The streets

Well, I was admitted to Duke, so I guess my opinion carries more weight. And my opinion is that Coach K has more z's and ski's in his name than virtually all of my relatives, so he must be a stand-up guy.

Now can we return to Billiken basketball? Haven't the streets spoken any more since the initial post? (And did everyone know The Fountain on Locust got nominated for best bathroom in America? Coach is a regular. [Don't say that out loud too quickly, or the image will make you cringe.] How 'bout that for an extra edge for recruiting? And not a single restaurant from Raleigh-Durham on the list. 8) )

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts exactly. Every thread turns into the Board vs. Broy.

LeBRoy wouldn't have it any other way. He craves the argumentative attention that gets thrown his way. I'm starting to think one of the reasons he carries his little-engine-that-could cross is because it causes such a stir in some arguments. Most of the board can celebrate our improvement despite some growing pains. Most would love the chance to play and beat any national power. But not Roy. He likes to swim upstream.

You were the idiot that brought Duke up in this thread so don't try to pass the buck to BRoy on this. Seriously, nobody gives a crap about your love for Duke.

Brian: There was a discussion on various coaches, some posters pointed out that BRoy is overly critical of too many coaches, I agreed that Calipari is bad for NCAA & should be banned, though I pointed out that Broy does not even think Coach K is worthy of his blessing, so yes I brought it up, and Broy slimed Coach K again. Read the thread, douchebag.

I'm so sick of reading about Duke here. If I wanted to hear about Duke, I'd turn on ESPN between November and March. This is supposed to be my reprieve from Duke- pure Billikens and A10. It is obvious that Roy doesn't think the program is as clean as its reputation, which is probably true to an extent. It is also obvious that MB73 thinks Duke can do no wrong, even the lacrosse team. I know he's sticking up for them and I've had him on my ignore list for months. It's pointless.

My fiance got straight A's at SLU except for one class in 4 years: Honors Sociology her freshman year. She got a B+ and graduated with the dreaded 3.99 instead of a 4.00 and it haunts her to this day. Bash Sociology, Communications, and any other field of study all you want; every class varies from professor to professor and school to school. Sure, those aren't as challenging as something like Biology on the whole, but they both have a lot of people doing some impressive work and offer some challenging courses for students.

This thread was initially supposed to be a vehicle for some breaking schedule news and it's turned into a pissing contest about how clean Duke really is. Duke and its supporters can go piss up a rope. I'll care about that program when and if they are playing against SLU.

pistol, i am not whipping "sociology" the course. check my college transcript and it will show a "B" in sociology as well. i am only highlighting Duke's athletic pass through major created for coach K.

I'm so sick of reading about Duke here. If I wanted to hear about Duke, I'd turn on ESPN between November and March. This is supposed to be my reprieve from Duke- pure Billikens and A10. It is obvious that Roy doesn't think the program is as clean as its reputation, which is probably true to an extent. It is also obvious that MB73 thinks Duke can do no wrong, even the lacrosse team. I know he's sticking up for them and I've had him on my ignore list for months. It's pointless.

My fiance got straight A's at SLU except for one class in 4 years: Honors Sociology her freshman year. She got a B+ and graduated with the dreaded 3.99 instead of a 4.00 and it haunts her to this day. Bash Sociology, Communications, and any other field of study all you want; every class varies from professor to professor and school to school. Sure, those aren't as challenging as something like Biology on the whole, but they both have a lot of people doing some impressive work and offer some challenging courses for students.

This thread was initially supposed to be a vehicle for some breaking schedule news and it's turned into a pissing contest about how clean Duke really is. Duke and its supporters can go piss up a rope. I'll care about that program when and if they are playing against SLU.

Is it me or does every thread over 2 pages always completely off topic after the second page?

LeBRoy wouldn't have it any other way. He craves the argumentative attention that gets thrown his way. I'm starting to think one of the reasons he carries his little-engine-that-could cross is because it causes such a stir in some arguments. Most of the board can celebrate our improvement despite some growing pains. Most would love the chance to play and beat any national power. But not Roy. He likes to swim upstream.

bhayes, i do not thirst for a "little engine that could" program. i do desire a program that can rightfully boast to be above the norm for division one athletics on shortcuts, game playing, recruiting smoke, etc. i think slu has always been that athletic department. maybe not the pristine be all end all godly program, but above the norm. so when i see even a head turn in an effort to raise the on court perception, yes that bothers me. personally i think we CAN have it both ways. many think we cant. but i can still crusade for having it all. if it takes a year or two longer to happen that way, well i have been waiting since 1978 so i think i can deal with it.

Brian: There was a discussion on various coaches, some posters pointed out that BRoy is overly critical of too many coaches, I agreed that Calipari is bad for NCAA & should be banned, though I pointed out that Broy does not even think Coach K is worthy of his blessing, so yes I brought it up, and Broy slimed Coach K again. Read the thread, douchebag.

You have that title locked down after your "excellent" input in the world cup soccer threads.

pistol, i am not whipping "sociology" the course. check my college transcript and it will show a "B" in sociology as well. i am only highlighting Duke's athletic pass through major created for coach K.

Unsubstantiated.

You have that title locked down after your "excellent" input in the world cup soccer threads.

We lost to Ghana, tied Slovenia, beat Algeria 1-0 in OT. Tied England on a fluke goal 1-1. I said US soccer is sub-par, always has been.

Am I wrong?

Is it me or does every thread over 2 pages always completely off topic after the second page?

You're right. We should do a study and pinpoint the post that derails each long thread. Once we have the median thread-derailing post figured out, we can give up before it gets out of control, giving us the most enjoyable billikens.com experience possible.

Problem is, I just hate having too many of those little orange squares next to thread titles.

Unsustantiated.

of course it is. otherwise duke would be on probation. any smart coach would make sure it was unsubstantiated. that said, espn saw value in making a special report on "inside the lines".

so when i see even a head turn in an effort to raise the on court perception, yes that bothers me.

This is just my 5th year as a part of the Billiken faithful, but what I've seen since my arrival is a state of the art on campus facility, an increase in student attendence, an increase in skilled recruits, all of which have played a part in our increased national relevance. So the "on court perception" has certainly been raised.

If the only head turn you've seen is an allowance given to Majerus with respect to his roster thus far then this isn't even worth talking about because it seems you'll never recover from RM's recruiting to date. If you've seen other examples that keep you up at night worrying about the questionable future of SLU's reputation then let me know what I've missed.

personally i think we CAN have it both ways. many think we cant. but i can still crusade for having it all. if it takes a year or two longer to happen that way, well i have been waiting since 1978 so i think i can deal with it.

I would agree (with limited knowledge) that SLU has been the program, from a character perspective, you would want it to be in the past, but I just don't get what you have seen to suggest we are going in the wrong direction now. I think we have athletes of good character and intelligience, and a commitment to the program from the administration that we've never had in the past. I would be surprised if the athlete turnover over the next 3 years is 50% of what it has been since Majerus started. So if that is the only axe you are still grinding why not take your own advice and see how it plays out? If we aren't the program you want us to be in Year 33, maybe we will be by Year 34 or 35.

Holy ######, what a thread this has turned out to be.

The season cannot start soon enough.

We do have an irritating habit of getting off topic and dragging it out. This thread should end as there hasn't been a post on who the big time opponent might be since about page 3.

I would agree (with limited knowledge) that SLU has been the program, from a character perspective, you would want it to be in the past, but I just don't get what you have seen to suggest we are going in the wrong direction now. I think we have athletes of good character and intelligience, and a commitment to the program from the administration that we've never had in the past.

I hope you are right. Frankly, though, I still see the same Fr. "cheapskate" Biondi at the helm. In-season cutback on the chartered flights?? a head coach who publicly criticizes SLU and then refuses to do his coach's show?? Lack of guaranteed contracts for the non-men's basketball coaches?? Have we still not learned anything from Bob Guelker leaving "big time" SLU for a pay raise/guarantee. Heck, possibly SLU's best coach ever, Guelker, left SLU and went to SIUE to start a soccer program at a sleepy, no name school -- all because he wanted a little security and payraise for his family!! Yes, after 20 years at the helm, Fr. Biondi (the classic "bricks 'n mortar" President) finally got around to building SLU a new facility - Chaifetz. Yes, Fr. Biondi has more than SLU basketball to worry about but still I have to believe that most university presidents who have a commitment to the sports program (Chaifetz is more than men's basketball) would have found a way to act sooner.

As to the players, I also hope you are correct. Hopefully, the dormitory incident is over and will not cause problems to the team/players. If not, then it would be fair to question some of the character and intelligence of the players. Also, some of the departed players have not seemed to be guys of high intelligence - at least not with their dedication to studies and choices they made. BT basically flunked out. RC doesn't appear like he was college material - anywhere. JS did not seem to excell in the classroom. Not trying to trash current/former players but don't believe we say anything right now for sure.

Pistol: why so much hatred for Duke basketball? Please explain.

QUOTE (brianstl @ Jul 8 2010, 03:13 PM)

MB 73

We lost to Ghana, tied Slovenia, beat Algeria 1-0 in OT. Tied England on a fluke goal 1-1. I said US soccer is sub-par, always has been.

Am I wrong?

brianstl. 50 posts a day brianstl, suddenly silent. I await your reply.

I would agree (with limited knowledge) that SLU has been the program, from a character perspective, you would want it to be in the past, but I just don't get what you have seen to suggest we are going in the wrong direction now. I think we have athletes of good character and intelligience, and a commitment to the program from the administration that we've never had in the past.

I hope you are right. Frankly, though, I still see the same Fr. "cheapskate" Biondi at the helm. In-season cutback on the chartered flights?? a head coach who publicly criticizes SLU and then refuses to do his coach's show?? Lack of guaranteed contracts for the non-men's basketball coaches?? Have we still not learned anything from Bob Guelker leaving "big time" SLU for a pay raise/guarantee. Heck, possibly SLU's best coach ever, Guelker, left SLU and went to SIUE to start a soccer program at a sleepy, no name school -- all because he wanted a little security and payraise for his family!! Yes, after 20 years at the helm, Fr. Biondi (the classic "bricks 'n mortar" President) finally got around to building SLU a new facility - Chaifetz. Yes, Fr. Biondi has more than SLU basketball to worry about but still I have to believe that most university presidents who have a commitment to the sports program (Chaifetz is more than men's basketball) would have found a way to act sooner.

As to the players, I also hope you are correct. Hopefully, the dormitory incident is over and will not cause problems to the team/players. If not, then it would be fair to question some of the character and intelligence of the players. Also, some of the departed players have not seemed to be guys of high intelligence - at least not with their dedication to studies and choices they made. BT basically flunked out. RC doesn't appear like he was college material - anywhere. JS did not seem to excell in the classroom. Not trying to trash current/former players but don't believe we say anything right now for sure.

clock, you bring up good points here. Let's hope Biondi keeps the momentum of Chaifetz and RM rolling for men's hoops and beyond. We haven't been poised to succeed like this very many times, and I hope we don't figure out a way to blow it here.

You also make good points about our players. While we aren't running an outlaw program, we've had our share of questionable players in terms of academics over the years. We're no different than most D1 schools when it comes to that.

MB 73

Am I wrong?

Do you ever think people just might get tired of talking to you?

It wasn't those statements that made you a douchebag, it was the fact you were taking a personal joy in less than desirable result that made you a douchebag. I shouldn't have been suprised. You consistently prove yourself to be a douchebag on here.

MB 73

Am I wrong?

Also, you should ask one of the super smart Duke guys how to use the multiquote function on here. Most of us not smart enough to get in to Duke can figure out how to do it, but you obviously are not bright enough.

Also, you should ask one of the super smart Duke guys how to use the multiquote function on here. Most of us not smart enough to get in to Duke can figure out how to do it, but you obviously are not bright enough.

I gotta tell you, you are super-impressive.

Seriously.

"Multiquote function".

Wow.

Maybe if try real hard and do this 24/7 like you and have 7,500 posts, I will be able to do multiquote functions, too.

In the meantime, you should be in line for Leno, Letterman, CNN, a book or two, a mini series... ;)