Charges will not be filed against SLU players

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because they have insufficient evidence at this time doesn't mean (a) that additional evidence won't be developed and (:D that nothing happened. It just means what evidence they do have at this time wouldn't be enough in the prosecutor's opinion to garner a conviction.

Just because they have insufficient evidence at this time doesn't mean (a) that additional evidence won't be developed and (:D that nothing happened. It just means what evidence they do have at this time wouldn't be enough in the prosecutor's opinion to garner a conviction.

True, but no one has shown any reason for Rick to "take action".

What do you mean by "it"?

At this point it doesn't look like anything happened.

Why should "action" be taken if they didn't do anything?

This certainly does not mean nothing happened, it just means the evidence is not there to bring criminal charges against these guys which I think a lot of people on here thought would be the case. It will be interesting to see how the University deals with these guys now. I am definitely relieved by this news, but would assume this is not the end of it.

True, but no one has shown any reason for Rick to "take action".

at stltoday.com today,

"SLU's policy on sexual assault says that "even if criminal justice authorities choose not to prosecute, the university can pursue disciplinary action." Such action could result in dismissal or suspension.

The policy defines sexual assault as "sexual contact without consent." The policy includes acts "committed either by force, intimidation or through use of the victim's mental incapacity or physical helplessness, including intoxication."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...A4?OpenDocument

i would say, assuming saint louis university lives up to the above policy, that if nothing else happens, the girl completely backed off her story.

Can someone please cut and paste the link, my work is blocking it for some reason. thanks

No charges -- for now -- in SLU sexual assault case

Kevin Killeen Reporting

[email protected]

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) -- St. Louis Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce issues a statement saying there is "insufficient evidence" to file charges at this time at this time.

St. Louis Police and Joyce's office have been looking into allegations that members of the Billikens basketball team sexually assaulted a 20 year old female student inside the Grand Forest apartments between 3 and 4 a.m. Saturday.

Three members of the men's basketball team were questioned in connection with the allegation, according to Clayton defense attorney John Rogers.

The circuit attorney says her office will continue to seek additional information , and if circumstances change, she will re-evaluate the case.

Copyright KMOX Radio

I was beginning to wonder if anything would come of this matter the longer it took to play out. Once the police had released the kids pending a determination by the DA I figured it was an iffy case. Of course they have to say they will continue to look for more info but they have to say that for PR purposes. The police clearly felt they had a good idea of what actually happened or they would not have passed it on to the DA after only 1 day. Would seem there was no other collaborating witnesses and it turned out to be a 3 against 1 with the boys apparently telling basically the same thing. Like I said, the police acted very quickly for there to be anything there of substance.

Why would RM or SLU take action? Well, if he has told the players not be out that late fooling around then that could be a team rule violation or if they were drinking - who knows - that could be a violation. As far as SLU is concerned they can do whatever they want regardless of the legal determination. We may not have heard the last of this matter as far as RM and/or SLU is concerned.

should whether or not RM takes action or not depend on the evidence or the actual circumstances?

I would bet RM will handle the situation appropriately.

at stltoday.com today,

"SLU's policy on sexual assault says that "even if criminal justice authorities choose not to prosecute, the university can pursue disciplinary action." Such action could result in dismissal or suspension.

The policy defines sexual assault as "sexual contact without consent." The policy includes acts "committed either by force, intimidation or through use of the victim's mental incapacity or physical helplessness, including intoxication."

i would say, assuming saint louis university lives up to the above policy, that if nothing else happens, the girl completely backed off her story.

If she backed off then the DA would have said so. My guess is the girl did not back off but simply could not back up her story. I do agree, SLU could still do something. If two of the kids are the ones who are transferring, then it becomes a moot point. There was some who thought the third kid was not actually involved.

at stltoday.com today,

I really don't think SLU is going to pursue any disciplinary action on the rape charge, because their is obviously no physical evidence. Now, if they are going to discipline them because of underage drinking, then they better get ready to sanction most of the student body/

I really don't think SLU is going to pursue any disciplinary action on the rape charge, because their is obviously no physical evidence. Now, if they are going to discipline them because of underage drinking, then they better get ready to sanction most of the student body/

Where was it reported that alcohol was involved?

Maybe the players are telling the truth and no laws were broken.

In any event this is a done deal as far as the DA is concerned. I suspect the DA thinks the players were wrongfully accused and made the state to put an end to this.

Where was it reported that alcohol was involved?

Just speculating about the drinking, obviously if they weren't drinking then that wouldn't be an issue either. My point is that if there are any sanctions coming from the SLU administration, I don't think it will be related to the rape allegations.

Sexual Assault is NOT necessarily RAPE..... a french kiss could be construed as "sexual assault" if one person is unwilling! This bantering of words is exactly what starts rumors.

Rick is not going to "take action" because, by doing so, he will be forced to disclose their identities and SLU won't do that.

SLU will be more than happy to let this story die.

I agree with what you just posted here, though I would add that if he determines it is necessary, Rick might "take action" internally. He could very easily make any players in violation of rules perform some sort of community service, and no one would know about it.

Just speculating about the drinking, obviously if they weren't drinking then that wouldn't be an issue either. My point is that if there are any sanctions coming from the SLU administration, I don't think it will be related to the rape allegations.

Nothing against you personally Big Bill, but all of the negative comments have been pure speculation.

At this point all we've had is an allegation and a prosecutor said there is not enough evidence.

Everyone is speculating.

We don't know if any players were drinking.

We don't know if anything at all happened at 3am.

We don't know if any players even had sex with this girl.

At those point, it is only fair to assume the players did nothing that would warrant Rick "taking action."

Sexual Assault is NOT necessarily RAPE..... a french kiss could be construed as "sexual assault" if one person is unwilling! This bantering of words is exactly what starts rumors.

Sexual assault involves intercourse. The french kiss situation you described is sexual abuse.