Intresting Roundtree article on BillikenReport.com

brianstl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The big ? with Roundtree is eligibility. Does he have test scores in order? I recently talked to coach Reed about it and he was forthcoming with John's results but not Roundtree's.

Curious to why no interest from the Billikens or Mizzou in Roundtree.

i would hope because they (majerus and anderson) respect the system. imo, roundtree committed to siu. unless siu also "decommits" from roundtree, i want slu to honor that. after all that is what we would want from schools if we were in the same boat. imo, that is the honorable thing to do.

i would hope because they (majerus and anderson) respect the system. imo, roundtree committed to siu. unless siu also "decommits" from roundtree, i want slu to honor that. after all that is what we would want from schools if we were in the same boat. imo, that is the honorable thing to do.

I disagree 100%. Torres de-commited. There is no foul play involved at this point. He is now an open target and WANTS to be recruited. Torres is not sure SIU is where he wants to go to school. I think it would be unfair to essentially blackball him from every other school because he apparently made a mistake when he was 16 or 17 in committing too early. Now, I think the whole "verbal commitment" concept is a bunch of BS...but that's for a different thread.

Torch, can we take your comments to mean that Femi's scores are all in order?

I disagree 100%. Torres de-commited. There is no foul play involved at this point. He is now an open target and WANTS to be recruited. Torres is not sure SIU is where he wants to go to school. I think it would be unfair to essentially blackball him from every other school because he apparently made a mistake when he was 16 or 17 in committing too early. Now, I think the whole "verbal commitment" concept is a bunch of BS...but that's for a different thread.

Torch, can we take your comments to mean that Femi's scores are all in order?

maybe the system would indeed work better and players would be less inclined to make the mistake of committing that early without the benefit of open communication if coaches indeed did honor that commit until both the player and school decommit.

yes it was all just a verbal agreement which is worthless, but i like a 3rd party coach that respects that. i hope we have that.

Obviously it's situational, but if Torress called up Majerus and told him that he'd like to come to SLU, I would hope Majerus (as long he thinks Roundtree fits his system, etc.) would be willing to take him. If a kid de-commits and opens up his recruiting without any pressure from us, I see no problem with SLU actively pursuing. However, if he is still "verballed" I agree with Roy.

I agree with Sshoe. If he withdraws his verbal he is fair game. Now if I was SIU, I wouldn't be happy, but as far as SLU goes ... he's available. What you are wanting Roy is the same as signing an LOI.

no i want integrity above and beyond.

if roundtree called me as the head coach, i would say, "son, tell coach lowery to give me a call and if he agrees you are open, we can talk".

hopefully other coaches would do the same.

if roundtree called me as the head coach, i would say, "son, tell coach lowery to give me a call and if he agrees you are open, we can talk".

Well, that is ridiculous. No way Lowery would do that. He is still recruiting him. Of course Lowery wants him to attend SIU. However, at this point, it is as if Roundtree hasn't commited to anybody. He is open. He has reneged on a verbal commitment. Again, what that says about Torre's character is one thing. But he is not commited anywhere. If we are trying to play Mr. Nice Guy, we won't get very far. Follow the rules and honor verbal commitments...I wouldn't want it any other way. If we were to offer this guy we wouldn't be breaking a rule nor messing with a commitment.

If Roundtree has the talent and desire to play at SLU then I would hope RM would look at him. IT WAS A NON-BINDING VERBAL COMMITMENT! HE SIGNED NOTHING! I agree that if a player makes a verbal commitment, then other coaches should stay away. But if the kid changes his mind (as many17 and 18 year olds do) before he signs then that player should be available to recruit. Period.

College coaches seem to come and go as they wish and let recruited players hanging. A young player who changes his mind should at least be able to go back on the market without retaliation from the same coaches who will walk away from them with no notice and owing them nothing. I always thought that players got the short end of the deal. At least allow the kid to change his mind, after he signs, it is an entirely different situation.

The problem you run into by not recognizing a verbal even if the kid wants to back out is, suppose one of your commits is wanted by SIU, we take a kid that they recruited and got a verbal from, then they will try to work one of ours hard. Do you think that Illinois will ever honor a verbal from Indiana again?

The problem you run into by not recognizing a verbal even if the kid wants to back out is, suppose one of your commits is wanted by SIU, we take a kid that they recruited and got a verbal from, then they will try to work one of ours hard. Do you think that Illinois will ever honor a verbal from Indiana again?

great post!!

There's a difference between actively recruiting a player who has already given verbal and one that has de-committed. The problem with comparing this to the Illinois fiasco is that Sampson continued to recruit Gordan after he verballed. There was never any de-committment.

If the kid has withdrawn his verbal, SIU has every right to recruit him. If the Illini kid Gordon? had withdrawn his verbal before being recruited by Indiana, Illinois would have nothing to be upset about. They are 2 different scenarios.

I have to disagree. At this point Roundtree has backed out of his verbal with SIU and made it known that he wants to look around a bit. As far as any one should be concerned Roundtree's recruitment is back open. It is not like we are talking to or continuing to pursue a player who is verballed. Roundtree is no longer a verbal committment for the Salukis and should be treated as such. He wants to explore other possibilities and if Rick thinks he fits into what he wants to build here I hope he goes after him. It would not be us going against a verbal because there is no longer a verbal at this point. SIU has to essentially re-recruit this kid if they want him to be a Saluki.

If the kid has withdrawn his verbal, SIU has every right to recruit him. If the Illini kid Gordon? had withdrawn his verbal before being recruited by Indiana, Illinois would have nothing to be upset about. They are 2 different scenarios.

I agree that there is a distinction to be made between the two scenarios. However, if you believe that SIU will feel that way, I believe you are mistaken. I'm not real wild about recruiting kids that have verballed because it adds the possibility that competing programs will yell "foul", whether it is or not. Appearance of propriety is of value in and of itself.

Nate has an interview with Roundtree up. It is a non-premium article.

http://saintlouis.scout.com/2/673182.html

Sorry, Nate, why is this a Billiken Reort?

The kid expresses no interest in St. Louis. The only tidbit is he is an half brother to Chris Carawell.

CC chose to leave town instead of playing for the Bills unlike Gray, Douglas, and Bonner

As a minimum he wants attention from SIU and Booker

If a major should develop interest is he ready to leave town like his brother?

It would seem his brother would be a better source of infornation maybe then we would have a fresh slant in the article.

We do appreciate you keeping us all advised. Ask some questions!

I agree that there is a distinction to be made between the two scenarios. However, if you believe that SIU will feel that way, I believe you are mistaken. I'm not real wild about recruiting kids that have verballed because it adds the possibility that competing programs will yell "foul", whether it is or not. Appearance of propriety is of value in and of itself.

Jeff Peterson decommitted from Princeton and there was no objection at all on the board to our recruitment of him. I think the sticky issue here is that SIU and SLU are already local rivals and this would just add oil to the fire.

Roy, you are misguided at best, mistaken at worst, in this matter. A verbal agreement is non-binding. Every story I've seen about a recruit's announcement of a choice prior to signing stresses that. Coach Lowery is not allowed to comment on a player until he has a proper letter of intent (something that's not possible right now). He still has to recruit Roundtree until he gets the LOI -- he can't call the coaches of rival programs to make any claim to Roundtree, and he can't ask the NCAA or MVC to intervene. While I think Roundtree should still go to SIU, it has to be his choice, and until he signs the LOI, he's free to choose his school and can change his choice without consequence.

thicks the question wasnt about what roundtree would/could/should do. it was what should the billikens do.

and imo, nothing positive in the basketball community can come of us chasing this kid at this point now. while there is no rule against it, i just think we should stay away from him at this point due to his previous commit.

it also doesnt help my feelings that it so happens one of the all time walk in the gray area tim floyd was the first coach roundtree apparently "went" to when this decommit happened.

hey maybe in the future, those third parties that were so anxious to deliver roundtree to siu 10 months in advance of the loi date might be a little more sure of the recruit in question's true wants.

in truth, i think it is hillarious that the kid has flipped after making a big deal about committing so early and all the supposed innuendo about who was or wasnt paying him appropriate attention 10 months in advance.

all indications are that lowery is letting him sow his oats and waiting patiently. lucky for roundtree.

thicks the question wasnt about what roundtree would/could/should do. it was what should the billikens do.

and imo, nothing positive in the basketball community can come of us chasing this kid at this point now. while there is no rule against it, i just think we should stay away from him at this point due to his previous commit.

it also doesnt help my feelings that it so happens one of the all time walk in the gray area tim floyd was the first coach roundtree apparently "went" to when this decommit happened.

hey maybe in the future, those third parties that were so anxious to deliver roundtree to siu 10 months in advance of the loi date might be a little more sure of the recruit in question's true wants.

in truth, i think it is hillarious that the kid has flipped after making a big deal about committing so early and all the supposed innuendo about who was or wasnt paying him appropriate attention 10 months in advance.

all indications are that lowery is letting him sow his oats and waiting patiently. lucky for roundtree.

I don't think we can not recruit someone because we are afraid SIU will be mad. He withdrew his verbal and is fair game. I don't think we should contact any recruit until he has officially withdrawn his verbal, but once he has ...

I'm Sorry I've been watching this and I can't take it anymore. Billiken Roy you seem to talk about the honor and integrity of Roundtree when you have NO IDEA how the system works. Lowery, like any coach brings in a 16 year old kid and F**king puts on a show. This kid sees this large area built just for him to play in, the coach tells him everything he wants to hear and with stars in his eyes commits to SIU. Now he's looking around and questioning if he made the right decision for him. But wait, Billiken Roy and the moral police come in and say shame on you. You are not a man of God, you must keep your word that you made as a teenager. Roundtree you MUST stay at a place that you don't want to be at. Well screw you Billiken Roy!!! I hope this kid does come SLU and light up the area, just to piss you off. If a kid decommits then he is FAIR game. This isn't breaking any rules and if Lowery is any type of coach he knows this.

I'm sorry if I talked out of place being an outsider, but I thought SLU wanted to be a big time program.

The Gordon issue between IL and IN is completely different than the Roundtree matter. Gordon verballed and was happy to go to IL because he did not want to play for IN once they let Davis go as coach. Once Sampson was hired, Gordon who always wanted to go to IN changed his mind after Sampson contacted him - at least this how it was reported. If Sampson does not contact Gordon then Gordon probably goes to IL. Sampson was wrong with what he did.

Since to our knowledge, no SLU coach or any school for that matter had contacted Roundtree to talk him out of his verbal, Roundtree just changed his mind so any school can recruit him. Lowery is not going to give anybody the green light on Roundtree since he is still trying to get him and I am sure his is using Roundtree's original verbal as leverage to keep him - your a man and men need to be good for their word kind of thing. Many of us wonder about Roundtree's very early verbal and asked why the kid did not wait until this summer - all he as done is decided that he should have waited to make his decision as most thought he should have in the first place.

Back to Weber and how he was screwed by Sampson - Weber got what he deserved because even Roy has reported that Weber never stopped contacting Lisch after he gave his verbal to SLU.