OT: Favorite Online Destinations

Things are really slow right now, so I thought I would suggest a safe OT topic.

These days, I spend most of my online time that is not on this site at news.google.com. It provides an unbiased aggregation of local, national, and international news. urbanstlouis.com is a cool site for local urban redevelopment (and you might find a few of the regulars from this board wandering around). I have found dealcatcher.com a cool place to browse around if you are looking to spend some cash on a deal.

These days, I spend most of my online time that is not on this site at news.google.com. It provides an unbiased aggregation of local, national, and international news. urbanstlouis.com is a cool site for local urban redevelopment (and you might find a few of the regulars from this board wandering around). I have found dealcatcher.com a cool place to browse around if you are looking to spend some cash on a deal.

My vote is for Urbanstl.com. As a downtown resident I spent most of my time there as moforgov. Great site for new info on St. Louis development.

cbs.sportsline for fantasy baseball, we had to pay for the league in order to get online auction draft

realclearpolitics.com for editorials

wikipedia for everything

I spend most of my online time looking for music.

I like to read pitchforkmedia.com for the newest album reviews. Hype Machine is another good place to find new music. Basically it is a collection of music blogs with mp3 downloads.

digg.com - cool variety of articles and links. somewhat techie slanted

rotttentomatoes.com - all you need for movies. great unbiased rating system

saucemagazine.com - if you like to eat at restaurants in St. Louis this is required

drudgereport.com - always find something to peek my interest linked here

The first thing I check every morning is woot.com

They sell one item a day until it's sold out. It's usually electronic related, but not always. It's a cool site.

For urban schtuff:

www.urbanstl.com

www.urbanreviewstl.com

www.ecoabsence.blogspot.com

www.vanishingstl.blogspot.com

www.stldotage.blogspot.com

www.skyscraperpage.com

For news:

www.stltoday.com

www.nytimes.com

www.npr.org

www.salon.com

For financial schtuff (for work):

www.wsj.com

www.kiplinger.com

www.bloomberg.com

www.marketwatch.com

www.money.cnn.com

Fun schtuff:

www.deadspin.com

www.wwtdd.com

www.allmusic.com

www.pandora.com

Google Image Search - Erin Andrews

I miss:

www.heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com

i read about 8 different message boards each day. of course i dont miss cbssportsline and espn. i check slubillikens daily. i read the belleville news democrat and stltoday on line and check the headlines at usatoday and fox news. i check out editorials daily at townhall.com.

nothing tops billikens.com.

I usually check out

www.rcuniverse.com great radio controlled anything stuff

www.theonion.com Brilliant satire and humor

www.drudgereport.com Great collection of link to everything

www.google.com I hate the owners but it is the best

www.usairnet.com Their launchcode wind prediction site is brilliant

www.radiotime.com A GREAT collection of online radio links for listening to talk shows or whatever 24/7

www.stlouisco.com check out the realestate info. There more info about you online than you'd care to know.

(county residents only)

http://www.avclub.com/

The Onion's AV Club (a sort of operating subsidiary without the Onion name involved- but it makes up the second half of each print edition and it's obvious they spun off) is absolutely essential reading for any enthusiast of cinema, music, books, TV, and pop culture in general, including comics and video games. It's as smart and funny as anything else you'll read online. I trust their reviews more than any other source. The AV Club doesn't have to worry about "taking it easy" on terrible films or albums that might have been produced by a studio under the same corporate umbrella as its own publication, like so many other newspapers, magazines, and websites. The AV Club also has the best features of any pop culture site I've seen.

These have mostly been mentioned already, but I also love the Onion and Pitchfork, though Pitchfork can get a bit pretentious. NY Times, STLToday, Cincinnati Enquirer, Chicago Tribune, Wikipedia, Facebook, and MSNBC are all also on heavy rotation, along with Yahoo! Sports for fantasy sports, Amazon to buy anything, and ESPN for no other reason than I'm used to the format more than other sports sites (but for the record ESPN annoys me to no end).

http://www.avclub.com/

The Onion's AV Club (a sort of operating subsidiary without the Onion name involved- but it makes up the second half of each print edition and it's obvious they spun off) is absolutely essential reading for any enthusiast of cinema, music, books, TV, and pop culture in general, including comics and video games. It's as smart and funny as anything else you'll read online. I trust their reviews more than any other source. The AV Club doesn't have to worry about "taking it easy" on terrible films or albums that might have been produced by a studio under the same corporate umbrella as its own publication, like so many other newspapers, magazines, and websites. The AV Club also has the best features of any pop culture site I've seen.

These have mostly been mentioned already, but I also love the Onion and Pitchfork, though Pitchfork can get a bit pretentious. NY Times, STLToday, Cincinnati Enquirer, Chicago Tribune, Wikipedia, Facebook, and MSNBC are all also on heavy rotation, along with Yahoo! Sports for fantasy sports, Amazon to buy anything, and ESPN for no other reason than I'm used to the format more than other sports sites (but for the record ESPN annoys me to no end).

For sports history/research/trivia for every player and team the absolute best site ever is www.baseballreference.com which is updated daily. You can even check box scores and play-by-play for every MLB game starting in 1957. Also, there are minor league records for the last 16 years. I can get lost there for hours at a time. There are also links to their mirrored sites for football, basketball and hockey. Great stuff!!

Guest BillikenReport

Another good website is

http://stlhoopsinsider.com/

I always check out www.stlhoopinsider.com and www.rameybasketball.com along with www.billikenreport.com.

Though that last site hasn't had enough good updates lately.

- Nate

ps: Thanks for the other links. I don't have time to check out all those sites, but there are definitely some good ones on this thread.