Outside shooting

Believe we can all agree that our outside shooting was not the strength of our team last year. Seemed like when guys had a good game from the outside (CS, KC, CE and JJ come to mind), we were tough to guard and won most all of those games. I am thrilled with RM's recruiting but I did expect him to land a really good outside shooter somewhere along the way. Believe we came close with several kids (cannot recall their names). Also, Jeff Reid supposedly was a good shooter but we really never got to see him play.

Do you guys think any 1 or 2 guys will really step up and be a consistent outside threat (if so, please list names) or will it be a year outside shooting "by committee" with different players having their moments/games throughout the season.

Believe we can all agree that our outside shooting was not the strength of our team last year. Seemed like when guys had a good game from the outside (CS, KC, CE and JJ come to mind), we were tough to guard and won most all of those games. I am thrilled with RM's recruiting but I did expect him to land a really good outside shooter somewhere along the way. Believe we came close with several kids (cannot recall their names). Also, Jeff Reid supposedly was a good shooter but we really never got to see him play.

Do you guys think any 1 or 2 guys will really step up and be a consistent outside threat (if so, please list names) or will it be a year outside shooting "by committee" with different players having their moments/games throughout the season.

just a thought, but i think that kc could really have a breakout season shooting wise.

Cody, Kyle, and Christian all come to mind. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I feel as though CS really wore down at the end of last season. I think his shot is promising, and even though he has a tendency to throw up bad shots, he has some range. With that being said, I think he could end up with a good average from 3 next season.

Any of the following players could improve on the 3 point shooting percentage with strong work this summer: CS, KC, CE and KM. Both KM and KC improved their shooting percentages from their freshman years and I expect all 4 to end up with a better percentage next year than last. Additionally, I expect RL and MM to be serious threats from the outside. We'll be fine.

is jordair jett supposed to be a good outside shooter or is he more of a defensive player?

Poor outside shooter. Physical defender who attacks the basket. McCall is a good outside shooter.

KC shot 38% from three during conference play.

From the guard spot, I have a feeling CS will step up his soph yr and be the guard we need besides KM to hit the "3" consistently.

He started to assert himself late in the year, was close to breaking out a few times.

But then when JJ was injured, our third guard out, we were down to three guards, all of our guards were worn down.

This stopped CS's momentum IMO.

Also hoping MM might be a guard to hit some big "3's".

Up front, CE will have to improve % wise, it sure seems it is there and that he can/will do better, and hopefully RL will also hit some threes.

We shall see.

From the guard spot, I have a feeling CS will step up his soph yr and be the guard we need besides KM to hit the "3" consistently.

He started to assert himself late in the year, was close to breaking out a few times.

But then when JJ was injured, our third guard out, we were down to three guards, all of our guards were worn down.

Up front, CE will have to improve % wise, it sure seems it is there and that he can/will do better, and hopefully RL will also hit some threes.

We shall see.

I think the most likely to step up are CE and KM. CS looks good shooting the 3 but man some of them were not even in the same area code of the hoop. I think CE wore down towards the end of last year... probably a case of too much being jammed into to little time. I don't think we've seen his best from 3 pt range. Can't judge or guess on RL o

We shall see.

I think the most likely to step up are CE and KM. CS looks good shooting the 3 but man some of them were not even in the same area code of the hoop. I think CE wore down towards the end of last year... probably a case of too much being jammed into to little time. I don't think we've seen his best from 3 pt range. Can't judge or guess on RL or MM at this point. MM sure looks to have a quick trigger and great form but that's HS... got to see how it translates to D1. DP was supposed to be a great 3 shooter in HS and all I recall were a lot of clangers and airballs. It would make things a whole lot easier if we had 2 guys who were legit threats from out there to stretch the D and open things up for our bigs on the inside.

We started out as good 3pt shooters but as the season wore on and we had to work harder to get open shots we simply did not have the legs to be a good shooting team. Somehow this conditioning issue will have to be addressed either by more cardio work or playing more players - either way without the legs the shots won't fall.

I think the most likely to step up are CE and KM. CS looks good shooting the 3 but man some of them were not even in the same area code of the hoop. I think CE wore down towards the end of last year... probably a case of too much being jammed into to little time. I don't think we've seen his best from 3 pt range. Can't judge or guess on RL or MM at this point. MM sure looks to have a quick trigger and great form but that's HS... got to see how it translates to D1. DP was supposed to be a great 3 shooter in HS and all I recall were a lot of clangers and airballs. It would make things a whole lot easier if we had 2 guys who were legit threats from out there to stretch the D and open things up for our bigs on the inside.

DP was never a great shooter in h.s. - he was adequate but scored most of his points driving. While I never thought he was going to be a great shooter in college I did not expect to see him being that bad.

Actually, I thought we started hitting the 3 down the stretch when we started winning in conf - JJ, CE, KC, and KM kept hitting them and we beat Dayton, Duq, UMASS, gave X a tough game, etc. Then in the CBI tourney, JJ gets hurt and KC and CE wore down. This was the opposite from the non-conf schedule, when most of the pts were coming from inside.

To me, I think Willie needs to get stronger so he can be as effective inside against the tougher opponents: Dayton, Temple, etc.

Also, it would be nice if our big men could hit the mid-range shot and our guards learn to pull up for the mid-range jumper (KM is the best at doing this).

I do think we will continue to improve with CE (I have a feeling he breaks out like KM did), CS, and KC improving the most. If RL can hit from the outside it will make a big difference. CS started with shooting nice from long-range, but the speed of the D1 opponents got to him and I think you will see him start to shoot better again now that he is adjusted. KC's improvement will rely on added muscle which will let him fight through fatigue.

Also, it would be nice if ... our guards learn to pull up for the mid-range jumper (KM is the best at doing this).

it looks and sounds like MM will be adept at this as well. to hear majerus talk, maybe even moreso than KM. which is VERY exciting. i think as long as MM plays within himself, he's going to be a phenomenal player for us.

it looks and sounds like MM will be adept at this as well. to hear majerus talk, maybe even moreso than KM. which is VERY exciting. i think as long as MM plays within himself, he's going to be a phenomenal player for us.

Totally agree, reminds me a lot of Erwin Claggett. He can shoot the three off the dribble.

Totally agree, reminds me a lot of Erwin Claggett. He can shoot the three off the dribble.

when did you see mccall play enough to compare him to erwin?

We started out as good 3pt shooters but as the season wore on and we had to work harder to get open shots we simply did not have the legs to be a good shooting team. Somehow this conditioning issue will have to be addressed either by more cardio work or playing more players - either way without the legs the shots won't fall.

We'll be a good 3 pt team next year strictly because we'll have at least 4 players hitting at least 35%

CE 38-42%. He was at the high end of this early. His percentage dropped dramatically as he wore down.

KM 36-40% He finished above 36% last year and was higher before he wore down from having too many guards injured.

KC 36-40% He hit about 38% the second half of last year.

CS. He's hard to judge as he shot much worse than expected last year. I'd bet he finds his rythym and ends up near 35%

Both MM and RL come in with the label of strong 3 pt shooters. I'd be surprised if at least 1 doesn't shoot well right off the bat.

I don't think we'll have that one guy hitting 45% or better, but what we will have is a bunch of guys that can shoot coming at you from everywhere but the 5. Opponents will have to be able to guard the entire floor at 4 positions.

when did you see mccall play enough to compare him to erwin?

Probably based on the video - either it was a career day or the 2nd coming of Erwin. Still, he's a frosh, and I cut them a lot of slack...although less since aau's gotten so big. No slack for Loe - he's already being exposed to top hoops.

I don't think we'll have that one guy hitting 45% or better, but what we will have is a bunch of guys that can shoot coming at you from everywhere but the 5. Opponents will have to be able to guard the entire floor at 4 positions.

Probably right till Jake Barnett becomes eligible.

As a freshman Jake hit 37% at Toledo.

Probably right till Jake Barnett becomes eligible.

As a freshman Jake hit 37% at Toledo.

That's really good, especially because he was "the man" there. Teams likely put their best defender on him. It will be interesting to see what a year of redshirt and teammates that will contribute will do for that average.

We shot 34% from the three point line last season which isn't great but really not that bad considering the three point line was moved back last year. I see improvement in this areas simply by being more familiar with the distance and our returning players being a year older.

The thing I really expect improvement on is the foul shooting. We shot 69% last year. We need that up to at least the 75% range. With better foul shooting last year we win several more games.

We shot 34% from the three point line last season which isn't great but really not that bad considering the three point line was moved back last year. I see improvement in this areas simply by being more familiar with the distance and our returning players being a year older.

The thing I really expect improvement on is the foul shooting. We shot 69% last year. We need that up to at least the 75% range. With better foul shooting last year we win several more games.

Didn't they move it back 2 years ago?