Negativity from Tom Timmermann

thetorch

It's a disaster. The team has scored only 8 goals the entire season. Champion needs to go...

I don't think it is Champion's fault that the program doesn't have the NCAA maximum number of fully funded scholarships. You lose a lot of players when you ask them to pay the full load at SLU when they can get a free ride, partial ride, or pay state school rates instead at another school.

I don't think it is Champion's fault that the program doesn't have the NCAA maximum number of fully funded scholarships. You lose a lot of players when you ask them to pay the full load at SLU when they can get a free ride, partial ride, or pay state school rates instead at another school.

I don't know.....

I used to buy that argument for the Baseball team but they seemed to have turned it around. I'm not saying it's easy but it does appear do-able.......

I don't know.....

I used to buy that argument for the Baseball team but they seemed to have turned it around. I'm not saying it's easy but it does appear do-able.......

Plus, don't other women's and non-revenue programs deal with the exact same thing? I don't know of any other A10 schools who aren't dealing with scholarship constraints, Brian.

+1 on the objectivity comment, Taj. Timmerman would be lying if he didn't say SLU's whole athletic program was having an awful fall. I don't think anyone in the program would fault him for saying it, either.

Have you ever met Champion? He has the personality of a tree...There is too much talent in this area for him not to be recruiting better. The scholarship limits are an issue, but a bigger issue is identifying talent and being personable enough to sign them. Most d1 women's soccer programs are not fully funded, this is not unique to SLU.

PS, have you ever watched Champion coach at a game? He sits on a soccer ball, doesn't move or say anything until the end of the half. Not exactly the leader you would expect.

Have you ever met Champion? He has the personality of a tree...There is too much talent in this area for him not to be recruiting better. The scholarship limits are an issue, but a bigger issue is identifying talent and being personable enough to sign them. Most d1 women's soccer programs are not fully funded, this is not unique to SLU.

PS, have you ever watched Champion coach at a game? He sits on a soccer ball, doesn't move or say anything until the end of the half. Not exactly the leader you would expect.

+1000

I have heard it said that a reason he wasn't booted was because they wanted to avoid changing both soccer coaches at the same time. Dunno why it matters, but so be it. If he isn't fired after this season, he will never be fired.

That's the key. Very few sports (if any??) are fully funded at SLU. Much more money needs to be directed to athletic scholarships if SLU is going to attract the top players. Most sports are woefully under-funded.

I have heard that the Saint-sations have 12 full scholarships. Anyone know if that's true? If it is, it's a tragedy..... (IMO)

WTF happened to the women's soccer program?

Not entirely sure. Back in the program's heyday ( probably 2004-2006), Coach Champion was able to bring in a few good recruiting classes of players that from my understanding had played a significant amount together while growing up in St. Louis. They played on the same select team in the offseason, and some of them played together for their schools as well. I haven't really kept track of how STL area girls soccer teams have been doing in the national rankings, but I know that St. Joseph's Academy had been at or near #1 nationally for their soccer program, and a few of their players went on to SLU and had standout careers. I think I may have mentioned it in a thread a while ago here, but the class that graduated from SLU in 2007 was really good, with some very solid players in the classes immediately before and after.

If I had to guess on what led to the downfall of the women's soccer program, I'd say that another group of players like the class of 2007 just hasn't made their way to SLU.

That's the key. Very few sports (if any??) are fully funded at SLU. Much more money needs to be directed to athletic scholarships if SLU is going to attract the top players. Most sports are woefully under-funded.

I have heard that the Saint-sations have 12 full scholarships. Anyone know if that's true? If it is, it's a tragedy..... (IMO)

Title IX... Not sure on what the status of their schollies are, but SLU really only has one revenue producing sport, and that has to be split among ALL the teams. That's why smaller PRIVATE schools like SLU rely heavily on donations and their main revenue producing sports. It would be nice to have a lot of state funding, like Mizzou, but that's one of the Cons of being a private institution.

Do you have any ideas for a replacement?

No, I don't really follow women's soccer, so no suggestions. But a good start might be finding someone who garners some level of respect from the players, which I don't think TC has by the time any of them make it to the end of their SLU careers. Beyond that, this group of girls clearly isn't succeeding with his silent treatment method of in-game coaching. Maybe you've been to some more game than me this year and can comment on whether or not he has opened his mouth during a game.

The one game I've been to, (GW 10/17) they scored 3 goals. They've scored 4 I think in their other 16 games combined. That's almost as futile as the Field Hockey team has been. Is the game plan broken? Do they players recruited not fit the system? Something is obiously wrong with 0.25 goals per game when you take out the outlier.

I've heard that the girls have been "playing well" despite having some tough breaks, lots of ties, balls off the cross bar, etc. A record 3-9-7 (I think) just doesn't cut it. No one has that many tough breaks.

Title IX... Not sure on what the status of their schollies are, but SLU really only has one revenue producing sport, and that has to be split among ALL the teams. That's why smaller PRIVATE schools like SLU rely heavily on donations and their main revenue producing sports. It would be nice to have a lot of state funding, like Mizzou, but that's one of the Cons of being a private institution.

I'm telling you guys the Saintsations get literally like 500 a semester if that.

No, I don't really follow women's soccer, so no suggestions. But a good start might be finding someone who garners some level of respect from the players, which I don't think TC has by the time any of them make it to the end of their SLU careers. Beyond that, this group of girls clearly isn't succeeding with his silent treatment method of in-game coaching. Maybe you've been to some more game than me this year and can comment on whether or not he has opened his mouth during a game.

The one game I've been to, (GW 10/17) they scored 3 goals. They've scored 4 I think in their other 16 games combined. That's almost as futile as the Field Hockey team has been. Is the game plan broken? Do they players recruited not fit the system? Something is obiously wrong with 0.25 goals per game when you take out the outlier.

I've heard that the girls have been "playing well" despite having some tough breaks, lots of ties, balls off the cross bar, etc. A record 3-9-7 (I think) just doesn't cut it. No one has that many tough breaks.

I've seen one game this year, so it's hard to be really fair and objective. However, based upon that one game

which was the early game against Memphis. The score was 2-1 Memphis, but easily could have been 4 or 5 to 1. my thoughts were

1. They lacked speed across the board.

2. They had trouble settling the ball quickly allowing them time to make a play.

3. When they did have time, they were soft with their passing game.

4. The above problems prevented them from ever getting into a flow and stringing anything together consistently.

It appeared to me, they were just outmatched during that game in skill and athleticism.

I don't know much about the guy, and I don't have any idea how appealing the job may be. With the record being what it is, I think it's obviously time for a new direction. I was just wondering if you knew of any candidates who might be good.

Are there any local high school coaches who could make the move?

I don't know much about the guy, and I don't have any idea how appealing the job may be. With the record being what it is, I think it's obviously time for a new direction. I was just wondering if you knew of any candidates who might be good.

Are there any local high school coaches who could make the move?

The big question is indeed how appealing is the job. And, we would probably need to know the salary to get a good answer on that.

Providing that the salary is competitive, it would not make sense at all to go after a local high school coach. There are a lot of quality college coaches. Coach Musso, for example, from Quincy would be a good fit. He has is a proven recruiter and is 12-3-3 in one of the best Division II conferences in the nation. His squad beat Division I Southeast Missouri 2-0.

I said it once and I will say it again: this SLU squad is much better than the record would suggest. It is time for a new coach.

Talking about futile. the field hockey team needs to change in a dramatic way.i think theyve won one game the last 2 years.

Talking about futile. the field hockey team needs to change in a dramatic way.i think theyve won one game the last 2 years.

Chance for an (im)perfect season on Halloween. Looks like they stand at 0-19 with one game remaining. Outscored 79-9 in those 19 games I think. Brutal.

The big question is indeed how appealing is the job. And, we would probably need to know the salary to get a good answer on that.

Providing that the salary is competitive, it would not make sense at all to go after a local high school coach. There are a lot of quality college coaches. Coach Musso, for example, from Quincy would be a good fit. He has is a proven recruiter and is 12-3-3 in one of the best Division II conferences in the nation. His squad beat Division I Southeast Missouri 2-0.

I said it once and I will say it again: this SLU squad is much better than the record would suggest. It is time for a new coach.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't we lose our softball coach to a D2 program a couple of years ago? Maybe one of our insiders has an idea as to whether or not we're willing to compete salary-wise.