"and remember, Lisch and Liddell are sophomores to me."

Guest BillikenReport

This quote is like a Rorschach Test.

The people who don't like Majerus will look at it and say how awful the coach is for saying it.

The people who like Majerus will look at it and say its not a big deal.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This quote is like a Rorschach Test.

The people who don't like Majerus will look at it and say how awful the coach is for saying it.

The people who like Majerus will look at it and say its not a big deal.

thinking about what nate says above, i can see that. nice comment nate.

i will say he is not an awful coach assuming coach means on the court and the ancillary steps to winning basketball games. i have never said that as far as i recall. rickma is going to win.

Another anecdote: I heard when the team went to Boston last year he bought a suit and proceeded to walk out of the store without paying. When an employee asked him what he was doing Majerus asked "do you know who I am." The employee said he had no idea who he was, but that whoever he was he still had to pay for the suit. Majerus stormed out telling the guy he would send someone back to pay for the suit. Apparently a student manager had to head to the store to take care of paying for the suit.

Majerus has never worn a suit in his coaching life.

Majerus has never worn a suit in his coaching life.

I did not realize Coach Majerus' wardrobe assistant posted on the board. I heard the story from the individual who had to return to the store to pay for the suit (it may have been slacks or something then, that was not a key point of the story).

ace, other than restate again my distaste of the revolving door and that i dont like his public comments about players, what "dirty laundry" did i air? those are all public already. i brought absolutely nothing new to the forum.

"i would love to win. but i would also appreciate treating people the right way. imo it is embarrassing some of the stories on the way rickma thinks is the right way to treat people around him. "

Just don't get what purpose your above comments serve. Not sure why you have taken it upon yourself to become the judge of RM's character. Still don't get the purpose of this thread. Even if you know stories, why are you alluding to them on the board? How is that helping the program? You haven't really explained what about RM's statement bothers you... if he had said something like, "these guys are seniors, you'd think that they'd get it by now".. then you might have something. Instead, it seemed to me like the Coach was protecting his players by making excuses for their recent poor play.

thinking about what nate says above, i can see that. nice comment nate.

i will say he is not an awful coach assuming coach means on the court and the ancillary steps to winning basketball games. i have never said that as far as i recall. rickma is going to win.

I like majerus as a coach, there are some things I disagree, mostly having to do with his recruiting, however I dont think there is anything wrong with what he said. Im fine questioning him, but not on stuff like this.

I wrote that with tongue placed firmly in cheek.

However, the Romar example works, as I think he could have won big or was on the verge of winning big (if by SLU standards). He was squeaky clean, treated every person he met with the utmost respect and kindness, built incredible relationships with his players, and knew how to recruit. I was talking with a buddy recently about what Washington would be like if he didn't have so many players leave early- the blessing/curse of getting the one-and-done guys.

Oh, and Dollar acted on his own (even though, I know, the head coach is in charge and will be at least partially blamed).

Romar hasn't won big, and he wasn't going to win big here. What ifs ... don't count.

maybe what Majerus meant to say is, "remember Lisch is the most overrated player of all time". That would have made a lot more sense. I believe the stat is something like when the game is on the line with 30 seconds or less Kevin has never been able to get a shot off. 0 for life. Being 5th on the SLU all time scoring list is like scoring a touchdown when you're down 42-0.

What I don't get is this: If Majerus is such a gigantic jerk, and everyone who has ever played for him has hair raising, negative stories to tell, how in the heck does he keep getting recruits to sign on the dotted line? The truth about Rickma probably lies somewhere in the middle between the naysayers and the sycophants. All I care about is that he can convince kids that he can win, and then coach them up when they get here. In my opinion he is well on his way. Roy, Rammer warned everybody when Majerus came on board that these our not going to be "our little Billikens" anymore. I'm sorry your passion is waning, but I think it's about time we had a big winner around here. Maybe you're not comfortable unless you are the biggest contrarian on the board.

What I don't get is this: If Majerus is such a gigantic jerk, and everyone who has ever played for him has hair raising, negative stories to tell, how in the heck does he keep getting recruits to sign on the dotted line? The truth about Rickma probably lies somewhere in the middle between the naysayers and the sycophants. All I care about is that he can convince kids that he can win, and then coach them up when they get here. In my opinion he is well on his way. Roy, Rammer warned everybody when Majerus came on board that these our not going to be "our little Billikens" anymore. I'm sorry your passion is waning, but I think it's about time we had a big winner around here. Maybe you're not comfortable unless you are the biggest contrarian on the board.

I'm going to have to agree with my fellow band member here. I find it absolutely ridiculous that you are going to claim that Majerus is such a jerk. There aren't a lot of coaches out there who care more about his players succeeding not only in the game of basketball, but life in general. He may be critical on his players with regards to their basketball, but in no way shape or form does he regularly cross the line like you seem to indicate. If there are members on this team, family members of players on the team, or just "concerned" fans who can't handle the high level of expectations that Majerus has for his players, they need to get off their high horses. In the past, when we bathed in the glory of mediocrity all these people complained. Now, when we have a big time coach who is trying to transform SLU into a nationally prominent program (exactly what people were crying for before) more complaints. What is it that you guys want. If you have heard through the grapevine that certain players find RM too tough on them or "rude" in practice they need to get over it as well. These guys are getting paid the equivalent of roughly $120,000 in scholarship. It does not have to be easy and you do not have to agree with your coach. What happens in the future when they don't agree with their boss at a job? They can whine about it or they can just accept it for what it is and work hard everyday.

Furthermore, what did you think you would accomplish by trying to make something out of a simple and accurate remark by Majerus about the team. In terms of Majerus' system, these players are sophomores because it is their second year in the program. If this offends the players (I reiterate) they really need to get over. If it doesn't bother the players then why do you care?

It's a shame that you are jumping of the bandwagon now because with the recruits coming in next year and the current class of freshman Majerus is building a machine that will put us on the College Basketball map. Just enjoy the ride man and please stop acting like a sophomore (in high school) yourself roy.

I don't think the comment is a huge deal. However, tact is not one of the strong suits of Majerus, as we've all seen to some extent by now. He does seem like a guy that would not be fun to work for or with, but that people are willing to take the bad with the good because of his knowledge and abilities.

A quick anecdote: I heard that he has a habit of ignoring cars ahead of his waiting at the gate to get in that new lot adjacent to the arena. He apparently just drives over the curb, sidewalk, and through the grass to get into the lot before any of them without using the key card entry. I guess a few people complained and he recently got a $100 fine for it. Of course, he gave his pal Larry a call and told him (I'm sure in the nicest way possible) that he would not be paying the fine.

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. . . .Just picturing him barreling through the curb makes me chuckle..

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. . . .Just picturing him barreling through the curb makes me chuckle..

Tonight a SLu student told me about how he was trapped at the airport without a ride. Rick MAjerus was also there and he gave the kid a ride back to campus.

Tonight a SLu student told me about how he was trapped at the airport without a ride. Rick MAjerus was also there and he gave the kid a ride back to campus.

Another great gesture by Majerus tonight came after the game when he came over in front of the student section and showed his appreciation saying, "You guys are great!"

Does no one else see the 800 lb elephant in the room? If not, I'll say it. Roy, believe you want to talk about Brad again WITHOUT DIRECTLY STATING IT.

Brad catered his entire offense around TL and KL and, even with IV, we didn't win that much. TL greatly improved his shot under Brad but that's about it. Without good games by KL and TL, we'd lose. No more - we are becoming diversified!! Don't get me wrong, without TL and KL this year, we'd get killed this year; however, tonight's game is a great example that RM is not interested in 2 stars but rather that his full team star.

Roy, no doubt the Lisch and Liddell families are not RM's biggest fans, and we know you are connected to the Lisch family. As previously discussed in other threads, it is likely that RM would not have recruited TL and that KL may have chosen to play for a different coach but RM is here to stay, KL and TL are playing great, our team is winning, top notch recruits are coming and yet the bitching continues. I, for one, believe that had RM recruited both KL and TL and had they played for him for 4 years (not just 2), they'd each be so much better than they even are today.

I take no offense with RM's comments.

I take no offense with RM's comments.

I've taken a few screen writing courses in my day. One of the techniques they preach is the use of sub text in dialogue. Basically, sub text is defined as not saying something on the nose but in a round about way. Broy's an expert at it when it comes to RM. Instead of just saying, "I can't stand RM and wish we'd never fired UB", he uses sub text to get across his message. This thing with KL and TL is just another example. The one mystery to me was Broy's constant mantra of "patience" with both Romar and UB, but his impatience with RM, who is finally building a program we will have some fun with down the road.

maybe what Majerus meant to say is, "remember Lisch is the most overrated player of all time". That would have made a lot more sense. I believe the stat is something like when the game is on the line with 30 seconds or less Kevin has never been able to get a shot off. 0 for life. Being 5th on the SLU all time scoring list is like scoring a touchdown when you're down 42-0.

NYB, What stat? Please do us a favor and cite it for us since you seem to be aware of it.

Question for you---how can you be aware of (make up) "stats", when you obviously did not even attend the premier home game last year---Xavier? Even if you are not old enough to drive to the games, you appear to be old enough to read and type. Could you not read about how KL put the team on his shoulders for the last 2-3 minutes of a game against an outstanding "X" team? Having watched many years of Billiken MBB, that was the best 2-3 minutes of play I have ever seen, and seems to destroy your "0 for life" "stat."

Your uninformed comment seems to imply that Kevin chokes in the clutch (can't even get a shot off). Have you not attended any games, such as last night's, where Kevin was all clutch, standing at the free throw line needing to make the shots and delivered?

Please take this cr@& somewhere else. Here's hoping you are never a Bill, Next Year-why not a Tiger?

there is more to my fanship than bottom line winning. i would love to win. but i would also appreciate treating people the right way. imo it is embarrassing some of the stories on the way rickma thinks is the right way to treat people around him. there is no reason our program cant be built and be successful and show common courtesy and decent human relations skills as well.

Roy, quit being ridiculous, he was only making the point that they were a " sophomore " in his system. Wouldn't you agree Roy, that a player who had played 4 years in a system, would understand that system better than a player who had only spent 2 years in that system?

Question for you---how can you be aware of (make up) "stats", when you obviously did not even attend the premier home game last year---Xavier? Even if you are not old enough to drive to the games, you appear to be old enough to read and type. Could you not read about how KL put the team on his shoulders for the last 2-3 minutes of a game against an outstanding "X" team? Having watched many years of Billiken MBB, that was the best 2-3 minutes of play I have ever seen, and seems to destroy your "0 for life" "stat."

Your uninformed comment seems to imply that Kevin chokes in the clutch (can't even get a shot off). Have you not attended any games, such as last night's, where Kevin was all clutch, standing at the free throw line needing to make the shots and delivered?

No Kevin does not choke in the clutch, but this year he has started the game choking and doesn't get settled down until the last two to three minutes of the game. I am waiting for him to have a complete game this year and show us all the Kevin we are used to seeing. If he is still hurting let him rest.

Although I know he would rather try to play through his problems.

No Kevin does not choke in the clutch, but this year he has started the game choking and doesn't get settled down until the last two to three minutes of the game. I am waiting for him to have a complete game this year and show us all the Kevin we are used to seeing. If he is still hurting let him rest.

Although I know he would rather try to play through his problems.

Dr55, agree with you that KL is not performing at the level of most of his first 3 yrs, (he also seemed to have a tough period last year), BUT to define this retrogression in his game as "choking" I believe is way out-of-bounds. I can't recall ever hearing of a player "choking" at the beginning of games---generally that's a term isolated to succumbing to pressure at the end, or at a key moment, during a game. Right now his shot is off, but he is not choking.

Dr55, agree with you that KL is not performing at the level of most of his first 3 yrs, (he also seemed to have a tough period last year), BUT to define this retrogression in his game as "choking" I believe is way out-of-bounds. I can't recall ever hearing of a player "choking" at the beginning of games---generally that's a term isolated to succumbing to pressure at the end, or at a key moment, during a game. Right now his shot is off, but he is not choking.

I will agree with your contention that KL is not choking per se. In fact down the stretch there isn't another player on our roster that I would want taking free throws with the game on the line. That being said, there seems to be much more to KL's sudden regression/slump/whatever you'd like to call it than poor shooting. Poor shooting may be the source, but in the past several games he seems to be letting his poor shooting and frustration effect other aspects of his game as well. As I have mentioned in the past, his court vision seems to be very poor this year. It is almost as if he is a half second behind the play when making decisions, and in the game of basketball, that split second makes a major difference. For example, when looking to get the ball inside or even to a man cutting out for a mid-range or outside jumper, the ball really hasn't been leaving KL's hand until the player reaches his spot. When facing quicker more athletic teams, the ball must be out of his hands just before the player reaches his "spot" so that he can take advantage of the positioning or spacing he has achieved. Part of this may have to do with KL having trouble gelling with the new guys, but whatever it is needs to be fixed. Also, in past seasons, KL has been very effective using penetration to open up opportunities for his teammates through great dishes. For whatever reason, when KL has decided to put the ball on the floor this year, he seems to not have a lot of purpose, buries his head, and subsequently finds himself surrounded by a swarm of defenders. A perfect example of this occurred with about 5 or 6 minutes to go in the second half last night. KM brought the ball across the time line and handed it off to Kevin on the left wing. Kevin then proceeded to dribble aimlessly for 30 seconds (with several players getting open at various times) before putting up a bad shot at the end of the shot clock. In a motion offense based on lots of picks, screens, roll offs, and cuts no one player should ever hold the ball that long. Also, when KL is given the ball during a full court press it seems to be an adventure at times. Finally, for the first time last night, KL's defense seemed to be off. His guy (I believe he was guarding Harris for a good part of the night) got far too many open looks. I'll forgive this one poor night of defense though, since up to this point it has been an anomaly. I just hope it doesn't become a trend.

KL is a key to our success in conference play, and I really hope he gets it together here shortly. His defense alone is worth a lot in every given game because he has proven to be able to grind it out against more athletic guys. He is a very talented and gutsy player, but for whatever he is playing very poorly right in many aspects of the game. Hopefully, if his poor play in other areas is being caused by his frustration at poor shooting, he will stop letting it affect his game. I would agree with the poster who suggested that maybe Majerus should pull KL from the starting lineup as a wake up call, but I'm not sure if that would really provide the spark in him like it did in TL last year (or McNabb using an example from professional sports). Furthermore, there really isn't anybody else at this point to be able to do that unless you want to go with a lineup of 3 bigs. Seeing the A-10 is a guards conference, that seems to be a terrible idea as far as defensive match-ups right away.

Let's just keep hoping KL gets it together and finishes his great career on a high note.

I was not really talking about that comment. I honestly could care less about that quote since I do not read it as being negative in the least bit. I am more just replying to some of Roy's comments concerning how he is less of a fan now because of things he has heard concerning Majerus. I am assuming Roy hears a lot of things being close with the Lisch family. I have other connections to the program and have likely heard similar things as Roy.

I think there is certainly a way to be successful and treat others with respect. Someone commented on Lorenzo Romar not being clean as whistle. Lorenzo Romar was one of the nicest and most honorable men I have ever met. He is an outstanding role model for anyone who has ever played for him. My problem with Majerus has nothing to do with whether or not he follows the rule book to the T, it is with regards to how he treats people and I would guess this is what Roy is saying as well.

Another anecdote: I heard when the team went to Boston last year he bought a suit and proceeded to walk out of the store without paying. When an employee asked him what he was doing Majerus asked "do you know who I am." The employee said he had no idea who he was, but that whoever he was he still had to pay for the suit. Majerus stormed out telling the guy he would send someone back to pay for the suit. Apparently a student manager had to head to the store to take care of paying for the suit.

Got it- I misunderstood. He's certainly a mixed bag as a coach, a lot of things I love about him, and some others I don't feel great about.

Couldn't agree more about Romar, and no matter what Skip says in his comments above, Romar was very much on the verge of putting together a special program here. I guess you can either believe that or not, but anyone close enough to the program knows it. I just wish he had been here long enough for everyone to see it happen.

Got it- I misunderstood. He's certainly a mixed bag as a coach, a lot of things I love about him, and some others I don't feel great about.

Couldn't agree more about Romar, and no matter what Skip says in his comments above, Romar was very much on the verge of putting together a special program here. I guess you can either believe that or not, but anyone close enough to the program knows it. I just wish he had been here long enough for everyone to see it happen.

I'm curious what would make you feel like Romar was on the verge?

I don't think benching KL is the right path. He's not playing well, but imo it's because he knows it and is pushing himself to hard and trying to make more happen than he should. I'm sure no one demands more from Kevin than Kevin. He needs to relax and just let the game come to him, for someone as competitive as Kevin, that's hard to do.

I'm curious what would make you feel like Romar was on the verge?

I don't think benching KL is the right path. He's not playing well, but imo it's because he knows it and is pushing himself to hard and trying to make more happen than he should. I'm sure no one demands more from Kevin than Kevin. He needs to relax and just let the game come to him, for someone as competitive as Kevin, that's hard to do.

I can agree with your point about KL's benching. That tactic works on some players, but KL certainly is the type of player that doesn't need something like that to push him. Also, your point about him pushing it and forcing things seems spot on.