Timmerman Blog

kshoe

I think, NH, that once the classes have balanced out so that there are no more than four players per class and (hopefully) underclassmen will understand that they won't have to wait in the wings more than a couple of years while being on an NCAA-Tournament-caliber team with some national television exposure, there won't be nearly so many transfers out.

Exactly. +1.

Head coaches, in essence, provide opportunity and sell playing time. When you clear the roster and bring in 7 Freshmen, some will outperform others and earn more playing time. Everyone on this Board generally agreed that some would undoubtedly leave for more playing. When the general talk turned to names of individual kids whom we all cheered for over the year, no one wanted see the kids go. Reality is what it is.

Then this past year, RM did the same thing by bringing in another large class. Same thing happened.

BTW, one of the reasons so many kids came to SLU in the first place was the opportunity. No JRs and SRs to sit behind. Plenty of playing time. After giving it their best shot, the decisions to transfer are based upon the same thing. Now its the lack of opportunity and playing time with no improvement in sight. If our best players were leaving, then I'd be worried. Instead, the decisions are coming from the kids at the end of the bench and even after RM has tried to get some (JS) to stay.

Does anyone really miss BT or RC??

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As to your ridiculous comment on our new guard recruit, Mr Jett was graded at 90 on the ESPN ratings--the highest rating for any guard on our roster. The only other recruit we have that was rated at 90 or above is our newcomer Mr. Loe. He is big tough and played a big time schedule after high school at a post high school prep school. He has the potential to be a real contributor with that kind of size and background.

Out of the big 3 recruiting sites (Rivals, Scout, ESPN) ESPN has the lowest pedigree and is almost definitely the worst when it comes to recruiting information. But, I like how people only mention that site when talking about ratings with Jett, because it is the one most favorable in regards to his rankings.

Billikan,

If you had been paying attention you would have noticed that ESPN revamped their rating scale after the 2008 recruiting class so it is just silly to compare players' 2008 ratings and 2010 recruits' ratings.

I am very skeptical that Jett truly had an offer from Baylor at the time he committed to the Billikens. Keep in mind that Jordan apparently had offers from Texas Tech and Cincinnati according to some sources.

I will make either or both of these bets with people:

1) Jett does not start a game unless KM is hurt

2) Jett transfers before his four years are done at SLU

Jett appears to be a good finisher, strong and a good passer. But he also appears to be a poor shooter, which was an are JJ helped in last year.

I guarantee that Jett does not put up significantly (more than one point per game or so) better stats than JJ did.

Does anyone really miss BT or RC??

BT and RC did not have what it took mentally, they left on their own accord. I do not think they would have succeded at SLU. That said, I miss them from a talent perspective.

Out of the big 3 recruiting sites (Rivals, Scout, ESPN) ESPN has the lowest pedigree and is almost definitely the worst when it comes to recruiting information. But, I like how people only mention that site when talking about ratings with Jett, because it is the one most favorable in regards to his rankings.

Billikan,

If you had been paying attention you would have noticed that ESPN revamped their rating scale after the 2008 recruiting class so it is just silly to compare players' 2008 ratings and 2010 recruits' ratings.

I am very skeptical that Jett truly had an offer from Baylor at the time he committed to the Billikens. Keep in mind that Jordan apparently had offers from Texas Tech and Cincinnati according to some sources.

Jett appears to be a good finisher, strong and a good passer. But he also appears to be a poor shooter, which was an are JJ helped in last year.

I guarantee that Jett does not put up significantly (more than one point per game or so) better stats than JJ did.

Just curious on your talent evaluation of Jett. Are you basing all of your thoughts on his rankings on these other sights or have you actually seem him play? Not calling you out, I'm just curious as to why you threw two bets out there. Obviously you see something or have heard something that most of us have not.

Billikan,

RM wanted Jett last year but could not get him due to grades. Jett is 6'2" while JJ is barely 5'10". JJ had a good shot but he was no real pg. JJ is more the 2 guard in an undersized pg body. Not really sure these 2 guys compare. BTW, JJ never started a game either. JJ was a stop-gap or fill-in recruit. I questioned his signing at the time and am not at all surprised he is leaving now.

NH. Make all the predictions you want. In short, I trust RM's judgment over yours.

I really must ask, though, why the animosity toward Jett? What has he done? KC and RC replaced AM, AK and DM. In fact, they verbally committed weeks before it was announced that the kids would leave. Don't you recall that we had more kids than scholarships? I didn't read about animosity directed at them. Are you hoping Jett turns out bad and/or that he transfers b/c of your apparent emotional ties to JJ and JS?

Billikan,

Bottom line is that RM has wanted this guy for 2 years. You have to think he'll be able to contribute in a significant way at some point in his career. I'm guessing he'll never avg over 10pts but will drop dimes like a mad man.

On a related note, I believe he will win the Most-Often-Compared-to-Andre-Miller Award (a secret post-season honor handed out by Rickma), and thereby decrease the amount of time required to become intoxicated while playing the Billikens.com drinking game

I dont see how anything that has happened today would make you thing that things are looking "up". We lost two players, the 9th and 10th players to transfer in the last three years, a disturbingly high number.

We received a commitment from a not-so-highly-rated (I know that doesn't mean he is bad) PG who will most likely serve as a backup for at least two years.

I was looking forward to the team a lot more when we had everyone coming back from a 23 win season.

But apparently, obscene roster turnover is necessary to be "big-time"

The "obscene roster turnover" is secondary to growing pains, especially with large class sizes and being bottom-heavy in youth. This will start to fade and even out as the current sophomores get older. These guys want to play because they are decent players that want to contribute and win. These guys are not dumb either, they see the caliber of guys coming in and know that playing time will be harder to come by. These guys don't want to be role players in the current system - they want to be heavy contributors and will go elsewhere to find it. You have a few stars that are established and these guys aren't going away for awhile - the future is pretty clear.

Things are looking up for a few reasons:

1. Classes are being balanced by the its own devices.

2. We lost arguably the 9th and 10th players to more playing time - that means our team is getting pretty good and competition for playing time is reigning king (this makes everyone better and helps them develop and improve).

3. We gained a new JJ who will likely be more aggressive and create for the other players. I think this guy will get to the paint and make things happen. I suspect this will work better for the system and players we currently have and incoming.

4. The new JJ has hair consistent with a baller. Instant upgrade.

5. The usual suspects to the 23 win season are coming back and are getting a better supporting cast and possibly some of the usual suspects will be taking a supporting role to the new guys.

I am not sure how you came to this conclusion about Jett but I think RM has a better scouting report. RM has been chasing this guy for a year and a half - that has to tell you something. You are putting too much weight into the Scout, et al rankings. Jordan wasn't even position ranked or rated by Scout where Jett at least has a position rank. I am sure you have not seen Jett play more than most so I am pretty sure you have no more additional information to support your claim. I have a suspicion that both RL and neo-JJ will surprise you next year. That said, I am looking forward to next season more than ever.

Billikan,

You name the price for number 1 and I'm game. Whatever amount you want to put up I'll match it. Jett will contribute more than JJ did and will start some games. He is a true point guard so it might not be fair to compare their scoring numbers, but he will put up better numbers in nearly every other category and possibly scoring too. I have talked to a couple of people who are well informed about this kid and supposedly he can play.

As far as the offer from Baylor goes, they have it listed on their rivals site that they have offered him. And, I know Iowa State had offered him before he went to the prep school.

Here's an interesting piece I found on Fox fom back in October...

THE HURD AT THE ND PREP

After my trip to Winchendon, I made the 20-minute drive down the road to see Notre Dame Prep.

Notre Dame Prep, as usual, is loaded with guards and athletic big men. Coach Ryan Hurd has Memphis-bound guard Antonio Barton (Will's brother) and Minnesota native Jordair Jett in the backcourt and guys like Cleveland Melvin and Providence commit Ron Giplaye up front.

The always quotable Hurd has been raving about Jett lately, but the Levance Fields look-a-like didn't suit up due to bronchitis.

"He's strong and attacks the rim," Hurd said. "He's a great passer and sees the floor well. He has a body to play as a freshman, but he needs to work on the mental aspect of the game."

Marquette head coach Buzz Williams was down to see the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Jett last week, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee was in attendance and able to evaluate his chair-sitting skills on Thursday. Baylor and St. Louis has both offered scholarships, while Seton Hall, Rutgers and UMass have expressed interest.

Billikan,

I read just about every post on this and Nate's board and I don't remember anybody ever saying that.

I know an NBA scout once told you you had a good eye for talent so you'll have to forgive the rest of us for believing that RM and the coaches have a better idea of what kind of improvement Jett will be over JJ than you do.

Wow, miss a day... miss a lot. Not too surprised by Jon Smif leaving. Think it was suggested he and JJ were good friends. Would they transfer to same school? My guess is JS ends up in the MAC w/ OU, Miami, or BG (they might have liked what they saw), but purely speculation on my part where he goes. The high transfer rate has probably more to do with the imbalance in class sizes than anything else and especially since we're so young. JJ and JS were looking at another 2 years of pine riding instead of just one. Who knows they may have stayed had it been just for one year. Neither can complain they didn't get a chance this season to establish their bona fides as for frosh they both played significant minutes at times. As for Jett, who on here can really judge? He played for a big time prep school and is a big kid at 6'2". The fact he received offers from BCS shools should at least point to strong D1 potential. Let's not knock him until we at least see him on the floor. Another good day to be a Bills fan, although am sure there are a few who see the transfers as being bad for the program. Get over it and start enjoying what this staff is doing to raise SLU from the perpetual muck of mediocrity we've been in since 1997.

In other SLU shake up news, NH has been named head coach of the basketball program. BRoy will join him as his assistant and Backhand will take over as strength coordinator.

When the good father was questioned, he replied "these changes in staff will get us the most talented players, make sure they all play equal mintues and be ripped like the Ultimate Warrior."

In other SLU shake up news, NH has been named head coach of the basketball program. BRoy will join him as his assistant and Backhand will take over as strength coordinator.

When the good father was questioned, he replied "these changes in staff will get us the most talented players, make sure they all play equal mintues and be ripped like the Ultimate Warrior."

I stopped posting for a while because it seems every time I do, something like this happens but if they are willing to take me as head coach I will accept in a heartbeat. The first order of business is renewing Justin Jordan's scholarship.

Joe_Davola,

YOu are absolutely right to question my judgement on Jordair Jett. I have not seen him play. All that I have done is read internet stuff by people I don't know, so you are correct in questioning me. But that is basically all anyone else has done either.

Whoever said we had more people than scholarships, we only had one more player than scholarship, yet four people left.

RM knows what he is doing and I don't think he isn't. I might disapprove of it, but he is going to do it and probably get results. He knew what he was doing when he took Jordan last year and he knows what he is doing when he takes Jett now. But, remember when Jett transfers that I was the first one to say he would.

I read just about every post on this and Nate's board and I don't remember anybody ever saying that.

I know an NBA scout once told you you had a good eye for talent so you'll have to forgive the rest of us for believing that RM and the coaches have a better idea of what kind of improvement Jett will be over JJ than you do.

I know there is no way JJ had offers from those schools, but they were reported by some sites, I will try and find a link for you if I can. I don't think I am a better talent-evaluator than RM because I am not an idiot.

I am not sure how you came to this conclusion about Jett but I think RM has a better scouting report. RM has been chasing this guy for a year and a half - that has to tell you something. You are putting too much weight into the Scout, et al rankings. Jordan wasn't even position ranked or rated by Scout where Jett at least has a position rank. I am sure you have not seen Jett play more than most so I am pretty sure you have no more additional information to support your claim. I have a suspicion that both RL and neo-JJ will surprise you next year. That said, I am looking forward to next season more than ever.

My point about scout wasn't that it proved he was bad, it was to show that I thought it was silly for people to cling to the espn.com report like it was proof of his skill.

You name the price for number 1 and I'm game. Whatever amount you want to put up I'll match it. Jett will contribute more than JJ did and will start some games. He is a true point guard so it might not be fair to compare their scoring numbers, but he will put up better numbers in nearly every other category and possibly scoring too. I have talked to a couple of people who are well informed about this kid and supposedly he can play.

I am contemplating how much we should do.

I stopped posting for a while because it seems every time I do, something like this happens but if they are willing to take me as head coach I will accept in a heartbeat. The first order of business is renewing Justin Jordan's scholarship.

Joe_Davola,

YOu are absolutely right to question my judgement on Jordair Jett. I have not seen him play. All that I have done is read internet stuff by people I don't know, so you are correct in questioning me. But that is basically all anyone else has done either.

Whoever said we had more people than scholarships, we only had one more player than scholarship, yet four people left.

RM knows what he is doing and I don't think he isn't. I might disapprove of it, but he is going to do it and probably get results. He knew what he was doing when he took Jordan last year and he knows what he is doing when he takes Jett now. But, remember when Jett transfers that I was the first one to say he would.

oh gosh, not that. You quit posting because people get sarcastic when disagreeing with you?

So what if Jett transfers. If he comes in and isn't good enough to get the minutes he thinks he should he might. Here's what we do know, JJ wasn't good enough to get the minutes he probably wanted.

I'm still wondering why players aren't bad when they decide not to renew their scholarship agreement, yet coaches are bad when they choose (or convince a player it's in their best interest) not to renew.

Billikan,

To say that JJ was a big time scorer is not true - he avg. over 18 mpg and scored 4.9pts per game. Did he help in scoring? - well if he had scored 1 pt per game you could have said that - averaged less then 1 3 pt basket per game played - he made 31 and played in 33 games. Now his ball handling was a little better then I had thought - he had more assists then turn overs so that is good. Honestly, I was not interested in his leaving but his size bothered me - he did not play over his size as KM does. I saw a Polk repeat in that area.

I think we are all worried about playing time and stuff like that, but I just think that its part of the game that you have 3 guys or so on the bench who see very little time all year. I don't know this for sure, but I would think that with a team like Duke, they have 3-4 bench guys who were high school stars, but just aren't at the same level as the rest(no offense to them or anyone who plays that role). I think that Jett is a good signing and you see now that teams with great guard play seem to go the furthest. Majerus and his staff are very good and I don't see them recruiting over people if they didn't think it would be better for the team. We have the class balance now, and that's good. I honestly think that we should crack the top 25 at some point next year. I think we could be one of the deepest teams in the A10,(at least guard-wise)...more thoughts later, maybe....

I dont see how anything that has happened today would make you thing that things are looking "up". We lost two players, the 9th and 10th players to transfer in the last three years, a disturbingly high number.

We received a commitment from a not-so-highly-rated (I know that doesn't mean he is bad) PG who will most likely serve as a backup for at least two years.

I was looking forward to the team a lot more when we had everyone coming back from a 23 win season.

But apparently, obscene roster turnover is necessary to be "big-time"

Until the team starts declining, I'm not sure how you can complain. I would certainly say that things are looking up. We've have all of the key players back from our most successful season in years, and some promising recruits on the way in.

I think, NH, that once the classes have balanced out so that there are no more than four players per class and (hopefully) underclassmen will understand that they won't have to wait in the wings more than a couple of years while being on an NCAA-Tournament-caliber team with some national television exposure, there won't be nearly so many transfers out.

Exactly, and thanks for helping educate NH. :lol:

Jett is a solid recruit, an upgrade, already played yr out of high school, they say he is a strong physical defender, not typical skinny freshman.

JS had potential but decided to move on; perhaps we will get 3* Majok-Majok, would be a freshman with some muscle, something rare for SLU, much needed.

Billikan,

A couple of things. NH is correct. Jordan was offered by Texas Tech and I think I remember hearing at the time that Cincinnati also came in late and offered him. http://wisconsin.rivals.com/barrier_noentr...p;mid=&rid=

That is not all surprising, as Jordan was and is a pretty good player. Where NH is way off is this business that Jett is not a highly regarded recruit. From what I can gather, Jett is clearly a more highly rated recruit than Jordan was and he was offered by Baylor. The other thing NH needs to stop is this business about Jett transfering. Stop that crap! You know some stuff, but sometimes you are way off. Need I remind you about when you took me to task for saying that Ellis would be immediately better than Smith and Remekun. We will be treated to a very dynamic backcourt over the next two years and Jett will be a part of it. Sit back and enjoy.

Remember when people worried about class balance? Here is how next year's team will look?

1 senior

4 juniors

4 sophomores (one redshirted)

4 freshmen

Shoe, who is the senior?

Billikan, based on your post in this thread ESPN ratings, I presume you think Jett is better than MM. Don't you remember the numerous references to the fact that MM's ESPN rating was given to him BEFORE his senior year, when he improved greatly-so much so that many talent evaluators now see that RM stole a recruit who many majors would now like to have?

I'm not questioning the fact that Jett is probably a very good player (if not RM would not have recruited him). WEhat I am questioning is the fact that there will not be many minutes of PT available for him next year and does he understand that. A minor question is the fact that he does not seem to fit the academics first approach that RM preaches. Hey, if he is as good as advertised and is willing to get minor minutes over the next year or two then great.

Shoe, who is the senior?

Billikan, based on your post in this thread ESPN ratings, I presume you think Jett is better than MM. Don't you remember the numerous references to the fact that MM's ESPN rating was given to him BEFORE his senior year, when he improved greatly-so much so that many talent evaluators now see that RM stole a recruit who many majors would now like to have?

I'm not questioning the fact that Jett is probably a very good player (if not RM would not have recruited him). WEhat I am questioning is the fact that there will not be many minutes of PT available for him next year and does he understand that. A minor question is the fact that he does not seem to fit the academics first approach that RM preaches. Hey, if he is as good as advertised and is willing to get minor minutes over the next year or two then great.

Paul Eckerle is the "senior." He's actually in grad school now and may not play a fourth year because of medical school, even though 2010-11 would only be his third year of playing.

How can people presume how the minutes will shake out before the players even get here? Jett may play more minutes than McCall, or vice versa, but we don't know yet. It's not a bad problem to have.

Paul Eckerle is the "senior." He's actually in grad school now and may not play a fourth year because of medical school, even though 2010-11 would only be his third year of playing.

How can people presume how the minutes will shake out before the players even get here? Jett may play more minutes than McCall, or vice versa, but we don't know yet. It's not a bad problem to have.

Shoe's post seems to indicate that balance for next year's scholarship balance, otherwise he would have included DY in his count.

You are right, I am making a presumption that MM is better than Jett, and that is based solely on reports about the two and the fact that MM is reputed to be an excellent outside shooter while I have seen no reports about Jetts shooting ability. Given our need to improve our 3-pt shooting ability, I see MM as a major addition to the team, while I view Jett as a "depth" addition.

Shoe, who is the senior?

I am very excited about MM and I think, based upon the reports of those who have seen him play that he could be a star at SLU before he finishes. I think he is, in fact, much better than the rating given him by ESPN at the beginning of the year.

As to Jett, the thing that intrigues me is his size and the fact that he played for a big time prep school against the top talent and he more than held his own. His team beat a number of the "name" prep schools and he scored 14 points a game while setting up his teammates. The Scouts Inc commentator says that "he is especially good coming off of ball screens (perfect for a RM offense) and he has a good shooting stroke both off the catch and off the dribble. Combine that with everyone's comments about how he is an excellent distributor and is tough and it seems like he could be a really good addition to this team. He will have to play his butt off to get big minutes this coming year but who knows what might happen. I really think that these are two of the best guard recruits we have seen in years other than KM who, along with Willie, was the key recruit to the entire RM era--in terms of his very important first recruiting class, at least to this point. This is a potentially very talented basketball team. Wow, am I excited!!!!!!!!!!!11