Porter Moser

NH

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

then slu better gotdamn well do it. i think it would be quite surprising how many of our current and projected players were sealed by porter. somebody's got to play good cop to majerus' towel shitting cop.

The worst thing anybody can do is do something that they feel pressured into. Right now we do not have any schollies open for the 2011 recruiting class so we do have some breathing room if we have to hire a new person. Everybody was wringing their hands when Biancardi left but Harriman has really filled that bill. Panic is the enemy - make decisions thoughtfully and when you want to is how you are successful. By the way, I know Porter has been the lead recruiter but maybe he does great getting into the door but he needs RM to close the deal. Brad could get into the door but was not capable of closing a deal. Who knows but if SLU really wants to keep him then fine but don't do it in a rush.

Frank is saying they are most likely going to offer the job to Moser but if SLU told him he is the next head coach of the Bills when RM retires he will no doubt stay.

Then do it. He knows RM's system, can recruit, knows the kids that will be playing for the next 2-4 years. C'mon take a page out of X's book and assure him he's the man. We don't need another charter flight issue with RM and Fr. B. Hopefully, we see the light here and convince him to stay.

The worst thing anybody can do is do something that they feel pressured into. Right now we do not have any schollies open for the 2011 recruiting class so we do have some breathing room if we have to hire a new person. Everybody was wringing their hands when Biancardi left but Harriman has really filled that bill. Panic is the enemy - make decisions thoughtfully and when you want to is how you are successful. By the way, I know Porter has been the lead recruiter but maybe he does great getting into the door but he needs RM to close the deal. Brad could get into the door but was not capable of closing a deal. Who knows but if SLU really wants to keep him then fine but don't do it in a rush.

I think stability is the key here. Right now we should keep him. Cripes we're being mentioned as a top 25-50 team next year why frig it up?

I agree, but I think that is a given. We shouldn't do it unless were pretty darn sure we believe Porter is the guy

Not taking anything away from Porter... I like Porter, but I like him as an assistant coach. He obviously has recruiting ability but are we, as SLU fans, so starved for any coach with the apparent ability to recruit? Yes, Brad could not recruit, and Romar could not recruit the Midwest for SLU, but Spoon did a decent job recruiting - though he was a better coach than recruiter. RM will be a hard act to follow but are so convinced that SLU's head coaches will just not be able to recruit? Porter is not the only available coach who can recruit.

Also, Porter is a nice guy. He is friendly, he shakes hands, he is media friendly, he does the many things that RM does not like to do. Still, have we not learned from Brad Soderberg that our HC must be more than a nice guy. Brad never missed a radio show appearance, gave the job all he had, was a great role model for the kids, went to Mass every morning. Nice guys who bring us Obi Ikeafor are not acceptable.

If the requirements for our next job really come down to continuity and recruiting contacts, then why not hire Chris Harriman? After all, he is also on staff and he is the one who helps us get CS, CE and now Rob Loe. These guys may - or may not - turn out to be better than what Porter has done, will do.

We need to hire the right guy. Turning to the assistant coaches and wanting so badly us to be like Xavier is not the recipe for success.

Like the Vermeil - Martz example. Another example of the apparent need to plan in advance: Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.

Not taking anything away from Porter... I like Porter, but I like him as an assistant coach. He obviously has recruiting ability but are we, as SLU fans, so starved for any coach with the apparent ability to recruit? Yes, Brad could not recruit, and Romar could not recruit the Midwest for SLU, but Spoon did a decent job recruiting - though he was a better coach than recruiter. RM will be a hard act to follow but are so convinced that SLU's head coaches will just not be able to recruit? Porter is not the only available coach who can recruit.

Also, Porter is a nice guy. He is friendly, he shakes hands, he is media friendly, he does the many things that RM does not like to do. Still, have we not learned from Brad Soderberg that our HC must be more than a nice guy. Brad never missed a radio show appearance, gave the job all he had, was a great role model for the kids, went to Mass every morning. Nice guys who bring us Obi Ikeafor are not acceptable.

If the requirements for our next job really come down to continuity and recruiting contacts, then why not hire Chris Harriman? After all, he is also on staff and he is the one who helps us get CS, CE and now Rob Loe. These guys may - or may not - turn out to be better than what Porter has done, will do.

We need to hire the right guy. Turning to the assistant coaches and wanting so badly us to be like Xavier is not the recipe for success.

Like the Vermeil - Martz example. Another example of the apparent need to plan in advance: Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.

I dont think that CE, CS and RL will turn out better than KM, MM, DE, WR, JJ. I honestly don't know how good of a recruiter RM is and I bet he turns off as many kids as he attracts. Porter is a dynamite recruiter, he has coached before and he now knows the area and the region.

I dont think that CE, CS and RL will turn out better than KM, MM, DE, WR, JJ. I honestly don't know how good of a recruiter RM is and I bet he turns off as many kids as he attracts. Porter is a dynamite recruiter, he has coached before and he now knows the area and the region.

Sure. All these guys coming to slu has nothing to do with the fact RM has coached a number of NBA players, most of whom were not big time players coming out of high school. Majerus can't recruit. He's just getting in porter's way. Let's get rid of majerus. What is the basis for saying that porter is a dynamite recruiter and, in the same post, saying you're not sure if the guy who rectruited several NBA players and the number one overall pick can recruit? That's ridiculous.

Guest BillikenReport

One of the main problems with not having a coach in place when Majerus retires is recruiting.

Rick's five-year contract will be up after Mitchell, Reed, Cassity and Conklin finish up their senior seasons.

The recruiting class that will come in the following season are sophomores in high school right now. So if SLU is recruiting a kid, they have to do it with questions surrounding who will be coaching the team when they get to campus. If a current high school sophomore wants to go to SLU and play four years for the Billikens, during that kid's senior year at SLU Majerus would be in his ninth year coaching the Billikens.

Majerus would also be 68 years old then.

Does anybody really think Majerus will spend nine seasons coaching at SLU?

So if SLU is recruiting sophomores and freshmen in high school, which the Billikens are and need to do to keep the program going strong in the future, those kids will want to know who will be coaching them and will that coach be around for their entire college careers.

You're not going to have much success recruiting those kids if you can't answer the question of who will be the coach. If you name a coach-in-waiting that will take over the program whenever Majerus decides to retire — whether that is in two years or four or six — you have something you can sell to recruits. That is why contract extensions for coaches are so important in college sports -- it's about recruiting as much as anything else.

If Moser isn't that guy, if the school doesn't think he'd make a good head coach down the road, then SLU needs to figure out who that guy is and put him in a position to succeed down the road. Otherwise you'll have a situation where whatever players are left may or may not fit in with the next coach, similar to what happened when Majerus was hired. Then you start the rebuilding process over from scratch. Again.

This is true. Xavier's an interesting case study. They have a great coaching lineage. Their success is not a coincidence with the coaches they've had over the years. That being said, it doesn't and won't work everywhere. When RM hangs things up, should Porter be considered, yes. Should he be given preference over other people? I don't think so. We need to see what other coaches are available. It'd be foolish not too.

First off, Porter Moser is awesome!

However, I think we need to have a 'wait and see' approach...Who knows who is going to be available when Majerus decides to hang up the black sweater...Why not go out and hire another 'big name' coach after Majerus? Hopefully by that time SLU will have some national exposure and will have a reputation as an up and coming program that 'high' (to mid level) profile coaches will want to further develop...

One of the main problems with not having a coach in place when Majerus retires is recruiting.

Rick's five-year contract will be up after Mitchell, Reed, Cassity and Conklin finish up their senior seasons.

The recruiting class that will come in the following season are sophomores in high school right now. So if SLU is recruiting a kid, they have to do it with questions surrounding who will be coaching the team when they get to campus. If a current high school sophomore wants to go to SLU and play four years for the Billikens, during that kid's senior year at SLU Majerus would be in his ninth year coaching the Billikens.

So if SLU is recruiting sophomores and freshmen in high school, which the Billikens are and need to do to keep the program going strong in the future, those kids will want to know who will be coaching them and will that coach be around for their entire college careers.

You're not going to have much success recruiting those kids if you can't answer the question of who will be the coach. If you name a coach-in-waiting that will take over the program whenever Majerus decides to retire — whether that is in two years or four or six — you have something you can sell to recruits. That is why contract extensions for coaches are so important in college sports -- it's about recruiting as much as anything else.

If Moser isn't that guy, if the school doesn't think he'd make a good head coach down the road, then SLU needs to figure out who that guy is and put him in a position to succeed down the road. Otherwise you'll have a situation where whatever players are left may or may not fit in with the next coach, similar to what happened when Majerus was hired. Then you start the rebuilding process over from scratch. Again.

^^Pretty close to post of the year, if not right at it.^^

Agree 100%...this is very important for recruiting. Two things that are important when a kid chooses a school to play at: 1) The school itself; 2) The coach. Like you said and others have as well, Majerus is old. He won't be around much longer with the Bills. Who are these kids signing up to play for when he is gone? That's a huge problem/issue with the recruiting.

Agree 100%...this is very important for recruiting. Two things that are important when a kid chooses a school to play at: 1) The school itself; 2) The coach. Like you said and others have as well, Majerus is old. He won't be around much longer with the Bills. Who are these kids signing up to play for when he is gone? That's a huge problem/issue with the recruiting.

Joe, I'd say you switch 1 and 2 for the reasons kids choose their schools, and you got it. There's a reason Calipari gets so many top players. He could recruit five stars and McD AAs to E. Bumf**k State College. The reason, his resume for getting guys into the NBA and other "ancilliary" benefits of playing for him. Read whatever you want to in that last factor. Hopefully, RM is fair to the school and won't leave abruptly like Spoon and Romar did. And recall when Romar pulled up stakes, there went Hollins as well. He'll tell Fr. B or whomever 2012 will be his last year so we'd better get a succession plan in place. They then hire his replacement, or keep PM, to serve one year as his AC and we move forward from there. The other alternative is to hire some big name guy, after RM gives his two week notice, who will hit the recruiting trail running and have few problems convincing kids coming to SLU. I like the first option better as it should help w the 2012 and 13 recruiting classes. Most players aren't coming here because we're a Duke or UNC. We don't have that kind of gravitas. Look at Brad for your proof. By 2007 he had a brand new under construction facility to sell, a solid respectable education, and a nice urban campus, yet he still couldn't decent players to commit. Also, I'd say our next HC should be much younger than RM. RM was brought in to build the foundation for a stong program. He did that at Utah but since he left Utah's not been the same. We've got to avoid this and the way to do it is the guy that really is responsible for bringing in the recruits is the guy who's in their face after RM leaves.

Yes. Porter coached previously - at Illinois State - a low level Missouri Valley school - and failed!!

As to JJ, I would not be surprised if he leaves for more playing time elsewhere. WR and KM are great players but I don't think Porter is the reason why KM is here. I always thought KM - like BC - was all Majerus. WR was considering SLU under Brad. No doubt Porter helped but I cannot say WR is all Porter. As to the Chicago kids. let's wait and see. Again, Porter was essential but cannot give him credit for it all.

And BTW, my Chris Harriman comments were abit tongue in cheek but not fully. Again, NH, why do you fail to give credit to the non-USA players??

Guest BillikenReport

WR and KM are great players but I don't think Porter is the reason why KM is here. I always thought KM - like BC - was all Majerus. WR was considering SLU under Brad. No doubt Porter helped but I cannot say WR is all Porter. As to the Chicago kids. let's wait and see. Again, Porter was essential but cannot give him credit for it all.

Moser was recruiting Kwamain early in Mitchell's high school career, so he was a big reason why Mitchell picked SLU.

“I was recruiting him at Illinois State," Moser said. "When I got this job, there were a number of kids we called on and got coach on the phone with. On his first two weeks on the job, we got Kwamain down for an unofficial visit.”

Willie Reed was recruited by Soderberg and Angres Thorpe, not Moser.

###### it lets get Coach K. :mellow:

i hate that guy. looks like the kind of guy you'd see at a barbeque in a turtleneck with a rolling rock and about two hours in, you'd be like "hold my beer, honey, i'm gonna kick this bastard's ass."

or as majerus says, "i'll bet he's the kind of guy that gets out of the shower to take a piss."

Guest BillikenReport

Willie Reed was recruited by Soderberg and Angres Thorpe, not Moser.

Correcting something from my earlier post ...

Was told by someone close to the team that Moser was one of the driving forces going after Willie Reed.

I had been told a couple years ago that Soderberg and AT were recruiting Willie before the coaching change, but apparently that was not the case.

Correcting something from my earlier post ...

Was told by someone close to the team that Moser was one of the driving forces going after Willie Reed.

I had been told a couple years ago that Soderberg and AT were recruiting Willie before the coaching change, but apparently that was not the case.

so it would have been impossible that thorpe and soderberg were recruiting willie while illinois state head coach moser was also recruiting him?

i am pretty sure rickma gave thorpe credit for recruiting willie that first season of rickma ball.

so it would have been impossible that thorpe and soderberg were recruiting willie while illinois state head coach moser was also recruiting him?

i am pretty sure rickma gave thorpe credit for recruiting willie that first season of rickma ball.

Roy, put down the Sodie flag. Its over my friend. I don't think Nate meant anything negative about Soderberg or his staff with his post.

Guest BillikenReport

I was told Thorpe was the lead recruiter for Willie after the coaching change, but Soderberg didn't recruit Willie.

It's not a big deal. I always thought Brad and AT were recruiting Willie before the coaching change, but I was wrong.

It's not a big deal. I always thought Brad and AT were recruiting Willie before the coaching change, but I was wrong.

Well in Brad's defense, he probably had too many double secret verbals to go out all willy nilly and recruiting more guys. I mean, you have to leave a few scholarships open for walk ons and managers...

Nate, your point is well taken, but I think it's more important to replace RM after he decides to leave with a big name coach. It might be that PM overwhelms the powers that exist at that time, but it also might be that the Billiken BB Program has advanced to the point of being able to shoot for the stars, at least a small star. I Hope we are so good by that point that being chosen will be very difficult.

I know that there are examples both ways, but KY didn't have any trouble recruiting without a known heir apparent to the dufus that got canned. JC didn't have much trouble rebuilding the program from scratch.