Turn the Jett's on

HusakAttack

It's not what he was recruited to be that is stopping him from being that guy so many want him to be. It's who he is that is stopping him

Which is exactly my point. Morrison was not recruited to do anything for that team. But he got the opportunity and flourished. Much like Cassity has been given the opportunity this year. I UNDERSTAND that he is a role player, but some people grow out of that role and become a go-to guy for their team, much like Matt Howard this year. I UNDERSTAND that every role player does not make that jump but I was hoping Kyle would this year. That's all I have ever said.

And were you insinuating I know nothing about the game of basketball earlier?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing baseball and basketball is silly. A baseball player is 1 of 9 on the field, a basketball player is one of 5. One great basketball player can easily make a team better. If MM had come in and scored 16ppg we'd have won a few more games this year.

I for one am looking forward to a more experienced, more comfortable, more aggressive McCall next year. A guy who shoots 90 percent from the FT line needs to take many more than 30 plus FT's. And a guy who shoots 42 percent from 3 as a Frosh needs to take many more than 50's plus 3's.

Which is exactly my point. Morrison was not recruited to do anything for that team. But he got the opportunity and flourished. Much like Cassity has been given the opportunity this year. I UNDERSTAND that he is a role player, but some people grow out of that role and become a go-to guy for their team, much like Matt Howard this year. I UNDERSTAND that every role player does not make that jump but I was hoping Kyle would this year. That's all I have ever said.

And were you insinuating I know nothing about the game of basketball earlier?

Have you watched Kyle play the last 2 years? If so and you still thought he could carry this team as a go to guy offensively, than yes, that is what I'm insinuating.

Comparing Adam M isn't nearly the same as Adam has a much better skill set than Kyle regardless of what he was recruited for.

Have you watched Kyle play the last 2 years? If so and you still thought he could carry this team as a go to guy offensively, than yes, that is what I'm insinuating.

Comparing Adam M isn't nearly the same as Adam has a much better skill set than Kyle regardless of what he was recruited for.

And someone who thinks Shimmy is building anything that resembles a basketball program is the all-telling basketball knowledge? This world is more ###### up than I thought.

And someone who thinks Shimmy is building anything that resembles a basketball program is the all-telling basketball knowledge? This world is more ###### up than I thought.

How about some insight on what you thought would help Kyle become that guy you wish he would have become? Was it his exceptional quickness? His superior strength? How about that sick crossover he frequently displays? Seriously, what was it you saw that made you think it was possible?

so we played in a better league had worse players but will end up with same record with this team in a lesser conference with a superior roster. ok.

The 04-05 team was 2-10 BEFORE entering conference play, so the strength of the league is irrelevant. That team was bad with RB and TF before their injuries happened.

I for one am looking forward to a more experienced, more comfortable, more aggressive McCall next year. A guy who shoots 90 percent from the FT line needs to take many more than 30 plus FT's. And a guy who shoots 42 percent from 3 as a Frosh needs to take many more than 50's plus 3's.

I think you saw a glimpse of that tonight from McCall. 5-6 from the FT line (4 of them for tech's) and he took 7 treys, making 2. He scored 17 points with 6 assists and played 35 minutes. Overall, I'd say he looked more aggressive tonight. Hopefully, he continues to build on that.

I think you saw a glimpse of that tonight from McCall. 5-6 from the FT line (4 of them for tech's) and he took 7 treys, making 2. He scored 17 points with 6 assists and played 35 minutes. Overall, I'd say he looked more aggressive tonight. Hopefully, he continues to build on that.

He should have had 20 points and 10 assists. Still a great game.

He should have had 20 points and 10 assists. Still a great game.

Agreed. One trey rolled around the rim before trickling out and numerous assist attempts were wasted on missed shots. He played fantastic tonight. Especially loved the layup against two defenders.

how in the world can you call the player that leads the team in scoring, assists and assists to turnover ratio, and might be the best help defensive guard player the billikens have had since carlos maccauley inconsistent?

-you asked the question, just looking at the numbers, consistent would not include 34 mins at temple with 4 shots and 0 pts and 31 mins vs ole miss with 13 shots and 21 pts or 34 mins at portland with 5 shots and 7 pts or 35 mins vs bgreen with 7 shots and 6 pts or 36 mins vs stj's with 13 shots and 12 pts

-i am not a KC basher, in fact i am damn glad we have him, but like several Bills of the past.... great to have on your team and they will play their guts out for you, but you can't win with 5 of them on the floor but you may need one on the floor to win

-you asked the question, just looking at the numbers, consistent would not include 34 mins at temple with 4 shots and 0 pts and 31 mins vs ole miss with 13 shots and 21 pts or 34 mins at portland with 5 shots and 7 pts or 35 mins vs bgreen with 7 shots and 6 pts or 36 mins vs stj's with 13 shots and 12 pts

-i am not a KC basher, in fact i am damn glad we have him, but like several Bills of the past.... great to have on your team and they will play their guts out for you, but you can't win with 5 of them on the floor but you may need one on the floor to win

+1

I know Mike's a baller. He stopped deferring to the bigger named kids than him at the prep/aau level after a while, and he'll do the same at SLU. He'll create for others, himself, knock down three's and shoot FT's. He understands the game, he works, he's a good teammate, he has the athleticism, and he can shoot it.

Skip. I agree that KC is not, and never will be, a go to guy offensively. To his fan club I say: sorry but I speak the truth. Husakattach. Still waiting for your reply to Skip's question.

On another issue, though, you have repeatedly said that KC was not recruited to be a "go to guy." Yes, but I would say that while RM never thought KC would be our leading scoring, I would say that RM is still shaking his head at KC wondering why he doesn't perform greater than he does.

This is all a little silly to me.

People seem to want KC to go out and be a big-time scorer and take over in late games. Then, when he doesn't, they say he really isn't that good or we need a replacement or what have you. Is there no middle ground?

Kyle is what he is. A guard with average size, average athleticism and below-average strength. I don't know how people want that guy to go out and create his own shot late in the shot-clock or late in games. Kyle is not the sort of player who forces bad shots and we're going to have to live with that. But that doesn't mean he's not a good and valuable player and its dumb to insinuate that it does.

Kyle, in a year where he has played as the team leader, best scorer, best defender doing all of that with a bum ankle, has improved his FG%, 3P%, Assist to TO ratio and Points Per Game. That is unheard of.

Just because you are not a pure scorer doesn't mean you are a "role player" that can be easily replaced. I can't wait to see how KC plays with his teammates back next year.

But Roy, we have many players as hard working as KC. Hard work isn't what makes him a great player, his IQ is.

NH. Again, your definition of what a "great player" is and isn't apparently is very different. In short, to me, a great player must score and cause defenses to play differently when he is on the court and must be consistent. KC does neither. Yesterday, for instance, KC hits his first 3 shots (3 pointers) -- and I hereby give him credit -- but then he scores only 2 points the rest of the game (35 minutes). Sorry, but KC is not great.

how in the world can you call the player that leads the team in scoring, assists and assists to turnover ratio, and might be the best help defensive guard player the billikens have had since carlos maccauley inconsistent?

this whole thread is ridiculous. if kyle cassity is a .5 player, the rest of our team doesnt add up to 2.0.

Roy. Sorry you feel this thread is ridiculous. As you mention, and as I have repeatedly mentioned, KC is not the worst player on this team and KC is not the least productive player either. What KC is, though, is he is our most experienced player (along with BC) having logged significant minutes each of his 3 years. Again, I am not saying that KC needs to win each game for us at the buzzer or that he needs to somehow create his own shots each time down the floor. Instead, third year JRs and good role players need to make a key basket at key times of the games. Even if it only 1 basket per half, making a key basket to stop/prevent a scoring drought is what experienced players do. Because of their experience, they can handle the pressure.

Why KC? Well, we have no SRs and only BC as our other JR. To me, PE doesn't really count. That leaves us with the underperforming Sophs of CE, CR and CS and our Freshmen. Just like I was the last last 2 years (and even most of this year) with KC, I am not going to post negative stuff about our new and young players. They need to mature, grow and develop. We should all give them time. KM was not that good his first 15 games as a Billiken either. KL and TL had good moments and games but they too struggled in their first year of play. Aside, from Larry, I cannot recall any Bill who has been really good from the very beginning. Now if CE is still clanking his 3 pointer next year, I will be the first to say that he doesn't deserve major minutes either.

The topic, though, is next year -- and not this year. At some point, though, I do believe that we need to say "enough is enough." Son, either you produce or we find someone else. To me, having the highest basketball IQ and being a fine passer is not deserving of playing 30 mpg - especially on a team without proven scorers or enough proven scores. Playing 5 against 4.5 is too hard. KM, WR and others are not that good to carry the extra load. Speaking of "glue", basketball IQ and intangibles, has anyone notice our Freshmen: DE has shown these past 6 games that he wants the ball and that he knows what to do with it once he gets its. RL is showing real flashes of being an outstanding big. JJ's athleticism starting to show the promise we all envisioned before the start of the year and MM is showing he will really be something special (he is starting to take charge out there) -- well before KM graduates. Re-read my original posts. KC should be given the job and it is his to lose. But next year, if KC doesn't improve, then 15 minutes is all that will be warranted.

just to keep things in perspective...

[rant]KC is light years ahead of dwayne "double penetration"1 polk. DP averaged 2.5 PPG in 24.7 MPG his senior year and shot an abysmal 45% from FT2. makes me want to gotdamn throw up. KC is scoring 4 times as much with 20-25% more playing time. KC is more than serviceable. we're just going to have to leave the scoring to the MMs and the KMs on the team. can't really ask for more from KC. at least he's not gotdamn dwayne gotdamn polk. that put up 15 gotdamn goose eggs his senior year. ridiculous.[/rant]

1. Double Penetration, as per Wikipedia.

2. Dwayne gotdamn Polk.

I know Mike's a baller. He stopped deferring to the bigger named kids than him at the prep/aau level after a while, and he'll do the same at SLU. He'll create for others, himself, knock down three's and shoot FT's. He understands the game, he works, he's a good teammate, he has the athleticism, and he can shoot it.

So, as Coach Majerus said about McCall, he has the potential to be better than Kwamain Mitchell (because of his better jumpshot), and just as Mitchell stepped up and took over the team towards the end of his freshman season, we may be seeing McCall do something similar this season.

How about some insight on what you thought would help Kyle become that guy you wish he would have become? Was it his exceptional quickness? His superior strength? How about that sick crossover he frequently displays? Seriously, what was it you saw that made you think it was possible?

2 reasons: 1) his transformation from a complete waste offensively as a freshmen to someone who was a threat in his sophomore year. 2) he was thrown into a position where for this team to be successful, the offense has to be driven by him as the only upperclassmen guard with substantial playing experience.

Jimbo and Absurd are right on target. Our youngsters, including our Sophs and JRs are ahead of most - not all - prior Billikens.

As to the Freshmen, still alot of the season left. Without putting too much pressure on MM, it is a fact that Marquis Perry and Kwamain Mitchell did not really to score until the end of their freshman year. An occasional basket, limited turnovers but solid in running the offense was the only thing expected of him. Now, MM and JJ are starting to really figure things out, look much more comfortable with respect to the speed of the game and show flashes and moments that they could each be really special.

DE appears to be ahead of former guys like Sloan (good D but not much scoring his freshman year).

RL is light years ahead of IV in his Freshman year who sure looked like a long-term project/bust as well as Chris Heinrich who really didn't do much until his Jr year.

In short, the future looks bright as KM is, and Perry, Sloan, IV and Heinrich were some of our better players.

2 reasons: 1) his transformation from a complete waste offensively as a freshmen to someone who was a threat in his sophomore year. 2) he was thrown into a position where for this team to be successful, the offense has to be driven by him as the only upperclassmen guard with substantial playing experience.

Now you're being way to hard on KC. No freshman should be labeled a "complete waste offensively". KC had great form on his shoot, good floor vision, a high basketball IQ and was a good passer his freshman year. He was an April signing and not supposed to step in an be some offensive threat his freshman year. Did he develop into a real contributor his second, and now again, his third year? Sure. He's come along way and is w/o much help this year but none of this indicates that KC will ever develop into the go to guy on offense.

Our freshman have made quicker improvments and have more potential. Extra time in the weight room would have really helped KC. Now, it' becoming too late and his minutes will decrease next year.

So, as Coach Majerus said about McCall, he has the potential to be better than Kwamain Mitchell (because of his better jumpshot), and just as Mitchell stepped up and took over the team towards the end of his freshman season, we may be seeing McCall do something similar this season.

Porter mentioned in the postgame show that they are giving McCall a lot more freedom and responsibility on the offensive end. We seemed to push the tempo more then usual against UMass mainly because of McCall. Hopefully he will take the new freedom and responsibility and run with it like he did Wednesday night.

I didn't watch the game live, but got up at 5 am for a workout and flipped on Comcast NE (New England) and they were re-airing the game. I've not seen a more pure jump shot release than the trigger Mike McCall has. I am excited to be a Billiken fan. The kid is still a tad raw, but he has a stroke that we haven't seen since Billy Squier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHc-yIAPbg

Porter mentioned in the postgame show that they are giving McCall a lot more freedom and responsibility on the offensive end. We seemed to push the tempo more then usual against UMass mainly because of McCall. Hopefully he will take the new freedom and responsibility and run with it like he did Wednesday night.

That's the smart way to do it. You bring in a young run and gunner from Chicago, give him the keys immediately, he's going to pull a Ruben Cotto when you inevitably have to reign him back in. Now that he knows the system, is comfortable in it, let him bring some of his speed and flair out and take things to another level. McCall is going to be special.

McCall's defense has really improved and he is getting better at setting up teammates. He's got a nice looking shot. KM and MM in the same backcourt will be hard to handle. I think MM is even a little quicker than KM. A little added strength in the offseason, then look out.

McCall's defense has really improved and he is getting better at setting up teammates. He's got a nice looking shot. KM and MM in the same backcourt will be hard to handle. I think MM is even a little quicker than KM. A little added strength in the offseason, then look out.

He could certainly use a little more muscle. His biggest weakness offensively is finishing at the basket, while defensively he has some trouble with bigger guards. A combination of KM and MM is going to be fun to watch.