Bernie's Article on Majerus

aj_arete

Maybe I missed it, but it doesn't look like I saw any references to it. Am I reading too much into the article? But it looks like Majerus takes an indirect shot at Soderberg when he talks about wishing he had coached the players earlier. Made it seem like that they might have enough talent, but just lack the passion and desire to truly excel.

Guest BillikenReport

Maybe I missed it, but it doesn't look like I saw any references to it. Am I reading too much into the article? But it looks like Majerus takes an indirect shot at Soderberg when he talks about wishing he had coached the players earlier. Made it seem like that they might have enough talent, but just lack the passion and desire to truly excel.

I didn't see it as a shot at Soderberg.

I'd heard over the summer that RM wished he could coach Husak for at least two years. Based on his comments last night, I'd say Luke is far and away the coach's favorite player. Well, he only gets Luke for one year as well.

- Nate

Any coach would always pefer to have a kid schooled in his system rather than another system.

Guest BillikenReport

Also ... Majerus really just wants as much time possible to work with these players.

He mentioned last night that's he's planning to practice twice a day before and after the Christmas break. He acknowledged that doing so may hurt the team conditioning-wise in January but would help the team get better.

- Nate

i agree with nate. this is about changing defensive thinking and a whole new motion offense. to ask anyone to change the way everything has been drilled into their head and forget every formation and format immediately that is hard to do.

i actually say it is a compliment to the players because he likes what they have just not their way of thinking.

OK, that makes sense. It does appear that Majerus geniunely likes the character of the players. It is such a challenge to change the culture of a basketball team, or any other organization. I'll be interested to see how Majerus works his magic over the year. Will he be able to turn it around this year or will it take another year. Generally, I give a coach 2 or 3 years to establish and build a program. However given the immense sum of money and committment to Majerus, I must admit that my standards will be higher.

OK, that makes sense. It does appear that Majerus geniunely likes the character of the players. It is such a challenge to change the culture of a basketball team, or any other organization. I'll be interested to see how Majerus works his magic over the year. Will he be able to turn it around this year or will it take another year. Generally, I give a coach 2 or 3 years to establish and build a program. However given the immense sum of money and committment to Majerus, I must admit that my standards will be higher.

Well, Brad Soderberg was able to take Lorenzo Romar's leftovers (and people here were saying that Romar had left Soderberg an empty cupboard and claiming that Romar left the program in worse shape than what he inherited) and guided them to two NIT appearances, whereas they had had no postseason in the prior two years. (Recall, Soderberg's initial team struggled early -- even losing its first two games, at home -- but finished the season strong behind a surge Marque Perry led.)

Why can't we expect a great coach like Rick Majerus to wrest a similar recovery, even in his first season? Or do people intend to claim that Soderberg left the program in "even worse" shape than what he inherited, supposedly?

Also ... Majerus really just wants as much time possible to work with these players.

He mentioned last night that's he's planning to practice twice a day before and after the Christmas break. He acknowledged that doing so may hurt the team conditioning-wise in January but would help the team get better.

- Nate

i hear about lengthy practices and then film sessions and this potential two a days, isn't there a limit on practices and practice time?

also, if he is putting them through the paces, wouldn't that increase their stamina and ehlp conditioning?

i hear about lengthy practices and then film sessions and this potential two a days, isn't there a limit on practices and practice time?

also, if he is putting them through the paces, wouldn't that increase their stamina and ehlp conditioning?

do not know, but i would suppose on christmas break there is not.

There are limits on the human body. Marathans can be run every few months but not each day or week. Our starting 5 logged heavy minutes last year and I believe it showed at the end of the year.

Well, Brad Soderberg was able to take Lorenzo Romar's leftovers (and people here were saying that Romar had left Soderberg an empty cupboard and claiming that Romar left the program in worse shape than what he inherited) and guided them to two NIT appearances, whereas they had had no postseason in the prior two years. (Recall, Soderberg's initial team struggled early -- even losing its first two games, at home -- but finished the season strong behind a surge Marque Perry led.)

Why can't we expect a great coach like Rick Majerus to wrest a similar recovery, even in his first season? Or do people intend to claim that Soderberg left the program in "even worse" shape than what he inherited, supposedly?

IMO, Brad left the program in really pretty decent shape. In fact, I would suggest that RM took the SLU, in part, because of KL and TL. Not so sure he would have taken the team as Romar left it.

IMO, Brad left the program in really pretty decent shape. In fact, I would suggest that RM took the SLU, in part, because of KL and TL. Not so sure he would have taken the team as Romar left it.

Agreed. Brad did not leave the program in poor condition. Very rarely does a twenty game winner get fired, but last season was "the season" IMO for Brad. There was no more waiting for next year. If he couldn't dance with Ian, Tommie, Kevin, and the gang...it wasn't going to happen for a long time.

There are some solid Billikens on this roster. What I wouldn't give to have Ian for another year (and actually play the twin towers), but Bryce has performed well so far. Our personnel could be much much worse.

Getting to the NIT then was simply a matter for some of having a winning record and a guaranteed minimum ticket sale to the NIT Committee so the tourney could make money. The reason we did not get to the NIT the last two years is that the NIT changed that approach when they were bought by the NCAA and now it is more a merit matter not like before. Therefore, to say that Brad got the team to play at post season quality is a bit misleading. Please do not take this as a bash on Brad, he and SLU were only playing by the rules at the time.

How can you say that a team with only really 2 truly good players was left in good shape. Never mind that there were no inside players left to speak of who had any real playing experience. Also, the team only had - I think 9 schollie players - somebody help me here - and only 1 fall commit.

I too believe Sodeberg left the program in much better shape then when he inherited it. I also believe, however, that the cupboard might be the barest Majerus has ever seen in terms of his past rosters. Who knows? I admit I never paid attention to whatever Majerus had or did not have at Utah and elsewhere.

I agree with Clock Tower on the body only being able to take so much. It stands to reason that if we are indeed depleted, and Rick demands so much at practice, might it be counterproductive to push guys beyond their proverbial boundaries? Tough thing to ascertain. Does he even know what their boundaries are? I think there is some statistical something or other that says more injuries occur when tired or taking shortcuts. When tired, who doesn't take shortcuts? I asked in the prediction thread some time back what happens if (more likely when) Kevin or Tommie goes down? Think about it, take Lisch out of the lineup for a month. Who shoots the ball? A kid found playing in a charity game for kids without a solid scholarship offer from anywhere? Just think about that for a minute. Heck, shooting would be no problem, even I can shoot. Making them --- ah, there's the rub.

Given that Majerus is known to be a teacher and overly strict on his kids, who wouldn't want kids like this on their team? Maybe with a few more years, he finds the talent Sodeberg couldn't. Polk really is a shooting guard. Husak is a dominant center. Who cannot like Lisch, Meyer and Eberhardt for their internal fortitude? Liddell, despite the bad talk about sitting him and less-than-stellar defense, has taken the criticism very well and said all the right things. These are good kids. My buddy ran into Lisch and the Relaphordes in Pittsburgh. They were pleasant enough and quite accomodating and conversational Good people with good character and speaking to a stranger because he had on the right hat. Doesn't seem to be a shotgun-toting one in the bunch (right now).

I don't know that I am ready to take sides with Steve and say Husak has done well. Four games does not a season make. But I am more agreeable to believe that fifth year players should give a whole lot more than I've seen from Bryce and JJ to date. i just don't know what to think about Brad's talent evaluation skills. I still don't understand how one goes out and recruits guys like Johnson, Newborne, Maguire, Husak, Knollmeyer, Dixson and Ikeafor only to never have them see the light of day on the court. It seems to show that the recruits were signed based on desperation and not talent.

Oh well, this is not meant to bash Brad. You realize however, that even if Brad has signed the class we did yesterday, there would be a good chance that four of them would never make it off the bench to begin with anyway. That could still happen with Majerus, although for now, I doubt it. Again only time will tell.

In answer to Cheese above me ----- he left better players, I guess. I don't remember who Romar left (I could look it up) but Liddell and Lisch and Meyer are way above anything I remember off hand from LoRo.

Getting to the NIT then was simply a matter for some of having a winning record and a guaranteed minimum ticket sale to the NIT Committee so the tourney could make money. The reason we did not get to the NIT the last two years is that the NIT changed that approach when they were bought by the NCAA and now it is more a merit matter not like before. Therefore, to say that Brad got the team to play at post season quality is a bit misleading. Please do not take this as a bash on Brad, he and SLU were only playing by the rules at the time.

This is complete baloney and shows complete ignorance to how NIT and NCAA selection works. The "ticket sales" argument is complete horse crap as the NIT earns its revenue (what little there is) from getting EARLY round games on TV. They can get some gate at MSG but that would depend solely on big name NY area team being there. The tournament is LESS on merit now for the simple fact that regular season conference winners go automatically (regardless of how bad the conference or team is). It would not be hard to argue that the pre-NCAA NIT (at least in its last 5-6 years) was based MORE on objective criteria than the NCAA.

SLU earned their trips on merit the two years they went. They were not great NCAA type teams but they were good and I was proud to root for them. You can disrespect the NIT all you want but there are plenty of good teams that play there and plenty of good basketball is played. They probably deserved a trip last year as well but somebody had to be left out; I am not going to cry about but it is really stupid to suggest they did not deserve it as objectively speaking they were NIT worthy (and the ONLY reason they did not make it was that there were 8 less slots//automatics for low rated conferences).

In answer to Cheese above me ----- he left better players, I guess. I don't remember who Romar left (I could look it up) but Liddell and Lisch and Meyer are way above anything I remember off hand from LoRo.

Marque Perry, Josh Fisher, Chris Sloan (and maybe Kenny Brown) were the key players I remember.

How can you say that a team with only really 2 truly good players was left in good shape. Never mind that there were no inside players left to speak of who had any real playing experience. Also, the team only had - I think 9 schollie players - somebody help me here - and only 1 fall commit.

Cheese. Everything is relative. Don't intend to suggest that Brad left RM a powerhouse of talent but Brad did inherit worse talent:

Brad inhereted only 7 players (4 seniors) and no recruits: Perry, Brown, Diener and Braun (all seniors) as well as Fischer, Sloan and Varner. Top scorer Edwin flunked out, top freshman recurit Pulley also flunked out, Seyfert left the team, the UCLA kid did not come when Romar left and Nick Kern (only recruit) flunked out. Of the 7 guys, the best were seniors with, of course, 1 year left.

RM inherited 8 players and at least 1 recruit: Liddell, Lisch, Meyer, Polk, Brown, Husak, Maguire and Knollmeyer. Relphorde had commited and some claim Barry Eberhart was coming but not yet committed. Of the 9 or 10 guys, the best (TL and KL) have 2 years left.

In short, RM inherited more guys, guys who had more eligibility and, IMO, more talent. Honestly, though, too early to tell what kind of talent some of RM's guys really are since their careers are not over.

This is complete baloney and shows complete ignorance to how NIT and NCAA selection works. The "ticket sales" argument is complete horse crap as the NIT earns its revenue (what little there is) from getting EARLY round games on TV. They can get some gate at MSG but that would depend solely on big name NY area team being there. The tournament is LESS on merit now for the simple fact that regular season conference winners go automatically (regardless of how bad the conference or team is). It would not be hard to argue that the pre-NCAA NIT (at least in its last 5-6 years) was based MORE on objective criteria than the NCAA.

SLU earned their trips on merit the two years they went. They were not great NCAA type teams but they were good and I was proud to root for them. You can disrespect the NIT all you want but there are plenty of good teams that play there and plenty of good basketball is played. They probably deserved a trip last year as well but somebody had to be left out; I am not going to cry about but it is really stupid to suggest they did not deserve it as objectively speaking they were NIT worthy (and the ONLY reason they did not make it was that there were 8 less slots//automatics for low rated conferences).

If we still played in the CUSA conference we would have been in the NIT last year.

Sorry, the way teams are picked now for the NIT is different than 4 years ago - you can believe it or not. You can not tell me that those two NIT teams that Brad had his first 2 years were better than last year's team. The only real difference was the first two years we were in CUSA and the last two we have been in the A10. Also prior to the NCAA taking over the NIT - the TV revenue was not as good as it is probably now so tix sales of early round games was very important then and not so much so now.