This Team

kshoe

Despite all the arguing over the past few months about styles, offenses, coaches etc. there are a couple things that should be obvious to all Bills fans at this point:

1) We have absolutely no inside presence. We are playing a 4 guard offense most of the game and occasionally play 5 guards. It is a brutal way to try to win games. We can't score effectively on the inside and we can't rebound the ball on defense. Last night we gave up 11 offensive rebounds while getting 3.

2) Without a penetrating point guard and big men that can score we are going to be limited to outside shooting all season. In games like Dayton where we make many of these shots we'll keep it close or win. In games like GW where we can't hit the broadside of a barn we are going to get beat badly. The stretch earlier in the season where we got blown out by Kent, lost to Sam Houston etc. was because we didn't shoot well. 4 of the last 5 games we shot well. There is no real way to change this fact. We can't get in the lane so we are forced to chuck it from the cheap seats. It will be a roller coaster the rest of the season.

3) The rest of the season should be about a) preparing for the future B) enjoying the two hours at game time c) recruitng and d) working towards getting ready to win 4 games in a row in AC.

3) The rest of the season should be about a) preparing for the future B) enjoying the two hours at game time c) recruitng and d) working towards getting ready to win 4 games in a row in AC.

I couldn't agree more. I am by no means saying we throw in the towel on this season (my throat hurts from all the yelling I did last night) but the best days will occur in next season and the seasons following.

All I can say is "in Rick I trust." He owes me no explanation. I can't see arguing with a guy who has a record like his. Genius? Well, in today's day and age, it seems everybody wants to put a moniker on someone. Starting with Chris Berman and taking off from there. I don't see how, for me, you can be a genius without some sort of national title which I don't recall Rick having but that's me. Now the Washington Post of Fox Sports has removed that title from his name? Good for them --- I suspect it will return. At least I hipe it does and at that point, there will be no living with the smug SOB. But at that point, I think we'd all say "he earned it." that's what I'm hoping for.

It's amazing how coaching foibles are cute and eccentric when that coach wins. Booby Knight. Freddie Shero. Al Maguire. Ray Meyer. Bob Huggins. Bill Belicheck. Joe Gibbs. But lose and eccentric and cute turn into arrogant and egotistic. Oh well .....

Why do I trust in Rick? Frankly, what choice is left? We've gone the local coach route and lost (Ron Coleman). We've gone the local coach/savior route (Rich Grawer) and despite early success, lost there as well. We went the rule bender route (Ron Ekker) and lost. We went with regional, home-spun legend (Spoon) and lost there although that was probably the greatest decade with Grawer's recruits and Hughes. We went with national level coach and assistant who came off a national title winning program (Lorenzo Romar) and lost there. Then we went to hard-working, Midwestern-raised, nose-to-the-grindstone guy (Brad Sodeberg) and that failed. What for heaven's sake is left? If this fails, I am sure we will keep at it ($80 million and a brand new arena means no D-III) but if a guy with as natioanl a rep as Majerus can't do it, you have to ask who or what can. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think a coach of this natioanl caliber would ever come to SLU. I'm not about to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I din't judge the last guy's tenure until four or five eyars in. I also believed Cheryl when she supported him after last year's efforts. I have come to the conclusion that he couldn't recruit much or at least judge whatever talent he was recruiting. I'll leave that at that.

For those espousing the fact that we've replaced one seven-footer with another, I can honestly say it doesn't work that way. Maybe at a UNC or a Duke but certainly not here at little Saint Louie Ewie. Ian frankyl was the greatest center in my history with the program. Hands down without a doubt. What his presence inthe middle did in regards to allowing others to do other things can never be really measured. Its like batting Albert Pujols behind Barry Bonds or Ryna Howard, not David Eckstein or Yadier Molina. Lynn Swann was good maybe even great, but what effect did having John Stallworth on the other side make Swann better. And vice a versa. Wes Welker was a nice player at Miami. Jabbar Gaffney was a nice player at new Englend. Bring in randy Moss and what happens?

kshoe and I rarely get along, let alone agree so I would be remiss if I didn't digress on some point --- and this one is "preparing for the future." Normally I'd agree with that statement. But as I sat int he stands in DC this past Thursday, I couldn't help but note to "jz" next to me that there was no real future out there. Lishc and Liddell and Eberhardt are the only three "returning" in my book (I think all the freshmen and sophomores will be gone although I did like what Anthony Mitchell showed in his brief appearance). Three seniors. Two of which Bob Ryan identified on PTI as being Rick's best players and "not liking the way he coaches." Yes, the incoming class looks like it could rival some in the greta Billiken decade but you never really know about recruits, do you (Tyrone Caswell, Tony Manual, Justin tatum, Lionel Simmons, Vashun Newborne, Tony Brown, etc., etc.)? Wasn't Claggs and Hmarks freshman year a five-win season? All I'm saying is ......

I think I'm starting to see the method to Rick's madness. Do I like it? From the human standpoint, no. But is that my/our main goal here? i don't think so. Cliches are what they are but there is an old saying about breaking some eggs to make an omelet. Eccentric or egotistical? Its kind of ike the question "can Rich Rodriguez drag Michigan kicking and screaming into the 21st cenntury of college football?"

For debate's sake, let's say that the "Majerus experiment" was a bad move and turns into an abject failure. Then what? WWYD? What Would You Do? Will the Horizon League take us?

Even if the RM era turns out to be a lemon, I now think SLU hoops has turned the corner towards creating a big time hoops program. The arena casts a large shadow both figuartively and literally. They didn't build it to draw crowds of 4,000, which is what a run of the mill mediocre program would achieve. The die was cast the day the first bulldozer made a cut in the ground. Biondi finally realized he needed to put a legit D1 program together that would put a**es in the seats, or else he was going to be throwing a lot of dollars into a bottomless pit. If RM ain't our messiah, someone else will be hired to fill that role. But it's way too early and foolish to be discussing that at this point in time. Give RM a chance. Too bad if you don't like his methods. It's not our rep on the line here, it's his.

Even if the RM era turns out to be a lemon, I now think SLU hoops has turned the corner towards creating a big time hoops program. The arena casts a large shadow both figuartively and literally. They didn't build it to draw crowds of 4,000, which is what a run of the mill mediocre program would achieve.

fyi, we havent averaged 4k in attendance in a couple of decades.

I would offer to disagree, Mr. 72. We have not turned the straw spindle once making gold. We have hired an architect, for sure, but I would offer that he hasn't torn the old builidng down yet, let alone gone into heavy construction phase. I think he knows he has two, maybe three decent players he can convert this year to take his message with him next year but he hasn't sold those three (okay, maybe two) on it. Without a carry-over, he esentially goes back to square one next year. Okay, he does it with his own horses in the barn but those wild animals have to be tamed to pull the beer cart behind them.

We have all had the discussion as to what makes a "big time hoops program" and I think we all agreed on the final, necessary ingedient ---- wins. I'm sure in oyur travels through Ohio, you've passed the Nutter Center off of I-675. Who plays there? Wright State. Big time hoops program? Not even close. If ever in suburban Dc ont he Viriginia side, check out the Patriot Center. Who plays there? George Mason. Big time hoops program? Nope. One year wonder? maybe. I will always admit to being the camp that wanted our own on-campus snake's den to play in and I'm all for that still. I don't care what kindo fdrain it is right now, I'd rather have that 90% full with 11,000 folks than over 50% emptywith the same folks at Savvis/Scottrade. And while I consdier that an advantage, one we've never had before, I don't think that is enough to boost us into a "big time hoops program." that takes talent --- which, if you believe what's being peddled on here, is something we don't really have.

Majerus is big time. So we should have an arena and a coach. Now we need the talent. Just like having Majerus alone couldn't be enough to get over the hump, neither can an arena. There is still the issue of talent. Maybe you don't need the same amount as before, but it is needed just the same. Those three items are not enough either. You still need team compatibility, stars and role players, attitude, luck, intangibles and so on. Well, now that I wrote all that out, maybe you are right and we have turned some proverbial corner. Without the investment, you can't really get there can you?

I'd still like an opinion on my question of WWYD? Majerus fails. Abyssmally. Who in their right mind looks at this program, this location, this legacy, this graveyard for coaches and --- even after a national name and figure like Majerus can't do it --- says "hey, yeah, Saint Louie Ewie is where I want to be." If Majerus succeeds and goes out with this his last stop, the two or threee guys on the bench are probably more than willing and will play the "continuation" card to keep the job should it be successful. But what happens if it isn't?

I would offer to disagree, Mr. 72. We have not turned the straw spindle once making gold. We have hired an architect, for sure, but I would offer that he hasn't torn the old builidng down yet, let alone gone into heavy construction phase. I think he knows he has two, maybe three decent players he can convert this year to take his message with him next year but he hasn't sold those three (okay, maybe two) on it. Without a carry-over, he esentially goes back to square one next year. Okay, he does it with his own horses in the barn but those wild animals have to be tamed to pull the beer cart behind them.

We have all had the discussion as to what makes a "big time hoops program" and I think we all agreed on the final, necessary ingedient ---- wins. I'm sure in oyur travels through Ohio, you've passed the Nutter Center off of I-675. Who plays there? Wright State. Big time hoops program? Not even close. If ever in suburban Dc ont he Viriginia side, check out the Patriot Center. Who plays there? George Mason. Big time hoops program? Nope. One year wonder? maybe. I will always admit to being the camp that wanted our own on-campus snake's den to play in and I'm all for that still. I don't care what kindo fdrain it is right now, I'd rather have that 90% full with 11,000 folks than over 50% emptywith the same folks at Savvis/Scottrade. And while I consdier that an advantage, one we've never had before, I don't think that is enough to boost us into a "big time hoops program." that takes talent --- which, if you believe what's being peddled on here, is something we don't really have.

Majerus is big time. So we should have an arena and a coach. Now we need the talent. Just like having Majerus alone couldn't be enough to get over the hump, neither can an arena. There is still the issue of talent. Maybe you don't need the same amount as before, but it is needed just the same. Those three items are not enough either. You still need team compatibility, stars and role players, attitude, luck, intangibles and so on. Well, now that I wrote all that out, maybe you are right and we have turned some proverbial corner. Without the investment, you can't really get there can you?

I'd still like an opinion on my question of WWYD? Majerus fails. Abyssmally. Who in their right mind looks at this program, this location, this legacy, this graveyard for coaches and --- even after a national name and figure like Majerus can't do it --- says "hey, yeah, Saint Louie Ewie is where I want to be." If Majerus succeeds and goes out with this his last stop, the two or threee guys on the bench are probably more than willing and will play the "continuation" card to keep the job should it be successful. But what happens if it isn't?

HERE HERE! I second that

Even if the RM era turns out to be a lemon, I now think SLU hoops has turned the corner towards creating a big time hoops program. The arena casts a large shadow both figuartively and literally. They didn't build it to draw crowds of 4,000, which is what a run of the mill mediocre program would achieve. The die was cast the day the first bulldozer made a cut in the ground. Biondi finally realized he needed to put a legit D1 program together that would put a**es in the seats, or else he was going to be throwing a lot of dollars into a bottomless pit. If RM ain't our messiah, someone else will be hired to fill that role. But it's way too early and foolish to be discussing that at this point in time. Give RM a chance. Too bad if you don't like his methods. It's not our rep on the line here, it's his.

I share your optimism. With the type of investment that was already being put into the program - $70-$80 million or however much Chaifetz will cost, it shouldn't be that surprising that they also upgraded from a Sodie-type coach to Majerus. The extra $500,000 or so/annually that it cost is not much in the grand scheme of things when you are investing so much in infrastructure. And even if Majerus is not here long, I agree with you slu72, someone else will fill that role. A corner has been turned. And as flawed as the A-10 conference is, teams from this league can do well. Look at how many are in the Top 25 or close now. It's not like Wright State or even George Mason for that matter. How many teams from those leagues ever crack the Top 25? No, this job is not UCLA or one of those kind of programs, but it has enough to offer to attract a good coach who will be able to recruit.

Majerus is big time.

Majerus became big time because he won big, year after year. Once you start making headlines for offensive futility and becoming the butts of jokes coast to coast you're "big-time" because folks are curious to see how low we go.

Now we need the talent.

Whatever the talent level, player development is a necessity. When your star players stagnate, so does the team. When your star players regress, so does the team. When the star players are subjected to childish mind games, your program is in trouble.

I'd still like an opinion on my question of WWYD? Majerus fails. Abyssmally. Who in their right mind looks at this program, this location, this legacy, this graveyard for coaches and --- even after a national name and figure like Majerus can't do it --- says "hey, yeah, Saint Louie Ewie is where I want to be."

If the Biondi/Chaifetz parternship is financially committed to the program (not just to Majerus) in the longterm, there are still talented coaches out there with enough ego to step in and do a good job. Coaches like Kevin Stalling didn't bypass this job because of a lack of tradition. They bypassed it because of a lack of financial commitment and because recruits knew they would be sweating their asses off for the next four years in West Pine.

True enough, B'roy, we average 8,000 or so. But would even that continue if the program kept riding on the mediocrity train? Everyone complains about student attendance and hopes the arena is the answer. It definitely should help, but it's not the end all be all solution. A winning team is. Where a ticket to the event is a hot item. It creates buzz. I truly believe Biondi, with some nudges from major supporters, finally realized this last spring. Hence, the sudden abrupt mishandled departure of UB. Is RM the saviour? I don't know, but to think there is no one out there who can bring SLU to respectability is just plain wrong. The problem becomes keeping that person. That was the best thing about UB. I truly believe he would never have left SLU for a name job. He just didn't strike me as the type who'd move on simply for a bigger name, assuming we matched the $$$. Unlike Romar, because we did match UW's offer. We know that RM is at best a short term fix. Kind of like Parcells has been in the NFL. He ain't staying past his 6 year deal, and sometimes you wonder if he'll make it that long because of health problems or simply out of the sheer frustration of doing what's required to recreate a Utah type scenario. He was a young man when he took over Utah. Young guys trying to make a name for themselves are full of p**s and vinegar. Qutting's not an option for them. We can only hope that he still has this fire in his ample belly, and doesn't just up and one day say, "hey, I don't need this crap anymore. I got nothing to prove." I agree with Burwell and Earl, I don't think he'll do that. But if he's shown us one thing since his arrival at Grand, he's a complex man, so who really knows? But what up and coming small HC or big time AC wouldn't want the job? A magnificent new arena, playing in the best mid major conference, a high salary, and a now decent budget. That's got to be attractive to a lot of people. My point is, the arena is going to force us to find better than average or quick and easy (read on the cheap) HC candidates.

I share your optimism. With the type of investment that was already being put into the program - $70-$80 million or however much Chaifetz will cost, it shouldn't be that surprising that they also upgraded from a Sodie-type coach to Majerus. The extra $500,000 or so/annually that it cost is not much in the grand scheme of things when you are investing so much in infrastructure. And even if Majerus is not here long, I agree with you slu72, someone else will fill that role. A corner has been turned. And as flawed as the A-10 conference is, teams from this league can do well. Look at how many are in the Top 25 or close now. It's not like Wright State or even George Mason for that matter. How many teams from those leagues ever crack the Top 25? No, this job is not UCLA or one of those kind of programs, but it has enough to offer to attract a good coach who will be able to recruit.

I'm a little concerned since SLU has gone backwards in the past...Spoon to Romar to Brad. Romar was an up-and-comer, but certainly not of Spoon's stature. Brad, well I think he got paid less in his final year at SLU than Spoon did in his first year. I don't think Biondi would do it a second time after all of this investment, but then again I never thought he's do it after Spoon either.

Thanks thicks. Maybe subconsciously I was HOPING for Lionel and instead, of course, we got Larry. Partial credit? Got the last name right.

To Slumn 1: sure, you can think that. That would be the glass being half empty on Rick, right? I think its a fair question which means my extrapolation on the abysmal failure trend isn't that far fetched. I don't know that it would be "stubborn pride," I mean it could be. How about "crafting a plan and sticking to it"? I don't have all of Rick's stuff here but I recall a stint at Ball State and another at Utah. Were there more? I could look it up but it doesn't matter because I seem to recall him being successful at both of those. So he has done it before. Where's Ball? Muncie, Indiana? I don't know much about Muncie and I don't mean to put it down given where I come from but it would seem to me that if you can recruit kids to Muncie, how can you not recruit them to the great city St. Louis is? I've spent a lot of time in Salt Lake and the UofU is not only beautiful but boasts some of the most georgous female "scenery" I have ever seen. I once had a colleague in Utah, a grandfather deeply steeped in the Mormon Church, point this out to me and say "we grow 'em great out here." It wasn't as much sexist and it was proud. Some of the young ladies were his daughters and granddaughters. I've never been to Gainesville or Coral Gables but for my visits, going to Salt Lake ain't that bad. Rick succeeded there and by many accounts, he had to retool a number of teams over his time there. Of course, when does a proven system become a millstone? That's why I am curious to see what happens when this coach gets "his" players into the system. We cut the FRUBS that brreak for many years. I see Rick as one of those types of coaches you feel storngly about --- one way or the other with very little middle ground.

Finally, to threestar, I have to disagree on the "there are still enough coaches out there with enough ego to step in and do a good job" statement. I want to say "name one" but I know that is not fair at this juncture. But if Rick Majerus fails, I don't think he will go out quietly. He's not quiet now why will he be then? Which means the school has literally destroyed a living legend, a genius, a program builder and he will retaliate if only out of pride. My question would then be "if he can't do it, who can?" Which I asked above in the WWYD question. That, in my mind, would limit us to a very small pool --- about the best of which would be in a simplified version of Romar --- which alum is schooled enough in coaching to return to alma mater u. and take the program to whatever heights they can? I can see all the other top-flight assistants, the guys following in the footsteps of Brian Gregory, Kevin Stallings, Jimmy Patsos and Jason Capel going not no but "hell no" over this program. Coaches with ego might exist, but they would be coming in most likely after a fall ala Larry Eustachey, Booby Knight, Quin Snyder, etc.. I think coaches are alike in one way, they are all thinking "what can I do to get ahead" and many times, that involves where can I get ahead. Short of a personal calamity, a coach like Stallings or Crean or Huggins or Olsen would be fools to leave their respective BCS programs for our situation. Look at the Xavier guys ---- Gillen, Prosser and Matta all moved up --- to Big East Providence, ACC Virginia, ACC Wake Forest and Big Ten Ohio State. A couple more winnng seasons ---- heck even one this year --- and Sean Miller will be next. Although many times I get the feeling X fans would not shed that many tears to see Sean go.

In my tenure with the Bills, where did Randy Albrecht end up? Ron Coleman? Ron Ekker? Rich Grawer, Charlie Spoonhauer, and Brad Sodeberg? On the college coaches dung heap (argumetns on Spoon at UNLV are welcome and recognized). Only Romar moved "up" and that was because alma mater U. came calling.

I think WWYD is a serious question. We don't have to address it right now, but it is something that strategic planners might want to throw into the equation inthe proverbial "what if" scenario that folks morre steeped in this than I should know.

Just curious-could it be that Rick WAS big time and that the time away from coaching, his stubbord pride that says "my way is the only way" will prevent him from being big time again?

I really have no doubt that once he gets "his guys" things will work. If we have a big or two that can establish themselves at the high post and be effective, his offense will take on a whole new look. That's such a powerful position if the 4 or 5 knows how to play it. If he gets single coverage, he either backs down and uses post moves, or turns and hits the 15-footer. If the defense collapses, it's easy money to kick out for 3 or hit a backdoor cutter by passing over everyone w/ his height. If Bryce had more talent, you'd see it.

His way will work, but it won't work w/ you, me and the guys out on the court. We need players, same as any other team does. I love this group of guys, but they're not going to bring home the bacon, that's just the facts.

Thanks thicks. Maybe subconsciously I was HOPING for Lionel and instead, of course, we got Larry. Partial credit? Got the last name right.

To Slumn 1: sure, you can think that. That would be the glass being half empty on Rick, right? I think its a fair question which means my extrapolation on the abysmal failure trend isn't that far fetched. I don't know that it would be "stubborn pride," I mean it could be. How about "crafting a plan and sticking to it"? I don't have all of Rick's stuff here but I recall a stint at Ball State and another at Utah. Were there more? I could look it up but it doesn't matter because I seem to recall him being successful at both of those. So he has done it before. Where's Ball? Muncie, Indiana? I don't know much about Muncie and I don't mean to put it down given where I come from but it would seem to me that if you can recruit kids to Muncie, how can you not recruit them to the great city St. Louis is? I've spent a lot of time in Salt Lake and the UofU is not only beautiful but boasts some of the most georgous female "scenery" I have ever seen. I once had a colleague in Utah, a grandfather deeply steeped in the Mormon Church, point this out to me and say "we grow 'em great out here." It wasn't as much sexist and it was proud. Some of the young ladies were his daughters and granddaughters. I've never been to Gainesville or Coral Gables but for my visits, going to Salt Lake ain't that bad. Rick succeeded there and by many accounts, he had to retool a number of teams over his time there. Of course, when does a proven system become a millstone? That's why I am curious to see what happens when this coach gets "his" players into the system. We cut the FRUBS that brreak for many years. I see Rick as one of those types of coaches you feel storngly about --- one way or the other with very little middle ground.

Finally, to threestar, I have to disagree on the "there are still enough coaches out there with enough ego to step in and do a good job" statement. I want to say "name one" but I know that is not fair at this juncture. But if Rick Majerus fails, I don't think he will go out quietly. He's not quiet now why will he be then? Which means the school has literally destroyed a living legend, a genius, a program builder and he will retaliate if only out of pride. My question would then be "if he can't do it, who can?" Which I asked above in the WWYD question. That, in my mind, would limit us to a very small pool --- about the best of which would be in a simplified version of Romar --- which alum is schooled enough in coaching to return to alma mater u. and take the program to whatever heights they can? I can see all the other top-flight assistants, the guys following in the footsteps of Brian Gregory, Kevin Stallings, Jimmy Patsos and Jason Capel going not no but "hell no" over this program. Coaches with ego might exist, but they would be coming in most likely after a fall ala Larry Eustachey, Booby Knight, Quin Snyder, etc.. I think coaches are alike in one way, they are all thinking "what can I do to get ahead" and many times, that involves where can I get ahead. Short of a personal calamity, a coach like Stallings or Crean or Huggins or Olsen would be fools to leave their respective BCS programs for our situation. Look at the Xavier guys ---- Gillen, Prosser and Matta all moved up --- to Big East Providence, ACC Virginia, ACC Wake Forest and Big Ten Ohio State. A couple more winnng seasons ---- heck even one this year --- and Sean Miller will be next. Although many times I get the feeling X fans would not shed that many tears to see Sean go.

In my tenure with the Bills, where did Randy Albrecht end up? Ron Coleman? Ron Ekker? Rich Grawer, Charlie Spoonhauer, and Brad Sodeberg? On the college coaches dung heap (argumetns on Spoon at UNLV are welcome and recognized). Only Romar moved "up" and that was because alma mater U. came calling.

I think WWYD is a serious question. We don't have to address it right now, but it is something that strategic planners might want to throw into the equation in the proverbial "what if" scenario that folks morre steeped in this than I should know.

Actually Ekker (who deserved it the least) had a nice run with pro-ball. I recall some years ago watching a CBA League championship on TV and you guessed it, he was the coach of the champion team. Also, I think just before the coaching change last year with the Orlando Magic he was an assistant. Hard to figure. Not only he was a bad coach, he was sleazy and I believe he put us on probation. He must be in his mid to late 70's now.

I never understood why Grawer did not get back into the business. Maybe those last two years as a coach just burnt him out and made the AD of the Clayton School District look attractive. You would figure a place like SEMO or WIU would have loved to have gotten him.

Actually Ekker (who deserved it the least) had a nice run with pro-ball. I recall some years ago watching a CBA League championship on TV and you guessed it, he was the coach of the champion team. Also, I think just before the coaching change last year with the Orlando Magic he was an assistant. Hard to figure. Not only he was a bad coach, he was sleazy and I believe he put us on probation. He must be in his mid to late 70's now.

I never understood why Grawer did not get back into the business. Maybe those last two years as a coach just burnt him out and made the AD of the Clayton School District look attractive. You would figure a place like SEMO or WIU would have loved to have gotten him.

Is Grawer still doing camps? He was when I was in high school- graduated in 2001. I know he had at least one every summer at Forest Park CC.