Conference Expansion and Realignment

Notre Dame has a contract until 2016 with NBC.

ND may be forced to make a move to protect itself when it comes to its other sports.

Thanks, I wasn't sure when it expired. I have a hard time believing that would be renewed if Kelly doesn't elevate the program in a big way. Even if he does, that contract seems like the product of a bygone era in sports media. ND still has a more nation-wide fan base than most programs, but not to the degree it once did.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many teams does the ACC have - I don't think they have 12. 12 seems to be the key number when it comes to football so they can qualify for holding a championship playoff game - the NCAA requires 12 teams to do that. Why is this important? Well, I think the NCAA is going to go to some kind of a bastardized playoff system eventually and they will do so by first having the power conf. have a playoff game to determine the league champion which then automatically gives the NCAA a beginning of a playoff format - the rest will be worked out later My point is that the ACC would have to expand along with all the other power conf to do this and I think the BE would lose more football teams to the ACC. This idea of Temple going to the BE for football may be moot - they may end up in the ACC. The BE will cease to exist as we know it now but something will rise in its place the questions are will we be part of it or part of a new conf made up of some A10 and BE schools. The A10 can survive but they would have to pick up some lower tiered Eastern schools.

you watch, acc will also try to add the needed team to even it up and create the football playoff game.

Add St John's. Only one problem with this league, its too Catholic.

It probably won't happen, but this would be the best.

West

Creighton

SLU

DePaul

Marquette

Xavier

Dayton

East

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John's

Villanova

St. Joseph's

West

Creighton

SLU

DePaul

Marquette

Xavier

Dayton

East

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John's

Villanova

St. Joseph's

I like it. But, Majerus would hate it for same issues with travel.

Unless Kelly immediately returns Notre Dame to its glory days, that NBC contract isn't going to last forever and ND is going to have to face the music by joining a conference.

This is one of the biggest myths in college sports. The NBC contract pays Notre Dame roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of what every single Big10 school gets from their television revenue, regardless of playing on BTN, ABC, ESPN, etc. The University of Minnesota gets more revenue from their TV deal than Notre Dame. They would gain $, TV revenue wise, from a conference affiliation.

The reason ND stays independent is one of two reasons, depending on the camp.

The alumni would go batshit if they joined a conference and lose their traditional independence. Being at the mercy of 10-15 other schools would drive them crazy. They would be lumped in with what is viewed as lesser programs. Alumni mad=donations down, so on and so forth.

Or for the scheduling argument. Joining a conference would force ND to stop getting beat each year by service academies. Although they seem to be running out, as I don't think the coast guard fields a football team. Leaving room for a conference schedule would not allow them the flexibility to schedule, supposedly.

This is one of the biggest myths in college sports. The NBC contract pays Notre Dame roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of what every single Big10 school gets from their television revenue, regardless of playing on BTN, ABC, ESPN, etc. The University of Minnesota gets more revenue from their TV deal than Notre Dame. They would gain $, TV revenue wise, from a conference affiliation.

The alumni would go batshit if they joined a conference and lose their traditional independence. Being at the mercy of 10-15 other schools would drive them crazy. They would be lumped in with what is viewed as lesser programs. Alumni mad=donations down, so on and so forth.

Or for the scheduling argument. Joining a conference would force ND to stop getting beat each year by service academies. Although they seem to be running out, as I don't think the coast guard fields a football team. Leaving room for a conference schedule would not allow them the flexibility to schedule, supposedly.

Bingo.

A conference like that would definitely score a lot better TV deal than the current a10 sham.

I would assume any money generated by the athletic programs go into the AD budget, does anyone know for sure? I would think increased revenue from a major bball conference would allow for money to charter flights? Anyone?

West

Creighton

SLU

DePaul

Marquette

Xavier

Dayton

East

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John's

Villanova

St. Joseph's

.... and, also, hey, maybe the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders will perform at halftime of SLU games, gratis. :unsure:

I am more worried about beating Rhode Island, they are a quality club, we snuck up on them last time at home, this one is in their region of the world.

I disagree with this in many ways. For one, they definitely get more money from their contract because the conference takes some from the contract and then also splits it evenly to all the schools. If this were true then the tv deals with the big ten would have to be more than 12 times bigger then what notre dame has right now and you are claiming half, so that means 24x bigger. Also, notre dame gets all their own revenue from the tickets and bowl games. In a conference that would go to the conference and be split evenly.

On top of all that they have 7 home games and one neutral game and only 5 away games.

That is a whole lot more money then anyone else is making. There is no way they want to give up that independence for those reasons. The donations help, but they are making bank for those other reasons

.... and, also, hey, maybe the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders will perfrom at halftime of SLU games, gratis. :unsure:

I am more worried about beating Rhode Island, they are a quality club, we snuck up on them last time at home, this one is in their region of the world.

It sure would beat the hell out of the valley. :(

Are you sure about that (first paragraph)? That's news to me. My line of thinking was more along the lines of what showthebill just posted.

It probably would be a negative to the alums and their out-of-control pride, but we're 6 years ahead of the NBC contract expiring and the AD is using non-committal language about evaluating future options.

I disagree with this in many ways. For one, they definitely get more money from their contract because the conference takes some from the contract and then also splits it evenly to all the schools. If this were true then the tv deals with the big ten would have to be more than 12 times bigger then what notre dame has right now and you are claiming half, so that means 24x bigger. Also, notre dame gets all their own revenue from the tickets and bowl games. In a conference that would go to the conference and be split evenly.

On top of all that they have 7 home games and one neutral game and only 5 away games.

That is a whole lot more money then anyone else is making. There is no way they want to give up that independence for those reasons. The donations help, but they are making bank for those other reasons

Money from Notre Dame bowl games...don't think they'll be worrying about that for awhile. Besides that evens out when you send 7-8 teams each year to bowl games.

7 home games and 5 away games is a fairly normal schedule for a BCS football team, regardless.

The Big10 Network alone brings in 70ish million for the conference. They expect that number to grow big time over the next 4 years, follow closely, this is where the expansion comes in. If they can get a big fish to join the Big10, Texas and UND being the biggest, they can increase the Big10 Network revenue tenfold. The Big10 network would be on basic cable in every house in Texas as well as a lot of places around the country. At $0.75 a piece per month, that adds up quickly. The money from BTN would dwarf the ND on NBC contract. That doesn't include the money from the 1 billion/10 year deal with ESPN.

The Big10 schools make 21-22 million per year, just from tv. Each. Notre Dame's last contract that ran up in 2009 was worth 9 million. For just them. Don't know what the new contract pays, but it is less than the old one. ND ratings fell dramatically over the last contract.

I have posted way too much about ND today already.

Go Bills.

West

Creighton

SLU

Lipscomb Bisons

DePaul

Marquette

Xavier

Dayton

East

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John's

Villanova

St. Joseph's

100% agree...except a minor change

West

Creighton

SLU

DePaul

Marquette

Xavier

Dayton

East

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John's

Villanova

St. Joseph's

What a great basketball conference! This is the best one I have seen and should have a chance to become a reality. It's logical and geog. balanced.

What about Duq., St. B., Temple, Charlotte, URI, UMASS etc? They'll find a home-lots of conferences would welcome them.

OK

SLU

Dayton

Xavier

Marquette

DePaul

Creighton

Drake

Bradley

Butler

9 teams. Play everyone twice (16 games). Last place misses the conference tournament played at a neutral site (Kansas City?)

If you get Notre Dame to join...even better.

Iggy, In my opinion you nailed it.

What a great basketball conference! This is the best one I have seen and should have a chance to become a reality. It's logical and geog. balanced.

What about Duq., St. B., Temple, Charlotte, URI, UMASS etc? They'll find a home-lots of conferences would welcome them.

Temple has football and could possibly be a target for the Big East if they want to expand their football schools. Duq. and Bonawelding get left behind because they haven't shown enough commitment to get invited to my dream Catholic conference. UMASS and URI stick together, but not sure where they would go. Charlotte and Richmond could also stick together wherever they wind up. It's all so easy. B)

West

Creighton

SLU

DePaul

Marquette

Xavier

Dayton

East

Georgetown

Seton Hall

Providence

St. John's

Villanova

St. Joseph's

Yes and no. I assume with this it is a 16 game schedule - play home and home against your division and once against the opposite division. If you can get to the travel partners concept and play two games in three days (Thursday/Saturday, Saturday/Monday) SLU would only have to make two trips out East at most depending on the season.

Potential Travel Partners:

West:

Creighton/SLU

DePaul/Marquette

Xavier/Dayton

East:

Villanova/St. Joe's

St. John's/Seton Hall

Georgetown/Providence (I know this doesn't make sense but the other four fit well together)

Hey Chris May, go ahead and make this happen.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

Must have missed your post and was just commenting on Roy's, in case I appeared to be overly snarky :/

i readily admit i know and care very little about most bcs conferences and in particular college football. imo college football is boring. i would just as soon watch reruns of a marx brothers movie on saturday afternoons if forced to stay indoors on a fall weekend.

my comment was an opinion that all the bcs conferences want to put themselves in such a position. if the acc is already there one less conference shake.

i readily admit i know and care very little about most bcs conferences and in particular college football. imo college football is boring. i would just as soon watch reruns of a marx brothers movie on saturday afternoons if forced to stay indoors on a fall weekend.

my comment was an opinion that all the bcs conferences want to put themselves in such a position. if the acc is already there one less conference shake.

Absolutely. I could see the ACC sniping Big East teams though if that's the conference that will collapse. It'd be interesting to see how it all shakes out but theoretically you could look at 2 teams from the BE to the B10, 2 teams from the BE to the ACC, and 4 football/basketball schools with no home.

Temple has football and could possibly be a target for the Big East if they want to expand their football schools. Duq. and Bonawelding get left behind because they haven't shown enough commitment to get invited to my dream Catholic conference. UMASS and URI stick together, but not sure where they would go. Charlotte and Richmond could also stick together wherever they wind up. It's all so easy. B)

....and Fordham goes D 2 as it should!

They probably just stay in the Atlantic 10. There was an Atlantic 10 before SLU and Charlotte and before Xavier and Dayton.