Conference Expansion and Realignment

They probably just stay in the Atlantic 10. There was an Atlantic 10 before SLU and Charlotte and before Xavier and Dayton.

Good point. Siena, Iona, Drexel, Niagara and Vermont could be replacement targets if they want to try to keep the conference together.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many teams does the ACC have - I don't think they have 12. 12 seems to be the key number when it comes to football so they can qualify for holding a championship playoff game - the NCAA requires 12 teams to do that. Why is this important? Well, I think the NCAA is going to go to some kind of a bastardized playoff system eventually and they will do so by first having the power conf. have a playoff game to determine the league champion which then automatically gives the NCAA a beginning of a playoff format - the rest will be worked out later My point is that the ACC would have to expand along with all the other power conf to do this and I think the BE would lose more football teams to the ACC. This idea of Temple going to the BE for football may be moot - they may end up in the ACC. The BE will cease to exist as we know it now but something will rise in its place the questions are will we be part of it or part of a new conf made up of some A10 and BE schools. The A10 can survive but they would have to pick up some lower tiered Eastern schools.

Cheese, ACC has 12 schools. They have a FB playoff every year in ATL. I think getting to 12 and the playoff was why they expanded some years back. They're pretty pat I'm sure. What the Big 10 is after is expansion of their own TV network. That's why they may want to go to 14 teams. They could expand into the NY market with Rutgers or CT. They could get the Pitt market, although Penn State's pretty much put them there already. And adding ND speaks for itself, although not likely to happen. ND's not going to turn their back on NBC. The question is will NBC turn their back on them down the road. Which is why ND doesn't blink an eye when they buy out a coach's contract for mega millions. They're desperate to become relevant again in FB so NBC keeps them independent and RICH.

OK

SLU

Dayton

Xavier

Marquette

DePaul

Creighton

Drake

Bradley

Butler

9 teams. Play everyone twice (16 games). Last place misses the conference tournament played at a neutral site (Kansas City?)

If you get Notre Dame to join...even better.

This is close to what I would like to see as well.

Start with this an eight team league (it works well for the WCC). 8 private urban schools from the Midwest.

Bradley

Butler

Creighton

Dayton

Detroit

Drake

Saint Louis

Xavier

That league would send 2 to 4 teams to the tournament most years and we would only be splitting the NCAA Tournament revenue eight ways instead of 14 like we currently are. Also there would be less travel costs and playing each team twice would be a great opportunity to form some real rivalries.

Add Marquette and DePaul if the Big East implodes for a 10 team league. 10 is as large as I would go though. With 10 teams you can still play each team twice.

Bradley

Butler

Creighton

Dayton

DePaul

Detroit

Drake

Marquette

Saint Louis

Xavier

This way it doesn't matter if the Big East breaks up. If they do we are in a great position to add teams rather than worrying about being left behind and if they don't we are in a solid conference of similar schools that should last a long time and be competitive.

The article was on si.com

--------------------

The new BIG EAST: SLU, Xavier, Dayton, Butler, DePaul, Villanova, Marquette, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence

Pittsburgh, Cincinatti (from Big East), Mizzou (from Big 12) and to the Big 10 (making 14 teams)

West Virginia, Louisville, USF, Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse (from Big East) to the ACC (& ACC splits into North and South Divisions)

Florida State, Miami (from ACC) to SEC

TCU (from Mountain West) to Big 12 (filling Mizzou's hole)

***Note the divisions would be for football, optional for other sports

BIG EAST...............BIG 10 .......................ACC .............................SEC

-SLU......................*EAST DIV.................*NORTH DIV..................-same as before but Florida State adds to the WEST

-Xavier.....................-Purdue......................-Duke..............................-and Miami adds to the EAST

-Dayton....................-Michigan..................-Boston College................-14 teams in total with 2 football divisions just like Big 10 and ACC

-Butler.....................-Ohio State................-Maryland.........................Big 12

-DePaul....................-Penn St....................-UConn..........................-same as before but TCU is added to where Mizzou was

-Villanova.................-Michigan St...............-Rutgers.........................-still 12 teams and 2 football divisions

-Marquette................-Cincinatti..................-Syracuse

-Georgetown.............-Pittsburgh.................-Virginia Tech

-Seton Hall...............*WEST DIV................*SOUTH DIV

-St. John's.................-Illinois......................-Wake Forest

-Providence...............-Wisconsin..................-Clemson

................................-Minnesota..................-USF

................................-Iowa..........................-Georgia Tech

................................-Indiana......................-UNC

................................-Mizzou.......................-Virgina

................................-Northwestern.............-NC State

Its a lot of movement. But it makes sense to do it all at once instead of gradually. I'd like to see it happen by summer 2012.

It makes a lot of sense. Big East would lose a little spotlight, but its the most appropriate placement of teams that I can think of with as few moves as possible.

-Notre Dame would stay in the Big East and still play independent for football. Notre Dame is about tradition. I don't expect them to join the Big 10.

This would put the 4 major football conference at 14 schools (2 divisions) except for the Big 12 which would remain at 12 schools.