Willie Reed Sr. changes his tune

thetorch

Reed close to returning to SLU, father says

Reed Sr. has apparently made amends with SLU.

Willie needs to complete 8 hours with a counselor in 10 days. Get on that couch Willie.

Willie has been running and scrimmaging with a KC area college team but hasn't been in the weight room.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie needs to complete 8 hours with a counselor in 10 days. Get on that couch Willie.

Willie has been running and scrimmaging with a KC area college team but hasn't been in the weight room.

Gotta love it...however, he should have been pounding Imo's pizzas like Spirit mentioned awhile ago and hit the weight room. Would have been a good time to build up some muscle. WILLLLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Gotta love it...however, he should have been pounding Imo's pizzas like Spirit mentioned awhile ago and hit the weight room. Would have been a good time to build up some muscle. WILLLLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I don't want to say I'm responsible for him coming back, but lets just credit the Facebook page with an assist :P.

Willie shouldve have been all over that PROTEIN! and getting swell, but we'll take what we can get.

FEED THE REED

I'm starting to believe this is really going to happen.

Lets just say they both come back, decide not to redshirt and are eligible to play starting with the Temple game. What do we need to do between now and then to make a 2nd place finish in the A-10 an at-large candidate?

Given the A-10 is way down this year and only Temple and Richmond look like realistic at-large teams we need to do a lot between now and then. We need to win the home games, that goes without saying. With all due respect to Doc and his double digit blowout predictions we need to and will beat Jax, Bowling Green and Dayton. We will lose to Duke and Missouri St. so at a minimum we have to win 2 of 3 in the Cancun tourney.

Doing that would put us at 8-6 for the non-con. Even a 13-3 A-10 record probably wouldn't be good enough although we would certainly be debatable given the composition changes on the team. Now, a 14-2 conference record and a first place finish in the A-10 would be a different story.

With all that being said, I don't think 13 or 14 wins in the conference even with these guys is realistic. To much rust plus too many road games against good teams. Still, it'll be a much more enjoyable January-March if we are in the mix then if we are middling along around .500.

Lets just say they both come back, decide not to redshirt and are eligible to play starting with the Temple game. What do we need to do between now and then to make a 2nd place finish in the A-10 an at-large candidate?

Given the A-10 is way down this year and only Temple and Richmond look like realistic at-large teams we need to do a lot between now and then. We need to win the home games, that goes without saying. With all due respect to Doc and his double digit blowout predictions we need to and will beat Jax, Bowling Green and Dayton. We will lose to Duke and Missouri St. so at a minimum we have to win 2 of 3 in the Cancun tourney.

Doing that would put us at 8-6 for the non-con. Even a 13-3 A-10 record probably wouldn't be good enough although we would certainly be debatable given the composition changes on the team. Now, a 14-2 conference record and a first place finish in the A-10 would be a different story.

With all that being said, I don't think 13 or 14 wins in the conference even with these guys is realistic. To much rust plus too many road games against good teams. Still, it'll be a much more enjoyable January-March if we are in the mix then if we are middling along around .500.

Amen Brother kshoe!

This is awesome news. I think, if they both play, we'll have a pretty good idea of our chances by the end of 2010. We're not a very good team right now. Is it because we don't have the horses? Because we're inexperienced? Because kids just haven't found there niche? I dunno...but if we finish the end of the year strong, I think we'll have a good chance at a really strong conference run with the return of KM and WR. If we continue this crappy play, I think Willie and Kwamain may be enough to get us into the CBI again.

It looks to me as follows....

NCAA....Richmond & Temple

NIT...Duq. & RI

CBI...St. Bonn & X

If we have a good finish we make CBI...a great finish NIT...if we win out NCAA

hmmmmmm......

I have doubts about either player coming back but may well be wrong. this is not from the "inner beltway" or anything. But if they did, it would seem to me really silly for them to play this year, but adolescents do a lot of silly ######. Will RM and staff allow them to suit up this year?? has anyone got actual, real confirmation from any on staff that these 2 will actually play in January, if allowed back in to SLU?

as for wins, I am combining a few posts in other threads, and responding to Kshoe and others: I have us at about 12-14 wins at best. 8-6 non-conference --are you kidding me? I have trouble seeing 8 wins in all this, even counting Rockhurst. The only lock I see left is BGSU--if you all agree that's a "lock"... as for Jax, I guess we'll see Wed. I really hope we play like we did in the 2nd half against Tenn. State, which was about as good as we have looked so far. Jax has 2 really lean and hungry dudes, so Dwayne E. better eat his wheaties that morning. ps -- everyone is walking around campus today like zombies -- VERY TIRED for finals -- and our guys will just be getting back from whatever greets them in Durham. ouch.

if the 2 come back I just wonder how much it helps, how effective that will be at this point. Ellis did help a lot at the end of last year but it did take a while. again-- I have real reservations about them playing in Jan. and sort of surprised no one else seems to share that. win win win!!!

to answer NH: we don't seem to have the horses, and the inexperience of the freshmen is what it is--up and down at best. Is it just me or is it just possible that the recruiting by RM, while a vast improvement over Brad, has actually been pretty suspect in certain obvious ways? recall please that at present, of the first class of 7, only 2 are suiting up; and last year's class of 5, only 3 are left. that's 5 of 12, which if it were free throws would be bad enough to resemble our present % at the charity stripe.

I think sometimes folks on here have been too sanguine about RM's "spectacular" recruiting -- and I realize there are other factors involved, but the numbers speak for themselves, guys. I think my growing awareness of these realities has dampened my own enthusiasms of the current state of affairs, though personally I really like a lot of the folks in the program... trying not to slam too hard here, just giving an opinion down at "friendly's" bar and grill....

sorry I know some of you don't want to hear it, but again--we just don't have the horses, at least as much as many of us would have suspected by now. I was one who believed that, by this year, we would really have those horses; but a variety of reasons, some rather nefarious, has mitigated that reality to say the least...

you wanna see horses/ watch saturday; the Dukies bench would beat most teams in the A10, I suspect. I saw some of Purdue the other night; they got some horses.

-not to be a buzz kill, but there are a couple of items we need to remember...

-1- WR needs to get some things finished BEFORE he can be eligible to REAPPLY for readmission

-2- guessing the items in #1 get accomplished then SLU has to readmit him (if SLU issued a punishment with conditions on returning and those conditions are met and they do not readmit there will be no telling the consequences but given what we have seen i feel compelled to post this)

-3- now let's say #1 and #2 get accomplished and given WR's conditioning history, how valuable can he be on Jan 15? i don't think he will be in mid-season form

-not to be a buzz kill, but there are a couple of items we need to remember...

-1- WR needs to get some things finished BEFORE he can be eligible to REAPPLY for readmission

-2- guessing the items in #1 get accomplished then SLU has to readmit him (if SLU issued a punishment with conditions on returning and those conditions are met and they do not readmit there will be no telling the consequences but given what we have seen i feel compelled to post this)

-3- now let's say #1 and #2 get accomplished and given WR's conditioning history, how valuable can he be on Jan 15? i don't think he will be in mid-season form

- 1 - If he can't get 8 hours of counseling in 10 days, then he doesn't really want to come back (assuming that is the only thing that is holding up his readmission application).

- 2 - Agreed. If there is a way that SLU can screw this up, then they will find it.

- 3 - Any minutes from WR would help this team.

If KM and WR come back, i hope they play. I'm tired of waiting for SLU to get over the hump. Hope they get readmitted and get in shape by the A-10 tourney. If that happens, then we have a real shot to win the A-10 tourney.

Don't you think WR would have some extra motivation at this point? I can't believe he hasn't been in the weight room. My current gym charges about $15/month. If true, it's disappointing.

If u take away the top 2 players from any team it is easy to say we don't have the horses. Remember that the team played all summer and fall expecting these guys to play. Everyone's role changed a few days before the season started.

Majerus has been a far better receuiter than any other slu coach, ever. Our second 5 is better than most if the starting lineups during the romar and sodie eras.

However, we do not have the horses that duke has and if that's what u were hoping for then u need to choose a different school to root for. It will never get any better here.

hmmmmmm......

I have doubts about either player coming back but may well be wrong. this is not from the "inner beltway" or anything. But if they did, it would seem to me really silly for them to play this year, but adolescents do a lot of silly ######. Will RM and staff allow them to suit up this year?? has anyone got actual, real confirmation from any on staff that these 2 will actually play in January, if allowed back in to SLU?

as for wins, I am combining a few posts in other threads, and responding to Kshoe and others: I have us at about 12-14 wins at best. 8-6 non-conference --are you kidding me? I have trouble seeing 8 wins in all this, even counting Rockhurst. The only lock I see left is BGSU--if you all agree that's a "lock"... as for Jax, I guess we'll see Wed. I really hope we play like we did in the 2nd half against Tenn. State, which was about as good as we have looked so far. Jax has 2 really lean and hungry dudes, so Dwayne E. better eat his wheaties that morning. ps -- everyone is walking around campus today like zombies -- VERY TIRED for finals -- and our guys will just be getting back from whatever greets them in Durham. ouch.

if the 2 come back I just wonder how much it helps, how effective that will be at this point. Ellis did help a lot at the end of last year but it did take a while. again-- I have real reservations about them playing in Jan. and sort of surprised no one else seems to share that. win win win!!!

to answer NH: we don't seem to have the horses, and the inexperience of the freshmen is what it is--up and down at best. Is it just me or is it just possible that the recruiting by RM, while a vast improvement over Brad, has actually been pretty suspect in certain obvious ways? recall please that at present, of the first class of 7, only 2 are suiting up; and last year's class of 5, only 3 are left. that's 5 of 12, which if it were free throws would be bad enough to resemble our present % at the charity stripe.

I think sometimes folks on here have been too sanguine about RM's "spectacular" recruiting -- and I realize there are other factors involved, but the numbers speak for themselves, guys. I think my growing awareness of these realities has dampened my own enthusiasms of the current state of affairs, though personally I really like a lot of the folks in the program... trying not to slam too hard here, just giving an opinion down at "friendly's" bar and grill....

sorry I know some of you don't want to hear it, but again--we just don't have the horses, at least as much as many of us would have suspected by now. I was one who believed that, by this year, we would really have those horses; but a variety of reasons, some rather nefarious, has mitigated that reality to say the least...

you wanna see horses/ watch saturday; the Dukies bench would beat most teams in the A10, I suspect. I saw some of Purdue the other night; they got some horses.

If they come back, the only shot at anything is through the A-10 Tournament, and that is risky. Given our losses so far, our RPI may be beyond NIT repair unless we are outstanding in A-10 play.

If Willie is willing to stay away from the NBA, I want him to red shirt. If he is not, let him play for a year and a half. Mitchell, for him, it actually makes more sense to red shirt and get everything in order. However, for the development of McCall, JJ, and Evans, I don't know if I would mind him playing.

If Willie is readmitted, my take on the situation (from an outside observer) is that Willie needs to play immediately for Willie's own peace of mind and well being. Have you been at a place in life where you excelled at one thing, so much so that your personal identity was wrapped up in this? Then that thing is taken away from you. I believe that is where young Mr. Reed is at right now. It's understandable. Playing basketball is what grounds him and keeps him focused. Without it, he is rudderless. Playing in front of the crowd, the lights, the television, is the positive reinforcement Willie needs to move forward. ... Of course, I don't personally know Willie so this could be completely wrong. The downside to playing immediately is losing a year of eligibility but does anyone really think Willie will be enrolled at SLU and academically eligible in 2012-2013? I see no downside to Willie playing this January if he were to be readmitted and is also academically eligible.

Kwamain is another issue. His goal may be to get his degree and this semester of school was washed out. It makes sense for Kwamain to redshirt.

hmmmmmm......

You are entitled to your opinion and all that but I really don't agree with much of anything you say here:

1) 8-6 in non-con is a very reasonable expectation. We should beat and will be favored against BG, Jax, Chicago St. and Northeastern. One more makes 8.

2) Blaming RM for losing KM and WR, which is what you do in your rant about recruiting is wrong.

3) Nobody is comparing us to Duke, the best team in the country. Before we lost our guys to the kangaroos, we had the horses.

You are entitled to your opinion and all that but I really don't agree with much of anything you say here:

1) 8-6 in non-con is a very reasonable expectation. We should beat and will be favored against BG, Jax, Chicago St. and Northeastern. One more makes 8.

If we go 8-6 in the Non-Con, go 12-4 in the A-10, and win a couple games in the A-10 Tournament, we finish around 22-11...that's a definite bubble record

If the NCAA Tournament Committee takes into account Willie and Kwamain's absences, you never know...especially since the NCAA Tournament is expanded this year...

Obviously this is the absolute best case scenario, but at 3-4 (counting a possible Duke loss) we are definitely running out of rope...but, on the plus side, I think we have a chance in our remaining Non-Con games...

hmmmmmm......

Actually, Cody had an immediate impact when he joined the team last year. He got major minutes starting with his first game and that was with only a few practices under his belt. We don't win his first game with the team (Richmond) without his contributions.

If we go 8-6 in the Non-Con, go 12-4 in the A-10, and win a couple games in the A-10 Tournament, we finish around 22-11...that's a definite bubble record

If the NCAA Tournament Committee takes into account Willie and Kwamain's absences, you never know...especially since the NCAA Tournament is expanded this year...

Obviously this is the absolute best case scenario, but at 3-4 (counting a possible Duke loss) we are definitely running out of rope...but, on the plus side, I think we have a chance in our remaining Non-Con games...

Not with our schedule. A lot of 10-12 loss teams won't have losses to Portland, Austin Peay, and Georgia. Jacksonville and the second couple rounds of Cancun aren't gimme games for us, either. We could have anywhere from 4 to 8 losses heading into conference, and the conference is down this year. 22-11 won't get us a sniff.

2) Blaming RM for losing KM and WR, which is what you do in your rant about recruiting is wrong.

3) Nobody is comparing us to Duke, the best team in the country. Before we lost our guys to the kangaroos, we had the horses.

I think the recruiting dilemma included losing KM and WR. Not fair to lay that on RM's doorstep. So let's make it 7 of 12. And the three that left from his first class were really not his fault either. RC = egomaniac, BT= academics and thin skin, FJ= injury. Last years transferees were looking at what was coming in and said, I ain't riding the pine. Adios. So let's temper the criticism a little. And really out of the departures, none of 'em would have made a difference against Duke, save for FJ providing some solid D.

honestly, and with all due respect:

So; it sounds like I'm the only one noticing any trends here? again just numbers; 5 out of 12 remain, for whatever reasons. that is a horrible attrition rate for any program, actually it may be among THE worst in the nation since 2008; and as far as I can tell outside of one or 2 of these players (FJ for example), they all derive from some fairly alarming character issues. blame the "kangaroos" all you want, but there it is, guys.

here's one comment: "If u take away the top 2 players from any team it is easy to say we don't have the horses." Yes, it is easy. also correct in this case. ps -- please tell me another team whose 2 top players have been kicked out. or who has over 50% attrition rate like us. again, just by the numbers here, were getting pretty squeezed, horse-wise. Who should we blame, if not the current regime?

(and spare me the postmodern psycho-babble about "every program does this, every student does that," "who's to say what's right or wrong?" I'm weary of all the prevarications and pomp-- disguised as moral reasoning -- that has been pronounced on this board since about mid-October....)

Harry Truman: the buck stops here. I really am surprised nobody else is considering this angle. no more blue kool-aid for some of you! but I still want to know-- is there something fishy in here?

if you feel like a little "light" holiday reading, try Tom Wolfe's I AM CHARLOTTE SIMMONS; all the Duke haters will love it since it is based on Duke; it rants about these serious issues (and is very funny) much better than I can right here, right now ... yes, folks, I'm concerned about much bigger game than just SLU basketball. Toxic U., nation-wide, is facing some serious crises, of which all this is just one small symptom, in my opinion. . . . again, all due respect.

honestly, and with all due respect:

So; it sounds like I'm the only one noticing any trends here? again just numbers; 5 out of 12 remain, for whatever reasons. that is a horrible attrition rate for any program, actually it may be among THE worst in the nation since 2008; and as far as I can tell outside of one or 2 of these players (FJ for example), they all derive from some fairly alarming character issues. blame the "kangaroos" all you want, but there it is, guys.

I have been thinking the same thing. While it is easy to go through and pick out individual reasons for each player, which make sense, the numbers don't lie. We have more players transfer than stay, or at least we have so far under Majerus.

Not with our schedule. A lot of 10-12 loss teams won't have losses to Portland, Austin Peay, and Georgia. Jacksonville and the second couple rounds of Cancun aren't gimme games for us, either. We could have anywhere from 4 to 8 losses heading into conference, and the conference is down this year. 22-11 won't get us a sniff.

I'm not saying it would happen, but if the Committee considers our 'circumstance', you never know...According to RealTimeRPI, our only 'Bad Loss' to date is against Austin Peay...

Portland might not be a premier college basketball team, but their end-of-year RPI will probably be in the 70's or 80's...the same is true for Georgia (who's RPI is currently 47)...

I'm not being an eternal optimist here (usually, I am quite pessimistic), but it is not completely outside the realm of rational speculation...

More likely, to even get a sniff we have to compile a 9-5 Non-Con and 13-3 Conference record coupled with a few wins in Atlantic City to have a realistic shot...Is this likely- Hell no...but then again, I'm not supposed to put cheese on my cereal...