Bright Side

SluSignGuy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time we lost by 40 was in 2000 in Cincinnati. What did do next? Go undefeated until the NCAA Tournament (Miracle in Memphis).

I love your optimism! For me, this was one of the most disappointing losses in the last 5 years. We were not playing a top team like Texas A and M on their floor after 3 days of games--even in the Pitt game we were at least competitive.

Something is seriously wrong and until I see more of the team I cannot pin it down. No team in the modern Billiken era has consistantly played so terrible in the first half of every game. I do not have any answers but I think the new recruits do not have to worry about getting a lot of playing time if they can understand and work in the system that Coach Rick wants to establish.

In the past, it always seemed we could find some excuse to lean on to ease the pain of a blowout somewhat. E.G., a key player was injured; the game came on the heels of exhausting tournament wins; it was exam week; the dorm was serving sloppy joes.... In this case it came out of the blue. I assumed they would be up for this one. They've come out slow for every game thus far. In this case it seems they got down even worse and lost heart; couldn't muster enough effort to play much defense at all. Every coach from Grawer until now has preached defense. You'd think the guys would have that as their top priority. My guess is RM will be emphatic in expressing his displeasure.

Agreed Billikan. We just lost by 40 to a team that lost to Detroit.

The most positive thing about this game is it's over. Put it behind us and move on. Billiken hoops is under reconstruction it won't be rebuilt this season and maybe not next year, but it's coming.

A SLU alum at the game reports that it was so bad, he used the politically-incorrect term of "retarded" in describing our team's display. Being married to a special education teacher, I admonished him for that remark but it still made me contemplate just how bad it must have been. Another comment was that the display was so bad, he spent halftime searching for a yellow Golden Flash t-shirt in order to blend in and avoid fan ridicule. Being unable (and disinclined) to do so, he comtemplated using certain bodily fluids on himself to achieve the "yellow" effect. He said the symbolism was appropriate enough for any fan of that team on the court. Worst of all, he reported laughter and general derision amongst the Kent State fan base, with constant checks to reaffirm this was the A-10, former CUSA Saint Louis and not some french guys in chain metal shorts trying to learn the game as they went.

As to the game's ending moments and lineups, he reported that two 6'10" or so "geeky Kent State guys" were eating Knollmeyer up and making him look like a clown. And he, for one, does not understand Majerus' overdisplayed like for Paul Eckerle.

I expected a loss. We don't do well on the road (documented enough in the Latsch and Timmerman items), there is no "rivalry" in this contest (Kent State Stole Jason Edwin So Let's Kick Their *ss" notwithstanding as a rallying cry) and Kent is favored to win their side of the MAC and returns a veteran lineup. But we got beat by more points than we scored! The FRUBS Point-a-Minute offensive system lives on! The line now appearing in the P-D story is "forget this year, although we might get it by February." WOW!

This was not a reality checkpoint in my overall view of things but the result is more shocking given the score as opposed to the loss. According to this same alum, Kent was shorter than us but played an aggressive, in-your-face style of man-to-man defense all over the court. Our lineup was outplayed and out-hustled. One would think that with our strong suit being ----- what was it, oh yeah, guard play! --- we could handle that.

Kan-do man will take my negativity to task. So be it. I really did think that this program would not provide anyone the opportunity to laugh and deride our team and its players ever again but I was wrong. Right now, the trend is towards the negative, slippery slope of average city, dullsville. Win at home (mostly) and struggle on the road. A10 road games in Richmond and La Salle become losses in this universe. Not good. Not good.

Bright side, eh?

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...008/game08.html

Statistically we were beaten in EVERY category. Except for total minutes played. Both teams played 200 minutes combined. Though that is debatable...

I like getting beaten this badly when we lose, because it's like it didn't really happen. It's just like some joke you heard during an opium dream.

Oh, and I correctly predicted the Peyton Jacks free throw. Way to go pey-pey.

Bright side, eh?

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...008/game08.html

Statistically we were beaten in EVERY category. Except for total minutes played. Both teams played 200 minutes combined. Though that is debatable...

I like getting beaten this badly when we lose, because it's like it didn't really happen. It's just like some joke you heard during an opium dream.

Oh, and I correctly predicted the Peyton Jacks free throw. Way to go pey-pey.

I know this was a terrible loss and a terrible effort - not sure why. All that being said, this is not a good Billiken team and will not be this year. Playing above 500 will be a challenge. A game like this is one that either send the team cascading downward or serve as a big wake up call. Lets see what happens on Sat. against Long Beach.

I know this was a terrible loss and a terrible effort - not sure why. All that being said, this is not a good Billiken team and will not be this year. Playing above 500 will be a challenge. A game like this is one that either send the team cascading downward or serve as a big wake up call. Lets see what happens on Sat. against Long Beach.

i am going to pray that last night was some sort of out of body experience or voo doo somthing or other or a mass flu pandemic etc. if not. cheese you are correct. last night's game would equate to becoming one of the bottom feeder schools in the a-10 that most of us b!tch about constantly. i assume someone will let us know when it's time to panic.

Why did SLU even play Kent State, a MAC team, on the road? What exactly did SLU have to gain from playing this game? This is not like a game against a marquee school. I would rather see SLU playing another MVC team (i.e. Bradley, Creighton), or another Horizon team (i.e. Butler), someone closer to home in which SLU would have a better chance to win, someone more familiar in which the chances are less that SLU gets blown out by 41 points, even if the opponent is really better than a Kent State.

I questioned when the schedule came out why an A-10 team was going on the road to play a MAC team. This isn't a rivalry game like Xavier at Miami of Ohio.

I'm too far away to really know, but I wonder if the Billikens have started playing like programmed robots, afraid to make a mistake. Maybe the answer is to loosen the reigns and let the boys play.

The Billikens must quickly put this one behind them. The next game is Saturday at home against Long Beach State, which should be a very winnable game for SLU.

What is it with playing on the road? In SLU's case, that seems more and more every year to be the dispositive factor, irrespective of the opponent. Kent State lost at Detrot by 1 point; SLU beat Detroit at home by 8 points.

Following up on Taj's post, I had the LaSalle and Richmond road games down as a split, largely because of SLU's road problems. Now, I have to question if SLU can even get that split. SLU should be able to win both of those games, but they are both on the road ...

I know that Majerus is mentally demanding, however... can anyone comment on how physically demanding he is? (i.e. are they running a suicide for every point they lost by in today's practice?) I would CRUSH my team after this. Either that or walk into the locker room and cancel practice and say go do whatever you want.

The scholarship players should have to pay for a class this semester after that performance. I can't believe the university just paid for it. Maybe we need to put them on the Tomahawk Express for the next road game or whatever that deathbox the Indians flew to games in was called.

NOBODY in double figures. Horrible. On Saturday, I want to see them press the whole game and sprint to set every screen. They should be diving for loose balls before the tip-off even leaves the ref's hand. They'd better show me something. I don't even care if we lose again, but they'd better bleed on that floor.

Rather than flogging the team in practice, wouldn't the better approach be to take a step back, loosen the reigns and let the team play ball? Is this team afraid to make a mistake? That's what I mean when I ask if the players are playing like programmed robots.

Personally, I don't like all this wait until next year stuff that I've been reading. The future is now. This current team should be better than it has shown so far. Something is wrong.

Really, what can be learned from a 41 point defeat? Deep six that one and move on. Beat Long Beach State on Saturday.

Rather than flogging the team in practice, wouldn't the better approach be to take a step back, loosen the reigns and let the team play ball? Is this team afraid to make a mistake? That's what I mean when I ask if the players are playing like programmed robots.

Personally, I don't like all this wait until next year stuff that I've been reading. The future is now. This current team should be better than it has shown so far. Something is wrong.

Really, what can be learned from a 41 point defeat? Deep six that one and move on. Beat Long Beach State on Saturday.

Main problem is that we have 2 players on our entire roster that are worth a ######. I mean who on this team other tommie and kevin would be gettting signifigant playing time on a top 80 team? Luke Meyer? maybe.

Main problem is that we have 2 players on our entire roster that are worth a ######. I mean who on this team other tommie and kevin would be gettting signifigant playing time on a top 80 team? Luke Meyer? maybe.

Dwayne Polk

Posted Image

3 goose eggs thus far this year... WTF.

Hey, Dwayne, time to watch some film, to help the team out. Might I recommend the first 20 minutes of this one?

Posted Image

Keep it nice and cool, buddy.

Dwayne the bafftub, Polk's dwowning.

The most positive thing about this game is it's over. Put it behind us and move on. Billiken hoops is under reconstruction it won't be rebuilt this season and maybe not next year, but it's coming.

Couldn't agree more. Look at the talent on the floor. We all knew this would be a tough year, maybe not a "losing by 40 to Kent St" kind of year, but a tough year nonetheless.

We have an elite Coach, a top-flight facility being built, and a recruiting class coming in next year like none we have seen. Things will definitely get better.

I find it comparable to what the fans of Notre Dame are experiencing right now under tje Charlie Weiss. Willingham was getting recruiting classes which ranked in the 30s and 40s. Charlie has to play these guys while waiting for his top 10 recruiting classes to mature/enroll at ND. I am by no means a ND fan, but Weiss will bring Notre Dame back to prominence even though they struggled mightily this year. Rebuilding a program does not happen overnight

Couldn't agree more. Look at the talent on the floor. We all knew this would be a tough year, maybe not a "losing by 40 to Kent St" kind of year, but a tough year nonetheless.

We have an elite Coach, a top-flight facility being built, and a recruiting class coming in next year like none we have seen. Things will definitely get better.

I find it comparable to what the fans of Notre Dame are experiencing right now under tje Charlie Weiss. Willingham was getting recruiting classes which ranked in the 30s and 40s. Charlie has to play these guys while waiting for his top 10 recruiting classes to mature/enroll at ND. I am by no means a ND fan, but Weiss will bring Notre Dame back to prominence even though they struggled mightily this year. Rebuilding a program does not happen overnight

if i buy into your thinking that must mean that ian vouyoukas will be starting in the nba all-star game in February.

Minor error in fact: we are NOT rebuilding. We are, in fact, a never had. We average one blip per decade in the past four and if one occurred in the Seventies, it was before my time. Maybe that is the Harry Rogers' team I don't count in my history. But even if someone says that was it, its still one a decade. Sevenites was Rogers. Eighties was Douglas/Gray/Bonner. Nineties were Clagg. Late nineties were Hughes. We are barren in Ought decade (Miracle in Memphis in 2000 notwithstanding --- it was a miracle because I recall the regular season being somewhat brutal). I find it erroneous to compare this program with Notre Dame football. I unerstand the logic, but I don't think it right to a compare a never had to a storied and legendary program (which, oh by the way, I hate).

We do not have much talent and I saw that the only game I went to, Detroit. I just find it amusing that everyone is saying that now when a couple of weeks ago people thought with the guys we had and Majerus calling the shots this was a surefire NIT team if not more. People felt like we upgraded on a team that won 20 games. If Soderberg was still on the sidelines everyone on here would be calling for his head. Allowing his guys to go on the road and play with a lack of desire and passion and get smashed by a mid-major team like Kent State. This is pathetic and no excuses should be made. I am just waiting to hear some interview with Rick where he publically calls out each of his guys for lacking talent and ability yet assuring that it is not their fault that he wishes he could have coached them from day one. Honestly when I watched them play Detroit I turned to my friend and said if I could not see Majerus on the sideline I would have assumed this was Soderberg up to his old games. Guys passing the ball around the perimeter without really looking to score or to make a play waiting to shoot till the shot clock ran down and on defense guys sitting back and not really pressuring much or trying to force turnovers and tempo and the only guy really attacking the glass is a 6-5 guard being forced to play forward. Where is the heart, where are the guys competing and leaving it all on the court to make up for what they lack in talent and ability? I don't see it and that is what frustrates me. Guys are playing tight and seem to lack that fighter mentality.

We do not have much talent and I saw that the only game I went to, Detroit. I just find it amusing that everyone is saying that now when a couple of weeks ago people thought with the guys we had and Majerus calling the shots this was a surefire NIT team if not more. People felt like we upgraded on a team that won 20 games. If Soderberg was still on the sidelines everyone on here would be calling for his head. Allowing his guys to go on the road and play with a lack of desire and passion and get smashed by a mid-major team like Kent State. This is pathetic and no excuses should be made. I am just waiting to hear some interview with Rick where he publically calls out each of his guys for lacking talent and ability yet assuring that it is not their fault that he wishes he could have coached them from day one. Honestly when I watched them play Detroit I turned to my friend and said if I could not see Majerus on the sideline I would have assumed this was Soderberg up to his old games. Guys passing the ball around the perimeter without really looking to score or to make a play waiting to shoot till the shot clock ran down and on defense guys sitting back and not really pressuring much or trying to force turnovers and tempo and the only guy really attacking the glass is a 6-5 guard being forced to play forward. Where is the heart, where are the guys competing and leaving it all on the court to make up for what they lack in talent and ability? I don't see it and that is what frustrates me. Guys are playing tight and seem to lack that fighter mentality.

I don't disagree, RM has been quick to list excuses (and pass out blame). There should be no excuses. But who does the brunt of the blame fall on, the players or the coach? I know it's a mixture of both, but who gets the lion's share?

I agree 100%. The current team shouldn't lose by 41 to Kent St.

Everybody on this board CALM DOWN. When we win or play a good half like we did with Pacific everybody writes us into the tourney. When we stink up the joint like last night everyone thinks we will never win another game. The reality is somewhere in the middle. I'll take all bets that we will finish above 500 in the A-10. Rick and the team will figure it out.

I agree we are a middle of the pack team, but I think when people at the university did not see winning 20 games as good enough and fired the coach to bring in one of the biggest name guys in the game that you want and expect to see more than that. We have a very impressive recruiting class coming in next year, so things are definitely looking up. I just want to see something from the current team that at least shows progress. I honestly just want to see a group of guys who may not win every night, but is going to be the team playing the hardest; diving for loose balls, taking charges, locking down their man on defense. Show me you are competing and I will show up to another game.