Charges will not be filed against SLU players

i think ultimately the real purpose of a good basketball team is still to drive student enrollment not necessarily to fill seats. plus one could say that a good percentage of fans would also not come to games if they believe that the players on the floor are an embarrassment to the "SLU family" of alumni. so it could work either way.

personally if our players were not involved and it can be shown that this was a contrived exagerated hoax of sort by the "victim", then by all means our players should not be punished in anyway. however if it is believed that something indeed happened then i am with you and they should be punished and kicked out of school. i am far more in line with protecting the good name of saint louis university than the short term benefits of a very good team next year.

for as long as i can remember we (as in alumni and all the slu family) has been able to proudly state that saint louis university is above athletic shenanigans of any sort. the last thing i want to see happen is a question in the mind of anyone that saint louis university is no better than any other institution. we need to stay true to our past. if not, and we wrongfully turn our heads for the short term benefits of our basketball team, i believe long term that would hurt us more than help us.

Roy, I think this a bit of a stretch here. In my time at SLU, there were a few basketball players who were complete idiots and were in trouble around campus quite a bit. It wasn't front page headline material necessarily, but they were certainly no choir boys. There is one player who actions later in life were not a total shock to me. Send me a PM if you're looking for names, as I won't go there on the board. Also, don't forget the gambing ring being run by SLU baseball players in the '90s. That's about as bad as it gets short of violence, IMO.

We've had a nice record compared to many schools, but have our fair share of warts as well.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the lawyers on board, what benefit is there of a civil action against 2,3 or 4 young men, who have no earnings power at this time? Wouldn't a civil action most likely include the University for some sort of negligence on their part? If so, would this reduce the likelihood of a Student Judiciary Panel, since the University would not want to prejudice the civil proceeeding?

Prosecutors are subject to being pushed and pressured in different directions. Some say they are overworked and need/benefit by having the alleged victim's private attorney "help them" co-ordinate the evidence, witnesses, etc. and spoon-feed the evidence to them. Others say Prosecutors are lazy and need to have the private atty do much of the work for the Prosecutor and to remind the Prosecutor that even though no murder or more violent activities activities apparently were involved in this alleged act of violence and that this is still a serious charge and worthy of the State's limited resources on what would have been a high-stakes, high-profile case case defended against by one of the area's top defense attorney. Also, the apparent need to have counter pressure to the kids' attorneys who are pressuring the Prosecutor to not take the case while pointing all the holes in the case.

That makes sense.

Just for the record having worked in the circuit attorney's office I can tell you they are definitely overworked. But I can also tell you they are far from lazy and do a great job. They work hard for very little pay and a lot of days put in much more work than the high priced more glamorous defense attorneys.

(clock_tower I agree with you and am not arguing with you but sometimes the Prosecuting attorneys, and public defenders for that matter, get a unjustified reputation of being lazy and not caring. I just wanted to give them a little good pub for once.)

As an aside, I'm pretty sure there are at least three people on this board who graduated before their 21st birthdays. Although I'm absolutely certain that such a practice also reflects a degree of social immaturity that manifests itself in inappropriate behavior, including a 100 percent chance of underage drinking. :)

As an aside, I'm pretty sure there are at least three people on this board who graduated before their 21st birthdays. Although I'm absolutely certain that such a practice also reflects a degree of social immaturity that manifests itself in inappropriate behavior, including a 100 percent chance of underage drinking. :)

Make that 4 persons. Thank you for the 1818 credits in high school!!

That makes sense.

Just for the record having worked in the circuit attorney's office I can tell you they are definitely overworked. But I can also tell you they are far from lazy and do a great job. They work hard for very little pay and a lot of days put in much more work than the high priced more glamorous defense attorneys.

(clock_tower I agree with you and am not arguing with you but sometimes the Prosecuting attorneys, and public defenders for that matter, get a unjustified reputation of being lazy and not caring. I just wanted to give them a little good pub for once.)

+1

For the lawyers on board, what benefit is there of a civil action against 2,3 or 4 young men, who have no earnings power at this time? Wouldn't a civil action most likely include the University for some sort of negligence on their part? If so, would this reduce the likelihood of a Student Judiciary Panel, since the University would not want to prejudice the civil proceeeding?

She could benefit from a civil suit. If she were to win, she has 10 years to collect. Also, from what I hear from an individual who has sat on these panels, if this does go before the school panel and they were all drinking and had sex, they will probably be kicked oput of the school.

She could benefit from a civil suit. If she were to win, she has 10 years to collect. Also, from what I hear from an individual who has sat on these panels, if this does go before the school panel and they were all drinking and had sex, they will probably be kicked oput of the school.

EDIT: it was an individual who represented a male student who went before a panel and ended up getting kicked out for being intoxicated and having sex with an intoxicated female, they did not sit on the panel.

That makes sense.

I agree, particularly because Jennifer Joyce is a fellow SLU law grad. I'm sure she made the right decision.

Hopefully this matter will go away for you guys so you can confidently regain your holier-than-thou attitudes towards Mizzou.

EDIT: it was an individual who represented a male student who went before a panel and ended up getting kicked out for being intoxicated and having sex with an intoxicated female, they did not sit on the panel.

Wait a second. Do you want to retype this again?? Grounds for expulsion at SLU exist if one is intoxicated and has sex with an intoxicated female?? SLU's would have very few students left!! :) I admit that I would have been expelled under this standard. :lol:

Their "attorney" made it sound like he wasn't even there for questioning. So I'm not real sure why u all think defense attorneys were poking holes in the case.

Prosecutors are subject to being pushed and pressured in different directions. Some say they are overworked and need/benefit by having the alleged victim's private attorney "help them" co-ordinate the evidence, witnesses, etc. and spoon-feed the evidence to them. Others say Prosecutors are lazy and need to have the private atty do much of the work for the Prosecutor and to remind the Prosecutor that even though no murder or more violent activities activities apparently were involved in this alleged act of violence and that this is still a serious charge and worthy of the State's limited resources on what would have been a high-stakes, high-profile case case defended against by one of the area's top defense attorney. Also, the apparent need to have counter pressure to the kids' attorneys who are pressuring the Prosecutor to not take the case while pointing all the holes in the case.

Wait a second. Do you want to retype this again?? Grounds for expulsion at SLU exist if one is intoxicated and has sex with an intoxicated female?? SLU's would have very few students left!! :) I admit that I would have been expelled under this standard. :)

I agree, It is crazy but that's what happened. They were both drunk and the female said after the fact that she was not of sound mind to consent. It's just one instance but it happened. I too would have been expelled if the female had a change of heart the next day!!

I agree, particularly because Jennifer Joyce is a fellow SLU law grad. I'm sure she made the right decision.

Hopefully this matter will go away for you guys so you can confidently regain your holier-than-thou attitudes towards Mizzou.

Screw off. I dare you to tell Jennifer Joyce to her face that you think the reason she didn't prosecute was because she graduated from SLU.

I don't know who is the worst kind of MU fan. The kind like you that come on here and sometimes act friendly to SLU people and sometimes act like a complete ass or the people like Lerxst on the Tigerboard that have nothing but hate for SLU (and Catholics in general it seems) and make up ###### all the time. His latest post said Cody was rumored to have been involved. I must have missed your correction of that obvious lie when you responded to him with your classless Joyce comments.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-...message=7560698

I have no doubt that the city prosecutors acted appropriately in their decision. If they thought they could win a case they would, regardless of school affiliation.

I agree, It is crazy but that's what happened. They were both drunk and the female said after the fact that she was not of sound mind to consent. It's just one instance but it happened. I too would have been expelled if the female had a change of heart the next day!!

Well then the both of you are not TRUE SLU BILLIKENS according to some on this board. :)

Screw off. I dare you to tell Jennifer Joyce to her face that you think the reason she didn't prosecute was because she graduated from SLU.

I don't know who is the worst kind of MU fan. The kind like you that come on here and sometimes act friendly to SLU people and sometimes act like a complete ass or the people like Lerxst on the Tigerboard that have nothing but hate for SLU (and Catholics in general it seems) and make up ###### all the time. His latest post said Cody was rumored to have been involved. I must have missed your correction of that obvious lie when you responded to him with your classless Joyce comments.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-...message=7560698

I have no doubt that the city prosecutors acted appropriately in their decision. If they thought they could win a case they would, regardless of school affiliation.

I just pointed out she was a SLU Law grad. I'm sure she did act appropriately.

high school maybe...

My bet is she is thinking about going after the school.

Which is why you damn well better be good.

I just pointed out she was a SLU Law grad. I'm sure she did act appropriately.

MUTGR.

Edit your above post by deleting the word "just" and stop the innocent attitude. If you want to slam Jennifer Joyce, SLU, etc., then go for it. Just me a man about it afterwards.

My bet is she is thinking about going after the school.

No liability there. She could have a shot against the players, but I don't even think that is a good. A jury will probably feel she was a willing participant and now regrets it.

MUTGR, shows his true stripes. What a pr!ck. He seems disappointed in the outcome. Some of the Mizlosers were just poised, hoping for the worst possible outcome. Too bad.

Why dont we close this thread and delete completely?

Some have crossed the line... some of this is awful.

Immature individuals talking hoops, charters, Majerus, etc. = OK.

Arguing about the A-10 is one thing (by the way MVC would be better for SLU), but this subject should not go on.

Tough call... not sure how moderators can manage this... but this is serious stuff.... college kids involved can be hurt even further.

I was a little taken aback when I read this ignorant implication about Jennifer Joyce, but after noticing it was made by someone with MU in their name, well, let's just say I am not surprised. I have every confidence that she looked at the facts completely objectively. What makes you think her tendency would be to side with the basketball players? Not everybody is a basketball fan. Remember there was also a female SLU student involved in the alleged incident. You think if a female student was a victim that Joyce couldn't look at the facts objectively? Get real. I feel confident that she would go after anyone who inflicted a crime on the young lady. After the variety of scandals that your program has had over the years, would a possible scandal at SLU somehow make you feel better? If so, that is pathetic.