Porter Moser

NH

Apparently (according to a link on the front page), Porter has interviewed for the UWGB job. On one hand, I'd be glad for him. But I really wouldn't want to lose him, he seems like a superb assistant.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently (according to a link on the front page), Porter has interviewed for the UWGB job. On one hand, I'd be glad for him. But I really wouldn't want to lose him, he seems like a superb assistant.

This would hurt us if we lost him, but Porter deserves a head coaching job. I hope I don't sound too selfish, but I hope Porter stays here for another 3/4 years, puts in more work, and becomes the head coach after Rick hangs them up. I know I'm for SLU putting it in his contract that he becomes the head coach whenever Rick retires, but I know others are against it. I'm pretty sure Porter would accept that and not interview for other positions if that was put in his contract. I'm not holding my breath though...

This would hurt us if we lost him, but Porter deserves a head coaching job. I hope I don't sound too selfish, but I hope Porter stays here for another 3/4 years, puts in more work, and becomes the head coach after Rick hangs them up. I know I'm for SLU putting it in his contract that he becomes the head coach whenever Rick retires, but I know others are against it. I'm pretty sure Porter would accept that and not interview for other positions if that was put in his contract. I'm not holing my breath though...

Do you think that if he went to another job, he would take over at SLU when RickMa retired?

Do you think that if he went to another job, he would take over at SLU when RickMa retired?

I highly doubt it. There are so many things that would come into play, and I just can't see that happening. Here's to hoping that Porter stays. First we lose Biancardi with his impeccable double breasted suits..now we are possibly losing Porter. What the heck is this world coming to?

He will take Rick's job when he retires. He's there just for that reason. Rick's health hasn't shown to be very reliable. I don't think UW-GB is the right move for him.

I love Moser. The man is always smiling and waving to me and I've never met him - he has no clue who I am. He seems to work his butt off for recruiting too. He doesn't have the name to draw players in, but if he inherited the reigns at SLU, I think he'd be set as a premiere coach for the rest of his career. He'd have to wait longer and work harder at UW-GB to get to that level. I hope we throw out a reasonable raise for him as incentive to stay.

I'm not at practices but I think he probably plays a major role in coaching at practice, way more than most assistants, just because I can't see Rick having the intensity and physical mobility as your average coach at practice. Like I said I've never been to practice, but I think Rick steps back a little bit - and plays the "God the Father" kind of role - the wise voice from above whereas Moser is like the "God the Son" kind of role - he's one in the same with Majerus, but he's more directly involved in working with the players - he can physically demonstrate Majerus' message/strategy. I realize I'm missing the Holy Spirit, but Rack 'Em Willie (youtube it) can show you who takes on that role.

I think Semling will get the job. He's got a good basketball resume and he just won the Div III title with the UWSP Pointers. He'd probably be cheaper than Moser. And did you see UWGB's uniforms? I had better ones in middle school. I doubt they have a lot of money to deal out to a coach.

Here's to hoping somebody wises up and inks Moser to a long-term deal. While I'm not convinced that Moser is the X/O guy we want, I have no doubt that he will learn all that and more under Majerus, and he's already a hell of a recruiter. I definitely think the fact that Rick named him Associate HC speaks volumes to his position in the program. I also feel strongly that Moser is the guy we want to help move this program forward; however, I think it's a bit too soon to pass judgment on whether or not we would want him to be heir to the throne. If Rick had to, God forbid, resign tomorrow, then yes, I'd take Moser as the head coach. But I think as time goes on, the SLU job could open up to more seasoned and proven talent. Who knows? But I agree that Moser is not a coach you let leave easily.

Moser has recruited most of the kids on the roster. He has an eye for talent. I think he knew he needed to take a step back and learn from someone like Majerus after he was let go by Illinois St and I think Majerus lets him carry a significant coaching load. Majerus says he feels good but sometimes I can't believe he makes it all the way across the court. If Moser feels he has learned enough from the master maybe it is time for him to move on. If so Majerus needs to find a candidate similar to Moser, willing to learn from Majerus while performing duties befitting a head coach. Also we will need a midwest recruiting guru as the rest of the staff doesn't fit that bill.

Some other interesting names up for that job -

Brian Wardle - Most hated player on those Marquette, but a guy I would have killed for to be a Billiken

Jon Harris - Kid from Edwardsville who played at Marquette now an Asst to Cuonzo at Mo St.

Apparently Soderberg was asked to interview for this position as well. He turned it down?!?!?!?!? Said he owes to much to Lindenwood to even interview for another job so soon. I can't believe they asked him and I can't believe he wouldn't accept an interview. He is loyal to a fault. I guess he likes driving the Lindenwood bus around town.

That kind of clause would create too much politics. It would put Rick and Porter against each other a little bit.

What politics? I know for a fact he would love to take over the job. How would it put them against each other? If anything it would put Porter's mind at ease with job security? Right now if I'm Porter, I'm worried that if Majerus retires he isn't going to get the job.

What politics? I know for a fact he would love to take over the job. How would it put them against each other? If anything it would put Porter's mind at ease with job security?

This happens in college football every once in a while. It never ends well when a successor is named. Look at what has gone on at Florida St for the past few seasons.

He has the Associate title, hopefully we pay him well considering he is a former HC. When Majerus decides to hang em up and Porter is still on the staff he will be first in line for the job. If he is the right guy he will get it. No use muddling the situation by writing it into a contract.

absolutely. why limit yourself? why we may love porter he is not the end all be all to coaching here at slu. I think he should definitely be a candidate if hes still here but if he isnt the best candidate...we shouldn't hire him.

I've been thinking something would come along for PM, especially since we've been doing so well w/ Chicago recruits. You can't fault him for wanting to be a HC and if the UWGB feels right for him... good luck we've appreciated your time here. I'd like to see him stay as I think he's the point man in recruiting, at least in the US, and RM's energy unit, ie does the travelling, puts in the long hours, etc. The few times I've heard him interviewed he sounds likeable, knowledgeable, and professional. Sure hope he stays as he's literally only a heartbeat away from being our HC, but if he goes we'll survive. RM's got a lot of good contacts in the game and he'll find a good replacement. Who knows, maybe Biancardi comes back. On an aside, Purnell taking the DePaul job shocked a lot of people here in SC. They see it as a step down from Clemson and the ACC. I'm thinking Purnell is licking his chops to tap the Chitown talent pool and make DePaul a force in the BE. So, if we lose PM and his Ill connections, it's going to make it harder to bring in the Windy City kids.

I don't know if I'd call that loyalty on soderbergs part. His son just left a good d1 program to play for him. I don't think leaving lindenwood is an option for the next 2 years.

Moser has recruited most of the kids on the roster. He has an eye for talent. I think he knew he needed to take a step back and learn from someone like Majerus after he was let go by Illinois St and I think Majerus lets him carry a significant coaching load. Majerus says he feels good but sometimes I can't believe he makes it all the way across the court. If Moser feels he has learned enough from the master maybe it is time for him to move on. If so Majerus needs to find a candidate similar to Moser, willing to learn from Majerus while performing duties befitting a head coach. Also we will need a midwest recruiting guru as the rest of the staff doesn't fit that bill.

Some other interesting names up for that job -

Brian Wardle - Most hated player on those Marquette, but a guy I would have killed for to be a Billiken

Jon Harris - Kid from Edwardsville who played at Marquette now an Asst to Cuonzo at Mo St.

Apparently Soderberg was asked to interview for this position as well. He turned it down?!?!?!?!? Said he owes to much to Lindenwood to even interview for another job so soon. I can't believe they asked him and I can't believe he wouldn't accept an interview. He is loyal to a fault. I guess he likes driving the Lindenwood bus around town.

What politics? I know for a fact he would love to take over the job. How would it put them against each other? If anything it would put Porter's mind at ease with job security? Right now if I'm Porter, I'm worried that if Majerus retires he isn't going to get the job.

Vermeil and Martz - need I say more.

Good points, but there is also something to be said about kids considering schools where a 60 year old, overweight coach is currently running the show. They have no clue if he will be there the 4 years they go to school there. Since Porter is the man recruiting (most of the time), I think it would help even more when he tells these kids, 'Hey, I'll be here if/when Rick steps down, so you won't be hung out to dry, not knowing who your new coach will be. Something to think about...

Vermeil and Martz - need I say more.

Mike Martz is an egomaniac though, and has proven to get along with none of his bosses.

Porter is a helluva recruiter. He was let go at ISU way too early. He brought in one of the best recruiting classes in ISU history, which Jankovich turned into a couple NIT teams with his ###### scheduling. Oh well, ISU wouldn't know good basketball if it hit them in the face. Go Porter. If he can recruit to a hellhole like that, it would be amazing to see him recruit here as a head coach.

UWGB is one of the lowest paying jobs in The Horizon League, and not the easiest place to win. Haris and Wardle have been long time assistants there.

Purnell is a turn around coach. ODU, Dayton, Clemson,...but in 22 years has never had a team win one NCAA game.

Majerus and Moser can always leverage the interview with UWGB for an assistant coaching money raise at SLU.

Frank is saying they are most likely going to offer the job to Moser but if SLU told him he is the next head coach of the Bills when RM retires he will no doubt stay.

then slu better gotdamn well do it. i think it would be quite surprising how many of our current and projected players were sealed by porter. somebody's got to play good cop to majerus' towel shitting cop.

Frank is saying they are most likely going to offer the job to Moser but if SLU told him he is the next head coach of the Bills when RM retires he will no doubt stay.

I wouldn't do it unless I got an immediate raise and got the rest in writing. I don't think Biondi will do that.

If Porter leaves I bet RM will try to bring in Jim Crews as his new associate head coach. He was fired at Army and RM was talking him up about how good a coach he was and how hard it is to succeed at Army. I don't know if they could pay him enough, but RM would love to have him.

I wouldn't do it unless I got an immediate raise and got the rest in writing. I don't think Biondi will do that.

If Porter leaves I bet RM will try to bring in Jim Crews as his new associate head coach. He was fired at Army and RM was talking him up about how good a coach he was and how hard it is to succeed at Army. I don't know if they could pay him enough, but RM would love to have him.

Jim Crews would be a puzzling hire even as an asst. I'm in the camp that says I hope we convince Porter to stay even if it takes putting it in his contract that he's RM's successor.

then slu better gotdamn well do it. i think it would be quite surprising how many of our current and projected players were sealed by porter. somebody's got to play good cop to majerus' towel shitting cop.

I don't like the coach in waiting thing. I think it can end up causing more problems than it solves.

I don't think Crews fits the mold anymore of a lead recruiter type of guy.