Good Team Win

Basketbill

Yes it was Fordham but it was on the road.... Balanced scoring, with Participation from everyone who played.

Key basket by Loe and Ellis to retake and establish a lead. Very good second half by KC, Evans seemed to be at the line all night. Foul trouble could have been A huge issue but the depth of the bench.

Key aspect to the win was KC taking over at point after MM got his fourth foul and JJ flailed in his replacement of him. JJ rebounds, plays good D, gets steals, but has way to many turnovers . I think JJ contributes more when he is not at the point as well.

Yes it was Fordham but it was on the road.... Balanced scoring, with Participation from everyone who played.

Key basket by Loe and Ellis to retake and establish a lead. Very good second half by KC, Evans seemed to be at the line all night. Foul trouble could have been A huge issue but the depth of the bench.

Key aspect to the win was KC taking over at point after MM got his fourth foul and JJ flailed in his replacement of him. JJ rebounds, plays good D, gets steals, but has way to many turnovers . I think JJ contributes more when he is not at the point as well.

I do think you're right in that McCall will end up primarily as a point guard, while Jett will play the two. However, he's going to need to improve his outside shooting to be really valuable from that spot.

I also agreed with your comment about the depth of the team. That's what makes next year so exciting to me. If we really get Willie back, then we'll have 12 guys (not counting Eckerle and Manning) who have started a significant number of games (10+) at the DI level. That's pretty impressive. I'm pretty confident there won't be another team with that level of starting experience. Our practices should be extremely competitive and Rick will have multiple options during games. As painful as this season has been, we may be saying next March that our team is much better because McCall, Jett, Loe and Evans were tested as freshman and really grew up as players. I maintain that we'll be a tournament team next year and will be a real threat to crack the Top 25 (assuming we have no significant transfers and Willie is eligible).

Agreed. Good team win. And even more importantly, the team had a lead, blew it and then came together to close it out. Now the next step is to not blow the lead! Playing great defense lately, but that shooting % has to get better. Not going to win many games shoot in the low 30's.

I agree with every thing you say except the ended up shooting 46% from the field. That can be improved but its not awful.

They also shot 45% from 3. (9-20) That is a number I can live with.

The FT shooting, now that is a different story all together.

I do think you're right in that McCall will end up primarily as a point guard, while Jett will play the two. However, he's going to need to improve his outside shooting to be really valuable from that spot.

I also agreed with your comment about the depth of the team. That's what makes next year so exciting to me. If we really get Willie back, then we'll have 12 guys (not counting Eckerle and Manning) who have started a significant number of games (10+) at the DI level. That's pretty impressive. I'm pretty confident there won't be another team with that level of starting experience. Our practices should be extremely competitive and Rick will have multiple options during games. As painful as this season has been, we may be saying next March that our team is much better because McCall, Jett, Loe and Evans were tested as freshman and really grew up as players. I maintain that we'll be a tournament team next year and will be a real threat to crack the Top 25 (assuming we have no significant transfers and Willie is eligible).

PE just got accepted to Med school - no way he will be playing next year. Manning and whoever else they sign - PM said that there was one more signing this Spring - will be freshmen and hopefully they can be eased in as such.

I agree with every thing you say except the ended up shooting 46% from the field. That can be improved but its not awful.

45% from the field and the 3pt line is outstanding - what more can you expect? 67% from the FT line is at best borderline so I agree with you there.

I totally agree about JJ being a turn over machine - he has to get better with protecting the ball.

My mistake. I forgot they were only shooting that % until about midway through the 2nd half. Then they started to click. I am still appalled at the inability to make high percentage shots (i.e. layups and FT's). This makes the team much more susceptable of living and dying by the 3.

It still concerns me that we can't put a full game together. We still had a 6-8 minute stagnant drought that allowed them to get back in the game...Other than that, I think we played well...

The problem is we don't have that guard that can create opportunities when the offense breaks down. Kwamain is that guard.

The problem is we don't have that guard that can create opportunities when the offense breaks down. Kwamain is that guard.

Another problem, at least last night, was foul trouble. McCall sat for long periods of time and he may be one of our best playmakers.

Chalk it up ... on-the-job learning year.

I can see Conklin maybe learning how to better play the interior, Cassity finding out what it means to be a go-to guy, McCall the college point game, JJ the same (can't seem t play it right now and has no future as a shooting guard), Evans some serious OJT, same with Loe. Ellis finding some more intricacies of the US game and being better for it. And Salescich maybe finding a confidence factor as well. Remekun will suffer because he has to have Willie there to spell and focus on his improvmeent areas and I don't see him doing that right now.

Add the other two back and the future look sbright, even if we had to suffer a one-year interruption. Of course, that assumes we see Reed accomplish what he has to in this second probation. I don't know if that will happen. If it doesn't, I think next year will be only slightly better than this with still no anchor on the back endline.

A bright note last night was the scoring from the two Aussies from the Land Down Under- 19 points between them, 5-7 on 3 pointers. And SLU received 25 points from the two from the Land of Lincoln (Cassity and Evans).

A poster at www.fordhamfans.com noted that Coach Majerus arose from his seat and worked the refs after they had called so many fouls on SLU that Fordham was in the double bonus fairly early in the second half and after an especially bad call (probably the one that Bob Ramsey described). After that the foul situation became better for SLU. SLU went on a nice 12-0 run in the 3rd quadrant of the second half to take control of the game.

Whoever decided to put this game at the Izod Center, as opposed to Rose Hill Gym, did SLU a favor.

A poster at www.fordhamfans.com noted that Coach Majerus arose from his seat and worked the refs after they had called so many fouls on SLU that Fordham was in the double bonus fairly early in the second half and after an especially bad call (probably the one that Bob Ramsey described). After that the foul situation became better for SLU. SLU went on a nice 12-0 run in the 3rd quadrant of the second half to take control of the game.

-i am not a fan of this "working the refs" crap, i wish the ncaa would direct the refs to not take their abuse, and then what is worse is the refs reacting to being "worked" and some of the commentators saying how great coach x or y is at working the refs

PE just got accepted to Med school - no way he will be playing next year. Manning and whoever else they sign - PM said that there was one more signing this Spring - will be freshmen and hopefully they can be eased in as such.

If SLU signs anyone this spring, they'll be over the scholarship limit and one of the following would have to go:

• Kyle Cassity - 3 letters
  • Brian Conklin - 3
  • Kwamain Mitchell - 2
  • Willie Reed - 2
  • Cody Ellis - 2
  • Cory Remekun - 2
  • Christian Salecich - 2
  • Jake Barnett - 1 (from Toledo)
  • Dwayne Evans - 1
  • Jordair Jett - 1
  • Mike McCall - 1
  • Rob Loe - 1
  • John Manning - recruit

<puts on flak jacket>

Flak jacket on .....

The roster noted by Absurd, while correct at the moment, assumes concrete stability. Again --- THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED IN MAJERUS' SLU HISTORY (caps for emphasis). It assumes Reed meeting his current stipulations for roster reinstatement. It assumes Eckerle moving on to medical school. It takes into no account the potential of Conklin and/or Cassity graduating early (I could see Conklin doing something, Cassity hanging around) as someone else has mentioned. It takes into no account one or two transfers, which I believe will happen.

The chickens on this roster have yet to fully hatch. I am all for watching the kids develop for now but assuming the roster remains as is current is foolish. Also, I could be wrong and then you can call me foolish. We shall see. (I still see two prime candidates on this listing for transfer and am holding that speculation in my pocket.)

Flak jacket on .....

The roster noted by Absurd, while correct at the moment, assumes concrete stability. Again --- THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED IN MAJERUS' SLU HISTORY (caps for emphasis). It assumes Reed meeting his current stipulations for roster reinstatement. It assumes Eckerle moving on to medical school. It takes into no account the potential of Conklin and/or Cassity graduating early (I could see Conklin doing something, Cassity hanging around) as someone else has mentioned. It takes into no account one or two transfers, which I believe will happen.

The chickens on this roster have yet to fully hatch. I am all for watching the kids develop for now but assuming the roster remains as is current is foolish. Also, I could be wrong and then you can call me foolish. We shall see. (I still see two prime candidates on this listing for transfer and am holding that speculation in my pocket.)

Why would Conklin or Cassity want to graduate early? I am curious.