the game slip away - and at home. After a little distance, I then suggested 15 mpg. Third, I agree that KC is doing the best he can, and as you point out correctly, his game has improved each year - including from last year (Soph) to this year (JR). As mentioned in an earlier post, KC is not the sole reason why this team is below .500. I get that. KC was a late/Spring addition to RM's first recruiting year and, yes, RM probably did not think he was building his team around KC. With the loss of BT, RC and FJ, and now the loss of KM and WR, that leaves only BC and KC still standing.

Still, based upon your professed knowledge of the game, tell me how, NEXT YEAR, KC deserves to get 30 mpg. Will we really have 4 "go to guys" who can handle the scoring while KC acts like glue, makes his passes and scores a few buckets when the other team forgets about him? To me, that 5 against 4.5. We have seen KC play, and I can assure you that KC will not be some big scoring threat next year. Unless KC starts taking steriods, KC will not have the needed strength to compete with the Top 25 teams as he lacks superior speed, quickness, shooting, dribbling, etc. He's the best we have this year, but KC got beaten and taken to the basket on several occasions by UMass. If my numbers/memory is correct, by Gurley. Really, my comments are equally positve toward the other players as they are negative about KC.

To me, players capable of scoring 20 ppg: WR, KM and hopefully a healthy CE who seems to be rounding into the shape we hope/expect. Add to this mix the likes of JB. If CE returns to the form we expect and if JB is as good as advertised, then why keep MM, JJ and DE on the bench in favor of KC?

And in response to Ace who wrote:

When you add in KM and JB, we will have the chance to overwhelm the opposition with our variety of good perimeter players.

Yes. We will finally have a chance to line up 5 guys who can score against the likes of X and Temple next year. To me, that's 5 against 5. And if it makes people feel better, we have had games where it felt like we were going 5 against only 3.

I only used your name where I said you stated 5 minutes a game, which you did. Sorry if you changed it and I missed it, I didn't mean to misrepresent your thoughts.

I also don't think he should or will play 30 mpg, but 10 ppg while shooting 47% from the field and 39% from three is nothing to sneeze at. When you add in 3 assists pg and an assist to t/o ratio of over 2-1 with no one to speak of to pass to, he's more than a "role player". However, next year he will be surrounded by many other players that deserve minutes also so I'd guess his minutes will go down. Basketball isn't only about guys who can score. I know you know that but our lack of scoring due to "the situation" and Kyle's inability to become that guy seems to have reduced what we are looking for to who can score the most.

I only used your name where I said you stated 5 minutes a game, which you did. Sorry if you changed it and I missed it, I didn't mean to misrepresent your thoughts.

I also don't think he should or will play 30 mpg, but 10 ppg while shooting 47% from the field and 39% from three is nothing to sneeze at. When you add in 3 assists pg and an assist to t/o ratio of over 2-1 with no one to speak of to pass to, he's more than a "role player". However, next year he will be surrounded by many other players that deserve minutes also so I'd guess his minutes will go down. Basketball isn't only about guys who can score. I know you know that but our lack of scoring due to "the situation" and Kyle's inability to become that guy seems to have reduced what we are looking for to who can score the most.

Yes. I know that you know that the return of WR and KM will NOT make us a Top 25 team. We will NOT be "stacked" or dominate with just them. Instead, we will need 3 other players to step up and carry the load. Since I have followed the Bills, we have really never had that. Last year, with only KM and WR, we won some games but lost several as well. It was not until CE started playing that defenses realized that they needed to change. With scoring coming from all three, our win totals started to increase but we still were not Top 25. Sure, on a given day we could beat some Top 25 teams but that does not make a team truly Top 25. I can go back to every Billiken team that I recall and show 3 really good players are needed to win 20+ games. Douglas, Bonner and Gray. Claggs, Highmark and Waldman. Hienrich, Baniak and Tatum. TL, KL and IV. Believe many are looking only at our depth of available options (which is greater than it has ever been) as opposed to can we actually get 5 scoring threats on the floor at the same time. If that happens, then RM will have truly achieved something. Then, the next step would be to see if we could keep this going beyond 1 or 2 years. If so, SLU will become relevant again in college basketball.

Believe many are looking only at our depth of available options (which is greater than it has ever been) as opposed to can we actually get 5 scoring threats on the floor at the same time.

While I think you bring up an interesting point about depth vs. scoring options, are you saying that Cassity is not a scoring threat? I think he is very much a "scoring threat," he just shouldn't be the #1 option, which is what he's been forced to become this year.