No Direction

in my opinion, the real question that everyone is dancing around afraid to ask or comment, is rickma a fit for saint louis university? it takes a special coach to be able to succeed at slu, and initially i liked the immediate changes that resulted from majerus demands to take the job. that said, some of those changes have already been reneged on and i wonder if some of that was the cause of our coach not living up to some of the non court responsibilities that most coaches are asked to shoulder.

no one can argue that rickma is the best ambassador for the university. rarely speaks or appears in public, when he does it seems to often turn into a rambling trainwreck, wont do a radio show, wont open practices to the boosters or the media, will only speak to certain members of the media, underground stories of his "events" with players, boosters, businesses, managers, etc are legendary. who knows what that does to the self confidence and mental approach to the team and program by everyone concerned.

ok, go ahead. pile on. but even then, you know i have a point. while we all recognize and agree that losing mitchell and reed was devastating, what we all should also recognize is that it also exposed that what we thought we had for a roster is not anymore than what we have had in about two decades. wasnt that rickma's biggest thing? he had to clear house and bring in his players? well he sure has cleared house. annually he clears house. result: as taj has been saying, same ole same ole.

Did you feel this way about RM last year and if KM and WR were playing and the team was 13-3 would you feel the same way? I would say not even close.

Did you feel this way about RM last year and if KM and WR were playing and the team was 13-3 would you feel the same way? I would say not even close.

you must be new to the board.

If Biondi were to retire and be replaced by someone like Fr. Graham at Xavier, I would have a little hope for the future of SLU athletics.

Something tells me that f-er (not from Minnesota) is still going to be here for the university's bicentennial in 2018.

My problem with the way things are is that Rick didn't have a chance against the Judicial Board. If this is UNLV or any other school who cares about winning over public image, you and I both know that case never sees the light of day. Winning is the only reason you put a program out there. I know you don't feel that way, but this season is more embarrassing than anything players do off the court. Do I want well-behaved players? Sure, but I want wins more.

Guys. The Judicial Board, a/k/a Kangaroo Court, is not to blame. Their recommendation apparently followed the student handbook rules and, in fact, did not become reality. They made their ruling, correct me if I am wrong, in a more timely manor -- around Memorial Day. It was Fr. Biondi who let this matter go to them in the first place and then who stuck his head in the sand -- until the night before the team's first day of practice in mid-October -- before announcing HIS decision -- the appeal of the Kangaroo Court decision. Make no mistake, this is ALL Fr. Biondi. This is the same Fr. Biondi who strung Brad along, who hired RM too late in the Spring to get a single recruit to the school (first wasted year) while embarrassing homegrown Cheryl Levick while ignoring chain of command and our AD. Remember that awful press conference in which Fr. Biondi emerged after weeks of no comment. Fr. Biondi got RM signed and on board but the process was way too late for the good of the program, was too embarrasing to the program and school and we all know there was NO "Plan B." Then, the unexplained withdrawal of the chartered flights, reversal of promises, feuds with RM ... long before The Situation. No, this is all Fr. Biondi.

Mr. Metzinger --- you are wrong. There is direction in this University, just not in the direction you might believe it should be.

Athletics has never MATTERED to this institution ---- West Pine Gym's existence will stand in lonely testament to that. When I played baseball, we used to climb up to an upper floor in the warehouse that occupied the SW corner of Grand and Laclede to feed a jugs machine (where did that cime from!?!) to hit baseballs during the cold winter months or even the colder spring months. We drove out to Forest Park to find a field dry enough to run on --- baseball spikes of the metal variety, y'know. We had/have a swim team --- then and now. Really? The only time I used the pool was to hit on the lifegurad (ooooohhhhh, Sharon H. fond, fond memories) or dump the TKE frat bell in the deep end. One of my friends was on the track team. Didn't ever see one but heard it was there. He had a scholarship. I don't think the woman's field hockey team won a game in my four years --- ever. And I announced the last season of Billiken hockey before Dick McDonald sold it and Bill Selman and a freshman center named Mike Krushylnyski down the drain. He only ended up playing with the Great One in Edmonton.

The gravy train on athletics has long passed Grand and Lindell by. If we had visionaries in place that could even copy a blueprint for success, our Jesuit brethern in Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova and Boston College would have surely allowed us a peak at their cheat sheets. It takes a buck to make a buck and some derring-do, guts and a little luck. Rome wasn't built in a day ---- I know ---- but some progress was made in 35 years, which is the length of my tenure with this institution.

I want Majerus to finish what he started because there is proof in that pudding --- proof that this school is a graveyard for coaches --- even HOFers like this one. I was stunned when he agreed to take the program, it was as drastic a move that was needed. Biondi told me personally in Cincinnati ten years earlier we were going to "be top 50." Sure. Right.

I do not believe we need to sacrifice integrity for winning athletics. But we do need to maybe sacrifice some crappy, expensive pieces of what some would call art for a total commitment to doing it and doing it right. You do it right, and there is a piece of a huge pot of gold at the end of that rainbow ---- its called television payouts and such. You want art, then you got money.

I know Charlie Brown is going to kick Lucy's football. I just know it.

Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head.

I try to think back to Clagget and Highmarks first year. That team won 5 game when they were freshman and that team turned out pretty darn good.

Yes, but Claggett and Highmark won only 12 games their second year -- that's 17 wins over 2 years!! The winning did not happen until their JR years with the addition of H Waldman as well as Donnie Campbell and David Robinson. All 5 were Juniors and played together for 2 years. Next year, WR and KM will be 4th year Juniors. KC and BC Seniors. CE will be a Junior. JB will be third year Soph and our 4 Frosh will all be Sophs with a full year year of playing under their belts. Not ready to say "Loaded" but the inexperienced, youngest team in NCAA excuse, Frosh and Sophs v. upperclassmen, no Seniors, etc excuses will be gone.

Mr. Metzinger --- you are wrong. There is direction in this University, just not in the direction you might believe it should be.

Athletics has never MATTERED to this institution ---- West Pine Gym's existence will stand in lonely testament to that. When I played baseball, we used to climb up to an upper floor in the warehouse that occupied the SW corner of Grand and Laclede to feed a jugs machine (where did that cime from!?!) to hit baseballs during the cold winter months or even the colder spring months. We drove out to Forest Park to find a field dry enough to run on --- baseball spikes of the metal variety, y'know. We had/have a swim team --- then and now. Really? The only time I used the pool was to hit on the lifegurad (ooooohhhhh, Sharon H. fond, fond memories) or dump the TKE frat bell in the deep end. One of my friends was on the track team. Didn't ever see one but heard it was there. He had a scholarship. I don't think the woman's field hockey team won a game in my four years --- ever. And I announced the last season of Billiken hockey before Dick McDonald sold it and Bill Selman and a freshman center named Mike Krushylnyski down the drain. He only ended up playing with the Great One in Edmonton.

The gravy train on athletics has long passed Grand and Lindell by. If we had visionaries in place that could even copy a blueprint for success, our Jesuit brethern in Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova and Boston College would have surely allowed us a peak at their cheat sheets. It takes a buck to make a buck and some derring-do, guts and a little luck. Rome wasn't built in a day ---- I know ---- but some progress was made in 35 years, which is the length of my tenure with this institution.

I want Majerus to finish what he started because there is proof in that pudding --- proof that this school is a graveyard for coaches --- even HOFers like this one. I was stunned when he agreed to take the program, it was as drastic a move that was needed. Biondi told me personally in Cincinnati ten years earlier we were going to "be top 50." Sure. Right.

I do not believe we need to sacrifice integrity for winning athletics. But we do need to maybe sacrifice some crappy, expensive pieces of what some would call art for a total commitment to doing it and doing it right. You do it right, and there is a piece of a huge pot of gold at the end of that rainbow ---- its called television payouts and such. You want art, then you got money.

I know Charlie Brown is going to kick Lucy's football. I just know it.

Well done, that helps some of the naive posters understand what goes on around here.

The machine was donated. The fathers of 3 baseball players before you got there raised funds for the machine, new uniforms, other items.

Hockey team is my favorite example of Jesuit disinterest in athletics. Huge crowds, higher attendance / gm than The Blues. Gone after 6 yrs.

How about $ 1 meal money per player for the whole day, NCAA D-1 team traveling. It happened.

Guys. The Judicial Board, a/k/a Kangaroo Court, is not to blame. Their recommendation apparently followed the student handbook rules and, in fact, did not become reality. They made their ruling, correct me if I am wrong, in a more timely manor -- around Memorial Day. It was Fr. Biondi who let this matter go to them in the first place and then who stuck his head in the sand -- until the night before the team's first day of practice in mid-October -- before announcing HIS decision -- the appeal of the Kangaroo Court decision. Make no mistake, this is ALL Fr. Biondi. This is the same Fr. Biondi who strung Brad along, who hired RM too late in the Spring to get a single recruit to the school (first wasted year) while embarrassing homegrown Cheryl Levick while ignoring chain of command and our AD. Remember that awful press conference in which Fr. Biondi emerged after weeks of no comment. Fr. Biondi got RM signed and on board but the process was way too late for the good of the program, was too embarrasing to the program and school and we all know there was NO "Plan B." Then, the unexplained withdrawal of the chartered flights, reversal of promises, feuds with RM ... long before The Situation. No, this is all Fr. Biondi.

And that piger, John Cook.

If Biondi were to retire and be replaced by someone like Fr. Graham at Xavier, I would have a little hope for the future of SLU athletics.

Something tells me that f-er (not from Minnesota) is still going to be here for the university's bicentennial in 2018.

Is Biondi out and about on campus anymore than he was 4 years ago? I believe I saw him once, when he almost hit me on his supergolfcart, from 02-06.

Clock...good post. I'm blaming a lot of other people. I'm more unhappy the judicial board ever got a chance to rule.

Addendum ..... the warehouse was vacant and stripped bare ... and had no heat! Cold was stored in there for release to the public on St. Louis summer days in August! So how cold was it to feed that jugs machine? How much did it still sting and hurt to hit rock-hard baseballs with crappy bats? Anyone who ever fouled a ball off in similar weather or pounded one into his frozen toes will know what that means.

MB73 ----- graduate in 73? Is that the clue? As in Taj79?

We can't shoot and yet the "talent level" is so high. How can that be? I asked the question last year and i will ask it again when the season begins anew NEXT year --- who on this team will shoot? Maybe its different with Km and WR in there, easin gthe so-called pressure on CE, RL, KC, MM and others. Is that the hope?

Here's another hope --- that this debacle of a season doesn't have long-range effects on collective team psychology.

Jake Barnett, for one. Other candidates include Ellis, Loe, McCall, and Salecich.

Guys. The Judicial Board, a/k/a Kangaroo Court, is not to blame.

There isn't a whole lot of value in debating this point anymore, but this judicial board holds a great deal of blame for how they handled this process. It was handled about as unfairly and poorly as possible in direct violation of it's own material rules.

There isn't a whole lot of value in debating this point anymore, but this judicial board holds a great deal of blame for how they handled this process. It was handled about as unfairly and poorly as possible in direct violation of it's own material rules.

And you don't think Fr. Biondi had a role in this? Seems rather simple to read the student handbook and note that lawyers are not supposed to represent the one side while 2nd year law students represent the other side. Someone read the procedure if 2L's were appointed for KM and WR. To me, this indicates they got half the procedure correct. This was a top down decision due to the pressures of John Cooke. In any event, it was a huge mistake to even allow this matter to go to the judicial board in the first place. After the Prosecutor declined to prosecute, Fr. Biondi could have stepped in, immediately suspended the boys from athletics, conducted a review and then suspended for the summer as well as some/most/all of the Fall semester.

Bernie is right, SLU teams are mostly doomed to mediocrity, or worse.

Remember the '70's, the exciting, nationally ranked SLU hockey program, we brought in Ohio State and other great programs, beat them, had higher attendance per game than The Blues at The Arena? And SLU didn't have to pay salaries. But The Jesuits cut the program after 6 years for financial considerations.

Our problem is that OUR Jesuits do not really care that much about athletics, only token, for appearance sake. Last 40 years, there has never been enough funds allocated for athletics, even basketball, the only real revenue sport.

To boot, we are in the wrong conference, we offer no "football-player-degrees" but our competitors do... lets not go into that, though.

Majerus was our only hope, I never cared that he does not suck up to the local media, or the Billiken boosters. Or that he was a liberal Democrat. He recruits, develops, teaches and coaches players better than anyone else could have in SLU's world. Now with "the WR-KM situation" and RM's health, I think the huge opportunity we had with Majerus might be over.

Posted Image