The streets

Jesus Christ, Roy. Why don't you tell us what are acceptable degrees to impress you? Is life in Belleville that bad?

he has also ripped history degrees on here before. apparently, he is unaware that a large portion of the posters on this board are attorneys, many of whom probably had degrees in history, sociology, or something similar. i believe roy has a business degree of some sort.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what other current a-10 coach has been to the ncaa tourney 3 out of the last four seasons? i am told constantly on this message board that is all that matters. so give him his due.

and those of you challenging the claim dunphy is the rightful current owner of the best coach in the a-10, please enlighten the board as to who has better current credentials and is more deserving july 7, 2010.

let's see, RM has more NCAA tourney appearances, more elite eight appearances, he has been to the final game, coached the Dream Team, and has put more players in the NBA. I'd say those are better credentials than dunphy's. please keep in mind that while dunphy has been to 3 straight NCAA tourneys, he's been one and done each time.

we can debate this all you want. if you didn't have your blinders on we wouldn't be talking about this.

and yes dunphy has gotten temple further faster, but he had more to work with at first. and, let's see where the two schools stand in March of next year. the gap is much narrower.

let's see, RM has more NCAA tourney appearances, more elite eight appearances, he has been to the final game, coached the Dream Team, and has put more players in the NBA. I'd say those are better credentials than dunphy's. please keep in mind that while dunphy has been to 3 straight NCAA tourneys, he's been one and done each time.

we can debate this all you want. if you didn't have your blinders on we wouldn't be talking about this.

and yes dunphy has gotten temple further faster, but he had more to work with at first. and, let's see where the two schools stand in March of next year. the gap is much narrower.

Great post. If you give Rick Ma the Temple teams the last 3 tourneys, I bet he makes it out of the first round at least once.

Great post. If you give Rick Ma the Temple teams the last 3 tourneys, I bet he makes it out of the first round at least once.

I would love to see what Dunphy would've accomplished with RM's first SLU squad. Other than KL, TL, and LM there wasn't much else. And RM didn't go 12-18.

Jesus Christ, Roy. Why don't you tell us what are acceptable degrees to impress you? Is life in Belleville that bad?

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/encyc.php?encycid=45

it was an espn story a few years back.

Just for the record, an attorney isn't an attorney because of his or her histroy degree. And a degree from Intercollegiate U. does not guarantee success. And a high school GPA for an athlete is automatically suspect in today's day and age (see related thread on the Mizzou recruit out of Texas). Who was the college graduate basketball player some years ago that could NOT even read? i understand these are rare circumstances but sensational sells so you tend to rememebr the inglorious and present it as the norm when its not. It just gets more pub.

A lot of our guys are communication majors. So was I and I spent ten years after college trying toi bust into the business. I did not however have or even consider myself to have an option of the temporary riches of the NBA -- as most of these kids do (in terms of them believing they do). Even Europe. Or Paraguay. All schools cut slack for their athletes. Even if its something simple lik emandatory study halls, separate training tables, exclusive dorm rooms, or tutors on the road. For the most part, big ticket NCAA teams are not about the student --- they are more about the alumni and the money. Was it more important to John Calipari to get Rose and Wall into school for one year or more important that they graduate?

I also believe that until you graduate, your bio in the pro program should say Podunk High School and not Duke University. I'll give Coach K credit for that. Years ago, he woul dnot allow a kid's name on an NCAA banner unless the kid graduated. I recall Christian Laettner's name taking a while to get on his banners. I think that's fair. I'll give K and Duke credit for that.

As of right now Dunphy is the best coach in the A10. He has a track record in the A10 better than any other coach.

If I had to choose between Rickma and Dunphy to coach my team, I would take Rickma. That said when you want to name the best coach in the A10 you should base it on what the coach has accomplished in the conference so far and not what you think they will accomplish in the next few years. We don't hand out MVP awards on pontential. We had them out on results. I think the same should go when it comes to handing out the title to best coach in the A10.

Just for the record, an attorney isn't an attorney because of his or her histroy degree. And a degree from Intercollegiate U. does not guarantee success. And a high school GPA for an athlete is automatically suspect in today's day and age (see related thread on the Mizzou recruit out of Texas). Who was the college graduate basketball player some years ago that could NOT even read? i understand these are rare circumstances but sensational sells so you tend to rememebr the inglorious and present it as the norm when its not. It just gets more pub.

A lot of our guys are communication majors. So was I and I spent ten years after college trying toi bust into the business. I did not however have or even consider myself to have an option of the temporary riches of the NBA -- as most of these kids do (in terms of them believing they do). Even Europe. Or Paraguay. All schools cut slack for their athletes. Even if its something simple lik emandatory study halls, separate training tables, exclusive dorm rooms, or tutors on the road. For the most part, big ticket NCAA teams are not about the student --- they are more about the alumni and the money. Was it more important to John Calipari to get Rose and Wall into school for one year or more important that they graduate?

I also believe that until you graduate, your bio in the pro program should say Podunk High School and not Duke University. I'll give Coach K credit for that. Years ago, he woul dnot allow a kid's name on an NCAA banner unless the kid graduated. I recall Christian Laettner's name taking a while to get on his banners. I think that's fair. I'll give K and Duke credit for that.

There were players who were communications majors when I was at SLU. There was one player in particular who had no business in a college classroom but was passed along for a couple of seasons just the same. The player was in the one communications class that I took at SLU. He should have flunked but was given a C and regularly applauded by the professor. I find it funny that there are some people who think our program is above doing things to keep players eligible.

As of right now Dunphy is the best coach in the A10. He has a track record in the A10 better than any other coach.

If I had to choose between Rickma and Dunphy to coach my team, I would take Rickma. That said when you want to name the best coach in the A10 you should base it on what the coach has accomplished in the conference so far and not what you think they will accomplish in the next few years. We don't hand out MVP awards on pontential. We had them out on results. I think the same should go when it comes to handing out the title to best coach in the A10.

I agree. Lets hope after the next two years Rick will make a nice charge to the top

btw, laettner had to switch to sociology to finally get that degree. also, coach K no longer has that roster graduation requirement to hang a banner. he threw that rule out the year avery and maggette left duke.

And? Guess what Roy: athletes skate by at SLU too. Some of them get ###### degrees, learn nothing, get passed on by their professors and unfortunately don't go on to make millions in their athletic field either unlike some of their Duke brethern.

And? Guess what Roy: athletes skate by at SLU too. Some of them get ###### degrees, learn nothing, get passed on by their professors and unfortunately don't go on to make millions in their athletic field either unlike some of their Duke brethern.

i wasnt bragging about the slu academic skaters though in my response. if you go back and read through the posts in this thread, i did not even bring duke up in the conversation first. dukie mb was doing all the big talk about jason williams.

and the millions that corey maggette or jason williams made had little to do with their work in the classroom so that point seems moot to me.

This was written by a North Carolina graduate with a hate agenda who is laughed at in ACC circles. A Nifong type.

His info is fraught with misinformation, misquotes, innacuracies... he is a Keith-Olbermann-permanent-hard-on type, legendary Duke hater.

You believe what you want to believe, Broy, you are just jealous.

I told you before I can produce a rather recent Duke graduate, varsity athlete, debate you at Humphries in front of "all" re: your baloney about Duke sociology. Bets can be placed. He will bring facts, what will you bring?

He was THERE. Knew JJ, etc.

(Actually, though, you will be happy to know that the last 2-3 yrs they have succumbed to the pressure and loosened their academics a bit, note the recent rise in Duke's football prowess. For a long, long time, they could not get 70 kids that were football athletic "types" that would last more than one semester. Because there was no place to hide)

I told you before I can produce a rather recent Duke graduate, varsity athlete, debate you at Humphries in front of "all" re: your baloney about Duke sociology. Bets can be placed. He will bring facts, what will you bring?

He was THERE. Knew JJ, etc.

Clearly, he won't have an agenda equal in vigor to the UNC grad. I'm sure you'll get the straight scoop about the Duke program from a Duke grad.

Also, I love "randomly" placed quotation marks.

Who gives a ###### about Duke and their arrogant ass fans?

I am sick of reading about them on here.

The issue is that BRoy does not think Coach K is worthy, Coah K is not on his "acceptable" list.

Some of us say he is OK, though not spotless.

Who is?

(Oh, by the way, who cares what you think, you are arrogant as hell yourself, and ironically you would not get admitted into Duke, so you lose both ways)

[/b]

The issue is that BRoy does not think Coach K is worthy, Coah K is not on his "acceptable" list.

Who is?

(Oh, by the way, who cares what you think, you are arrogant as hell yourself, and ironically you would not get admitted into Duke, so you lose both ways)

Duke sucks. They are arrogant and they get all the calls. Their fans are almost as annoying as MB73's sentence fragments.

Last I checked this was billikens.com and I haven't seen a Billiken-related post in what feels like forever.

[/b]

Who is?

You were the idiot that brought Duke up in this thread so don't try to pass the buck to BRoy on this. Seriously, nobody gives a crap about your love for Duke.

[/b]

The issue is that BRoy does not think Coach K is worthy

again, you are the one that brought coach k into the discussion.

you are just flat out lying now above saying i said he was not "worthy". i said he was a very good coach. show me where i said he was not worthy as a coach? i agree i would not want him as a basketball coach because of his sociology shenangians and turning his head so boosters could give parents jobs but as a coach he is very good and i said so in this thread previously.

btw, you know that the duke sociology report was an espn special report a few years back. i posted the above link to only outline the issues that espn uncovered.

i couldnt care less what some duke grad says. how exactly would he prove that jason williams, laettner, boozer, avery, maggette, etc never got an academic pass with their sociology majors? was he their tutor that did their homework for them and took their tests or something to that effect?

i think brian is a hell of a poster and i look forward to his input and debate. to now find out his academic strength is in question is quite shocking. i would never have guessed he couldnt get admitted into duke. hell sheldon williams and william avery got admitted into duke. brian this doesnt say much for you. ;)