The streets

oh that's right, you showed where jason williams was a rhodes scholar nominee.

btw, you brought duke up in this conversation. i did not.

I just gotta laugh; Coach K is not good enought for you.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i said he was a good coach. i just dont approve of his off court smoke. you dont read very well do you.

I am bit confused here. How would playing against supposed 'dirty' coaches, such as Cal or Pitino, place SLU on their level? As fans of our team, shouldn't we want to face and beat all competition put before us? And if that competition achieved their succes unfairly, shouldn't that increase our hunger to beat them?

I mean really, do we think that their 'dirt' is going to rub off on our players just by sharing the basketball court? I, for one, would love to see us take on one of these dirty programs and beat them. It doesn't mean I want SLU going down the same road as a Calipari team. Or maybe it does and this is just all higher-level thinking that my lemming-like brain cannot comprehend.

I mean really, do we think that their 'dirt' is going to rub off on our players just by sharing the basketball court?

We better not shake hands with them, unless, of course, our guys want to get the "Dirt". Just in case, our guys should probably put a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer in their socks.

We better not shake hands with them, unless, of course, our guys want to get the "Dirt". Just in case, our guys should probably put a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer in their socks.

Rickma may not wash his butt after pooping so that postgame handshake may set off sparks.

Coach K has had his share of negative exposure, but the NCAA treats their golden boy great.

Ask Bobby Mac at CBC about Coach K's recruiting of Larry Hughes.

Pretty Quinn played and learned under Coack K. Coaches usually learn things from their mentor.

I'm just saying.

Rickma may not wash his butt after pooping so that postgame handshake may set off sparks.

Roy's dream schedule would consist of home and home's with Lindenwood, Washington, St. Mary's, and Seattle - all of which are coached by ex-Billiken head or assistant coaches - all of whom are saints in his eyes. The "where there's smoke there's fire" comment he made does not apply to a few of them in Roy's eyes.

You like the underhanded slap at Majerus in one of his previous posts where he called Fran Dunphy the best coach in the A-10?

Roy's dream schedule would consist of home and home's with Lindenwood, Washington, St. Mary's, and Seattle - all of which are coached by ex-Billiken head or assistant coaches - all of whom are saints in his eyes. The "where there's smoke there's fire" comment he made does not apply to a few of them in Roy's eyes.

You like the underhanded slap at Majerus in one of his previous posts where he called Fran Dunphy the best coach in the A-10?

Don't forget that roy's hero, Lorenzo Romar, was an assistant to Jim Harrick at UCLA. Based on roy's logic, Romar must be dirty because he worked for Harrick.

ole roy is all over the place in this thread. On one hand, he's critical of Calipari and Pitino. Then he cites Louisville as a great opponent that we've brought into SLU for a home game. Based on roy's reasoning, we should have refused to play conference games against Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, etc. because of their coaches.

I think you're overreaching here. In the past three years, Dunphy has taken his team to the Dance all three. We made the CBI. (And Dunphy only required one year, his first, as a "rebuilding" year.)

Rick very well could be the best coach in the A-10...after this year is over. Based on history, however, it's pretty difficult to take Roy's opinion about Dunphy and characterize it as a slap at Rick.

Coach K has had his share of negative exposure, but the NCAA treats their golden boy great.

Ask Bobby Mac at CBC about Coach K's recruiting of Larry Hughes.

Pretty Quinn played and learned under Coack K. Coaches usually learn things from their mentor.

I'm just saying.

Rammer has also pointed out that when Quinn was going down in flames his excuse was, {paraphrasing} "But that's how we did it at Duke and no one said it was wrong."

Compliment coach K on his coaching or leadership all you want, but don't assume he is as pure as a driven snow.

And I must have missed when one of Self's programs have been under investigation.

From a paper in 2003

" KANSAS CITY, Mo. --- Kansas basketball coach Bill Self said Monday that he wasn't embarrassed by a newspaper story outlining 20 NCAA violations that occurred while he was head coach at Illinois."

Link

From 2006

"In addition to the probation, more penalties were passed out for KU's football and men's basketball programs, which were cited as being in violation of multiple NCAA rules. Among the new punishments:

¢ Men's basketball loses one scholarship for the 2007-08 and 2008-09 school years, and will have 12 grants to give instead of 13.

¢ Men's basketball also must restrict the number of official campus visits by eight over a two-year period. Given 12 per year, coach Bill Self now has 16 visits to use instead of 24 between now and the 2008-09 school year."

Link

The following aren't really NCAA Violations but don't really look good for Bill Self or Kansas Basketball

From 2005

"Off the court, Giddens did have issues. He was stabbed in the right calf, receiving 30 stitches to close the wound after an altercation at a Lawrence, Kansas tavern on May 19, 2005, while playing for the Jayhawks.

Giddens was charged with misdemeanor battery and disorderly conduct, when he was accused of striking Jeremiah Creswell outside the bar to spark the incident. Giddens' attorney, Debra Vermillion told the judge that she, too, believed that a trial would reveal that Giddens struck Creswell.

It was not Giddens' first major off-court issue. During his senior season at John Marshall High School, he was arrested on Dec. 19, 2002, and charged with felony counts of conspiracy to commit grand larceny, grand larceny from a retailer, concealing stolen property and obtaining property by false pretense in connection with a plot to steal nearly $4,000 worth of electronics from an Oklahoma City Wal-Mart."

Link

From 2006

"Kansas forward C.J. Giles was dismissed from the team Tuesday after a student reported Giles had dragged her from his apartment by her feet and hit her.

University police ticketed Giles for misdemeanor battery, and he was given a notice to appear in municipal court on the battery charge."

Link

From 2008

"A Douglas County District Court judge has ruled in favor of a woman who filed a civil lawsuit against Kansas University basketball player Sherron M. Collins, 21, over an assault she said took place in an elevator.

In her lawsuit, Brown, 35, accused Collins of exposing himself and rubbing against her despite being told repeatedly to stop. She said the incident occurred May 18, 2007, in an elevator at Jayhawker Towers where the woman said she worked."

Link

From 2009

"Kansas junior guard Brady Morningstar has been suspended from the team following an early morning arrest on suspicion of driving while intoxicated."

Link

From 2009

"Junior guard Chase Buford was arrested early Saturday morning for operating a motor vehicle under the influence."

Link

And of course there was this in 2009.

"A fight between KU football and basketball players broke out Tuesday night, and was reignited Wednesday morning.

In the second fight, which took place about 10 a.m. local time Wednesday on the other end of campus, witnesses reported some players hurling racial insults and a basketball player shoving a football player down some stairs.

The Kansas student newspaper said on its Web site that basketball players Marcus and Markieff Morris, Mario Little, Sherron Collins and Taylor were at the scene. The site also had a video of several basketball players, including Collins and the Morris twins, ushered into a van by associate athletic director Sean Lester."

Link

Not Bill Self but still Kansas basketball related

"Still pending is another, entirely separate scandal that has rocked the Jayhawks and led to an FBI and IRS investigation. An investigation commissioned by the school released last month charged that former employees ran a scam involving millions of dollars worth of basketball and football tickets."

Link

I think you're overreaching here. In the past three years, Dunphy has taken his team to the Dance all three. We made the CBI. (And Dunphy only required one year, his first, as a "rebuilding" year.)

Rick very well could be the best coach in the A-10...after this year is over. Based on history, however, it's pretty difficult to take Roy's opinion about Dunphy and characterize it as a slap at Rick.

If you read his entire post, it can only be seen as a slap. He was posting about which coaches he thought were good or bad. Only one of those on a long list did he add that he was the best coach in his respective league.

thanks joe for your backup and you are exactly right. my admiration of dunphy has nothing to do with our fine coach. dunphy has an amazing resume that imo shows currently he is the best coach in the league. prior to coming to temple, arguably he was the best coach in the ivy league. he was in the ivy league for 17 years and won 10 titles. of all the members of the ivy league, only princeton has won more than 10 games over that 17 year period vs dunphy's penn teams.

in his four seasons at temple he has been to the ncaa tourney 3 times. and he didnt "inherit" a great team either. his initial season at temple resulted in a tenth place finish in the conference with a 12-18 record before the turnaround thereafter.

roy places a post and its open season on roy. I do not agree with all roy says and believes in but I will not trash him for his opinionated stance(s). He makes very good points along the way and isn't that what discussion and debate is all about?. Some see "billiken_roy" and its like waving a red cape in front of the bulls. Newsflash: roy is opinionated and you likely won't agree with it all so get over it.

I like the idea of playing and beating all takers. If its Calipari and Pitino and Coach K, so be it. I will dance gleefully on their tombstones for that year. If is Dixon and Thompson III and Purnell and Williams, so be it. I also agree in that I don't like to see an overwhelming number of 200+ RPI teams on a schedule -- that helps no one. I understand Fang Mitchell's scheduling practices --- he has to take Coppin State on the road to BCS schools so that he makes enough money to support the entrer Coppin State athletic department. It has helped him get ready for the MEAC and usually win that league for the one bid to the big one. Until Todd Bozeman came along and took over at in-town rival Morgan State. Striking the proper balance is th ekey and a hard thing to do.

I'd love to see this street talk be any number of teams ---- Kentucky, Mizzou, Villanova, Duke, Arizona or whomever. I'd like the secondary games to be Kent State, Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason, Bradley, Miami of Ohio, and Creighton keeping the traditional foes like SIu and Missouri State.

But that's what I'd want and I said at this time last year that getting teams into Chaifetz will mimick attempts at Dayton to get folks to come an dplay there. I just don't see it happeninbg. We should also have home-and-homes with Mizzou and Illinois on the schedule ad infinitum. All I know is I ain't gtting too high or too low abou tthis until the streets puke it out and we all know what it is.

Free billiken_roy.

roy places a post and its open season on roy. I do not agree with all roy says and believes in but I will not trash him for his opinionated stance(s). He makes very good points along the way and isn't that what discussion and debate is all about?. Some see "billiken_roy" and its like waving a red cape in front of the bulls. Newsflash: roy is opinionated and you likely won't agree with it all so get over it.

I like the idea of playing and beating all takers. If its Calipari and Pitino and Coach K, so be it. I will dance gleefully on their tombstones for that year. If is Dixon and Thompson III and Purnell and Williams, so be it. I also agree in that I don't like to see an overwhelming number of 200+ RPI teams on a schedule -- that helps no one. I understand Fang Mitchell's scheduling practices --- he has to take Coppin State on the road to BCS schools so that he makes enough money to support the entrer Coppin State athletic department. It has helped him get ready for the MEAC and usually win that league for the one bid to the big one. Until Todd Bozeman came along and took over at in-town rival Morgan State. Striking the proper balance is th ekey and a hard thing to do.

I'd love to see this street talk be any number of teams ---- Kentucky, Mizzou, Villanova, Duke, Arizona or whomever. I'd like the secondary games to be Kent State, Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason, Bradley, Miami of Ohio, and Creighton keeping the traditional foes like SIu and Missouri State.

But that's what I'd want and I said at this time last year that getting teams into Chaifetz will mimick attempts at Dayton to get folks to come an dplay there. I just don't see it happeninbg. We should also have home-and-homes with Mizzou and Illinois on the schedule ad infinitum. All I know is I ain't gtting too high or too low abou tthis until the streets puke it out and we all know what it is.

Free billiken_roy.

roy makes very good points on many occasions. In this case, several of us feel he's wrong. I believe I'm justified in posting that I'd like to play Kentucky in a home and home and pointing out that I disagee with roy and his vision of leading the program to prominence by playing 100-level rpi teams like Appalachian State.

The best recruits will want to play the best opponents. That 100-150 level rpi opponent talk will chase them away. I wouldn't get in the business of being a buy game or having 2 for 1s, but I wouldn't hesitate to play a home and home against the best teams possible. I don't see why that's hard to understand for some people.

good points to you footsie and no disagreement here. I am saying attack the words and opinions. Agree to disagree.

I think there is another balance that each and every coach and scheduler has out there and that is to balance the schedule in such a way that it offers a good foundation for an NCAA selection committee as well as giving you enough wins to be noticed outside the auto-bid. How does one play enough "good" teams in the OOC tune ups and not get swamped --- either in beating just bad teams or in having your team lose more matchups than not? Is what you do in November and December even noticed outside of when the big boys in the BCS point out how "weak" you are compared to how sytrong the 12th and 13th team in the Big Least are that had to play seven of the top ten schools in the nation?

Some guys say "bring all comers." Fang Mitchell. John Chaney. Fran Dunphy. Others coddle thei rway throiugh an easy OOC season. Jim Boeheim. Quinn Snyder. Oiver Purnell. Gary Williams. Th elittle guys seem more apt to take folks on and try to get ahead. The big boys not so much.

good points to you footsie and no disagreement here. I am saying attack the words and opinions. Agree to disagree.

I think there is another balance that each and every coach and scheduler has out there and that is to balance the schedule in such a way that it offers a good foundation for an NCAA selection committee as well as giving you enough wins to be noticed outside the auto-bid. How does one play enough "good" teams in the OOC tune ups and not get swamped --- either in beating just bad teams or in having your team lose more matchups than not? Is what you do in November and December even noticed outside of when the big boys in the BCS point out how "weak" you are compared to how sytrong the 12th and 13th team in the Big Least are that had to play seven of the top ten schools in the nation?

Some guys say "bring all comers." Fang Mitchell. John Chaney. Fran Dunphy. Others coddle thei rway throiugh an easy OOC season. Jim Boeheim. Quinn Snyder. Oiver Purnell. Gary Williams. Th elittle guys seem more apt to take folks on and try to get ahead. The big boys not so much.

Agree that you can't schedule murderer's row each season. However, that's not even in the realm of possiblity for us. We can't get any of the traditional top 20 or 25 programs to come to Chaifetz. IMO, one of the best ways to get attention for the program both locally and nationally (as well as sell more tickets) is to get home dates with top opponents. If we're to belive RM, he's giving this a good effort. Many top teams don't want to risk going on the road against a team like ours.

thanks joe for your backup and you are exactly right. my admiration of dunphy has nothing to do with our fine coach. dunphy has an amazing resume that imo shows currently he is the best coach in the league. prior to coming to temple, arguably he was the best coach in the ivy league. he was in the ivy league for 17 years and won 10 titles. of all the members of the ivy league, only princeton has won more than 10 games over that 17 year period vs dunphy's penn teams.

in his four seasons at temple he has been to the ncaa tourney 3 times. and he didnt "inherit" a great team either. his initial season at temple resulted in a tenth place finish in the conference with a 12-18 record before the turnaround thereafter.

I'm sure that there are many fans of the Owls who would bemoan Dunphy's three first round exits since taking over at Temple. I also think that Dunphy is a fine coach but this is definitely a ###### in the armor in his perceived status as the BRoy best coach in the A-10.

I'm sure that there are many fans of the Owls who would bemoan Dunphy's three first round exits since taking over at Temple. I also think that Dunphy is a fine coach but this is definitely a ###### in the armor in his perceived status as the BRoy best coach in the A-10.

what other current a-10 coach has been to the ncaa tourney 3 out of the last four seasons? i am told constantly on this message board that is all that matters. so give him his due.

and those of you challenging the claim dunphy is the rightful current owner of the best coach in the a-10, please enlighten the board as to who has better current credentials and is more deserving july 7, 2010.

oh that's right, you showed where jason williams was a rhodes scholar nominee.

btw, you brought duke up in this conversation. i did not.

Jason Williams had a 3.6 GPA in high school... went to college at Duke... a top 5-10 academic school in USA over the yrs.

Not bad.

And, your big credentials.......?

Rammer has also pointed out that when Quinn was going down in flames his excuse was, {paraphrasing} "But that's how we did it at Duke and no one said it was wrong."

Compliment coach K on his coaching or leadership all you want, but don't assume he is as pure as a driven snow.

He is not "pure as a driven snow" but is good enough for SLU (talk about hypothetical).

Some apparently do not think he is... you wouldn't think he is OK for SLU?

Jason Williams had a 3.6 GPA in high school... went to college at Duke... a top 5-10 academic school in USA over the yrs.

Not bad.

And, your big credentials.......?

he was a sociology major. that is about the same as a bragging about a kindergarden gpa.

he was a sociology major. that is about the same as a bragging about a kindergarden gpa.

Jesus Christ, Roy. Why don't you tell us what are acceptable degrees to impress you? Is life in Belleville that bad?