No Direction

There is totally NO direction from our Billikens. From the coaching staff too the players, just nothing. It is just crap! Has this team become totally focussed on defense that scoring has become obsolete. Our best free throw shooter got too the line -ZERO. 37% from the field, 41.7% from the FREE throw line, again just crap. As dedicated Billiken fans, we could always find something too hang a hat on even throogh the lean years, but this team just sucks. No direction, and Triangle believes it comes from the coaching staff - if players don't do EXACTLY coaching defensive things they will lose (it has been imbedded in their minds) - no imagination, no creativity on offense. Our players are so worried about playing defense, because of coaching, it has directly influenced their thinking on offense (turnovers) and missed shots. 37% FG - 41.7 FT% - Let us pray.

so it goes.

There is totally NO direction from our Billikens. From the coaching staff too the players, just nothing. It is just crap! Has this team become totally focussed on defense that scoring has become obsolete. Our best free throw shooter got too the line -ZERO. 37% from the field, 41.7% from the FREE throw line, again just crap. As dedicated Billiken fans, we could always find something too hang a hat on even throogh the lean years, but this team just sucks. No direction, and Triangle believes it comes from the coaching staff - if players don't do EXACTLY coaching defensive things they will lose (it has been imbedded in their minds) - no imagination, no creativity on offense. Our players are so worried about playing defense, because of coaching, it has directly influenced their thinking on offense (turnovers) and missed shots. 37% FG - 41.7 FT% - Let us pray.

so it goes.

I am with ya too. Last time I checked, the goal was to score more than your opponent. Maybe we can shut St. Joe's out. Hold them to a goose egg. Then our free throw percentage would look a little better. WE attempted only 3 shots from the field in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half. It took us 10 minutes to make a field goal in the second half. Pitiful!!!!!!

Thanks BBall Fan. Triangle just can't believe at this point in the season that the shooting on our Billikens is that bad except for bad coaching and causing offensive "stress" by over emphasizing the defensive angles. Triangle, a long time ago, got intoo trouble on this board for calling for a coach too be fired - it is not at this point yet - but. The loss of our 2 best offensive players was extremely hurtfull, but that cannot be used as an excuse for the sorry excuse of our players' shooting percentages.

so it goes.

Thanks BBall Fan. Triangle just can't believe at this point in the season that the shooting on our Billikens is that bad except for bad coaching and causing offensive "stress" by over emphasizing the defensive angles. Triangle, a long time ago, got intoo trouble on this board for calling for a coach too be fired - it is not at this point yet - but. The loss of our 2 best offensive players was extremely hurtfull, but that cannot be used as an excuse for the sorry excuse of our players' shooting percentages.

so it goes.

I do not really see it as a coaching issue. I truely think that RM has done his best to try and put the current players in the best position for them to succeed. The unfortunate part is that they have floundered in the execution to this point. BC has a tough time making layups and has since his freshman year. We missed 10+ layups tonight and turned it over 20 times. KC would rather pass the ball to a freshman with 5 on the shot clock than take the shot himself. It has been a number of things. I do not think coach is blame free. I feel some of his hardline playing time practices has also hurt the flow and athleticism at times but I am not an insider so I do not know what happens on nongame days. Losing your 2 best players is catastrophic at a midmajor program that Dean Smith could not have recovered from. The shooting percentages are close to what they were last year with our returning players. Those percentages were hidden last year with KM controling games late and willie shooting a high percentage from the floor (ie dunks and layups). Our freethrow percentage has been awful since KL graduated. All weakness is exposed when role players and freshmen are thrown into the fire and expected to carry much more responsibility than they are ready for or can handle.

I do not really see it as a coaching issue. I truely think that RM has done his best to try and put the current players in the best position for them to succeed. The unfortunate part is that they have floundered in the execution to this point. BC has a tough time making layups and has since his freshman year. We missed 10+ layups tonight and turned it over 20 times. KC would rather pass the ball to a freshman with 5 on the shot clock than take the shot himself. It has been a number of things. I do not think coach is blame free. I feel some of his hardline playing time practices has also hurt the flow and athleticism at times but I am not an insider so I do not know what happens on nongame days. Losing your 2 best players is catastrophic at a midmajor program that Dean Smith could not have recovered from. The shooting percentages are close to what they were last year with our returning players. Those percentages were hidden last year with KM controling games late and willie shooting a high percentage from the floor (ie dunks and layups). Our freethrow percentage has been awful since KL graduated. All weakness is exposed when role players and freshmen are thrown into the fire and expected to carry much more responsibility than they are ready for or can handle.

good post

criticism is constructive and accurate: we need at least two different "go to" players each game so defense tapes used by opponents coaches don't shut us down.

After 15 minutes of this last ball game Dukees quieted us-I would have used full time outs and sent in fresh legs or junkyard dogs.

What does a coach do if no one will shoot=these kids are too polite and boring-some of Conklin's misses have to do with getting hacked and no referee calls in this last game;

Conklin is usually pretty good at the line for a big. Loe on the other hand needs to compose himself after getting fouled' he shoots too soon after the ref gives him the ball or something

we all know Loe is better than the one of four effort at one point in the game where three extra points might have perked us up or at least stopped some of the fouling- this team

especially Ellis does bot respond well in a physical game

so it goes.

I agree but the guys look scared and hesitant to me on the offensive end. Can that be coached out of them? I guess so, but Porter has said on numerous post game shows that they are struggling to get the guys to play to win instead of playing to not lose. That totally looked the case in the second half last night. It's got to be a confidence thing. Not sure what else it could be.

I thought we moved the ball well at Temple and was pleasantly surprised but then got scared. For whatever reason, we played scared of Duq and that was a team we matched up well with. Not sure what is going on.

We can't shoot and yet the "talent level" is so high. How can that be? I asked the question last year and i will ask it again when the season begins anew NEXT year --- who on this team will shoot? Maybe its different with Km and WR in there, easin gthe so-called pressure on CE, RL, KC, MM and others. Is that the hope?

Here's another hope --- that this debacle of a season doesn't have long-range effects on collective team psychology.

Its got to be miserable to be a part of this team. The school bailed on them, taking their two prime time players away.

Their coach is sitting out, which they probably wonder if its truly necessary or shouldn't he tough it out like they're expected to do. Maybe he's given up on them? Then they have players that want to take it on themselves and pull them through, but aren't capable of doing it themselves.

This will either be a big bonding experience teaching them to pull together as a team or a disaster causing some of them to coast the rest of the season and some to bail.

The problems at SLU are higher up than the basketball coach or, even the AD (who really is just the go-between for Fr. Biondi and RM).

Bernie Miklasz made an interesting point on his daily radio show, last week. He stated that SLU is a "coach-killer." He likened it to pushing a boulder up a hill, and when the stone reaches the summit, the "man at the top" shoves it back down the hill, rolling over everyone in its way. He complimented Fr. Biondi for greatly improving SLU academically, but the support for the athletic department just wasn't a priority. Dr. Chaifetz came along, but the newness of the building is surely wearing off; anyone who wanted to see it, has now done so.

SLU is at a crossroads; relevance in the St. Louis sports community is certainly at stake. Marketing next year's season tickets to the casual fan will be a daunting challenge. And, the hard-core fans just are getting older...and older...and older. Eventually, they will need to be replaced by those who are two generations younger.

Right now, this program is viewed as border-line Division I; that has to change, or the future isn't bright.

The problems at SLU are higher up than the basketball coach or, even the AD (who really is just the go-between for Fr. Biondi and RM).

Bernie Miklasz made an interesting point on his daily radio show, last week. He stated that SLU is a "coach-killer." He likened it to pushing a boulder up a hill, and when the stone reaches the summit, the "man at the top" shoves it back down the hill, rolling over everyone in its way. He complimented Fr. Biondi for greatly improving SLU academically, but the support for the athletic department just wasn't a priority. Dr. Chaifetz came along, but the newness of the building is surely wearing off; anyone who wanted to see it, has now done so.

SLU is at a crossroads; relevance in the St. Louis sports community is certainly at stake. Marketing next year's season tickets to the casual fan will be a daunting challenge. And, the hard-core fans just are getting older...and older...and older. Eventually, they will need to be replaced by those who are two generations younger.

Right now, this program is viewed as border-line Division I; that has to change, or the future isn't bright.

This program has to make the tourney next year.

in my opinion, the real question that everyone is dancing around afraid to ask or comment, is rickma a fit for saint louis university? it takes a special coach to be able to succeed at slu, and initially i liked the immediate changes that resulted from majerus demands to take the job. that said, some of those changes have already been reneged on and i wonder if some of that was the cause of our coach not living up to some of the non court responsibilities that most coaches are asked to shoulder.

no one can argue that rickma is the best ambassador for the university. rarely speaks or appears in public, when he does it seems to often turn into a rambling trainwreck, wont do a radio show, wont open practices to the boosters or the media, will only speak to certain members of the media, underground stories of his "events" with players, boosters, businesses, managers, etc are legendary. who knows what that does to the self confidence and mental approach to the team and program by everyone concerned.

ok, go ahead. pile on. but even then, you know i have a point. while we all recognize and agree that losing mitchell and reed was devastating, what we all should also recognize is that it also exposed that what we thought we had for a roster is not anymore than what we have had in about two decades. wasnt that rickma's biggest thing? he had to clear house and bring in his players? well he sure has cleared house. annually he clears house. result: as taj has been saying, same ole same ole.

+1000

I used to bristle at these comments but this year has caused me to take off the billiken blue glasses. I think it is pretty accurate.

As to Roy's point, it takes a "special" person to succeed at SLU because the Administration isn't serious about having a winning program. I define winning as regular (not every year) appearances in NCAA and occasional runs. Think Butler, Xavier, Gonzaga or SIU's run or what Creigton used to be.

Bernie is right, SLU teams are mostly doomed to mediocrity, or worse.

Remember the '70's, the exciting, nationally ranked SLU hockey program, we brought in Ohio State and other great programs, beat them, had higher attendance per game than The Blues at The Arena? And SLU didn't have to pay salaries. But The Jesuits cut the program after 6 years for financial considerations.

Our problem is that OUR Jesuits do not really care that much about athletics, only token, for appearance sake. Last 40 years, there has never been enough funds allocated for athletics, even basketball, the only real revenue sport.

To boot, we are in the wrong conference, we offer no "football-player-degrees" but our competitors do... lets not go into that, though.

Majerus was our only hope, I never cared that he does not suck up to the local media, or the Billiken boosters. Or that he was a liberal Democrat. He recruits, develops, teaches and coaches players better than anyone else could have in SLU's world. Now with "the WR-KM situation" and RM's health, I think the huge opportunity we had with Majerus might be over.

in my opinion, the real question that everyone is dancing around afraid to ask or comment, is rickma a fit for saint louis university? it takes a special coach to be able to succeed at slu, and initially i liked the immediate changes that resulted from majerus demands to take the job. that said, some of those changes have already been reneged on and i wonder if some of that was the cause of our coach not living up to some of the non court responsibilities that most coaches are asked to shoulder.

no one can argue that rickma is the best ambassador for the university. rarely speaks or appears in public, when he does it seems to often turn into a rambling trainwreck, wont do a radio show, wont open practices to the boosters or the media, will only speak to certain members of the media, underground stories of his "events" with players, boosters, businesses, managers, etc are legendary. who knows what that does to the self confidence and mental approach to the team and program by everyone concerned.

ok, go ahead. pile on. but even then, you know i have a point. while we all recognize and agree that losing mitchell and reed was devastating, what we all should also recognize is that it also exposed that what we thought we had for a roster is not anymore than what we have had in about two decades. wasnt that rickma's biggest thing? he had to clear house and bring in his players? well he sure has cleared house. annually he clears house. result: as taj has been saying, same ole same ole.

I truly believe that the way this season began, taking Mitchell and Reed away, was a traumatic blow for the team, the coaches, the fans. At the end of last season, look how psyched we were with the team's progress and future. All of us knew targeted an NCAA berth. Majerus finally had most of the pieces assembled and then it all came tumbling down. Imagine if the role of Loe would be to create mismatches outside - and he could play more as he did vs Georgia. You name me a team that could survive with the loss of their two top scorers, which also happen to be the PG and Center.

Can the team and all of us hang in there until next year? I will stay as long as Majerus stays. This team has to rely on too many freshman - and no one has emerged as a team leader. That position is held by Kwamain. This season is lost - let's get players focused on learning the system, minimizing mistakes, and let's sneak in a few wins. Majerus has his first losing season but let's take names and make next season payback time.

Regardless of Willie and Kwamain's alleged re-instatement to the program, the way this was handled by Biondi, May, the Judicial Board, etc. screams that indeed, there is no direction. There's no direction from the top and that's what is so hard to swallow.

I still believe that there needs to be an across the board freeze in alumni donations until we return to a winning basketball program. If you are contacted by SLU via phone or e-mail, you need to tell them verbatim:

Due to the egregious behavior of Father Lawrence Biondi, SJ, President of Saint Louis University, Athletic Director Chris May and the Judicial Board of Saint Louis University in handling the situation involving two exceptional student-athletes, all monetary donations made in my name will cease until further notice. Thank you.

I truly believe that the way this season began, taking Mitchell and Reed away, was a traumatic blow for the team, the coaches, the fans. At the end of last season, look how psyched we were with the team's progress and future. All of us knew targeted an NCAA berth. Majerus finally had most of the pieces assembled and then it all came tumbling down. Imagine if the role of Loe would be to create mismatches outside - and he could play more as he did vs Georgia. You name me a team that could survive with the loss of their two top scorers, which also happen to be the PG and Center.

Can the team and all of us hang in there until next year? I will stay as long as Majerus stays. This team has to rely on too many freshman - and no one has emerged as a team leader. That position is held by Kwamain. This season is lost - let's get players focused on learning the system, minimizing mistakes, and let's sneak in a few wins. Majerus has his first losing season but let's take names and make next season payback time.

I agree. I dont think its as dire as some think, although this season truly does blow and is really testing my patience and commitment to SLU basketball If Rick comes back next year we will have a good shot to make a run at the top 3 spots in the A-10 and be in the discussion of the NCAA tournament. The players and coaches just need to hang in there this year and take the ass kickings and learn from it and get better.

My problem with the way things are is that Rick didn't have a chance against the Judicial Board. If this is UNLV or any other school who cares about winning over public image, you and I both know that case never sees the light of day. Winning is the only reason you put a program out there. I know you don't feel that way, but this season is more embarrassing than anything players do off the court. Do I want well-behaved players? Sure, but I want wins more.

My problem with the way things are is that Rick didn't have a chance against the Judicial Board. If this is UNLV or any other school who cares about winning over public image, you and I both know that case never sees the light of day. Winning is the only reason you put a program out there. I know you don't feel that way, but this season is more embarrassing than anything players do off the court. Do I want well-behaved players? Sure, but I want wins more.

That is an outstanding post.

Hell, I wouldn't think twice about sacrificing integrity in the court of public opinion for wins on a basketball court. That all fades away. Wins and loses are permanent.

Do I want well-behaved players? Sure, but I want wins more.

Therein lies the problem. With Biondi and other SLU higher ups wanting to be the "finest catholic university in the United states", they HAD to do something with the situation to send a message saying "as a catholic university, this type of behavior will not be tolerated on campus, period," or so it seems.

The "finest catholic university" tag doesn't necessarily call for a winning basketball team. Unfortunately, I don't think the higher ups realize the obvious connection between a winning sports program and recruitment, which leads to higher enrollment, which leads to more money to fund academic departments, MARKETING EFFORTS (which many others have touched on), etc.

It's a vicious cycle to watch, especially from the outside. I really feel terrible for Rickma, and part of me hopes KM doesn't redshirt, if for no other reason than to try to keep RM from having his first losing season. SLU might be ending Rick's career, and I would hate for SLU to have that scarlet letter.

I agree. I dont think its as dire as some think, although this season truly does blow and is really testing my patience and commitment to SLU basketball If Rick comes back next year we will have a good shot to make a run at the top 3 spots in the A-10 and be in the discussion of the NCAA tournament. The players and coaches just need to hang in there this year and take the ass kickings and learn from it and get better.

Im with you. This season is all types of frustrating but like it or not it is once again a really young team.

I try to think back to Clagget and Highmarks first year. That team won 5 game when they were freshman and that team turned out pretty darn good.

This team already has 5 wins. With the hopeful return of Reed and with Mitchel and Barnet playing next year this team will have three "recruits" that would of started right away on those early 90's NCAA teams.

The Bills are going to take some serious lumps this year but hopefully will come back with more experince and confidence next year and take the college basketball worl and the city of St louis by storm.

I wouldnt give up next years tickets yet becasue I still really believe, if this team main pieces all come back, that next year SLU basketball tickets will become a hot item.

Therein lies the problem. With Biondi and other SLU higher ups wanting to be the "finest catholic university in the United states", they HAD to do something with the situation to send a message saying "as a catholic university, this type of behavior will not be tolerated on campus, period," or so it seems.

If that was the goal of SLU, it failed miserably. The public at large and many students think that KM and WR got a pass.

Georgetown, Boston College, Marquette and Notre Dame (and there are many others) are all catholic but winning. Until the Administration/faculty stop treating the AD and athletics as they did in the late 70s and 80s, it will never be a "winning program."

Mr. Metzinger --- you are wrong. There is direction in this University, just not in the direction you might believe it should be.

Athletics has never MATTERED to this institution ---- West Pine Gym's existence will stand in lonely testament to that. When I played baseball, we used to climb up to an upper floor in the warehouse that occupied the SW corner of Grand and Laclede to feed a jugs machine (where did that cime from!?!) to hit baseballs during the cold winter months or even the colder spring months. We drove out to Forest Park to find a field dry enough to run on --- baseball spikes of the metal variety, y'know. We had/have a swim team --- then and now. Really? The only time I used the pool was to hit on the lifegurad (ooooohhhhh, Sharon H. fond, fond memories) or dump the TKE frat bell in the deep end. One of my friends was on the track team. Didn't ever see one but heard it was there. He had a scholarship. I don't think the woman's field hockey team won a game in my four years --- ever. And I announced the last season of Billiken hockey before Dick McDonald sold it and Bill Selman and a freshman center named Mike Krushylnyski down the drain. He only ended up playing with the Great One in Edmonton.

The gravy train on athletics has long passed Grand and Lindell by. If we had visionaries in place that could even copy a blueprint for success, our Jesuit brethern in Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova and Boston College would have surely allowed us a peak at their cheat sheets. It takes a buck to make a buck and some derring-do, guts and a little luck. Rome wasn't built in a day ---- I know ---- but some progress was made in 35 years, which is the length of my tenure with this institution.

I want Majerus to finish what he started because there is proof in that pudding --- proof that this school is a graveyard for coaches --- even HOFers like this one. I was stunned when he agreed to take the program, it was as drastic a move that was needed. Biondi told me personally in Cincinnati ten years earlier we were going to "be top 50." Sure. Right.

I do not believe we need to sacrifice integrity for winning athletics. But we do need to maybe sacrifice some crappy, expensive pieces of what some would call art for a total commitment to doing it and doing it right. You do it right, and there is a piece of a huge pot of gold at the end of that rainbow ---- its called television payouts and such. You want art, then you got money.

I know Charlie Brown is going to kick Lucy's football. I just know it.

The gravy train on athletics has long passed Grand and Lindell by. If we had visionaries in place that could even copy a blueprint for success, our Jesuit brethern in Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova and Boston College would have surely allowed us a peak at their cheat sheets. It takes a buck to make a buck and some derring-do, guts and a little luck. Rome wasn't built in a day ---- I know ---- but some progress was made in 35 years, which is the length of my tenure with this institution.

You forgot Xavier and Gonzaga...There is NO reason (other than the ones you mentioned) why we shouldn't be on par with these schools...