Tommie has NOT dropped out

Good move. Broy will blame RM for starting this because of his comment about "Janice not being happy." Wonder where that came from.

that makes no sense whatsoever. who is janice? are you insinuating i started the rumor? better reread the thread, i never started it.

I'm glad to hear that was just a rumor. I would like to think that most kids in his place would stay in school for a couple more months to finish their 4 years. Congrats TLIII on a good 4 years of basketball and a degree to go with it---something a lot of kids at other schools can't say!!

I assume that Andy Strickland's retraction is forthcoming?

What I would like to see is him becoming chief of police or mayor after he does his basketball thing; I grew up in East St.

Louis and it would be nice to see someone like TLIII with a clean record make something of himself and his city. We are

all proud of Jackie Joyner Kersee, Jimmy Conners, and other professional and college stars but too many moved to California after they hit the big time.

-i am lacking understanding here and would appreciate some help

-we had posters that have not in the past that i can remember post items that made readers think something happened or did not happen in regards a former player

-are people standing by the quotes of our coach that they posted?

-where did this all go askew?

-this is not the norm for this board as i see it and i would not like to see it become the norm

-just my opinion

My source, who told me yesterday and who is a Parent of one of the BB payers who is extremely close to the situation, said that he did drop out out but that SLU is trying to get him to come back.

Kevin Lisch said today that he hadnt heard from Tommie in a while, it didnt sound good but who knows?

Kevin Lisch said today that he hadnt heard from Tommie in a while, it didnt sound good but who knows?

I really hope he gets back in school or never dropped out. He's a good kid and very capable of graduating....fingers are crossed that he makes the right call. Not necessarily surprised he hasn't spoke with Kevin. If I had to guess, the fans aren't the only people that were disappointed in TL3's performance this year.

He is still at SLU.

Perhaps he came back after an extended break and when school started again after the Easter break, which would have been yesterday. perhaps my source just didn't know yet that he had returned after the break, but this parent would definately be in the know that he hadn't been attending school. When I asked it the rumor was true out Tommie quitting school, the answer was yes, and that SLU was workng hard to get him to return and finish his degree. I hope he did!

In the "News from Timmerman" thread, davidnark (of all people) had this post "DeSmet Billiken is a credible poster and said Majerus commented that Janet Oberle is disappointed about Tommie electing not to finish. Ms. Oberle is the assistant AD in charge of supervising " academic progress for student-athletes." Regardless of Strickland's credibility issues, I don't know how else to interpret that comment other than Tommie dropped out."

Now, try as I might, I can't see where DeSmet Billiken EVER said this, unless he said it to david personally and I was not privvy to that. Or I just missed it. I trust and respect both DeSmet and david as, as david says, "credible posters" but I don't understand where this came from. No official quote was ever given to Majerus saying that and yet, we have seen two threads blast off with comments on what basically amounts to unconfirmed rumors. Now we've got folks who are friends of folks who are supposedly parents of basketball players or someone relaying Kevin Lisch hasn't spoken to Tommie in months (which might actually be normal as opposed to not, who know) as our source of information.

I say we all get together in a room and stand in a line. Person #1 whispers in #2 ear and we pass it on. I'd love to see what comes out the other side of the room.

The bottom line is this ... tons of kids don't finish college when the bright lights of playing pro ball shines in their faces. They make their decisions for all sorts of good reasons (Kobe Bryant) and all sorts of bad reasons (Korleone Young). Deal with it. No one is right, and no one is wrong. Its freedom of choice.

Now some choices may seem stupider than others but its a personal decision. The problem with listening to "smart" folks is "smart" is a subjective term. What's smart to one is not smart to another. Or whats smart at a given time proves dumb in the long run. Do-do happens. Those that want to affix blame will. Deal with it and move on.

I still wish Tommie the best of luck no matter what and will always consider him a Billiken, even more so than I consider Hughes a Billiken. As I recall, a person is not considered ineligible for intercollegiate competition until final grades are in. So any fourth year, second semester senior only need to register to be eligible for their final semester of games. Once the second week of March comes, concerns about school can pretty much disappear. I heard of a similar story with Bobby Brannen when he did this very thing at UC.

Condemnation can and usually does have merits on multiple sides.

In the "News from Timmerman" thread, davidnark (of all people) had this post "DeSmet Billiken is a credible poster and said Majerus commented that Janet Oberle is disappointed about Tommie electing not to finish. Ms. Oberle is the assistant AD in charge of supervising " academic progress for student-athletes." Regardless of Strickland's credibility issues, I don't know how else to interpret that comment other than Tommie dropped out."

Taj, it should be the last post on this page: http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...16906&st=40

I know where it was david, I pulled it from there. What I still don't understand is when or how you cam to hear this from DeSmet Billiken. He didn't mention it on here so I am guessing that somewhere along the line --- in an email or PM or chance meeting --- he turned to you and said this because I can find him no where on here, other than your post, saying it.

I believe it was said, because of the credibility of both, I just don't know exactly where it came from and we've all seen the blowout over the rumor, real or not.

I know where it was david, I pulled it from there. What I still don't understand is when or how you cam to hear this from DeSmet Billiken. He didn't mention it on here so I am guessing that somewhere along the line --- in an email or PM or chance meeting --- he turned to you and said this because I can find him no where on here, other than your post, saying it.

I believe it was said, because of the credibility of both, I just don't know exactly where it came from and we've all seen the blowout over the rumor, real or not.

I commented about it on the first page of the "Banquet Stories" thread. It should be the third post in the thread.

I commented about it on the first page of the "Banquet Stories" thread. It should be the third post in the thread.

I don't get all the blowback from the 'rumor' discussion on this board...isn't it entirely plausible (if not even likely) that TL3 did take a break from school and consider leaving, thus the comments at the banquet and on this board, before ultimately deciding to return?

If that is the case, then no one fabricated the story or otherwise lied or stretched the truth. Good on TL3 for returning to complete the semester, and even for most on this board who showed concern for the person as opposed to the basketball player.

You commented -- I saw that. However, the name Janet Oberle wasn't sued until david used it in an attribution credited to you. That's what I couldn't find.

Nothing against you guys, but I found it interesting that we were all talking about rumors. Using a name directly adds credence to things, wouldn't you agree? So based on what is here, Rick Majerus stood up at the banquet and discussed Tommie and used Ms. Oberle's name out loud and in public, right? Everyone at that banquet had to hear this statement made by this man using this name? Short of an official press release from the school, an average person seeing the names and the attribution would believe that it is indeed true.

I do.

You commented -- I saw that. However, the name Janet Oberle wasn't sued until david used it in an attribution credited to you. That's what I couldn't find.

Nothing against you guys, but I found it interesting that we were all talking about rumors. Using a name directly adds credence to things, wouldn't you agree? So based on what is here, Rick Majerus stood up at the banquet and discussed Tommie and used Ms. Oberle's name out loud and in public, right? Everyone at that banquet had to hear this statement made by this man using this name? Short of an official press release from the school, an average person seeing the names and the attribution would believe that it is indeed true.

I do.

Taj, you now have me completely and entirely confused. DeSmetBilliken and I have not personally discussed the matter. He posted his summary of Majerus's remarks at the banquet in which Ms. Oberle's name was attributed. I merely posted Ms. Oberle's formal job description in light of such remarks.