Banquet & B.Com table

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

Who else is going? I'm responsible for 5, including BCPrez. It's at the Busch Student Center, St. Louis room. Business attire. See you there. BTW, when I made my reservation with Brian, he said I was the only one (so far) to mention a Billikens.com table.

I thought the banquet was excellent. I sure wish all of our fans, including many who post negatively on this board could get to know the team and the coaches up close and personal like we were able to do tonight. In my view, it is impossible not to like these kids and the coaches. The thing that jumps out at you is the quality of the kids and the fact that they are the real thing on and off the court. An amazing statistic--Since Brad has been coach we have a 100% graduation rate within 5 years. JJ got two degrees. Bryce is in the MBA program. Luke will be graduating in 3 years and will go into the MBA program next year.

Bob Ramsey was the MC and did a good job. Cheryl is sick so she could not attend so he made some remarks for her.

After dinner Brad gave a talk that was vintage Brad, passionate, direct and straight talk. He described the time last year when he had the team set their goals and they said the NCAA tournament. He told the press that and said they would be disappointed if they did not reach the tournament. Brad said this was a goal the he wanted to hear from his team and they had a very good year with two losses at St. B and against Duschene as a downer in the mid season. He specifcally and directly contracdicted those who said the season was a "failure" and he told the players that they should be proud of the fact that we won 20 games for the first time in 10 years. He emphasized that he admired his team for setting the bar high and even if they did not get that last win or two they still had a fine season.

Brad is extremely upbeat about next season. All he would say about the recruiting was that he thinks it is going well and he gave his two lead assistants credit for the work they have been doing in recruiting this spring.

He also gave credit to many members of the athletic dept and the staff and he specifically had our BlueCrew prez stand for an ovation for the work she has done with the BlueCrew.

He then introduced each player and spoke a little about each one. I was only one table away from the team tables and it was great to see them having fun with their teammates. In terms of specifics, he complimented each player. Some interesting remarks for next season--He said that Bryce H. had improved greatly over this season and he will be a big part of this team next year. He also said he expected AK to play more. He said he wants Dustin to become our Lee Humphrey so that when defense collapse he can be automatic from outside. Obviously, he saved his most complimentary remarks for Tommie, Kevin, Luke and Ian.

At the end the seniors each gave a few remarks. Wendell gave a long oscar type speech that thanked everyone in the room--he is obviously a good guy. JJ was also funny and thanked the coaches and the academic advisors for their help and patience in sticking with him. Ian finished with a shorter speech but very heartfelt in his appreciation for SLU and the way he was accepted here.

Overall, a nice night that ended with a good video of the great plays of the year and other highlights.

As I left, I thought that this is really what college sports should be all about--great kids who play because they love it and have fun, who are highly competitive and yet are real students who graduate.

I know that makes me an idiot who does not understand that the only thing important in college basketball is going to the NCAA tournament but I really enjoyed the evening.

Actually here is my play by play.

Got there at about 5:50 and there were quite a few people there already. I immediately noticed Ian and Bryce. I wonder why? The St. Louis Room at Busch Student Center is nice, bright with lightly painted walls, nice art, and pretty good natural lighting on this beautiful night.

Get behind a tall man in line for a drink who seems to be at the banquet alone (as was I) and ask him if he was a former member of the team. He laughs and says "No, I'm Bryce's dad." Steve Husak turns out to be a super nice guy, in the typical Iowa way, and I think that i'm sure his kid is really nice as well. We talk, mostly about Bryce, and Steve Alford. I have limited knowledge about Iowa, but when Mr. H told me their homestead of Mt. Vernon was near Iowa City, I had the opening I needed. I am a Big 10 fethishist. I silently pray Bryce has a big year next year as he excuses himself. Order a Jim Beam on the rocks (no JD identifiable on the table). Bartender gives me what I would consider a small shot for $4.50. In my inimitable fashion I tip her the 50c and feel good about myself. Speaking of former Bills, I am almost certain there were none - or very very few.

I then eavesdrop for a moment on Grunk while he talks with a couple, the wife having gone to Miami of OH, while Grunk of course went to Ohio. A MAC reunion is not all that it's cracked up to be and I peer around. There are KL, TL, DP, Kramer and Dustin in the corner. I am startled that DP is really no taller than I am. It's hard to believe someone that size can play, but he does it. The players look unbelievably young from my 40 year perspective. And somewhat uncomfortable in the role of dressed-up celebrities. TL is obviously very shy, not that I would have introduced myself anyway - I'm here to badger the coaches. Kramer is buds with these guys obviously. I hope he can make it to campus for real.

I walk over and introduce myself to Brad. He is very friendly and I tell him I think he's doing a great job. I then tell him I'm what's known as a "Kool Aid Drinker" but can introduce him to others, many of whom shall be reading this tale, who are immune to such a concoction. Actually, of course, I don't do that but chat with him about sweet nothings. We part after our brief encounter as he presses the flesh. I notice his wife and kids. A handsome family. His wife remains reserved, content to sit with the kids and closer friends.

Thorpe is talking with the head orthopedic surgeon, Lyndon something or other. Angres looks stylish as usual. Lyndon is probably wearing an expensive suit but it just seems too big for him for some reason. I wonder if I'm not stylistically overmatched here and need some Saville Row tutoring. Can't put my finger on this conundrum. Think that my $40 sportscoat looks DAMN good. I strut like a peacock away from the bar.

Jamal is over there talking with Earl Austin. I have the strong desire to go up and just hug Earl. I have no idea why. No, wait. It's because he seems like such a friendly and happy SOB. A great guy. I quickly get ahold of myself and appreciate that both men are laughing like old friends. Jamal seems quite amiable, both from my observations at the games and again tonight. Brad will later say he is a very good recruiter, one whom alot is expected of. I lose interest in the idea of talking to Earl as I really don't feel like blathering about his hoopsbook-newspaper-retrospective (not that I didn't like it).

I turn around and catch an incredibly beautiful young lady who I eventually surmise, over the course of the evening, is KL's older sister (Am I right?} Excellent, excellent genes in that family. Am acutely aware of my ectomorphology.

Chat with a couple of first year season ticket holders. They, like me, love college hoops and the Bills. Much more than the Rams, I should add, whom they also watch as season ticket holders. I laugh, concur in my distaste for the Rams, and wish my wife had any interest at all in sports- or sex.

Make my way to table 18, my assigned location. I didn't RSVP as member of the Billikens.com table because I didn't feel like burdening Brian Bertuzzi, who from all indications does a helluva lot of work, from the sound of the players and coaches. He was mentioned alot. Perhaps he will be a coach some day. Joanne Propst, recently retired basketball program secretary, and her husband Paul are seated next to me. Excellent people. Brendan, last name unknown to me, former manager and good friend of IV and JJ, is seated next to them. We will talk much Spoon over the rest of the evening. Rest of the table are knowledgeable, friendly longtime season ticketers who have probably never touched a mouse for internet surfing. Oh well, so much for talking pros and cons of Rodney Alexander on this night. The guy on the other side of me says that Brad just told him they entertained a guy from Coffeyville CC this weekend. Will have to look at the CCC roster tonight after the banquet. Excuse myself for another Jim Beam. Tip handsomely (50c).

Rammer is up to begin the formalities. Nice black and gold tie. I really like Bob, especially after he stopped working with that vicious bastard Slaten. Decide not to tell him that. He does a great intro, also excusing Cheryl due to sickness. Sickness, sickness, hmmmm. Are those alarms going off in my head? No one else seems to feel the vibe and then I'm sure I just read this board to much.

He cracks a good joke about the A10 not having all-academic teams (or something of that ilk) and notes the similarity with lack of TV contracts. You possibly had to be there but I liked it. If I knew what Linda Bruno looked like, I would have been thinking about her face. Instead I just have the A10 logo pop up in my head. Rammer notes that Earl Austin is recently engaged. We all clap furiously and there is much laughter. "Do you take this man, in sickness and in health, at high school basketball games 5 nights a week, till........?" Bob is a true pro. 17 years and counting.

Father Grollmes delivers the benediction. He may have a South American accent to my ear. Or he may be Irish.

Dinner. Very good. Filet mignon, mashed potatos, green beans, fantastic salad. Much conversation about Spoon and his wife. She really liked to travel the world from all accounts. Him not so much. Joanne Propst has very good things to say about the hoopsters over the years. Dobbs, McCauley, Highmark, Clags, AB, Fisher, Perry, Justin, the list goes on and on, but it's all good. H Waldman singled out by the women at the table as being gorgeous. I don't remember feeling that way for some reason. The conventional wisdom about Vashon is felt at this table, tonight - that AB is having a difficult time, that Floyd was, and is, difficult to deal with vis a vis SLU. Someone mentions they wish AB could assist at SLU for recruiting purposes. I think to myself it will have no effect at Vashon, anyway. I look around and notice the true paucity of African Americans there tonight. Still, a great crowd, well dressed to a T, and attractive people all over, yound and old.

Facutly rep/academic guy Micheal Ross talks at length about the student athletes at SLU. Frankly it is very impressive, but I'm having a tough time not staring at KL's sister. Still, Brad's- and SLU's - record of graduating athletes is phenomenal. SLU grads, you should be very proud. Me? I am a Mizzou grad and have let that portion of my brain wither into icy indifference.

Now it's Brad's turn. He is a good speaker. I think he's good because he is an earnest, and honest, guy. He has a way of communicating that, to me, is heartfelt without veering into sappiness or unbelievability. He talks about EVERYONE at length, the SID staff, the academic people, the president of the Blue Crew, the secretarial staff (Did you guys know the basketball secretary is the daughter of former OSU basketball coach, Jim O'Brien? The one who was fired before Thad Matta was hired. I felt bad for this woman for some reason, even though she is probably very happy having just had a baby) the assistants, Rammer, Earl, the players, the season: a long stemwinder of a speech. He is on fire for a while, obviously feeling the pressure that this season brought,not reveling in it but not crushed either by the lack of better success. He acknowledges having a slight chip on his shoulder over some of the criticism he has taken this year. Bernie, can you hear me?? He is unfailing in his credit and praise of the players tonight. Each one, from Mike Jones to IV. A player's coach, I think. But aren't they all, sometimes? Brad has been at 7 universities. I wonder if there are more to come.

The seniors get up and each gives a nice few words about their time at SLU and the team. Wendell seems genuinely happy, as does JJ. They thank everyone and both are obviously close to Thorpe - heck, I think both literally referred to him as a father figure. I may be wrong on that but the implication is clear - Angres is the good cop in this precinct. IV is reserved, as is his way, but he is good and gracious and I think he'll probably be missed more than many think. But I hope not, of course, I want to go to the tourney next year.... Each Sr. gets a framed white game jersey. Eternal youth. Nice.

Brad again with the awards: Defensive POY - DP. Most Improved - Tommie. Billiken Award (maximizes talent)- KL. Luke wins something or two, I can't remember what exactly maybe academic, someone will remember.

Highlight video plays, maybe three minutes long. The highlight, for me, is the end of the MSU game. Was the basket late? Good God Yes. Do I care? I care about as much as hearing Barry Hinson tell another BS downhome Southern drawl faux folksy Ozark yarn. The Tommy dunk is played to great effect. The rest is a haze, typical highlight reel fodder.

Rammer gives IV one last salute and a goodbye OPAAAA! It is very fitting. 2006-2007 ends.

Not much else I believe. Has this been atmospheric enough? If not, you'll have to show up next year with us. A great night of fellowship and friends among the true Blue-bloods. It's only 40 bucks and it's a fun way to feel good about a quality program. And the siblings.

the two things that stuck out in my mind was the availability the players were before the banquet and the fantastic academic report that dr ross gave.

when we got there my daughter had printed some pictures that she wanted the players to sign and every one was so cordial and articulate towards us.

as billikan stated, we should be very proud of our team. they accomplished a lot. and stand for all the good things about college athletics.

satrap, awesome report! you have a nice writing style.

btw, kevin's younger sister and fellow billiken teresa was there not his older sister stephanie.

and last the luke meyer award you couldnt remember was "most inspirational billiken".

satrap

Great write up. Your educational experience at Mizzou seems to be paying dividends. Don't worry, besides SLU, I am a Mizzou, Illini and SIUC fan - have trouble getting excited about SW MO State though.

For those of us that don't have a degree from the above mentioned institutions (I went to Rolla), what does "ectomorphology" mean?

Thanks

I got it also. I wouldn't mind going if I can. I usually go to the banquet, and thought I was this year, but couldn't. The vball is very nice also. I've been and I highly recommend it.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

After going to the banquet last night, I support Brad even more than I did before. In fact, I think everyone that was there last night couldn't help but be on Brad's side.

The thing that stuck out the most to me about the night (which others have mentioned) was when Brad talked about not reaching their goal of reaching the NCAA Tournament. He said that they set a very lofty goal (which he wouldn't want any other way and he was very proud of) and that just because they didn't achieve that goal, that doesn't mean the season was a failure. There were a lot of successes this season and I am very proud of the entire team. I am now more than ever convinced that Brad Soderberg is the man who WILL get us to the Tournament.

P.S. Thanks again UNCA for the invite!! It was a phenomenal time!! :)