Guy Phillips screw up count

crymdg2

1. cardinal stritch game - began pre-game introductions with wrong team.

2. cardinal stritch game - called dwayne evans dwight evans.

3. Nova SE game - announced the next game as being on Saturday when it is actually on Friday

4. Nova SE game - Referred to Dwayne Evans as Dwight Evans 4 times in first half

5. Nova SE game - Referred to Brian Conklin as Alex Conklin

6. Nova SE game - Referred to Jordair Jett as Alex Jett

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you mess that one up? The guy with the coolest, most distinctive name on the team.

All the mistakes makes me think he is doing this on purpose, almost like he reads the board and does it out of spite. It's not like Conklin is a freshman. Unreal.

Everybody should go out of their way to go up and say hi to him, and call him something different, like Phillip Guy. In fact, we should never refer to him on this board again by his real name.

Also, I don't like Jordair Jett being called "JJ". I know we have a JJ thing going on at SLU and during the introductions, I think guy called him "JJ - Jordair Jett", but a name like Jordair Jett should stand on its own.

All the mistakes makes me think he is doing this on purpose, almost like he reads the board and does it out of spite. It's not like Conklin is a freshman. Unreal.

Everybody should go out of their way to go up and say hi to him, and call him something different, like Phillip Guy. In fact, we should never refer to him on this board again by his real name.

Also, I don't like Jordair Jett being called "JJ". I know we have a JJ thing going on at SLU and during the introductions, I think guy called him "JJ - Jordair Jett", but a name like Jordair Jett should stand on its own.

I don't like people - at least somewhat official people - making up nicknames on their own about any player unless the player refers to himself by that name or it has become accepted as the fan's favorite. The only reason we use initials on the board is to save the time of typing the entire name in - internet etiquette. If Phillips Guy is doing this crappy job on purpose then he needs to be called to task by the school because it is not about him but about the school. Finally, I can not believe that the big money guy who likes him could not be prevailed upon to talk to him about his unprofessional performance. Why would the money guy want to have his University made to look foolish by this clown? If I get a chance to ask about Phillips Guy at the Billiken Club mtg tomorrow night I will - I have to think about if it is better done privately or in the public forum - still mulling that over.

3. Nova SE game - announced the next game as being on Saturday when it is actually on Friday

4. Nova SE game - Referred to Dwayne Evans as Dwight Evans 4 times in first half

7. Austin Peay game - for the third straight game first time evans entered game, it was again "Dwight Evans"

8. Austin Peay game - Guy called Mike McCall Mike McFall.

[1. cardinal stritch game - began pre-game introductions with wrong team.

7. Austin Peay game - for the third straight game first time evans entered game, it was again "Dwight Evans"

9. Austin Peay game - Guy tried to intiate a fight with a loud fan near the end of the game.

anyone got anything to add to the list from last night?

[1. cardinal stritch game - began pre-game introductions with wrong team.

9. Austin Peay game - Guy tried to intiate a fight with a loud fan near the end of the game.

anyone got anything to add to the list from last night?

I was not in attendence, but was watching the slubillikens.com stream. I'm pretty sure I heard this:

10. Rockhurst game - Guy called Cody Ellis Cory Ellis.

Also, during the Rockhurst game, there was a foul called by the refs on Evans but Guy stated the foul was on Cody.

11. Georgia game - I could be wrong on this, but in the 1st half I think he called Mike McCall "John McCain"

12. Georgia game - Called Dwayne Evans "Cory Evans"

13. Georgia game - Announces that Rob Loe has entered the game after Loe has already been on the court for several possessions.

11. Rockhurst game - Guy announced a foul on Cody Ellis that was actually on Dwayne Evans. Cody wasnt even in the game at the time.

12. Georgia game - In the 1st half Guy called Mike McCall "John McCain"

13. Georgia game - Called Dwayne Evans "Cory Evans"

14. Georgia game - Announces that Rob Loe has entered the game after Loe has already been on the court for several possessions.

15. Georgia game - Guy called Dwayne Evans "Dwight Evans".

11. Rockhurst game - Guy announced a foul on Cody Ellis that was actually on Dwayne Evans. Cody wasnt even in the game at the time.

14. Georgia game - Announces that Rob Loe has entered the game after Loe has already been on the court for several possessions.

16. Georgia game- I swear that Guy referred to the "Slunatics" as the "Slu-sers"- Please correct me if I'm wrong.

16. Georgia game- I swear that Guy referred to the "Slunatics" as the "Slu-sers"- Please correct me if I'm wrong.

17. IUPUI game - failed to announce what the referee called on at least five plays.

I was at the game and can confirm. Cory Ellis scored from down low around the middle of the 2nd half.

I was there too. I called him Cory the rest of the game. When Remekun did something I just referred to him as Cody to make things simpler. haha!

16. Georgia game- Guy referred to the "Slunatics" as the "Slu-sers".

17. IUPUI game - At least five times did not announce to the crowd the referee's calls.

18. IUPUI game - Called Kyle Cassity "Collin" Cassity.

Maybe it's just the nickel-and-diming on the sound system in our $70M arena, but it's sometimes pretty hard to tell whether Guy's fudging by not articulating the names or whether the sound mix is garbling him.

In any event, it frequently sounds to me like he's evolved into "Dwine" Evans. Perhaps he's further confused by the first name of the human typo, that Wade guy.

Maybe it's just the nickel-and-diming on the sound system in our $70M arena, but it's sometimes pretty hard to tell whether Guy's fudging by not articulating the names or whether the sound mix is garbling him.

In any event, it frequently sounds to me like he's evolved into "Dwine" Evans. Perhaps he's further confused by the first name of the human typo, that Wade guy.

I was thinking the same thing with his pronunciation of Evans's name.

I was thinking the same thing with his pronunciation of Evans's name.

As was I, except for that when I started paying closer attention, he does clearly say "Dwayne" sometimes. I think he just keeps screwing up his name.

Also in the IUPUI game, he said "Back in the game, Paul Eckerle" when he came in for the first time.

The great fans of section 118, row P noted that Guy made a big production when Loe came in: "For the first time as a Billiken!" but made no such fuss about the other freshmen that had already been in the game. Maybe we could get him fired on racism charges.

*Maybe Guy knows that Rob Loe came 9,000 miles to attend St. Louis U. and play for Rick Majerus. So, a nice gesture by Guy. The other freshmen could drive their cars here. Guy is a nincompoop who got his job thru political connections but he isn't evil, we don't need to go that far... The "Guy Phillips issue" is not worth worrying about.

*Maybe Guy knows that Rob Loe came 9,000 miles to attend St. Louis U. and play for Rick Majerus. So, a nice gesture by Guy. The other freshmen could drive their cars here. Guy is a nincompoop who got his job thru political connections but he isn't evil, we don't need to go that far... The "Guy Phillips issue" is not worth worrying about.

Whats your point. Just because Rob Loe came from New Zealand doesn't mean he is doing RM some big favor that the Chicago kids didn't. Loe came to SLU for selfish reasons, as does every recruit. He goes to college for a lot of the same reasons that I will go to college. He wants to go somewhere that will prepare him to make a lot of money after school and a place where he can have fun. He obviously felt SLU was better for that than anywhere in New Zealand or he wouldn't be here.

Loe got the bigger intro because Loe has been more hyped in the media and in the community. I'm not sure why, probably a combination of pedigree, size, origin, and name. But that is why, not because he made some sacrifice to come 9,000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...